Yay. Now i can play civ 4 for free!

eyyy i can use a copy of civ4 if anyone is willing to give one xD
i am from venezuela, and we only got 400 $ for internet purchases a year, and mine are already a thing of the past :p

As far as I see it, Steam made a tiny mistake, and gave away a free game (albeit an old and fairly useless one) for some reason. Ironically I think there would have been less fallout had they done nothing because then 95% of people wouldn't have even known that BNW was on sale, and those who did would have said "oh sweet I can get a copy for (friend X or Y) and we can play together.

As far as i'm concerned, everybody can shut their pie holes. If you're so tight for money that a potential gain of 10 dollars is a huge issue, you should be getting a job rather than playing CiV all day.

There's not a word anywhere that valve owed you jack squat. Reducing price on a game or DLC, even intentionally, isn't against any law. Gift away your copy of CIV IV to somebody with a low end PC and get them hooked too, then you and your friend can have lots of fun CIV conversations together, all because valve gave you a free copy of IV.

If you tell people they get a game 10% cheaper by pre-ordering, and will pay £18 instead of £20, and then at release the price turns out to be lower than £18, then the initial info was wrong.
Although I'm no lawyer, there seems to be a clear case here. Maybe if you accept the Civ 4 copy you're not making your case stronger, but if you write you only pre-ordered the game based on information from Steam that turned out to be false, and you just want back what you payed too much, not Civ 4 or anything, then I believe you stand in your right as consumer and should get back what you payed too much.

I'm happy with the Civ 4 copies, I didn't have that game yet, but that won't go for everybody. Steam has made a mistake and you don't need to accept their way of sorting it if you don't want to.
Remarks like "get a job if 10 dollars is such an issue for you" don't help at all; they don't have anything to do with your rights as consumer (besides ignoring the fact that also many working people live in poverty worldwide).

Just so you know - Civ IV has a great modding community, and it's quite different from Civ V. If you have the money, I would strongly suggest investing in the two expansions (should be cheap with summer sale) and looking into mods such as Fall from Heaven (epic high fantasy) and Caveman 2 Cosmos (greatly expanded history and gameplay, starting from 40,000 BC before any technological progress).

There are other mods, those are just my two favorites. C2C playability rivals both Civ IV and Civ V, it's my favorite and it's that good.
Link:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=449

I didn't preorder, yet I received a free Civ IV copy. My summer is losing enough time with BNW and Europa, I don't see myself using this.

If you tell people they get a game 10% cheaper by pre-ordering, and will pay £18 instead of £20, and then at release the price turns out to be lower than £18, then the initial info was wrong.

The retail price wasn't lower than £18, the discounted price was. The preorder discount was accurate, as it was a discount on the retail price of the game.

I am okay with having yet another civ4 copy, but I think the absolute best option would have been to grant those who pre-ordered a voucher worth the amount that they paid extra.

The retail price wasn't lower than £18, the discounted price was. The preorder discount was accurate, as it was a discount on the retail price of the game.
That is technically correct, I know, but I don't believe this would hold up in a court of law. I know of an example of supermarkets sometimes showed heavily discounted goods, but where the higher 'before' price had only been in effect for a couple of days or so, just to make the subsequent discount look great. This practice has been outlawed.
I think it compares with this, because in both cases you have technically correct information, but it's still a cover screen for what's actually going on and people are being misled.

That is technically correct, I know, but I don't believe this would hold up in a court of law. I know of an example of supermarkets sometimes showed heavily discounted goods, but where the higher 'before' price had only been in effect for a couple of days or so, just to make the subsequent discount look great. This practice has been outlawed.
I think it compares with this, because in both cases you have technically correct information, but it's still a cover screen for what's actually going on and people are being misled.
Yeah, well, if the OP wants to sue, I'm sure he can try. I'll wait here to see how it turns out.

I suppose its a nice gesture to give out Civ4. A friend of mine preordered, though I'm not sure he got it, and as someone who had left Civ for awhile before being pulled into GNK, I won't have minded it (I've always wanted to see how the two compared, especially with BNW).

Top Bottom