Hippus Flavor Mod

Why not give them back their original starting rsources and give them a cheap new UB that is limited to 2 or 3 at one time and provides contracts.

To be honest it would mean more files to fool with and I want to keep it as simple as possible. I want to be able to update it in under 5 minutes per patch =)

Have you considered making it a modular mod? No updating at all for most patches.

Modular mods are really easy all you have to do is cut out the unchanged parts, include a slightly modified schema, give it its own folder in fall from heaven 2 32/assets/modules and change the ini to allow modular loading, just look at a modular mod to see an example (if sureshot never made one I would never figure out how to do it).

I wouldnt even begin to know were to start making one of those :blush:

It's as F.B. said. A little more detail:

The following is the entire unitclass file for a modular unit.

Code:
[b]<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- edited with XMLSpy v2006 sp1 U (http://www.altova.com) by Derek Paxton (None) -->
<!-- edited with XMLSPY v2004 rel. 2 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by Jesse Smith (Firaxis Games) -->
<!-- Sid Meier's Civilization 4 -->
<!-- Copyright Firaxis Games 2005 -->
<!-- -->
<!-- UnitClass Schema -->
<Civ4UnitClassInfos xmlns="x-schema:EWS_CIV4UnitSchema.xml">
	<UnitClassInfos>[/b]
		<UnitClassInfo>
			<Type>UNITCLASS_GOO</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_GOO</Description>
			<iMaxGlobalInstances>-1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
			<iMaxTeamInstances>-1</iMaxTeamInstances>
			<iMaxPlayerInstances>4</iMaxPlayerInstances>
			<iInstanceCostModifier>0</iInstanceCostModifier>
			<DefaultUnit>UNIT_GOO</DefaultUnit>
		</UnitClassInfo>
	[b]</UnitClassInfos>
</Civ4UnitClassInfos>[/b]

It's the header and footer of the base "UnitClassInfos.xml" file (bolded) with the entry for the unit sandwiched between. There is one change that needs to be made to the first portion: You point it at a copy of the scheme file you re-name and include in the modular mod. Here it's "EWS_CIV4UnitSchema.xml".

I forget all the naming convention rules (Kael has a tutorial somewhere) - I always use "X_filename", where X is generally an acronym for the mod. Renaming is the only change you need to make to the schema files. And all your modular files should be renamed in the same fashion.

Text files: No schema needed.

You'd do the same thing for all the files. Header/footer with the entry for the unit, building, or whatever it is you've changed between. Even if you change only 1 thing about a unit, say, you still need the unit's whole entry. (There's a project working to change that, btw.)

Given that CivilizationInfos.xml can be a problem. To ban other civs from using a UU you'll often need to include the whole file. Other than that file, though, a modular mod is usually widely compatible with other mods and modules.

The only time you should need to update the module is when the schema files involved changed - and not always then. I think all the modules I made for FF 0.31 lasted until the BTS 3.17 patch.

So to be clear, CivilizationInfos.xml can not be done in this way. But if I copy the whole file changes and all in the mod folder then it will still work as intended with out having to update for every patch?

So to be clear, CivilizationInfos.xml can not be done in this way.

Sorry, I wasn't at all clear there.

CivilizationInfos.xml can be done in a module. However, if a unique unit or building is added and has to be specifically banned from every civ but 1... then the required modular file will need to contain an entry for every civ but 1. Not much different than a non-modular mod, though installation's still easier.

With this mod, though, I think you changed only the Hippus entry: "None" for the Merc. and changing the starting units? If that's the case then all you'll need in a modular CivilizationInfos is the Hippus entry. So only other mods wanting to change the Hippus entry would conflict, and only FFH2 patches changing that entry would require changes to the mod.

But if I copy the whole file changes and all in the mod folder then it will still work as intended with out have to update for every patch?

That depends on what the patches change. My modules, come to think of it, mostly just added things. So problems with patches arose only when the schema's changed - generally a required tag or two gets added.

Everything your mod does is an addition, I think, with the exception of the changes to CivilizationInfos. If true then a patch altering the Hippus entry in CivilizationInfos.xml would require a change to the module. I don't think such changes are made very often at this point.

For the 2 of you that are interested in this little flavor mod I will be making it modular when FFH .33 is released(thanks guys for the info). I was playing a game where I had the Kazad and I made the Hippus capitulate. I had 5 gold plus some bartered gems. With the two contracts and their affinity I got a whole heep of Mercs with 14 str and 1 turn to build.. WAY over powered. I will make it a national unit that is limited to 4? or 5, will drop the contract affinity to 1, increase to cost to build, etc to balance this out...

I also may tinker with it so that the hippus can build them now that they are national, this could also help so the modular mod wont have to updated with each patch.. we will see..

See the first post for the NEW and IMPROVED version of this flavor mod. Its now Modular and the Hippus can make some Moola from it... :D

Its not perfect, but no Python scripts were injured during the making of this mod.

sounds interesting :) it's a shame that you might have to update this again after 0.40 though :D

btw, you should spell your credits right on the first page. it's Tarquelne and MagisterCultuum :p

[to_xp]Gekko;7543483 said:
sounds interesting :) it's a shame that you might have to update this again after 0.40 though :D

btw, you should spell your credits right on the first page. it's Tarquelne and MagisterCultuum :p

Spelling fixed though they are that way in the readme :sad:, also noted that the readme instruction still referred to the "Salt Golem" file. I will fix that once ICE is out. I tossed around waiting for ICE, but figured that the subject has been brought up in the changlog I would go on and post it.

Just in case the 2 of you that have tried this mod =) are interested, I do have some ideas to flesh out once ICE phase is out. (sniped useless info) I wanted something to flesh out the Hippus and the "why" of existing in my games... With out this mechanic they just don't make the cut, and I love the idea of a mercenary civ. A civ that starts out as a minor mercenary band and coalescing into a thriving empire of Horsemen akin to the Mongol hordes.

Is anyone interested in this? If so let me know and I will update it for .40a, etc.

I have a few ideas on expanding it a little bit.

If I don't get any responses I will know that it is time to let this one die...

I WANT TO LIVE!!!

I second cyther. I was disappointed to see it was gone... Hippus need flavor!

I have done some more testing and this version will work in the .41 version of FFH. I haven't changed anything yet, but I have a few minor ideas...

Just don't forget to activate modular loading and install in the modular folder under assets (may have to create it). I dont play fall further so I dont know if it works in it. If anyone tries let me know. (FF kills my computer)

Top Bottom