Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Now, for my quick question: What benefits do one get when one enter a Permanent Alliance with an AI?

You can get all their resources, similar to vassals. You can send them your old units to upgrade. You tech together and thus faster.

The downside of course is that they can practically steal all world wonders and projects from you.

You can get all their resources, similar to vassals. You can send them your old units to upgrade. You tech together and thus faster.

The downside of course is that they can practically steal all world wonders and projects from you.

Ah, thanks. Interesting...

I'm not sure what you meant about "send them my old units to upgrade", though.

You mean, I move my old units to their culture area, then I can upgrade my units if, for instance, they already have an upgrade I don't have? E.g.: I haven't researched all requisite techs for Cavalry, but they have, so I can send my Knights there and upgrade them to Cavalries?

Ah, thanks. Interesting...

I'm not sure what you meant about "send them my old units to upgrade", though.

You mean, I move my old units to their culture area, then I can upgrade my units if, for instance, they already have an upgrade I don't have? E.g.: I haven't researched all requisite techs for Cavalry, but they have, so I can send my Knights there and upgrade them to Cavalries?

You can gift units in an AIs territory to that AI, it isn't limited to permanent alliances or vassals/masters or anything. The advantage is that the AI gets a 50% discount on upgrades.

The other problems are,
That it screws up your diplomacy as AIs dealing with you will use the average of what they think of you and what they think of your ally rounded down (just like they do when you have vassals) and the GUI doesn't tell you this. It can lead to a lot of ridiculous situations, such as worst enemies at 'friendly', but at least its more understandable with permanent alliances than vassals.
The AI, having access to all your techs will happily give them away to other AIs....

Considering the late game tech requirements, and need to share a war for so long I don't think i've ever seen a situation where a PA would actually be worth it.

@ Lennier:

With three religions being optimal for a cultural win, is it better to get the earlier religions, or the later ones? I would tend to think the earlier ones because you can start to build culture sooner rather than later, but I'm curious to know if I'm right.

I rarely found a religion, but I'm exploring new playstyles in my games and I would like to use religion more effectively. I've also only ever had one cultural victory and it was by accident (I wasn't trying for one).
I'm not an expert on cultural victories; I've only done it twice.

Spoiler :
First time was Vanilla in a Chieftain game where I stopped conquering short of a domination victory and started going culture to see the cultural victory win screen. The second was my first Monarch game where I started going for domination, but when the dust settled everyone left was in one big Hindu love-fest and my empire was too spread out to defend from a dog pile. I didn't have the skills to get one last empire voting for me for a diplo win, and I figured a late cultural victory would be faster than going for space.

Getting religions earlier would generally be better, as it would give you more time to spread them around your empire and build temples. However, you don't have to found them yourself. While it might be tempting to in order to get a shrine, you'd probably be better off using an odd GPro that got generated to start a golden age to generate more GAs. (Yes, I know you don't like golden ages.)

AFAIK, only the state religion adds culture output to a city.
Unless you're in free religion, in which case each religion generates 1 :culture: per turn in a city. But that's not why you want multiple religions when going cultural.
So, it's not necessary to get the earlier religions. After all, you can't effectively leverage multiple religions until you can build temples + monasteries + cathedrals for all the religions... and that last one require a huge number of :hammers:
Exactly. What you really want are those cathedrals in your legendary-designate cities for the multipliers.

Best civ to get Culture victory?
I'm sure I've seen threads dedicated to this question. If you do a search of the forum, I'm sure you'll find them.

Thank you for the answer.

But that's not why you want multiple religions when going cultural.
Why do you want multiple religions, then?

Thank you for the answer.

Why do you want multiple religions, then?

He is saying that you don't want multiple religions to directly generate culture. You want them to generate culture due to their buildings. Monasteries, churches, and cathedrals all generate culture. The first two only one (church) or two (monastery) per turn but it adds up over time. However, the goal is to build enough churches of each religion (9 in normal, 12 in marathon) to enable you to build a cathedral of each religion in your three cities that are aiming for Legendary status because of the multiplier effect that they give to culture.

And I won't even mention espionage-assisted cultural victories...whoops!

And I won't even mention espionage-assisted cultural victories...whoops!

I have heard multiple times about this but to this day I couldn't find out how exactly this is supposed to work. Is it about using the broken No Espionage game option?

Quick question. Trying to build a Heroic Epic however it's grayed out. I have a barracks, literature and an axeman with 6/7 experience. Does that unit need to be in the city I'm trying to build the Epic in? Thanks

I have heard multiple times about this but to this day I couldn't find out how exactly this is supposed to work. Is it about using the broken No Espionage game option?
No, its from the spread culture mission which adds (your) culture to a city, an amount equal to 5% of the total culture of all civs in the city.
The idea being to build up an AIs city to legendary culture for you before capturing it.

I'm pretty sure Liz is the undisputed queen of this.
Quick question. Trying to build a Heroic Epic however it's grayed out. I have a barracks, literature and an axeman with 6/7 experience. Does that unit need to be in the city I'm trying to build the Epic in? Thanks
Your unit doesn't have enough experience, it need enough to take a 3rd promotion (ones that it starts with don't count), so 10xp, or 8xp if your using a Charismatic leader.

He is saying that you don't want multiple religions to directly generate culture. You want them to generate culture due to their buildings. Monasteries, churches, and cathedrals all generate culture. The first two only one (church) or two (monastery) per turn but it adds up over time. However, the goal is to build enough churches of each religion (9 in normal, 12 in marathon) to enable you to build a cathedral of each religion in your three cities that are aiming for Legendary status because of the multiplier effect that they give to culture.
OK, now it makes sense. Thank you. :)

The concept of espionage-assisted culture victory interested me a lot when I first heard about it, primarily because I've always felt that I under-use espionage in general and was looking for ways to make better use of it.

Most of the good info I've found about it in the following:
A post by Kaitzilla detailing the mechanism itself is here and a thread discussing opinions regarding its use is found here.

Is there any reason that one coastal city cannot build naval units other than work boats after the necessary techs have been researched? I have metal casting and sailing and all my other coastal cities can build triremes and galleys but one city can only build work boats.

How many tiles are in the body of water that the city is on? I believe it has to be a certain size before ships can be built.

How many tiles are in the body of water that the city is on? I believe it has to be a certain size before ships can be built.

Water must be 20 tiles in area before it is considered a proper sea/ocean. But a "freshwater lake" has a maximum size of 9 (I think?) tiles. So anything between that is a (more or less) useless "inland sea".

How many turns have to pass between anarchy on quick speed? I believe it's 5 on normal. Is it same for all gamespeeds or different?

I've always been running BUFFY (HoF) mod, and am not sure if the 'wait between revolts' is a BUFFY or game itself feature. I'm not sure it was just added to BUFFY (to stop the strike/unit abandon exploit) or to the 3.19 BtS patch.

nvm all that.

I just want to know how long I have to wait if I switch civics / religion to be able to do it again on quick speed.

thanks

EDIT:

just checked, and it's also 5 turns :mad:

And 5 turns between civic changes on marathon as well. One of several game features that should, but don't, scale with speed.

Is there a custom map of just Italy out there? I've been searching for a while now and can't find any. Ideally it would include all of Italy to the Alps, as well as Corsica and Sardinia, and Sicily. It wouldn't hurt if it included a little bit of North Africa or Dalmatia or Southern France, but that's not necessary and I'd probably cut it out if it had it.

Last night I ended up with 3 idling Great Generals. I had planned on using them to build a second military generator (quasi-westpoint, so to speak), but when I captured Pacal's capital... why, he's already got three great generals there working as military instructors!

What do you suggest I do with these three sleeping generals? Found a third military generator city?

I'm not aiming for Conquest victory, so I'm not really sure if making a 3rd military city would be useful...

Top Bottom