Game of the Year

2009 looks pretty interesting. Tomb Raider: Underworld, Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - Director's Cut and Grand Ages: Rome all came out this year, as of course did Assassin's Creed II and Dragon Age: Origins... I really liked both of the last two.

I don't think it is fair to have Broken Sword as a 2009 game, regardless of a different version (director's cut) being released then. The original was out in...1996!

2009 has Minecraft, iirc.

I was just going down the Wikipedia list of games released that year. BS1 was fun, but it's hardly my game of the year. :)

L4D is my 2008 vote before that poll closes. If minecraft was out in 09, then I'll have to give it my vote too.

We haven't really started 2009 yet, I don't believe.

For 2008 it has to be X3: Terran Conflict for me.

At summer 2009 i broke my leg and spent two months at the bed. X3:TC saved me of going nuts. Few games could have keep me busy along all that empty time. Sometimes i even miss those two months.

Batman Arkham Asylum is also 2009. Very awesome action game, one of the best. Started the whole modern batman series. The combat with a game pad is sweet. It's very fluid, not overly complex with combos like a fighting game is, but has enough options to make it fun. It's one of the best parts of the game. But what really puts it over the top is the open world exploring you can do. The map is small but totally open. Want to batclaw your way to the roof and poke around? Go for it. Want to plant explosives over there and see what's behind? Have fun. Tons of unlocks to find, and a good story and great voice acting. In all a really polished game that delivers on everything it sets out to do.

Still not going to sway me from DAO but it's a nice title.

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden :D But seriously:

Grand Theft Auto IV
Mirror's Edge
Street Fighter IV
Fallout 3
Telltale Sam & Max

Hard to make a choice for 2008. I might have to give the edge (hur hur) to Telltale's first Sam & Max game, the first successful episodic release.

There wasn't anything that stood out to me in 2008.
2009 has to be Dragon Age: Origins.
The last Bioware game before they started to specialize in RPGs for people who don't like RPGs.

I think I'll go for Dragon Age: Origins over Assassin's Creed II in 2009, because it's only Mass Effect 2 and AC: Brotherhood for me in 2010 and I far preferred the latter.

I'll be perfectly honest and say I thought ME was out before DAO. But in this period, I was just getting back into gaming on account of my rig being able to play them. The truth is that I played many of these games a few years after their initial release. But if the ones I have played, it has to be dragon age origins. Probably biowares best rpg in my opinion. So much was good about this game. I would describe it as the epitome of Zelda64. And in that it is in great company.

ME1 came out in 2007. ME2 came out the year after DA:O.

I guess it reflects how 2009 was a rather bad year ?
There is barely any game registering at all, even less being worthy of praise.

Dragon Age : Origin for me, though Assassin's Creed II is a close call. There is just Borderlands and Dawn of War II which could pretend to be contenders outside of the former two.

2009 releases

AAA:

Assassin's Creed II - Well, half of it anyway. Still has one of the best soundtracks.
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Considered to be the best in the series until A Thief's End.

Indies:

Planet M.U.L.E.
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Trine
Zeno Clash

I have to give my vote to Zeno Clash, one of the most insane beat-em-ups ever.

Top Bottom