The Shogunate

Vassal States? And do you want to choose the map?

• Vassals, But I'd like to chose from the maps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Vassals, just start the story

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Vassals, just start the story

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No Vassals, but I wouldn't mind choosing maps to chose the most interesting.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Turquoiside

Emperor
Settings:
Tokugawa of Japan
Normal
Pangaea, (To prevent the Terra nightmare in the previous story)
Prince
Vassal States?

On to the story I guess. The Cast section will only be in this post so I don't have to paste it everytime. This time, I will ocassionally break into descriptive format, as the Byzantine story was hard to describe in just script format. The names will be refered to as if those are the real names in the case of Tokugawa and Meiji.

The Cast:
The King of Edo: (The 1st) Tokugawa
The Foreing and Domestic Advisor: The 1st Emperor of Meiji, simply Meiji
The Military Advisor: Yoritomo Minamoto
The Religious advisor: Ono Yasomaru
The Scientific Advisor: Sato Nobuhiro
The Foreigners: The A.I.

Tokugawa, king of Edo looked upon his small domain. It was a decent settlement, much more advanced than its surroundings. They people of Edo were part of the Japanese culture group. But Edo, was a place to respected, and even feared. It held the strongest army in all of Japan. Their warriors even now explored their world and looked for less advanced people to establish rule over. Kyoto and Tokyo were the enemies, people who claimed to be just as civilized. But, they did not know the wheel, their cities weren't line with glorious roads that were common of Edo.

Tokugawa: How long will it be?
Yoritomo: I can't say but 25 turns before we can make the move
Tokugawa: Turn?
Sato: Yes, is should be in about then. Meanwhile, let's start on Mysticism. Religion will be a powerful way to control the other nearby city-states
Tokugawa: Indeed. Now we wait.

Or better yet, lets get picky about his name even more. Lets use Japanese. Tokugawa no Edo.

Yes, on the King subject it maybe should be shogun. Nbut he doesn't really own much yet, so he is more like a king or maybe a Daimyo. The first part is coming now...

Upon Tokugawa's rise to the throne in Edo, he realized the problem with Japan. It was more or less a small apendage to the mainland, and including Edo it could only hold four major cities. A substantial desert separated the Japanese from the western inhabitants of the southern continent. By this time early ancestors of the Romans, who were in a geographic situation similar to Edo. In the Far Southeast, the Russian civilization reigned over much of the region. All that remained was barbarian territory, a land of jungle and, supposedly, giant cats. Hiring armed hitherto nomadic mercenaries under the soon-to-be-famous Yoritomo, the tribe of Daiymo Sato was soon incorporated into Edo lands. At last, now Edo gained some safety at the crossroads of Japan. More importantly, they gained valuable knowledge of Mysticism from the ones they conquered. This acquistion oped the north of Edo and let Edo in to the easy Lower Lands...
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Tokugawa: A start like no other! It seems your people are actually worth something Sato
Sato: Indeed, more than this trashy city. The smooth ground feels so odd.
Yoritomo: You get used to it. Over time. Like how you'll forgive for destroying your fishing vessels
Tokugawa: Yes, such things are unimportant when we can live off the ground underneath our feet!
Sato: We should move toward Polytheism, we have a great oppurtunity to be first in the world to understand it.
Tokugawa: How about you handle the science department? I'm more worried with Kyoto. Daimyo Meiji up there is starting to become strong.
Yoritomo: ...How is he a Daimyo if he -
Tokugawa: Add that question to the list of questions you're not supposed to point out. You can think, but don't ask!
Yoritomo: Mercenary action then?
Tokugawa: Yes. Now away, I need to figure out where we are and where to go...and where my place is in the universe,and where all the other civilizations are
3640 B.C.

Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG

Tokugawa: So, you're the leader of the grand empire I've heard about
Peter: And...Who are you? You don't look Russian
Tokugawa: That's because I'm not, I'm actuall from-
Peter: Whatever, it sounds like a great place. Russia greets you with well intentions...and in a drunked stupor
Tokugawa: Drunked?
Peter: Hey, I'm not drunk! In Russia we use incense to... well see for yourself
Tokugawa: I think I'll pass.
Peter: No, insist. It's the only thing the stuff's good for anyway
Tokugawa: Right... we're done here Peter.
Peter: I insit. Try it. Guards!
Tokugawa: If your guards are even half as 'drunked' as you, I should be able to walk right pass them.
Peter: Well why not?
Tokugawa: I have a nice city to run, and I'm perfectly content as it is
Peter: But this could make it even better!
Tokugawa: Fine...
3440 B.C.-3200 B.C.
Sato: Hinduism has been founded in Edo!
Tokugawa: That's nice. I lied no it's not it means we wasted time researching Polytheism instead of Mining
Yoritomo: Yes, yes, and more importantly we are 5 turns from mobilizaing in invasion force of Kyoto
Tokugawa: That's nice
Sato: Does Tokugawa seem a little off?
Tokugawa: I'm fine. That Russian guy gave me this 'incense' when I met him... I must have more! It feels like I've
Sato: Oh. Maybe we should look down a path to Medicine
Tokugawa: Medicine?
Yoritomo: Forget the medicine, the exploring army dispersed more tribes. One of them had peculiar pots and vases inside. We brought them back to Edo and they seem to have been figured out. They call it Pottery.
The new Edic people rapidly moved into the Kyoto region. Soon finding inside the city better than the surrounding areas, Yoritomo organized the final assult.
2800 B.C.
Tokugawa: I'm invincible! Another victory for Edo
Meiji: Edo? Bah! I've been caputured and deposed by hooligans of Edo?
Yoritomo: Hey, I captured you, not Edo...
Tokugawa: Yeah, Yoritomo's the hooligan, not my people. Not like your opinion mattes now
Meiji: Doesn't it?
Tokugawa: No. I'm jailing you. Your tribe had nothing, unlike Sato's. Soldiers of Edo, to the pits with him
Sato: Ha! You and your city are trash to us!
Tokugawa: A fitting place for one such as yourself, no?
Meiji: No. Isn't there anything I can do?
Tokugawa: Not unless you happen to know the Russians
Meiji: They come to Kyoto all the time! I even have their territory mapped.
Tokugawa: Then it's settled: you will take our armies to Russia!
Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG

Turn 37, 2520 B.C.

Messenger: Prepare to be dazzled! The great city of Rome has decided to visit this town!
Tokugawa: Town? This is the seat of power of the civilized world.
Julius: Civilized? You dance in a primitive religion, that while admirably cute is the only civilized thing I see. We have the religion of Rome. Rome has the great Woodhenges of Rome. What do you have?
Tokugawa: Well for one we're building a 'Woodhenge' of stone here
Julius: Stone! Duh, why didn't we think of that? Wait, who'll say we didn't!
Tokugawa: We might....
Julius: You mean like the great cultures of Madrid? Like the one of Seoul? Many of thses growing civilizations exist worldwide. All are greater than Edo, none are greater than the Roman one....of Rome

Turn 39, 2440

Messanger: Presenting, her holiness, descended from the Buddha himself, Queen Isabella of all Spain!
Tokugawa: What is this Buddha blasphemy?
Isabella: I do not blaspheme! What are those icons of heathen doing not on fire?
Tokugawa: Edo is a holy enclave of stability in a sea of trouble. We spread order across the land and-
Isabella: We holily spread Buddhism across the land. Therefore, your unholy religon must be burnt.
Tokugawa: You can't burn a religious idea.
Isabella: You can if you're as holy as we are.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 283
2400 B.C.

Tokugawa: Those other leaders were seriously delusional
Sato: Indeed, the rulers so far have been universally incompotent; it's enough to make you lose faith in government. In lighter news:

(Image is in previous post if it doesn't work above)
Tokugawa: 2 holy cities! We're sure to have major religion now!
Sato: Oh, you'd think that wouldn't you....
Yoritomo: I'm no expert, but wouldn't it help if we actively spread the faith using missionaries?
Sato: Well it would, of course, but who do you know who loves their faith so much they'd be willing to go to Rome just to spread its influence?
Yoritomo: The Romans made it sound like a pretty good place, but I guess you have a point there

2320 B.C.
Meiji: We captured Moscow, the Russian capital! In about 20 or so turns you'll be able to use the 'incense' to your heart's content
Tokugawa: It's been like 500 years since I asked for it. I'd been having a 'hangover' for the last few turns... But I'm over it now
Sato: A lack of proper judgement would explain why we didn't have a single worker until we took one from Russia. This does not bode well
Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG

Yoritiomo: Stonehenge, built in a distant land.
Tokugawa: Distant land? It obvious those cheeky Romans stole our idea

Civ4ScreenShot0032.JPG
Tokugawa: I'd be happy if this didn't mean we're about to get around four Great Spies unless we quickly switch to Writing
Isabella: The holy land offers you Open Borders so that your nation of infidels have a chance to burn in a nicer section of the eternal inferno that is our world
Tokugawa: How can you call us a nation of infidels? We don't even have a state religion
Isabella: But you will, and then Holy Spain will launch a holy crusade to punish your unholy people with our holy military
Tokugawa: We could send some of our armies up into Madrid you know
Yoritomo: If they hadn't mostly been destroyed taking Moscow
Isabella: If I stayed much longer, your citizens would start to feel quite uncomfortable in the presence of my superior holiness.

Yoritomo: Edo built an Orcale to better communicate with the gods. They told us to stop refusing Open Borders
Tokugawa: We were already going to sign one with Rome anyway
Ono Yasomaru: Greeting from Moscow!
Tokugawa;: Another non-sober from Russia I assume?
Ono: Actually, I was part of the armies that were sent to capture it
Tokugawa: SO why have you come here?
Ono: To preach the word of God!
Tokugawa: Oh. Another native pagan
Ono: No, were from a new religion! I've studied world religions and culminated my own beliefs. Most have and we have summed it up in our new religion of Christianity!
Tokugawa: First person who introduces him to their sword wins his wife! Go!
Ono: You're making a huge mistake! If you let me spread my new faith in Rome, their citizens would flock to our lands and make us rich!
Tokugawa: That's suspiciously selfish...but I suppose I could let you go...
True to his word, Ono spread Christianity to Rome while also bringing back stories of magnificent cities and buildings. One owrd then dominated Tokugawa's mind: Expansion....the empire must expand!
Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG

Hey. I forgot to subscribe to this thread when you started it, and finally found it. Nice start. 3 holy cities!

Isabella: You rang?
Tokugawa: Yes. I've learned from my horrible mistakes. You certainly are the wisest of all the holy on this planet
Isabella: Oh, of course. I'm glad you've seen the ways of Buddha
Tokugawa: In the hopes some Spanish will rub off on all my peasants, I offer your holy land an Open Borders with us submissive heathens
Isabella: The slaught- errr conversion of your people shall begin!
Tokugawa: Slaughter Conversion?
Isabella: Holy ones do not kill....you'll learn about that when you're holy
Ceasar: You rang?
Tokugawa: Here's the deal: Open Borders for Open Borders
Caesar: Yes, it is a good deal! Let's hope your people don't get too excited when they finally see the glorious cities of Rome!
Wang Kon: I am -
Tokugawa: Leaving. Your not allowed here.
Wang Kon: I am insul-
Tokugawa: And redundant Now go fester in Korea and stagnate like you always do
Wang Kon: Fester? Korea is grand nation.
Tokugawa: Anything you could do, even Peter could do better.
Wang Kon: Open Borders?
Tokugawa: Sure.
Roosevelt: America says 'Hello'
Tokugawa: Japan says 'Good-bye'; we're not interested in associating with more Buddhists
Roosevelt: Don't be that way. Then we're going to have to 'restore order' in Edo and give it a nice Buddhist favor

Christian Missionary: Ieaysu sir! We need direction
Tokugawa: Go convert Rome to your faith
Missionary: We already hit Rome.
Tokugawa: Then Korea
Civ4ScreenShot0045.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0048.JPG
Tokugawa: Impressive! Not many leaders come trained, knowing when to submit to their better
Asoka: Are you the guy that's been hogging all the Holy Cities? You're a huge jerk, did you know?
Tokugawa: Your comments have been noted.
Hannibal: How cute. A holy land.
Tokugawa: I assume you think all nations that hold holy cities are arrogant due to Isabella, no?
Hannibal: How did you know?
Tokugawa: I just knew. Anyway, you're worse than Wang Kon so there isn't much left for us to say
Christian missionaries met and converted the Seoul Koreans in 200 B.C. The empire now enjoyed a good balance of influence and stability. Now came the time to gain raw power.
Civ4ScreenShot0055.JPG

Nice!

I've been having a hangover for the last few turns. :lol:

600 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :band: :woohoo: :lol: :lol: :goodjob: [party][party] :banana: :banana: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Meiji: Moscow missed the Pyramids awhile back, probably to Seoul. So it just completed a Settler. But we won't settle just yet to save the economy
Tokugawa: That's idiotic, why build it when it could have grown to build it faster?
Sato: In other news, Meditation and Sailing are ours to abuse.
Ono: I suggest we find Spain. Wouldn't it be nice to control all four world religions?
Tokugawa: It would be nice. But if we haven't found them yet it won't be feasible to conquer them
Ono: We need more missionaries!
Civ4ScreenShot0050.JPG
Tokugawa: Shame. We won't be able to negotiate with the Americans anymore. At least now we have an excuse to invade them.
Yoritomo: We have copper near Edo. Now we can do a 70 turn belated axe-rush.
Tokugawa: I'll think about it
Civ4ScreenShot0056.JPG
Meiji: Per request, Osaka is settled. Horse, gold, sheep, settled on a desert to avoid said desert, AND it's coastal. It's a pretty good spot
Tokugawa: We could have done better. We could take steps to block Rome off from out claims in case they try to expand our wya
Ono: Well, we should try to help our allies, so blocking America could be even better
Tokugawa: Do you mean help Ceasar? Naturally! Who wouldn't?

Ono: Roosevelt has converted to Shin- err Hinduism.
Meiji: Seeing as we have two waiting neighbors, I suggest we choose an ally.
Tokugawa: I'll probably have them both converted. If Isabella doesn't get to them first.
Isabella: You have a terrible mastery of language
Civ4ScreenShot2636.JPG
Tokugawa: A great prophet will be born in Edo very soon. I'm going to have him bulb us Code of Laws, to salvage the economy.
Sato: We don't have Meditation, and a low tech such as it takes 20 turns with our research rate. If we change to 100% we will get in 5.
Tokugawa: Then do it! Honestly, why do we need to debate every little move? 20 turns and +9 gold vs. 5 and -8 with 250 gold! And with a chance of religion and a saved economy. Peter could have made that decision!
Sato: We got Meditation!
Meiji: We have a Great Prophet!
Ono: And we missed Confucianism!
Tokugawa: Excel..wait what? We MISSED Confucianism?
Ono: Yep. Founded this turn.
Tokugawa: This turn? The exact turn we got Meditation and a Great Prophet?
Ono: This turn. The exact turn we got Meditation and a Great Prophet.
Tokugawa: Drat! I'll just tell everyone that the Courthouses are the most important part of the tech
Meiji: Well we should see next turn who got it so long as it wasn't Izzy, July or Rosy.
Civ4ScreenShot2643.JPG
Tokugawa: The Kon! Of course! You watch, he and Hannibal are not to be trusted!
Civ4ScreenShot2644.JPG

Tolkugawa: Our potential religious allies are dropping like flies!
Ono: We have a missionary headed past Korea. It should get Hannibal or some other civ that will make good allies.
Yoritomo: All races are insignifacant to the might Japanese army of 0 swordsman, our 0 axeman, and 2 archers!
Meiji: We have a visitor! His name is Roosevelt and he's a American
Roosevelt: It's an American. Use proper English!
Meiji: Well I would, if I spoke English.
Roosevelt: In that case you must pay for the hard work of the learned Americans to eddicate you all. In gold.
Tokugawa: We don't have any spare gold yet.
Roosevelt: Then pay us in clams then. That'll learn ya sufficantly enough 'til you have some gold
Tokugawa: Only so we don't have too much trouble...
Yoritomo:.. assimilating your people into Japan when we conquer you with our extensive No Unit army!

Civ4ScreenShot2646.JPG
Turn: 123

Ono: Eddicator civilization converts to inferior religion
Meiji: America to Buddhism?
Ono: Asoka has done the same with Confucianism. More importantly, the Incans are now Christian. Two allies now...
Yoritomo: In theory, sure. But Korea and the Inca seem to heading towars war. If the Incans take the Confucian holy city, it's only a matter of time before we lose them...
Turn 132
Meiji: 'Tin' has been discovered to be in abundance near Osaka, Even better, the people of Edo have settled Tokyo in the gem and sugar site.
Tokugawa: Sounds nice...
Ono: Asoka is Buddhist and Tokyo is Jewish. They didn't take long to decide.
Tokugawa: We could sure use the culture...
Civ4ScreenShot2651.JPG
Turn 142
Tokugawa: Now we get to work on your army. Target: America since Rome is an 'ally' right now
Yoritomo: Now the world will fear the might of our swordman!

Civ4ScreenShot2655.JPG

Meiji: We have two settler waiting to save our economy
Tokugawa: What have the Americans been teaching you? It's two settlers
Meiji: Anyway, we missed the Parthenon and Mausoleum. The gold should keep us afloat for a long while. Thus we should start building more settlers in Moscow, which has nothing better to do.
Yoritomo: Besides build up militar-
Sato: Or build science
Tokugawa: Build workers there, Tokyo needs the development
Civ4ScreenShot2656.JPG

Turn.146

Issac: So, are you ready to listen to my proposal?
Sato: This is our Head Scientists from Kyoto. He is here to propose something or other
Tokugawa: Go ahead then.
Issac: I am on the brink of new mastery of Philosophy. Basically it works by.....

20 years later, Issac Newton finished his appeal, only asking for Alphabet to finish his findings.
Tokugawa: How about Hunting and Alphabet for Mathematics and Meditation>
Hammurabi: Are you kidding? My people expect me to bring about laws and **** ! How am I supposed to do that? No, give my Hunting and Alphabet for Mathematics
and Code Of Laws
Tokugawa: Are you kidding? My people expect me to not personally civilize your barbaric people when we still have Moscow to take care of. Hunting and Alphabet for Mathematics and Monotheism.
Hammurabi: Deal. Wait...barbaric?
Civ4ScreenShot2661.JPG
Soon after Philosophy was mastered throughout Japan. But that was not all......for another religon was founded in the golden hills of Osaka. Taosim had permanently put the city on the map and became the 4th religion to be founded in Japan.
Civ4ScreenShot2662.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot2664.JPG
Ono: Religon #4
Taoist Missionary: Honored Leader Ietsuna! Where shall I spread the faith?
Tokugawa: Head towards Moscow and spread wisom to those unenlightened people!
Taoist Missionary: I shall do it once...
Sato: Why did he call you Ietsuna...I thought your name was Ieyasu?
Tokugawa: Oh it is. But unlike you 'advisors', I have to remain under the scrutiny of the masses. I change my name every few centuries to avoid suspicion.
Meiji: With all these religions, it would be too much work to make a single one of them dominate. We still have 2 cities in positon to be settled and then 6 more potential sites. If just count Japan proper we can still fit three more cities.
Yoritomo: Religion won't matter when the armies of Korea, Rome, America are at our doorstep
Sato: We are teching Calendar, so we'll finally be able to sell incense properly
Tokugawa. I gave Polythiesm and 5 gold for Calendar with the Americans. So now I have to pay a visit to Peter...
Yoritomo: Silly Amercans. Trading with us only advances them towards destruction
Meiji: Really? Spain eyes us with the 'Imma kill you' look. I'd watch out for them
Tokugawa: She always looks like that, she just can't stand being surrounded by so many heathens I suppose
Tokugawa: I don't know if you heard Peter, but we've just began to establish incense plantations in this very outskirt of Moscow!
Peter: You don't say? I should warn you, it's might be dangerous to introduce new substances to an unaccustomed population.
Tokugawa: You do know you're supposed to burn incense and then simply enjoy the aroma right? That's why it's called incense; you incinerate it...
Peter: Who doesn't 'incinerate' it?
Meij: No, it's called incense because the aroma has a calming effects when you're incensed?
Sato: It's almost as if you both are trying to prove his point...

Sato: Mathematics has been ours for quite some time, so Aesthetics next
Tokugawa: Aesthetics? No, the empire of Edo is a warrior state. We admire wonders, capture them,
Yoritomo: Desecrate them,
Tokugawa: and make them our own. So, let's work on Constuction.
Yoritomo: Tender catapults doth make war so easy...
Civ4ScreenShot1048.JPG
Yoritomo: It's a message from the gods! We must focus more on war!
Tokugawa: But who do we go attack?
Yoritomo: Spain has that rich holy captial. But Korea founded a religon that is growing more popular. Even though they no longer control the holy city, the original crime cannot be ignored. But America is America...also it blocks our way to both of them
Tokugawa: Than its settled: Roosy must die!
Meiji: Kagoshima has been founded, and the hut by it gave us a Warrior.
Yoritomo: ...Nearly doubling the size of our offensive forces

Civ4ScreenShot1054.JPG
Tokugawa: How did this happen?
Meiji: As Yoritomo 'predicted', the Capac declared war on the Kon a while back. And I guess he got lucky and went for the biggest prize he saw. Pusan must be the holy city though, because it's the only one he has of non-Incan origin
Yoritomo: We might want to send our armies into that nation some way or another to take advantage of their comparitive weakness. By comparitive, I of couse mean in respect to Rome and India because their armies are still much stronger than ours
Meiji: Worryingly, our former ally is now Annoyed with us
Thus the diplomatic circumstance of the Edo Shogunate made a drastic reverse. Meanwhile, its enemies rallied against Edo on a 'holy' crusade to rid the world of the Japanese. The warrior state of Edo's first real war would not be of its creation.

Top Bottom