COTM 5 : First Spoiler (End of Ancient Age)

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
This will be the first spoiler for COTM 5: Incas.

To qualify to read or post here, you must:
  1. Be researching a Middle Ages tech.
  2. Have contacts with all civilizations on the starting continent.
  3. Have a full map of the coastine of the starting continent.

Of course, if you have completed your game before reaching the Middle Ages you are also welcome to describe your feat here.

If you have met tribes from other land masses, please do not post any information or screenshots that indicate where they live. Screenshots should only show your starting continent. Please do NOT include any information about your progress into the Middle Ages. At the top of your spoiler notes, please indicate whether you are playing Predator, Open or Conquest class.

So, let us know how you dealt with the starting terrain. Did you build any Chasqui scouts? Did you kick off an ancient Golden Age? Did you have to overcome any special problems with resources? :rolleyes:

AlanH said:
Of course, if you have completed your game before reaching the Middle Ages you are also welcome to describe your feat here.

Oh now this makes my accomplishments seem rather meager...

@danman: If you check out the pre-game discussion you'll find that a small band of mad fools, lead by SirPleb, has undertaken to try for an Ancient Age Conquest in this game, and I wouldn't put it past some of them to achieve it.

But don't let them put you off. They are well outnumbered by 150 or more rational players who will produce conventional reports and take us onwards and upwards into the Middle and Industrial Ages in future spoilers.

Open Class.

Goal: 1) Conquest win. 2) Highest C3C Score I’ve ever had 7000+ 3) MA win.

Unlike SirPleb and the rest of his elite knights I will not try the AAC

Here are the high lights of my time line.

4000 BC: Cuzco founded.
3400 BC: Met the Aztecs.
3300 BC: Met Greece. Got 1st settler.
3250 BC: Got “Bronze Working”, study “Iron Working”. Got “Ceremonial Burial” from a goody hut.
3150 BC: Started war with Greece, lost warrior.
3050 BC: Tiwanaku founded.
3000 BC: Got “Warrior Code” from a goody hut.
2750 BC: Met Rome. Traded “Masonry” for “Alphabet” + 10gp.
Made peace with Greece they gave 10gp.
2590 BC: Machu Picchu founded.
2550 BC: Got a warrior from a goody hut.
2510 BC: Started war with Rome took their worker.
2470 BC: Got “Iron Working”, study “Writing”. What luck the iron is next to Tiwanaku and my worker is building a road on it!
2390 BC: Got a warrior from a goody hut.
2310 BC: Met India.
2150 BC: Ollantaytambo founded. Made peace with Rome.
2030 BC: Corihuayrachina founded.
1910 BC: Got “Writing”, study “Code of Law”. Huamanga founded.
1750 BC: Met Celts.
1625 BC: 3 barb are coming.
1600 BC: Killed all barbs will look for village.
1575 BC: Got “Code of Law”, study “Philosophy”. Found the village it has 3 warriors and a horse. Started war with India, lost warrior.
1525 BC: See an other barb village.
1500 BC: Vilcabamba founded this took out village #1.
1475 BC: Start war with Greece, killed warrior took settler. Met Japan, they give “The Wheel” + 35gp for “Alphabet” so now we know the true origin of kanji. I don’t see any close horses. Well except under Athens.
1450 BC: Give “Alphabet” to Celts for “Mysticism” + 35gp.
I’m 1 turn from “Philosophy” so I rush 2 swordsmen that our under 20 shields.
1425 BC: I got “Philosophy” & “Republic”. Trade “Writing” to Japan for “Horseback Riding”. Draw a 5 turn anarchy. Draw a 4 turn on the second revolt. The Celts are building the “Oracle”.
1325 BC: We are now a Republic, study “Mathematics”.
1300 BC: India gives 5gp for peace. Sparta falls. Greece gives a worker for peace.
1200 BC: Got “Mathematics”.
1075 BC: A barb horse got a settler.
1000 BC: Sell “Code of Law” to Aztecs for “Map Making” + 123gp and to Rome for 93gp.

QCS stats:
8 cities, population 29, 1 settler, 5 workers, 1 scout. 5 warriors, 9 swordsmen, 1 Chasqui scout, 4 slaves. No city improvements. 3 techs short of the MA. Republic government. 361gp.

Score:
Inca-211, Celts-170, Japan-160, Aztecs-160, Rome-130, Greece- 114, India-113, Unknown civ-?.

8 cities, 8 pts.
29 pop., 29 pts
1 settler, 2 pts
5 workers, 5 pts
4 slaves, 2 pts

Bradley QCS: 46 pts.

925 BC: Got “Currency”.
900 BC: Vitcos founded.
850 BC: Andahuaylas founded.
825 BC: Started war with Greece took 2 settlers.
710 BC: Met Carthage. After my scout stood on the cost for 700 years. Now that scout can go home to be disbanded.
650 BC: Trade “Republic” to Aztecs for “Construction” + 55gp.
630 BC: Trade “Literature” to Aztecs for “Polytheism” + 132gp. Entered the MA.

Stats:
13 cities, 3 settlers, 5 workers, 1 scout, 5 warriors, 5 swordsmen, 1 Chasqui scout, 8 slaves.
Score:
Inca-263, Celts-221, Japan-199, Aztecs-191, Carthage-167, Rome-158, India-138, Greece-124.

I,m at war with Greece. They have horses under Athens but it is on a hill with Hoplites, I’ve lost a few swordsmen there. Plus now the Hoplites are elite.

Moderator Action: Reduced the image width to avoid overflow to the right.

denyd said:
There are a couple of conditions I would expect to precude an AAC game being sucessful.

1. If the start has no iron or horses anywhere within reach.
2. Having the Greeks, Carthage (top defenders that don't need iron) nearby
3. Having Rome, Persia, Celts or Rome far from your core with iron
4. Having a remote tribe (think Australia) that would need caravels to find
I think as soon as I saw hoplite-guarded Athens parked on top of the only local horses, any vague ideas of ancient age victory rapidly dissipated! A lot of the AAC buzzkills that were speculated by denyd came to fruition. Compunded with the mountains, jungle, and swamps to boot. The map looks like a custom-built challenge for fast conquest at regent. I'm :dubious:, but the big dogs have blown me away with their unbeleivable exploits in the past. I can't wait to see your guys' posts on AAC attempts- this should probably be some of the best reading I've seen on the forum! :goodjob:

Lord Jimbob said:
I think as soon as I saw hoplite-guarded Athens parked on top of the only local horses, any vague ideas of ancient age victory rapidly dissipated! :

And Athens is on a hill! I lost a lot of swordsmen before I took it. :cry:

Predator.

Goal: 20k culture

Cuzco has a hell lot of production :D
And, founding on a Lux helps a lot with happiness early.

Start with a Warrior, then Chasqui, the only one I'll ever build. Then Settler. Was hoping for techs from huts, but couldn't find any. :mad:
Traded for CB, so Temple, then Pyramids, MoM (picked Construction as free tech for Philo), Great Wall, Library, Great Library, Heroic Epic.
Heroic Epic? Yes, the Greeks did attack me. Didn't have that much cities, so I didn't want the war, but since Alex had no Iron, it wasn't a problem to defend at all. The MGL was really stylish, spawned by a Spear in Cuzco against a smaller stack of Archers. Considered attacking their core cities before Trebs/MDI a waste, so I just defended my cities for a long time, and captured only 2 towns interspersed in my territory.
Ok, the Army was already a MDI Army, so this will belong to a different thread, but the Leader was generated in AA. ;)

I'd like some more details from you, Doc.

Here's my log.

First time I am going to attempt to keep a game log for awhile. But I wanted to explain myself in what should be a really fun game, if not particulary high scoring. The goal is 20k. With a food bonus, what amounts to eight bg, a couple hills and lots of forest, this is about as good a non-coastal start as one can ask for.

I settled to the north, a move I am still a bit unsure of. But I wanted the sugar in my radius. Started on granary prebuild for temple and went for CB, since I didn't know if there would be any huts around (and there wasn't). One flaw in this plan. I forgot to switch it to temple, and was stuck with a granary. Settler built next, and finally a forest chop sped temple, then Oracle. During the building of the Oracle, I broke an etiquette rule I guess, and bought workers whenever they became available so I could join them. My second city, Tiwanaku, was on worker duty, so I could get to size 12 and max production as soon as possible.

1650 sees the completion of the first Incan wonder of the world, the Oracle. Production is at 17spt, and Cuzco is at size 9.

1525 is another key year. Cuzcu reaches size 12 with a joined native worker, a joined Indian worker, and natural growth. It is getting 24spt, and I finally figured out a way to reach 25spt, which is the key AA number (need to mine the wheat, which seems unnatural but I think is the only way).

In 1200, the Pyramids complete. It should have been a turn earlier but I didn't force Cuzco to use food from the granary, which I should have done. MoM prebuild for GL, which won't come for two more turns.

When I get Lit., I opt to get a library first. So I check "What's the big picture, go to Cuzco and switch to barracks, rush, and back to Library. So I waste 3 turns on Library instead of 4, not a big deal.

Screwed up and Cuzco rioted after I made peace with the Aztecs who declared on me and gave war happiness, so the whole game lost a turn.

So GLib comes 710, followed by MoM in 550 BC. I discover the Republic the same turn, and with no wonders to build, now is a great time to revolt. Cuzco is at 874 culture and 29cpt, which isn't too bad though I'd hoped for slightly better. The Incan revolution of 530 BC draws a brutal 6 turns. The two revolution exploit wasn't an option here though, since MoM only needed this turns shields to finish.

In 410 BC, the Incan Republic is formed finally formed, and Cuzco gets 28spt.

210 BC, Hanging Gardens complete. I am not sure when exactly I entered the middle ages, but it was sometime in this area, but I forgot to record exact culture or cpt at any definite point.

Will be interesting to compare ourgames, bed_head. I skipped the Oracle for getting the Pyramids ASAP (which helped my empire a lot), but I also missed HGs, which was not intented. But TGW was a great choice, since Greek attacked pretty soon after. Those Hoplites in my lands were alsothe reason for missing HGs, simply couldn't afford Anarchy for a long time, or joining Workers (they had to rebuild quite a number of roads) . But then, Heroic Epic is a culture monster :D, so I don't blame Alex.

btw, I already completed the game, and the only possible wonders Cuzco didn't get were Oracle, HGs, ToA (those 3 I didn't really go for), Smith's (but I did build it somewhere else), and Newton's :)mad: that did hurt...at least, I could use all shields for MilAc). And SDI, since I won one turn before completition. Still, coastal cities are much better, I prefer Colossus a lot over Pyramids. Had a Deity victory with Spain that wasn't much later.

(Note I don't consider Leo's/Tsu's/KT as possible, since you simply will be busy with Sistine's and Bach's at that time).

Open.

Aiming for a fast 100K but the territory and lack of horses is stopping my military ambitions. I was actually just short of the full outline entering the MA in 710BC; my Curragh didn't complete the picture 'til a few turns later.

I was dreadfully slow in getting my first Settler, and hence ToA pre-build, out of the door; thus I only got the ToA completed in 290BC. It was my only Wonder. I started Libraries as soon as I could, and have only just started producing military units. I am going to attack the Aztecs first, they have Horses, the Pyramids, and no 3-Defence defenders on hills :)

Actually, I realised I got a little lucky with the Horses! One of my cities, Machu Pichu, was popped from a Hut just north of Rome. There are Horses to the West of it, and early in the MA the Romans still hadn't settled that spot, and I'd just popped a Settler from Machu Pichu! I'll build a Worker from this city, and cash-rush a harbour ASAP.

The high spot was becoming a Republic in 1450BC! The problem now, though, is to slow the tech pace of this game. I wanted it fast to start with to get access to all the cultural buildings ASAP. Now that I'm there, I want it slow so I can build up a decent military and attack.

Neil. :cool:

open

Decided to try to go for histograph vistory again, and hopefully do better in this game than in cotm4

Decided to start by sending scout 2 east instead of going for the northern hill.

This revealed grassland wheat that would be picked up on first cultural expansion, so decided to settle on spot. The scout going east also showed coast squares next to river, and I decided I would place next town here and build curraghs for exploring instead of the UU scouts.

In entire AA I only found 1 goodiehut (which gave 25gold), so it seems like scouts wasnt that nessesary :)

Went for republic slingshot, and became a republic in 1400BC after 6 turns of anarchy (using the big picture trick first gave me 7 turns, then 6 turns anarchy :( )

stats in 1000BC:

contact with all civs
13 cities, 43 pop
3 settlers
11 workers plus 4 slaves
14 warriors, 1 scout, 2 archers
1 curragh (plus lost one to barbs in interturn between 1025BC and 1000BC)
264 gold

entered MA in 800BC

Gyathaar said:
Went for republic slingshot, and became a republic in 1400BC after 6 turns of anarchy (using the big picture trick first gave me 7 turns, then 6 turns anarchy :( )

I gambled big-time here, initially drew 5 turns, then lucked out with 4! First time I'd remembered to try it as well....

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Will be interesting to compare ourgames, bed_head. I skipped the Oracle for getting the Pyramids ASAP (which helped my empire a lot), but I also missed HGs, which was not intented. But TGW was a great choice, since Greek attacked pretty soon after. Those Hoplites in my lands were alsothe reason for missing HGs, simply couldn't afford Anarchy for a long time, or joining Workers (they had to rebuild quite a number of roads) . But then, Heroic Epic is a culture monster :D, so I don't blame Alex.

btw, I already completed the game, and the only possible wonders Cuzco didn't get were Oracle, HGs, ToA (those 3 I didn't really go for), Smith's (but I did build it somewhere else), and Newton's :)mad: that did hurt...at least, I could use all shields for MilAc). And SDI, since I won one turn before completition. Still, coastal cities are much better, I prefer Colossus a lot over Pyramids. Had a Deity victory with Spain that wasn't much later.

(Note I don't consider Leo's/Tsu's/KT as possible, since you simply will be busy with Sistine's and Bach's at that time).

I'll respond to the note first. I would be amazed if you got those. I was thinking "How did he pull THAT off?" when you said you got all but those three and Smith's and Newton's. I am working on being able to get the Heroic Epic right now with a war on the Aztecs in the 500AD range, when HE is much less useful. My tech pace is also pretty slow, which means I will get Newton's and Bach's, but I don't have them yet and they both come after Shakespeare's, and I don't have Free Artistry yet. I haven't played as well as I hoped. But I suspect with Oracle and Hanging Gardens I will finish before you with a lower Firaxis, and probably lower Jason. Depends on how soon you got SoZ, and some other dates which you still haven't provided (hint, hint). By the way, I got SoZ in 310 AD, even though that is a bit beyond the scope of this thread date wise, it is an AA wonder.

eldar said:
I gambled big-time here, initially drew 5 turns, then lucked out with 4! First time I'd remembered to try it as well....

I did the same 5 then 4, but I did the 2nd by accidebt I checked the wrong buttom. :cry: I must have set dumbfounded :eek: for 5 min. before I saw it worked out for the better. :lol:

COTM 05 - Incas
Player: Grogs
Level: Open

This is my first GOTM/COTM, and also only my 2nd game of Conquests, so it's been interesting so far. I think I was pretty lucky that the first COTM that came my way was at Regent level and not Emperor or something (I've been playing Monarch.) I chose to ignore the Chasquai scout and use more warriors instead.

----------------------BEGINNING OF TURN LOG----------------------------

Turn 0, 4000 BC: Scout moves NE->N onto the hill. We see wheat! NE->E of Cuzco, putting it within the city borders after expansion. Guess the fog gazers were right and wrong about that one ;)

Note: At this point, I was (almost) certain I could turn Cuzco into a 4 turn settler factory, but I wanted to work out the fastest way to get there. Since I had never actually built one before, (my thanks to RFHolloway, that article in the War Academy really laid it out for me) I left the game at this point and used a spreadsheet to plan my moves. After about 2 hours, I came up with a course of action that would produce a granary, 1 warrior, 1 worker, an archer/spear/scout/2 more warriors, and a settler in 24 turns (2850 BC.) After that, 1 settler should roll off the assembly line every 4 turns. :)

Elated by my confirmation, I returned to the game. Moved worker west in preparation for a forest chop. Visited advisors. Science set to 90%; luxury at 0%. researching alphabet (30 turns.) Cuzco is producing warrior (4 turns, will MM to 3), will grow in 7.

Turn 1, 3950 BC: Worker begins forest chop.

Turn 3, 3850 BC: Warrior produced in Cuzco; Cuzco producing granary.

Turn 5, 3750 BC: Worker finishes forest chop -> moves NE.

Turn 6, 3700 BC: Worker begins 2nd forest chop.

Turn 7, 3650 BC: Science 90, luxury 0, Alphabet in 19 turns.

Turn 10, 3500 BC: Worker finishes forest chop -> 10 shields to Cuzco and moves east onto BG square. Cuzco expands due to high culture.

Turn 11, 3450 BC: Alexander contacts me. I trade Bronze Working+Alphabet+10g for Masonry and Pottery. Hopilites next door (ouch.)

Turn 13, 3350 BC: Granary finished in Cuzco and is full already. :) Cuzco set to produce worker. Research changed to writing @ 90% in 39 turns.

Turn 15, 3250 BC: Cuzco produces worker.

Turn 17, 3150 BC: Cuzco produces warrior. Warrior2 fortified in Cuzco for future MP duties.

Turn 19, 3050BC: Cuzco grows to size 3, produces warrior.

Turn 24, 2800 BC: Cuzco produces settler1. The 4 turn settler factory is now open for business. :)

Turn 28, 2630 BC: Cuzco produces settler2. Tiwanaku founded.

Turn 31, 2510 BC: Machu Picchu founded.

Turn 32, 2470 BC: The Aztecs contact me. I give Masonry and Alphabet for Warrior Code, The Wheel, and 10g. The only source of horses I can seem to find is sitting underneath Athens. If I weren't such a trusting person I would think that was intentional.

Turn 33, 2430 BC: Cuzco produces settler. I blew the MM :( and took 5 turns again. I at least didn't make too big of a mess of it by letting Cuzco rise to size 5 or drop to size 2.

Turn 36, 2310 BC: Tiwanaku produces Curragh, begins to produce another. Ollantaytambo founded.

Turn 40, 2150 BC: Corihuayrachina founded (that's a mouthful.)

Turn 42, 2070 BC: Writing complete. Researching philosophy in 9 turns @ 80%. Contact the Romans and trade Masonry for Iron Working +10g. There is iron next to Machu Picchu. Trade Alexander Writing for Ceremonial Burial.

Turn 43, 2030 BC: Tiwanaku produces a 2nd curragh. I send it south down the coastline.

IBT: Herodotus has completed "The Happiest Nations of the World." The rankings are: 1) Inca, 2) Greeks, 3) Indians, 4) Aztecs, 5) Celts, 6) Carthagenians, 7) Japanese, 8) Romans.

Turn 45, 1950 BC: Scout NW->pops a goodie hut and gets a map of the region.

Turn 46, 1910 BC: Huamanga founded.

Turn 49, 1790 BC: Vilcas founded.

Turn 50, 1750 BC: Complete Philosophy, get CoL as free tech. Republic in 34 turns @ 80%.

IBT: Aztecs are constructing Pyramids. I hope they manage to finish them since we're neighbors. :)

Turn 51, 1725 BC: Warrior1 NE, pops goody hut, learns mysticism(!)

Turn 52, 1700 BC: Northern Curragh finally makes contact with the blue-green civ (the Celts.) I trade Brennus Masonry for 35 gold (his entire treasury.)

Turn 55, 1625 BC: Vilcabamba founded.

Turn 58, 1550 BC: Settler8 founds Victos. Northern Curragh sees Japanese warrior. Trade Tokugawa Masonry+Alphabet for Horseback Riding and 35 gold.

Turn 62, 1450 BC: Trade Greece Code of Laws and Mysticism for Map Making and 18g.

Turn 63, 1425 BC: Settler9 founds Andahuaylas.

Turn 65, 1375 BC: Settler10 founds Ica (OT: Isn't Ica a nice name? 5 syllables or less and I'm happy.)

Turn 70, 1250 BC: Contacted by India. Saw some brown people walking around by the northern curragh.

Turn 71, 1225 BC: Contacted brown people, turned out it was Carthage. Gave them mysticism for 10g. We now have contact with 7 other civs.

Turn 72, 1200 BC: Greece has mathematics. Discover Republic, but choose not to revolt just yet.

Turn 75, 1125 BC: Settler12 founds Nasca. Discover Republic, but choose not to revolt just yet. Research set to Currency @ 70%. 14 turns.

Turn 78, 1050 BC: Settler11 founds Juli, claiming the 3 spices.

Turn 79, 1025 BC: Settler 14 founds Chuito.

----------------------------QSC Stats----------------------------------

Population: 40
Cities: 15
Barracks: 5
Granaries: 2
Workers: 10+1 Slave
Warriors: 11
Archers: 2
Spearmen: 3
Swordsmen: 6
Curragh: 2
Luxuries: Furs (2) and spices (need road to capitol for spices)
Resources: Iron (2)
369g in treasury, +7 gpt
Technology: All required techs ex. Construction, Currency, Polytheism known. Also know The Republic. Currently researching currency (7 turns.)
Firaxis Score: 220
-----------------------END OF QSC REVIEW-------------------------------

Turn 86, 850 BC: Settler 15 founds Chuqiapo

Turn 87, 825 BC: Research Currency, Construction in 12 @ 70%

Turn 90, 750 BC: Trade Celts Currency and Writing for Polytheism and 121g. Establish embassy in Greece. Athens is guarded by 2 regular hoplites. It's currently building the Mausoleum of Mallos. Greece has no iron. :)

Turn 91, 730 BC: Tiwanaku begins construction of harbor for future luxuries trading. Established embassy with Aztecs. They have no resources, Tenochtitlan guarded by 2 regular spearmen. Building pyramids in 19. Settler 16 founds Huanuco Pampa beside the cow near the large inland sea. Trade Aztecs Code Of Laws and 50g for Construction. Trade Caesar Polytheism for a worker. Enter the MA. Currently researching Feudalism in 19 turns @ 70%.

Turn 104, 430 BC: My northern and southern curragh linked up, completing their mapping of the coastline.

My thoughts on the game so far: For a game with raging (or was it restless?) barbarians, they seemed to be rather light until after 1000BC, at which point they started coming out of the woodwork. They caught me with my pants down at one point when 11 horses popped out of the SE peninsula and attacked my town. I lost a barracks, a citizen, and ~ 300 gold.

Other than a lack of horses, we seemed to have a good starting postition and I think I've used it to good effect throughout the Ancient Age. I've decided to invade the Aztecs since they have only spearmen as defenders and a source of horses near Tenochtitlan. I've currently got about 12 swords, 2 archers, 2 settlers, and 4 workers gathered in Juli for the invasion.

Here's my empire at the end of the AA in 730 BC:

Open Class

Victory Goal: Domination, (or pos. 2050 milking if domination too slow.)

I Had toyed with the idea of going for Sirpleb's AAC, but after early exploration with the scout and a Chasqui my wimpy side got the better of me. (Well done Denyd, i think you covered all the conditions against AAC)

I settled on the spot and went straight for a granary with the worker chopping down the 2 close forests. My initial build was granary, chasqui, settler, then all settlers till core of around 18 cities was established.

1000BC Stats.

18 cities
38 population
2 settlers
9 workers
9 warriors
8 swordsman
2 chasqui
1 granary

Switched to republic in 1475bc and in 1025bc initiated GA with Chasqui against Greece who had ,(Unfortunately for them :) )temporary ownership of my Horse resource. From then on the game was all - out war from the east of the pangea travelling west and wiping out civs along the way!

To help me achieve an early domination I wanted 2 wonders:

1) Pyramids, Built in 750bc by my capital
2) TOA Also built by capital in 310 bc

The toughest time I had was going against Athens on a hill with swordsman. I attacked it with about 15 swordsman and it was still only just captured! :(

The romans were the next worst but fortunately they did not have many legions yet.

The hardest part of the game was wading through the Mountains, swamp, and hills, etc to get where I wanted to and it was a slow trudge even with 20 + captured workers slaving away at roading to the front lines. Having said that I managed to achieve my goal in the middle ages - largely due to the TOA expanding all the settled cities I was laying down beyind my troops.

Domination victory achieved in 380AD!! - my quickest to date and also my highest jason score so far, very pleased. :goodjob:

Game: COTM 05
Date submitted: 2004-10-03
Reference number: 5129
Your name: Lord British
Software Version: C3C 1.22f for Windows
Entry class: open
Game status: Domination Victory for Inca
Game date: 380 AD
Firaxis score: 6374
Jason score: 11000+
Time played: 11:59:49

Aftergame thoughts

Having pondered my game afterwards there was 1 major idea that I had that could have sped up my victory - Lake travel
Wish I had thought of this before but the inner lake/sea could have been used to bypass the slowest going terrain and with enough boats created (also maybe the GL) it could have resulted in a way quicker time - grr!
(I hope this isn't a spoiler, if so forgive me I haven't been posting long)

This was an awesome map Ainwood, thankyou. Looking forward to see if Sirpleb, etc achieved an AAC victory. Still think it's possible for the top players and I could probably have done it but think it would have taken longer (for me anyway).

Lord British said:
(I hope this isn't a spoiler, if so forgive me I haven't been posting long)
Probably is! :eek: You only have to read the spoiler limits in the first post. I don't know how far into the Middle Ages it goes, but it isn't supposed to at all. However, I can't see anything that will affect other games, so I've let it stand.

AlanH said:
Probably is! :eek: You only have to read the spoiler limits in the first post. I don't know how far into the Middle Ages it goes, but it isn't supposed to at all. However, I can't see anything that will affect other games, so I've let it stand.

Yeah, I read the limits and thought it was ok as you said that having a full map of the coastine of the starting continent was a requirement so the lake/sea is obviously an inland one. :)

So if I finished my game in the middle ages am I supposed to post about it in the next spoiler?
Never mind, I know for next time. :crazyeye:

I move the scout NE-N onto the hills.
He discovers there is indeed a sugar, and the cow that was predicted by the gazers turns out to be wheat.
So this will be a 4 turn factory, priority for now is to get it running as fast as possible.

I could settle where i stand or move one tile NE.

I calculated the following options:

Settle where i stand, granary -> settler. Mine bg -> irrigate wheat -> mine BG.
-Granary @ turn 14. Settler @ turn 19.

Settle where i stand, Warrior -> granary - settler.
-granary @ turn 16, settler @ turn 20.

Settle where i stand, scout(or 2 warriors) -> granary - settler.
-granary @ turn 18, settler @ turn 22.

Settle where i stand. Warrior -> worker - granary - settler.
-granary @ turn 20, settler @ turn 24.

I started calculating with a move NE, but it quickly became obvious the production would be so low, that a start like this could not compete with any of the former calculations.

I choose to build 1 warrior.
Research is started on Alphabet.

3350BC:
Contact Aztecs, I get Warrior Code and 10 gold for Masonry.

3300BC:
Contact Greece, I get Bronze Working, Alphabet and 10 gold from them for Pottery and Warrior Code.
Alphabet->Writing.

3200BC:
My scout whitnesses the horrifying death of an aztec settler who carelessly wanders over an erupting volcano. :goodjob:
The screams of the exploding settler will probably haunt him in his sleep for the years to come :D

2800BC:
Meet Celts. I get The Wheel, Ceremonial Burial and 10 gold from them for Masonry and Alphabet.

2630BC:
Iron working from Greece for The Wheel and Masonry.
I have Iron under one of my cities.

2350BC:
Warrior from goody hut.
Meet Rome, they have nothing to offer.

2270bC:
my scout got killed by a barbarian.

2110BC:
Meet India, hey have nothing to offer.

1700BC:
Mysticism from Greece for writing.
50 gold from Aztecs for Ceremonial Burial.

1625BC:
Philosophy ready, republic slingshot succeeded. 3 turn anarchy.
Math from Greece for Code of Laws.
Research at Currency.

1600BC:
Horseback Riding from Aztecs for Alphabet and Mysticism.

1500BC:
gather gold (70 total) from AI's by selling them first masonry.

1225BC:
2 workers and 25 gold from the celts for Math.
Map Making and 25 gold from Greece for Currency.
Research on Polythism.

1100BC:
Completing research on Polytheism, i enter MA.
Greece is only 4 techs behind on me, the others are 7-10 techs behind.

1000BC:
Lost a worker to a horsebarb.
87 gold from celts for philosophy.

Stats:
15 towns, 53 population (41% of world population)
1 settler
21 worker
2 slaves
3 warrior
3 swordsmen (vet)
1 chasqui scout (elite)
All AA techs.
119 gold.

6 granaries
6 barracks

Attachments

• 1000BC.jpg