Teach me and you. Give me a gem.

40. When playing Spiritual, change your religions and Civics at the drop of the hat to get bonuses with other civs, and parlay those bonuses into long term benefits by grabbing Open Borders and Defensive Pacts.

41. Always bribe every possible civ to attack anyone you are fighting. Wars are short term, the 'our mutual struggle brings us together' bonus means a new long term ally.

40. When playing Spiritual, change your religions and Civics at the drop of the hat to get bonuses with other civs, and parlay those bonuses into long term benefits by grabbing Open Borders and Defensive Pacts.

41. Always bribe every possible civ to attack anyone you are fighting. Wars are short term, the 'our mutual struggle brings us together' bonus means a new long term ally.

Corollary to 41: ...if you think you need the help. It's really aggravating when your enemy becomes a vassal of a former war ally.

Probably one you all never heard of.

42 Try settling exactly 4 MIL instructors in your coastal HE city. If you build drydocks, pentagon, and west point as well, you can build blitz-battleships, and with back up from bombers, 5 of those can take on any stack AI throws at you. This way you only need 1 drydock, and you can manage with small fleets.

I do like settling GGs in my coastal cities, because then I get promoted boats (and any promotion advantage on the sea is worth so much in terms of saved hammers). I've never got 4 in one city though.

a Battleship with Blitz can attack 7 or so times, so with guided missiles or bombers it can take out 7 boats per turn.

Probably one you all never heard of.

42 Try settling exactly 4 MIL instructors in your coastal HE city.
Corrolary - Red Cross in this coastal city, as naval units also benefit from Medic I.
[edit] Having thought about this: this tactic would be better still applied to a Privateer, that you immediately upgrade to a Destroyer. You would get Sentry from the turn as a Privateer, Destroyers are the fastest unit out there, and you'll mostly be cleaning up Galleys etc, so won't lose the vessel to an enemy swarm. (end edit)

44. Many units have 2 possible upgrades: if you only research the tech for one upgrade, you can build the basic unit and then upgrade the following turn, effectively hurrying the unit with gold. Frex: Warrior to Axeman, Archer to Longbowman, Maceman/Pikeman/Crossbowman to Rifleman.

45. Remember to look at the graphs.
The power and culture graphs especially can save you from an unexpected defeat.

46. if you're really serious about hitting the higher difficulty levels, you need the BUG interface. something as simple as being alerted when a city is about to jump in population can be crucial to early-game tile micromanagement & worker planning.

47. in the heat of war, never let yourself get distracted from domestic micromanagement issues. i know you might be keen to grab that shrined capital on the next turn, but ensuring everything is proceeding in your planned direction on the home front is always vital.

17. Eat snack in moderation

Sorry :mischief:

Another sandvich won't help.

A. Don't be afraid of being relatively in the red per turn, as long as you have some money, and you're rushing something very important.

B. Don't build everything in every city. Only build buildings that complement your slider bar percentages (e.g. if you're over 70% on something, build buildings that work on that something---culture, gold, or research).

a Battleship with Blitz can attack 7 or so times, so with guided missiles or bombers it can take out 7 boats per turn.

Slightly offtopic, butmaybe usefull in general as well:

what are the promotions that lead to blitz for ship (or in general) ?

50. Praetorians really are as great as everyone says. A swordsman with the strength of a maceman is an incredible advantage. A stack of 7 or 8 can annihilate just about anything (including LB once they get a few promotions)
51. Courthouses, courthouses, courthouse. If your planing a game to go into the AD timeframe at all, build them in all your cities.

52. Adjust your play style to the map, not to your leader or civ. Don't be afraid to divorce yourself from the strategy you thought you'd use.

53. Have enough workers (stolen or built) for 2 per city and stack them in pairs (or 3s or 4s once your earlier cities are completely improved.

Slightly offtopic, butmaybe usefull in general as well:

what are the promotions that lead to blitz for ship (or in general) ?

High combat, I think Combat IV. I don't have a copy of the game with me now, though, so I can't double check.

"I'll give you my word as a Spaniard..."

"No good, I've known too many Spaniards."

"I swear on the grave of my father, you will reach the top alive."

"Throw me the rope."

What movie, anyone anyone?

36. Espionage is a powerful weapon. Learn how to use it and you will have an advantage over most players.

I would add for people like me who don't like espionage, at least perform 'counterespionage' on all of your rivals. It doubles their cost to perform espionage, is guaranteed 100% success rate, and generally prevents them from doing any spying on you (prince difficulty and lower, maybe higher too). Nothing sucks like a pissy rival destroying your gold mine every turn after you rebuild it, or like having a tech stolen from you every 10 turns.

"I'll give you my word as a Spaniard..."

"No good, I've known too many Spaniards."

"I swear on the grave of my father, you will reach the top alive."

"Throw me the rope."

What movie, anyone anyone?

LOL we were just talking about this four posts ago.............and some donkey shot me down. Tell him the deal

Moderator Action: Don't flame other users
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom