Current v1.13 Development Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indian settler cost was reduced? When? To what?

Sorry about that, I was just trying to make a point. My bad.

I actually somewhat echo Fresol's sentiment, although in less harsh terms.
No matter what I try, unless playing as a Euro or Ottomans, I just can't win Dom like I used to
and typically settle for Religious Victory now.

I tried playing again and rolled a few starts and was just saddened at being hard-walled at many opportunities for things I used to do without too much of a problem
(Argentina spawning against British MGs, Mali encountering Barb Camel Archers turn 2 when I'm trying to rush Moors, Italy just... being Italy).
It's a bit frustrating.

Leoreth doesn't have the time to test every civ himself and adjust it to a level where beating it is achievable and I understand that.
But as I say time and time again, if we had some serious separation of Human and AI expectations and standards, I think we could solve many of our problems.
Most of the current problems affecting balance relate to stability and unsuccessfully balancing the needs of a Human or AI instance of a civilization.

Sorry, derailing current talk for another thing:

I think that AI India is somehow too powerful on Epic/Marathon speeds. On Normal they seem to be okay but in those longer difficulties they usually get the conquerors, explore the world, etc. Maybe tone down the AI a bit? Not the human, last time I played India it was pretty hard with the barbarians, persians and tamils in the way.

On the contrary, AI Britain seems to be collapsing a lot. I'm not complaining about it's loss, Britain is way too powerful compared to the rest of the world but I don't really think that should be happening. Britain is one of the few nations that didn't really fall into complete anarchy after being created and seeing a bunch of independents there is kind of odd. Surprisingly, their collapse is never caused by overextention; usually when they collapse they have 1-2 cities outside Britain. Why do they collapse?

Maybe I'm just lucky or unlucky in my games but does anyone else see this kind of pattern occurring?

India can be a problem on normal too. My last game as China they discovered the Inca in like 1250 AD and were getting pretty advanced. I think the solution there is AI India should be more likely to collapse, they especially need to be gone by the time Mughals spawn.

Britain isn't the only European civ that collapses often, but i've actually seen less of unstable England. In my games its normally Vikings and Holy Rome that usually kick the bucket too early/often.

Didn't this mod have different music depending on your religion or region? I can't find it anywhere in this mod's folder, nor do I hear it in-game, but I'm sure I once read this?

Didn't this mod have different music depending on your religion or region? I can't find it anywhere in this mod's folder, nor do I hear it in-game, but I'm sure I once read this?
You need to install the music module to get most of this feature.

You need to install the music module to get most of this feature.
I suspected as much, but where do I find this?

EDIT: Ah, the search function actually worked - thank you! :)

India can be a problem on normal too. My last game as China they discovered the Inca in like 1250 AD and were getting pretty advanced. I think the solution there is AI India should be more likely to collapse, they especially need to be gone by the time Mughals spawn.

Britain isn't the only European civ that collapses often, but i've actually seen less of unstable England. In my games its normally Vikings and Holy Rome that usually kick the bucket too early/often.

Yeah, I don't really play Normal speed (I cant load late game and the early/medium game goes too fast on normal) but I notice when I play as a Mughal 3000 BC, there's usually a super India ready to destroy me. Or I can't even keep Varanasi because there's too many Indian troops.

I guess I've been "lucky" to see England collapse in a lot of my games then, maybe just a coincidence. But I assume the Vikings/Holy Rome were meant to collapse early? It's their late game counterparts (Sweden/Austria) that need to be looked it. It's very weird, respawned civs like Greece, Egypt, Austria, Sweden and Peru almost always collapse after they respawn for almost no reason, even if they're doing okay (Sweden is guilty of this a lot)

Yeah, I don't really play Normal speed (I cant load late game and the early/medium game goes too fast on normal) but I notice when I play as a Mughal 3000 BC, there's usually a super India ready to destroy me. Or I can't even keep Varanasi because there's too many Indian troops.

I guess I've been "lucky" to see England collapse in a lot of my games then, maybe just a coincidence. But I assume the Vikings/Holy Rome were meant to collapse early? It's their late game counterparts (Sweden/Austria) that need to be looked it. It's very weird, respawned civs like Greece, Egypt, Austria, Sweden and Peru almost always collapse after they respawn for almost no reason, even if they're doing okay (Sweden is guilty of this a lot)

Yes, something is very wrong with vikings. Even if they don't overextend i often see them collapse to core. It happens even when they haven't lost copenhagen to someone.

Holy Rome though should stay alive and transition to Austria as it does now, otherwise Prussia will steamroll central Europe, Napoleon will debut early, or the Ottomans will win the battle of Vienna and even invade Italy.

Russian 600 AD m/epic 915 SVN:

Sent 2 horse archers to east, 1 to conquer Merv and capture workers from Arabs, 1 to conquer barb Kashgar and Dunhuang, they generated great merchant later.

Japanese before 1000 AD would trade civil service, with luck you can buy it with all techs plus some money. I bought it at all cost. Koreans would trade aesthetics and drama.

3rd horse archer go to found Khelsinki with settler, Vikings always send workers to build road there, so I easily captured 3 after I bought fishing and sailing from them.

City planning: Moskva - Caricyn(3E3S) - Khelsinki - Ryga - Spas de Kholmu (plain hill with access to fur, chop forest near Khelsinki), that's all before astronomy. Switch to warrior code, Moskva build barracks and horse archer, my 4th HA went raze Samarkand, 5th attacked Kiev along with initial force.

All cities spam warriors until 1000. I used horse archer to capture workers from Holy Rome and made peace.

I fought Vikings, captured Stockholm, made peace; declared war with Poland after their 10-turn peace. Captured Gdansk and they surrendered. I went on fighting Germans and captured Lubeck & Frankfurt, another vassal get. Fought Vikings again and razed Copenhagen(Polish vassal helped a lot), made space for Lubeck, and they capitulated. I went on fighting Franks, pillaged a bit and made peace, I also capitulated Italians. Army went home for Mongols afterwards.

My great merchant brought me enough gold (2000, Nanjing. BTW, shouldn't GM gold scale up with game time?)to research guild on my own. Switched and built forge everywhere. Luckily, Mongol conquerors appeared near Dunhuang, Kashgar and Caricyn, I let them capture the former 2 and destroyed they stack in Europe. My SOD then conquered Merv, Iran, Iraq and then India. I built another settler and founded a good city in Transxonia - 2N from Samarkand, on flood plain cotton.

Meanwhile, I researched patronage, switched to Catholicism, began wonder building and spammed spies. My first great spy brought me divine right, engineering and gunpowder from Turks, 2nd brought me military tradition from French, 3rd military science from French(it's rare for them), And I stole astronomy from Netherlands around 1600. Astronomy came quite late in this game.

I conquered Levant and Egypt in 14th century, Konya and Constantinople in 15th, Turkey capitulated. English collapsed by themselves. No one could stop me now. Now it is 1696, I discovered communism and rifling, popped a great statesmen, waiting Leoreth to fix the reform government bug so I can fight Prussians then.

New commit:
- if tech cost modifiers exist, they are displayed in the tech tooltip
- increased tech costs for England, Netherlands, Portugal, India
- slightly reduced Chinese tech costs
- the Chinese UP now allows them to ignore tech penalty for techs nobody has discovered yet
- costs for units produced with food are modified by the civ modifiers for city growth now
- streamlined many modifiers to produce nicer numbers (increments of 5)

New commit:
- increased tech costs for England, Netherlands, Portugal, India

Will need to test and see how Portugal is affected. Portugal normally lags behind in tech until they get their empire, then they become a powerhouse a la netherlands & England. Those two definitely needed the nerf though.

Sidenote: Spain and Portugal should be encouraged to research gunpowder more. I've found they often skip this on their way to Astronomy and thus delay their trading company events.

Yes, feedback is welcome. I took the chance to nudge several modifiers for certain civs in one direction or the other based on more or less my gut feeling while rounding them, so several things might be out of whack from this revision on.

I have one question,
And I may just be blind....

Can we play as the Colombians? I tried to start a game with them and could not find them on the 1700ad list at all

Start as Argentinians and change civ after one or two turns when you get the prompt.

From playing as India, it looks like the workers don't spawn after acquiring Varanasi.

Also, does the new commit nerf India's settler speed?

New commit:
- fixed attitude penalty from declaring war on independents
- you can build cottages on oasis tiles now
- reduced oasis commerce by 1

From playing as India, it looks like the workers don't spawn after acquiring Varanasi.

Is that because of the change in how the workers are generated?

New commit:
- if tech cost modifiers exist, they are displayed in the tech tooltip
- the Chinese UP now allows them to ignore tech penalty for techs nobody has discovered yet

I started Chinese game and could not see this in practice. Namely Babylon had Animal Husbandry while I was still in the middle of researching it and nothing changed. I gather because no one had AH yet -- I had no penalties at the beginning. But when Babylon got it first -- my research had to go slower, right? Well, it did not, I had the same number of turns as before. Plus tooltip did not show any modifiers/penalty numbers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom