The Shoshone are too tempting

Jewman

Prince
Does anyone else found extra/costly cities with the Shoshone just because it is so awesome to see your cities sprawl across the map? So much land in one city right off the bat leads me to make some ill-times expansions and usually ends up crashing my economy or putting me at risk of warmongers. Gotta say tho, the Shoshone so far have the best start bias out of the new civs (Moroccans, Assyria tied for 2nd).

I love the early game with them, but usually get bored after the initial expansion, because of not really having any focus on anything anymore... :p

lol, i've only played one game as them but I did EXACTLY this! :rotfl: I got them through a random roll and ended up in the forest. I had 5+ deer/furs around my capital and a ton more in the areas surrounding it. I figured I'd grab that pantheon that grants +1:c5food: food to camps so I went Tradtion with plans to stay small and tall. I even inadvertantly became allies with a maritime city-state by killing a barb hut and giving back the worker. Still, once that 2nd city went down and I saw how many tiles I got I JUST. COULDN'T. STOP. I ended up with 8 cities total crazy fast. My happiness kept teetering back and forth and so was my gold. I ended up quitting that game because I didn't like how out of control I was. :crazyeye:

Play on a huge map with low sea levels. Get liberty and a happiness religion (+1 happiness from shrines and +2 happiness from temples work great if you get the piety opener). Late game, get order, +2 happiness from monuments and new cities start with 3 extra population, +1 of several things, and +2 production in every city and +1 production from mines. Enjoy a late game city spam. It may not be the best thing for your science, but it's very fun.

I'm less tempted by the UA then I am the Pathfinder UU.

In my first game as Shoshone, I built somewhere near 8 Pathfinders, trying to go crazy popping ruins and picking the benefit. Building 8 of them slowed me down, and only later did I realize, to my surprise, that they can't be upgraded to swordsmen, which ruined my strategy of building nothing but Pathfinders in the early game, then upgrading them into a modern army as time goes by in each era.

I love it, but to be honest, I really feel like they missed a good opportunity to mesh them with new game mechanisms; perhaps they should have made them the Comanche and given them the Comanchero unique ability, which could be along the lines of "After the discovery of x, (up to x) Land trade routes produce (outdated?) units as per military city states"

Raged against them in multiplayer. "Web", the player of shoshone in my last mp game, I actually apologize if you're reading this.

I , as celts, had to fight back against your surrounding presence.

I know you cussed me when I moved on your capitol but really you left me no choice, spamming 14+ tiles per city around my periphery, the olnly out i saw was working you militarily.

To those "outisders", I'll assure you it can be done. I had a shosho capitol and expo petra militarily.

I've also worked in past mp an aggressive babylon.

Great fun til everyone else realized my advantage and quit.

Quit humans in mp, not so fun.

The Shoshone might work well on an archipelago. Instead of buying tiles in a new city, a lighthouse might be pretty good.

Yeah, I had to start 3 or 4 games as the Shoshone to get it out of my system before I could properly play a game with them. I kept looking at city locations and thinking "Yeah, I could get so much land there", then Monty or the Huns would come in and ruin my day.

Eventually I settled on Tradition, only put down 2 extra cities and used the expanded borders as they should be - a means of working the most beneficial resources as quickly as possible. About to win a Science victory if the World Congress doesn't give me a cheap diplomatic victory first.

I love htem, best civ in the exp.

The Pathfinder actually not very good (expensive, getting 2 normal scout give you more runis, probably even if you subtract maps and barb camps) but the +12 title is awsome op.

Honestly it should be around 6 only. (but the Pathfinder should be also cheaper)

I found I do not like them as much as I thought I would. I prefer my games with no ruins, so that makes the UU worthless. And after you decide how many cities you want, the extra tiles are just not that useful for me.

Morroco is where is wher it is at for me!!

I just had a start next to them. NIGHTMARE.
They grabbed half the continent by just plopping 3 cities and buying/culturing land in the early days.
I tried warring them early but their UUs ignore terrain costs apparently plus the mega bonus they get from friendly land + general + honor 15%.
Early game powerhouses, that's what they are. And early game matters a lot.

Still, they are much better in the hands of the AI as they start with 2 settlers and pathfinder, which is a whole lot better.

If I was to go with Shosho I'd go Tradition opener, +15% border expansion, collective rule.

The pathfinder (and the fact that you start with one) enables you to play almost any start you want. That said they're also fairly nasty as a combat unit with the way they ignore terrain (they completely outshine warriors and upgrading them to a CB in ancient times is straight OP). Regardless of opening social policy the pathfinder is Aces (it's a bit OP if you want to do religion, as you can save 2 huts and then power up your faith).

The land-spam is extremely nice if you want to go wide and liberty will help you here but as others have alluded it's still fantastic if you want to go with a tradition build as you just do it faster (no other race can get 3-4 functional cities online quicker). As with poland I just love the versatility of this race ... you can do almost anything and do it well.

Top Bottom