SGOTM5 - Russia Maintenance Thread

mad-bax

Deity
GOTM Staff
SGOTM5 - Russia. Maintenance Thread.

Please use this thread to discuss issues relevent to the game. No spoiler information will be tolerated here.

Here is the start position.

Map Parameters
Playable Civ - Russia
World size - Large, 25% land give or take.
Difficulty Regent - but plays harder.
The map is handbuilt, and therefore may not have a standard configuration.

Here are a couple of links you might find useful.

The original GOTM23 Announcement.
The Constitution
The GOTM Reference Thread.

This Months' sponsored variant is OBCC - One Built City Conquest the rules for which are as follows.

1. You may never build a settler.
2. You must win by conquest victory condition.

Rule changes for this game

The SGOTM mod is based on the GOTM23 setup. But there are various changes that players need to be aware of.

1.29f/PTW Equivalency changes.
1. All the Civs that are included in PTW but are missing from 1.29f have been added to 1.29f.
2. Medeivel Infantry and Guerilla have been added to 1.29f.
3. All Starting workers are now called eqWorker in both versions of the software. Eqworkers cannot be bought, sold or disbanded. Eqworkers cannot be built. The standard Worker has not changed in any respect, and has exactly the same functionality as in 1.29f.
4. Outposts, airfields and Radar Towers cannot be built by the PTW workers, or by any other method.
5. All flavour units have been removed from both versions of the software.
6. All flavour civilisations have been removed from both versions of the software.
7. Most Modern units have been given the same stats as in C3C or as near as the limit of the hardcoded values in 1.29f. allow. Lethal Land or Sea Bombardment has not been implemented for any units.
8. The Mongolian UU is now A/D/M 3/2/2 with zone of control. It costs 50 shields to build, requires horses and horseback riding. It gets no movement bonus on mountains. Unfortunately this change is forced, since it is not possible to implement the movement bonus for the standard Keshik in 1.29f.

Gameplay Equalisation.
1. War mobilisation has been reinstated in both versions of the software. It becomes available with the discovery of Nationalism as in the original game.
2. Leaders cannot hurry great wonders or small wonders. They may however be disbanded for 250 shields.
3. The Heroic Epic no longer requires a victorious Army in the field. It is now a small wonder that is available with the discovery of warrior code. This may be used to reduce the disadvantage that players attempting a non-military victory have due to not being able to rush wonders. It also means that players and teams persuing a military victory will be more likely to face AI armies.
4. Differential Naval Movement is engaged by default.
5. It is not possible to pop settlers from huts.
Reporting of Errors and Ommissions is welcomed and should be posted in this thread.

Everyone needs to follow at least one of the steps set out below. Please read the post carefully and follow the step(s) that are relevent to you. If you mess it up, don't panic. Just e-mail me at S_GOTM@gotm.civfanatics.net or PM me or any of the GOTM staff. We will help you.

SGOTM5 Setup for ALL PTW Players

Those people wishing to play SGOTM5 using the PTW software need to download >>THIS<< file. Unzip this file into your Civilization/Civ3PTW/Scenarios directory. If you do this correctly you should find a new SGOTM5 folder in your Scenarios directory. If you wish to mess around with the resources files, then there is a readme file in this new directory that tells you how. Otherwise, you can just go ahead and play the game with the set of resources graphics I have provided by default.

SGOTM5 Setup for CivIII 1.29f players (including Mac) who have not setup to play GOTM25 or later.

If you are playing Civ III 1.29f and have not played GOTM25 or beyond, then you need to download and install some game packs that add some different units, resources and civilizations to the game.

Windows players can get the install packs at the following links:

GOTM 21 Full setup:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/gotm21_v129_full_setup.exe

GOTM22 Add-On Setup:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/gotm22_v129_add_on_setup.exe

GOTM23 Add-on Setup:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/gotm23_v129_add_on_setup.exe

GOTM24 Add-On Setup:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/gotm24_v129_add_on_setup.exe

GOTM 25 Add-On Setup:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/gotm25_v129_add_on_setup.exe

Mac OS X players with CivIII v.1.29b2 can use a single installer:
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/GOTM_Mac_Installer.dmg.zip

All you need to do is download these, and then install them in the order that you download them. The key point is to make sure that when the installer asks where you want to install to, that you make sure that it installs to the directory where you installed Civ to in the first place. You now need to go ahead and install the correct resource pack for the game. Instructions for this are set out in the next section.

Resources and PediaIcons setup for ALL CivIII 1.29f players

Because there are a lot of people who play SGOTM but not GOTM, I have re-mapped the resources files so that they will not interfere with a "normal" game. The new resources can be found >>HERE<<. Unzip this file into your Civilization/Scenarios directory. If you do this correctly you should find a new directory called SGOTM4 in your Scenarios folder. If you open this new folder you will find a readme file which explains how to install the files you require for this game.

If you have any problems with either the installation of these files, changing the resources.pcx files or any error messages playing the game of the month, then please don't hesitate to e-mail or send a PM to myself or one of the GOTM staff. :)

Test Saves

CivIII 1.29f (Vanilla)
Vanilla test save

CivIII PTW
New test save.

You should see sheep in the start position for 1.29f and goats for PTW. If you see no animals then you probably have the standard resources installed.

Test save is loaded and tested with PTW.
Now waiting for the team rosters and threads :)

I must say I really like the new rule changes and the return of mobilization. It should make the game more challenging while improving the comparison between games. :thumbsup:

I've just been having a small technical difficulty with the equipment that connects chair to keyboard (as Alan would say). Give me half an hour.

These are the teams.

If there are any errors or ommissions please say ASAP so that I can fix it. Thanks. :)

The team threads are UP.

The save games are available.

Who would your name be confused with? :confused:

Other than that misfit guy...

The last I knew the submission page was case sensitive to your nick. I have enough trouble remembering what my name is IRL much less which way my nick should be spelled. It's no big deal if MB does not want to change it but for GOTM and SGOTM uniformity it should be a capital M.

Hey Mistfit!!!
Nice new shiny avatar you got...
Welcome back and stay away from Wooden spoons this time. :)

Mistfit said:
but for GOTM and SGOTM uniformity it should be a capital M.
It's already been changed in the database :D

Mistfit: I have corrected your nick in my spreadsheet and in the database.
Chamnix has been removed from team Peanut and replaced with MailMan.

Edit: I have also caught an error which has been around for nearly two weeks. The land form is 25% Land, and not 75%.

mad-bax said:
Edit: I have also caught an error which has been around for nearly two weeks. The land form is 25% Land, and not 75%.
25% land??? We're doooooomeeeed!!! J/K!

As always, mad-bax makes a very good job for SGOTM(ok, and the rest of the stuff also makes a good job :D ) :goodjob:

Accepting that the attempt we made to limit spoiler information in the results presentation was largely ineffective during SGOTM 4, we've decided to change the approach.

The cutoff date no longer applies. All team scores and dates are now displayed and plotted on the graphs up to, but not including, the final score and date for a finished game. These, and the victory conditions and rankings, will not be shown until the game closes. Teams are also shown in alphabetical order for games in progress, so no conclusions can be drawn from the listing order.

These changes also apply to SGOTM 4, as it is still in progress.

May I ask what level barbarians are set to.
Or is it unknown variable we have to find out on our own?

I thought quite carefully about what information to release prior to the start of the game. Barb levels and whether the map was continents, pangea or islands were two parameters that were quite difficult to decide about. In the end I decided to let you find out for yourselves. :)

AlanH said:
Accepting that the attempt we made to limit spoiler information in the results presentation was largely ineffective during SGOTM 4, we've decided to change the approach.

The cutoff date no longer applies. All team scores and dates are now displayed and plotted on the graphs up to, but not including, the final score and date for a finished game. These, and the victory conditions and rankings, will not be shown until the game closes. Teams are also shown in alphabetical order for games in progress, so no conclusions can be drawn from the listing order.

These changes also apply to SGOTM 4, as it is still in progress.
The team summary table and the graph work as described, but the list still shows the final save and its Firaxis score.

mad-bax said:
You should see sheep in the start position for 1.29f and goats for PTW. If you see no animals then you probably have the standard resources installed.
So, is it ok to play if I don't see goats? I think I did everything I was supposed to, but no goats.

Top Bottom