Release Date: Wildmana as a "standalone" mod (aka Wildmana 9.0)

Really good work. Sounds very exciting. A pity that I play civ only in MP and OOS is very low priority for most mods. But maybe it will be different in MOM. I will definitely try it out.

You can add new xml tags, and reference/manipulate them via lua. You can also easily store data as well(and using Whys' SaveUtils, multiple mods can do so concurrently).

These things are true of Civ IV as well... Modular Flavour Start uses python to read in xml (although it's not easy and uses an outdated xml reader interface because it's the only one available). And there's a mod to store data (which I know that you already know about)... SdToolkitAdvanced, I think it's called?

These things are true of Civ IV as well... Modular Flavour Start uses python to read in xml (although it's not easy and uses an outdated xml reader interface because it's the only one available). And there's a mod to store data (which I know that you already know about)... SdToolkitAdvanced, I think it's called?

True. Put it this way: It's far easier to do. There's no need for a complicated method to read xml; The data is read exactly as any other tags are.

The same will hold true of the C++ once we get it; There appears to be little to no need to create new tags in C++, it's all done in XML/SQL.

Which is allowing people to do some fun things already... Though frankly, the majority of new mechanic mods are not publicly available as they're being made by the testers in order to test ideas we have. I've made several. :p

What a tease...

From my more modest stature as a Modder (I'll call myself that after my Elohim modmodmod) I can say that the xml/lua side of civ5 has much more potential than civ4. Unfortunately, it is frustratingly hard to access at the moment due to lack of documentation. So there is a lot of ranting/venting on the threads now, but also a lot of progress via trial and error (and I don't have privy to Eden or other big projects). Just to give a specific example, there are now Lua functions that allow you to save information associated with any player, unit or plot object. In civ4 mods, I (as a non-dll modder) always had to beg Sephi or someone to make a feat or somesuch in the dll if I wanted the game to remember anything from my xml/python modding. Not so in civ5.

Valkrionn, please have mercy on the rest of us and update the civ5 modding wiki (where you have information) so we can implement these functions with less pain.

[Edit: sorry all. I thought I was on the civ5 modding thread not the MoMana thread.]

[Edit2: my edit above is really a lie. I'm just hijacking the thread in hopes of Sephi jumping over to civ5 modding. I'll run back to the civ5 forum now before folks start throwing tomatoes at me.]

What a tease...

From my more modest stature as a Modder (I'll call myself that after my Elohim modmodmod) I can say that the xml/lua side of civ5 has much more potential than civ4. Unfortunately, it is frustratingly hard to access at the moment due to lack of documentation. So there is a lot of ranting/venting on the threads now, but also a lot of progress via trial and error (and I don't have privy to Eden or other big projects). Just to give a specific example, there are now Lua functions that allow you to save information associated with any player, unit or plot object. In civ4 mods, I (as a non-dll modder) always had to beg Sephi or someone to make a feat or somesuch in the dll if I wanted the game to remember anything from my xml/python modding. Not so in civ5.

Valkrionn, please have mercy on the rest of us and update the civ5 modding wiki (where you have information) so we can implement these functions with less pain.

[Edit: sorry all. I thought I was on the civ5 modding thread not the MoMana thread.]

[Edit2: my edit above is really a lie. I'm just hijacking the thread in hopes of Sephi jumping over to civ5 modding. I'll run back to the civ5 forum now before folks start throwing tomatoes at me.]

The only places I have information are already up on the API. Sseckman (Firaxian in charge of modding systems) updated it. http://wiki.2kgames.com/civ5/index.php/Lua_Game_Objects

I still feel that buying Civ5 was paying for a beta test. Vanilla Civ4 was much better transition to a new game, not to mention the significant expansions (aside from DLC). I think it is smart for Sephi to develop WM for Civ4 at this time. Let the company make the game ready for a proper sequel. It seems to be a current trend for many games lately.

What a tease...

From my more modest stature as a Modder (I'll call myself that after my Elohim modmodmod) I can say that the xml/lua side of civ5 has much more potential than civ4. Unfortunately, it is frustratingly hard to access at the moment due to lack of documentation.

I still feel that buying Civ5 was paying for a beta test. Vanilla Civ4 was much better transition to a new game, not to mention the significant expansions (aside from DLC). I think it is smart for Sephi to develop WM for Civ4 at this time. Let the company make the game ready for a proper sequel. It seems to be a current trend for many games lately.

I could not agree more, all the games I was looking forward to this year (Disciples III, CiV, and Elemental) have been quite disappointing. Not that they don't have potential, but they still need a lot of work and should not have been published in their current state!

Lucky me, I did not buy CiV and Elemental, because my paranoia hindered me to comply with their paranoid DRM.

However, I played a few games with the patched Beta 11 and after the Sheaim zerg-rushed me twice, I am in love with the new improved AI. Sephi definitly taught the AI a few new tricks.

Sephi and team have been very good at trying to solve OOS issues, I can vouch for that as I only play MP.

all this waiting is getting to me, pls release it now :D, no really i have a feeling this will be epic, thx in advance sephi and team

no one knows yet how moddable CIV5 will be. We can only wait and see.

Sephi, Valkrionn
What do you wait for exactly? Untill other modders will show how moddable CIV 5 is? CIV 5 is extremely good!! Yes, it is much more simplified and much more easy to play then BTS. But I think it was done on purpose: 1. to attract new audience of young, less experienced and less smart gamers. 2 to create a room for future sellable addons . It is about making money for the company after all....

Did you talk to Jon Shafer?? May be he will like your idea of making fantasy world expansion CIV game!! Did Kael try to talk to Firaxis guys about this? Fall from heaven could be a wonderful commercial expansion to CIV 5!! You will get money for this and firaxis will get money for this. FFH2 has 450k downloads!

Sephi, Valkrionn
What do you wait for exactly? Untill other modders will show how moddable CIV 5 is? CIV 5 is extremely good!! Yes, it is much more simplified and much more easy to play then BTS. But I think it was done on purpose: 1. to attract new audience of young, less experienced and less smart gamers. 2 to create a room for future sellable addons . It is about making money for the company after all....

Did you talk to Jon Shafer?? May be he will like your idea of making fantasy world expansion CIV game!! Did Kael try to talk to Firaxis guys about this? Fall from heaven could be a wonderful commercial expansion to CIV 5!! You will get money for this and firaxis will get money for this. FFH2 has 450k downloads!

No, we're waiting on the DLL release. As it stands now, you can only work with XML/SQL and Lua. We're waiting on the C++ access, with which we can do far more things (for example, FfH2 would be impossible without it!).

And actually, yes, the Eden team has talked to Shafer. The entire team (or at least, all coders; Warkirby, the artist, joined later) is amongst the testing group. We even have our own forum, within the tester forum.

FfH as a commercial expansion, however, would never happen. Kael now works for Stardock, the competition. It's not an angry split or anything, but it is highly unlikely that Kael would make a game with Firaxis at this point.

I could not agree more, all the games I was looking forward to this year (Disciples III, CiV, and Elemental) have been quite disappointing. Not that they don't have potential, but they still need a lot of work and should not have been published in their current state!
Stardock was pretty smart to gave everyone who bought Elemental this year the first expansion for free. The game definetly has the potential to become awesome (in a different way than Master of Mana :p), but it's a long and hard way.

Lucky me, I did not buy CiV and Elemental, because my paranoia hindered me to comply with their paranoid DRM.
Elemental has no DRM. You only need Impulse to get patches (ok, given the shape the game is in its very necessary, but you can always deinstall Impulse and still run Elemental).

However, I played a few games with the patched Beta 11 and after the Sheaim zerg-rushed me twice, I am in love with the new improved AI. Sephi definitly taught the AI a few new tricks.
yeah, and that's only the beginning. There is a lot more planned :D

Sephi and team have been very good at trying to solve OOS issues, I can vouch for that as I only play MP.

I played a lot MP the last weekend. OOS about once every 200 turns. Probably caused by random events or network lag. Definetly playable.

all this waiting is getting to me, pls release it now :D, no really i have a feeling this will be epic, thx in advance sephi and team

you can get the last beta at
http://www.epicdestiny.site90.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=446

in case you don't want to wait. it's not that much different from Master of Mana 1.0

Sephi, Valkrionn
What do you wait for exactly? Untill other modders will show how moddable CIV 5 is?
yes, but more important is
1.) the new graphic engine is very buggy, especially in DX 10 mode. Even two month after Release these very basic problems exist.
2.) The game cannot be played in Multiplayer currently (well, you can play it without mods, but it is in many ways a big step back from CIV4 multiplayer features)
3.) Performance is horrible.

I have better things to do, than deal with a broken/buggy game. Should Firaxis manage to fix it (they have a pretty good track record after all), I can still mod it but so far I am very disappointed with the game.

Golly, looks like I stumbled back at just the right time. Can't wait to see what you've come up with.

just downloading beta11, very excited about it i think i ll play it non-stop for the next 48 hours :D, perhaps if u could tell me sephi what the main difference between beta11 and MoM 1.0 will be?

just downloading beta11, very excited about it i think i ll play it non-stop for the next 48 hours :D, perhaps if u could tell me sephi what the main difference between beta11 and MoM 1.0 will be?

bugs will be fixed, balance issues will be fixed, maybe also a new aspect of the new magic system will be implemented. And a few other things... But just read the threads in the beta-forum. I don't think that there will be a lot of big differences from beta 11 to MoM.

Greez,

Tschuggi

well the most important thing that will be available with MoM, is a some documentation, which sephi is currently working on :)

And actually, yes, the Eden team has talked to Shafer.

How did it go? Any nice news expecting in a future? Did Shafer like the idea of making stand alone CIV5 fantasy like commercial expansion? Does he know how big success had FFH2 ?

This is realy understandable why you are tired of working with the someone's world. You want to create your own world. But from other point of view Fall From Heaven is a 450k huge brand already!!!! This name is awesomely known and awesomely hardcore dark-fantasy genius! If Derek gives you permission to use it in new CIV5 fantasy commercial expansion..then why not to take the this name? I think he would be glade to give you his "blessing" to use this name. It would make this name super alive again!...It is really sad that FFH2 is dying since he works only on Elemental now.

Sorry for the off top :crazyeye:. Don't know where to post it. I want Sephi also to read this.

Last post I'll make on the subject in this thread, I don't want to steal it.

The fact that we talked to him about it does not mean we talked to him about commercially releasing it. I highly doubt that would happen; For one thing, it would imply Firaxis either leasing the Civ5 engine (not likely any time soon) or employing us in some way; Given our current positions (We are mostly either students or lack degrees) that is unlikely atm.

In short: Don't get your hopes up. Eden will be a mod, FfH3 is unlikely unless Sephi creates it (In which case I would urge A) Using a new name, B) Creating a new setting, citing FfH as only inspiration), and I doubt there would ever be a Civ5 fantasy expansion. Doesn't fit with the historical theme of the series.

Top Bottom