Resource icon

Cities in Development (Obsolete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very happy that Tradition's finisher in CBP affects Sanatorium too, but Aesthetic's policy and Reformation belief which affect ALL GP improvements don't affect Sanatorium.

Therefore, when I adopt Aesthetic and choose the Reformation belief Sanatorium is very disappointing me unlike the others.

Please, my MODjesty. Fix this problem for better CID experience.

I was only told about the Tradition Finisher last time, but I can fix that for the next update.

Hey everyone, I'm working on adding support for this mod into my mods. Thing is, one of my civs overrides the ProductionPopup.lua file to make a UU Great Prophet appear properly (and I'll need it again later for an Inquisitor UU). Right now, I'm using Leugi's custom Great Prophet and Missionary workarounds here.

I'm wondering how I can make my mod compatible with this one. Does CiD account for custom religious units at all (looking through the code it doesn't seem to)? Since my mod's version of the file is purely for cosmetic changes, it's fine being overridden or excluded, especially if CiD's version accounts for those changes; considering my mod would reference CiD for mod support, how might I go about making it not override ProductionPopup.lua, at least for a short-term solution?

Sorry, I meant to reply in PM, but things got away on me.

No, CID doesn't have support built in for that, but, funnily enough, I'd planned to add it in the next update, as my upcoming Bhutanese civ has a unique Great Prophet.

I do not know a way for CID to override your ProductionPopup, no, other than to reference your mod's ID - but this would cause other problems. So I would recommend excluding this from your mod if you want to have support for CID, and wait for the next CID update for this fix to be incorporated.

I just encountered the same issue that badgamer reported, around turn 159 not long after entering the Renaissance era. Here are my lua and database logs in the event that they help

Difficult to tell without callback. Could you please set EnableLuaDebugLibrary to 1 in your My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Configs.ini file, reload that save, and report back with the Lua log. It should then trace where that error is being triggered specifically.

Since I finally got everything updated to the current version on every side of things, I no longer receive any errors...but the crime warnings are defaulting back to their original text strings
Spoiler :
TXT_KEY_EO_CITY_LOCAL_UNHAPPINESS
TXT_KEY_EO_CITY_STARVING
TXT_KEY_EO_CITY_UNDEFENDED
TXT_KEY_EO_CITY_RELIGION
TXT_KEY_EO_CITY_POOR
(though those are much easier to understand? Before I updated the last beta CP, I in my capital I was getting 'This city is too dangerous' in the early capitals (to the tune of every single citizen gives me a 'too dangerous' unhappy, even if every other city only has one or two citizens unhappy?)
I haven't heard back about this (unless I somehow missed it...the search function here has some holes in it?) I will reverse what I said before and admit as the civilization gets bigger the TXT value get less and less helpful. How can I go back to the 'normal' readouts (things like 3*'This city is too dangerous/poor/etc') I have updated to CID v42 and (I think I) still have the most up-to-date version of the Beta CP, because it hasn't changed recently?

Second, your Modjesty, I can't help wondering what all this wonderful work you are doing gets you? Are you hoping to be employed by MicroProse, or similar company (or are you already, and this is a way to beta-test ideas for a game like or similar to Civ6?) or are you independently wealthy (and obviously very intelligent) and this is just something to waste time on? I only ask because I believe that good turns should be returned, and if there is a way I can pass on what a fantastic job you are doing for us I would be happy to sing your praises up the chain, as it were? Because I do think this is great work!

I haven't heard back about this (unless I somehow missed it...the search function here has some holes in it?) I will reverse what I said before and admit as the civilization gets bigger the TXT value get less and less helpful. How can I go back to the 'normal' readouts (things like 3*'This city is too dangerous/poor/etc') I have updated to CID v42 and (I think I) still have the most up-to-date version of the Beta CP, because it hasn't changed recently?

Sorry, must've missed your report. Thanks for reposting it.

It's possible Gazebo changed something since I implemented support. I'll comb through the CBP and update for the next CID version.

Second, your Modjesty, I can't help wondering what all this wonderful work you are doing gets you? Are you hoping to be employed by MicroProse, or similar company (or are you already, and this is a way to beta-test ideas for a game like or similar to Civ6?) or are you independently wealthy (and obviously very intelligent) and this is just something to waste time on? I only ask because I believe that good turns should be returned, and if there is a way I can pass on what a fantastic job you are doing for us I would be happy to sing your praises up the chain, as it were? Because I do think this is great work!

I have absolutely no interest in working in the video gaming industry, nor would I be technically qualified (Then again, that Velicky tho...). None of my modding is with a particular goal in mind, save modding in and of itself. But, because of my history with anxiety and borderline personality disorders, being a part to this community has helped to develop my social skills and to relieve my frustration. It has also been a way to articulate and express my academic and political interests - and I've generally found this community to be far better company in that regard than fellow students ("what's a capitalism?", "NZ has popular sovereignty", "I hate monarchy because they execute people in Iran" <- not kidding, this is the sort of thing that people say in my tutorials. And the middle one was from a Political Science tutor!). So, the return is being a part to this community. I don't consider any of it a waste of time (well, except when I have to time-and-again repeat the install instructions on the OP of my threads :lol:). Plus, I am an emperor. It is my whoward-given duty to mod. I couldn't face St Sid Meier if I shirked this duty :p

Or I'm secretly working on Civ6 and this is all a part of it :p

Sorry, I meant to reply in PM, but things got away on me.

No, CID doesn't have support built in for that, but, funnily enough, I'd planned to add it in the next update, as my upcoming Bhutanese civ has a unique Great Prophet.

I do not know a way for CID to override your ProductionPopup, no, other than to reference your mod's ID - but this would cause other problems. So I would recommend excluding this from your mod if you want to have support for CID, and wait for the next CID update for this fix to be incorporated.

It's cool, I expect you get an insane number of PM's as is. As for the conflict, yeah I can't really imagine any way for it to work like I would like. So I'll just eschew the lua replacement, and probably recommend people to use your mod. Thanks for the reply though! Oh, and might I recommend an addition to Leugi's method, which would be replacing Great Prophets in that lua file, which he doesn't do because normally you can't really see Prophets in the list, but I think it's after you hit Industrial you can see them for purchase, along with other great people if you have the policy branch finishers.

Now, I just have to add the same 11 references to 35 separate mod files.
......siiiiigh.

Anyone finding cities, other than capitals, too easy to capture, in light of the Provinces change to bombardment range? Wondering if I should increase the Defensive Strength value of Walls et al. Especially given that they require maintenance in CID.

Can't say for myself - only managed to snipe capitals so far. But I've seen AIs have a much easier time conquering entire empires. I'd buff defensive capabilities of Defensive buildings slightly, but only slightly - defending as a player is still very easy and that's not something that can be remedied at once, however having a harder time as the human player to eliminate someone else would be a good idea.

I have absolutely no interest in working in the video gaming industry, nor would I be technically qualified (Then again, that Velicky tho...). None of my modding is with a particular goal in mind, save modding in and of itself. But, because of my history with anxiety and borderline personality disorders, being a part to this community has helped to develop my social skills and to relieve my frustration. It has also been a way to articulate and express my academic and political interests - and I've generally found this community to be far better company in that regard than fellow students ("what's a capitalism?", "NZ has popular sovereignty", "I hate monarchy because they execute people in Iran" <- not kidding, this is the sort of thing that people say in my tutorials. And the middle one was from a Political Science tutor!). So, the return is being a part to this community. I don't consider any of it a waste of time (well, except when I have to time-and-again repeat the install instructions on the OP of my threads :lol:). Plus, I am an emperor. It is my whoward-given duty to mod. I couldn't face St Sid Meier if I shirked this duty :p

Student by day, Emperor with claims for almost the whole world (except Canada) by night?

#FreeCanada

You would actually be pretty suited to Game Development, in terms of the actual design process. Considering your lua coding skills, those would probably be transferable to Unity and C#, although C++ programming is another beast entirely. Even if you have no interest in a career there, you do have the skills for it. (Political Simulator 2017: Trump Edition?)

Anyone finding cities, other than capitals, too easy to capture, in light of the Provinces change to bombardment range? Wondering if I should increase the Defensive Strength value of Walls et al. Especially given that they require maintenance in CID.

I am. Usually, I tend to turtle my way through most of history until I get artillery and can safely bombard cities with battleships and artillery. Now I can do the same with Archers. I've only fought one major war so far with CiD. The only difficulty there was dealing with the Inca putting their ranged units on mountain tops where I couldn't reach them. Once I fought through that gauntlet, their cities were no trouble at all.

You would actually be pretty suited to Game Development, in terms of the actual design process. Considering your lua coding skills, those would probably be transferable to Unity and C#, although C++ programming is another beast entirely. Even if you have no interest in a career there, you do have the skills for it.

Thank you for saying that. Appreciate it :)

Increasing the strength of walls might be worth doing. However, my experience has varied; I recently played a game where Shaka was my neighbor and he laid siege to one of my 1 range cities with dozens of units. It was a very fun experience because I was able to hold him off, but it was close. Yet, if I lay siege to to a 1 range city I have had a much easier time taking it than I have a 3 range.

That said, there are unseen factors to consider such as the AI's inability to strategize well, my greater army strength at the time of the siege, his army's losses, etc. But finding that I can pound his cities down to dust in 2 turns with 3 catapults and 3 composite bowmen leads something to be desired.

TL/DR: I'd buff walls a bit.

EDIT: And come to think of it, it might not even be the range that dictates the strength of the defense, it might be the power of the attack itself. By the time I got to Shaka's capital, despite it's 3 range bombardment, I was still able to easily capture the city because I could overwhelm it quickly enough with the aforementioned army. I'm more worried about a 3 range bombardment when I am scouting him out and trying to determine whether it's safe to poke my head in there.

But, because of my history with anxiety and borderline personality disorders, being a part to this community has helped to develop my social skills and to relieve my frustration.

And then the Steam commenters go and undo all that relief and generate new frustration :(

Can give CBP feedback, in which it feels decent, I'd say it's balanced. But indeed a slight buff probably wouldn't hurt, especially for AI sake (because siege units are devastating).

Agreed absolutely with Sir Kesler regarding your skills. Furthermore the designs, icons, ideas, solutions and the general athmosphere combined with the in-depth accuracy and flavour of history and society in your mods, makes you without a doubt a true Modjesty! :)

I'm really glad we're having you!

But, because of my history with anxiety and borderline personality disorders, being a part to this community has helped to develop my social skills and to relieve my frustration. It has also been a way to articulate and express my academic and political interests - and I've generally found this community to be far better company in that regard than fellow students ("what's a capitalism?", "NZ has popular sovereignty", "I hate monarchy because they execute people in Iran" <- not kidding, this is the sort of thing that people say in my tutorials. And the middle one was from a Political Science tutor!). So, the return is being a part to this community. I don't consider any of it a waste of time (well, except when I have to time-and-again repeat the install instructions on the OP of my threads :lol:). Plus, I am an emperor. It is my whoward-given duty to mod. I couldn't face St Sid Meier if I shirked this duty :p

Civ 5 and making personal edits to mods on my end have been an excellent outlet for my own Anxiety and OCD, with the downside of becoming completely fixated on finding the source of an error when one occurs, so I understand where you are coming from. I've never thought about whether or not the forums helped me open up more though it has become easier to talk to people......

And then the Steam commenters go and undo all that relief and generate new frustration
And that is why I turned off Facebook. It was actually causing a serious issue for me.

I'm not sure if what I'm about two say relates to or is caused by CiD, but it's currently my best guess as the source of the problem.

Regardless, I've experienced two really bizarre issues lately. The first was when my Teddy Roosevelt game was cut short by receiving about 120,000 culture around turn 35. The second was the social policy cost not going up until I had finished Tradition with the Two Sicilies.

I was using CiD, CD, RtP, ExCE, Historical Religions Complete, E&D, a large number of your civs, Enlightenment Era, Civ IV Leader Traits, More Luxuries, Unique Cultural Influence, YNAEMP, and finally Civ Names by Policies.

I just want to quickly talk about the Legalism policy, and see if anyone out there shares my feelings. First of all, is it really of any use whatsoever? Obviously everyone's play style varies, but in my experience I am never in a position to benefit from it.

1) It doesn't much matter anymore that the building is "free," because instead of having a gold maintenance it is now a crime debuff.

2) I typically get no benefit from it as I have usually built a culture building in every city prior to taking the policy. I typically get the policy between the time I have built a monument and unlocking the amphitheater.

3) What does legalism have to do with a culture building in the first place?

What if, instead, it unlocked a free Jail in your first 4 cities? Or provided Jails or Magistrate's Court with some kind of passive bonus like science or culture?

Also, and I know this is the wrong thread, but while I am here I just wanted to say that my scouts are upgrading to archers via ruins, and then not upgrading to Great Scouts once hitting level 5. This doesn't really bother me, but perhaps it's not what you'd have intended.

I'm using the EUI, CBP, Exce, RtP, CiD, Barbarians Evolved, Fortress Borders and I have the latest updates and all the compatibility files, along with all of JFD's civs and Tomatekh's civs--I couldn't fit all of them in the game of course. I'm playing a game with Maria Theresa's Austria and I got the plague. The little icon told me I would only have it for two turns, but it's been at least 5 turns and my city still has the plague.

I had a bug where some buildings I had already built stayed on the list where I choose what to build. I can't choose them but they remain there. I think it is caused by this mod cause I didn't have this problem before this mod. I also have Exce, RtP and full CBP. I can post the LUA files later when I get home if you need it.

So, I finally just sat down and tried playing a whole game from start to finish. Gotta say, your mods have really come a long way. :D Everything seems to work off of one another.

I just started out as China, and in no time at all, I'd already conquered Austria and the Shoshone. Going for a cultural+domination style suits me just nice. However, while everything is running smoothly, (and believe me, I only had one CTD, and I always get one of those right around the Enlightenment era :p), I noticed some bugs I thought I should bring up.

1. I can't secularize. I researched liberalism, and researched scientific theory too, when I thought maybe it was still requiring that. But no matter how much gold, culture or magistrates I have, the option to secularize won't show up. I'm already in the modern era and it's still never shown up. Yet randomly one turn, several city-states secularized at once. (Which didn't affect me much, my piety was at 0 for 20-30 turns at that point anyway :p)

2. I tried building the Grand Canal, but when I hovered over it, it wasn't really clear what made it special in the tool tip when I hovered over it, just the basic +x culture info. When I did build it though, I got a message saying that it couldn't load the image. I got a blank splash-screen, and in said screen, there weren't any effects listed on the side opposite the quote.

3. Similar to the above, I tried building Trafalgar Square, which didn't seem to have any affects besides "+3 culture", and while I can't remember if the splash worked, I do remember there wasn't any music and there was no description of the effect on the other side again.

Like usual, I'm just using your mods and the others I mentioned last time. The only differences is that I'm using CCSMM and LeeS's Wildlife Reborn, which to my knowledge, shouldn't affect CiD in any way. One just replaces all the city-states and the other just adds a wildlife system. Do you need logs this time?

1. You secularize through the Religious Overview menu, not as a Decision.

2, 3. These are wonders belonging to the Prosperity and Sovereignty components. They aren't meant to have been enabled - which is a mistake on my part.

These are also Rise to Power issues, not CID issues :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom