GOTM 36 Results and Congratulations

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
After the points-spree last in the last game, things settled down a bit this month with only one player scoring in excess of 11,000 points, and only 8 getting in excess of 10,000.

The comfortable winner was Dynamic, with a domination victory triggered in 480 AD. A'AbarachAmadan gained the silver with domination in 600 AD, and Bradleyfeanor was back in third with the fastest conquest victory.

Summary of medal winners::

Dynamic: 480 AD Domination Victory, 11167 points.

A'AbarachAmadan: 600 AD Domination Victory, 10929 Points.

Bradleyfeanor: 810 AD Conquest Victory: 10367 Points.

Other award winners:

klarius: 910 AD Conquest Victory, 10236 points.

Renata: 1280 AD Diplomatic Victory, 8751 points.

Megalou: 1776 AD Cultural 20k Victory, 8066 points.

Lord British: 2050 AD Histographic Victory, 7798 points.

civ_steve: 1405 AD Spaceship Victory, 7207 points.

tao: 1772 AD Cultural 100k Victory, 6883 points.

Butzull: 1762 AD Domination Victory, 6072 points.

CruddyLeper: 1828 AD Diplomatic Victory, 3898 points.

volfan37132: 1870 AD Cultural 20k Victory, 3166 points.

Theophilus: 1922 AD Spacerace Victory, 3009 points.

Lance: 1545 AD Diplomatic Loss, 2005 points.

pbbellri: 1816 AD Conquest Loss, 251 points.

Congratulations to all who participated!

do we have a page somewhere that explains what those colored shields mean.
I know what ambulances are, but what are shields for?

dmanakho said:
do we have a page somewhere that explains what those colored shields mean.
I know what ambulances are, but what are shields for?
The colored shields are for the lowest scoring Victory in each category. A player (philip_martin, IIRC) started these non-official awards as an alternative to "milking", which was the only way to medal in GOTM at the time. This way you could compete to win, but intentionally score as low as possible to get an award. Eventually the 'Shields' were incorporated as part of the GOTM awards.

Congratulations to all the players and winners! :)

I've added a page listing the medals and awards here, and it is linked from the blurb at the top of the results page.

:thanx: everyone for 'xplaining :)

Congratulations to all player who win this Emperior game!

As I see the main victory condition is Domination. klarius takes the 4-th place with lowest scoring Conquest! And tao is single player who win by Culture 100K. :eek:

Congratz to all players, especially to Lord British who prevented me from getting the Cow. :)

tao: 1772 AD Cultural 100k Victory, 6883 points.

The one and only 100k player. Nobody considered the British a cultural nation? ;)

The low score reflects my lack of experience in doing 100K; at least I learned a lot on how to do it better. If I ever want to do it, since I now have both 100k awards. :)

Indeed, what's left to strive for? ;) And klarius getting lowest-scoring conquest victory with a 10000+ point game really takes the cake, too.

Congrats, everybody! Dynamic's domination date is mind-boggling. :thumbsup: So is Megalou's 20K date, come to that. And considering both civ_steve and SirPleb would have beaten me to lauch by 10-12 turns, I'm feeling quite fortunate to have bailed out to diplo, even if I did almost wind up with the green ambulance instead. :)

Renata

This game slipped away from me. Which was disappointing. But on the plus side I beat AlanH by two turns :banana: ;)
Congrats to everyone who competed :)

Renata said:
So is Megalou's 20K date, come to that.
Thanks! A comment like this makes the 99 hrs :eek: seem more worthwhile. It was not a perfect game (I created too few leader opportunities for myself in the early MA for one thing) but on a side note I would yet again like to ask the staff to consider some kind of incentive for the cultural victory conditions. We were only 4 people who chose either of them.

And tao, your 100K date looks very good indeed, especially considering the geography! :thumbsup:

Congratulations, emperors of the world!

Well, I *have* started playing them myself (cotm06 and up until I get that award)... ;). And on the whole I think the popularity is rising with a couple of very good players specializing in them. Maybe we, as players, can use the pre-game discussion to recruit other players for a certain victory type.

Congrats to all the players. Well done. :thumbsup: Special congrats to Renata, who just recently started playing again and already picked up an award. :goodjob:

Corgrats all, I didn't even return to this post-AA so I'm not sure what else lurked out there....

Neil. :cool:

I found amusing that Civ_Steve is 36 positions below Sir_Pleb, yet he managed to slip an award from his hands (not a good present for a birthday).
But seriously it just underlines the fact that fastest victory does not necessarily requires going for domination ASAP and may be achieved through less straight approach.

samildanach said:
This game slipped away from me. Which was disappointing. But on the plus side I beat AlanH by two turns

Indeed! Well done. And how gentlemanly of you not to mention the six places between us ;)

I, too, lost focus in this game. The final 500 years passed in a blur of repeated awakenings to find my cold, dead hand clutching a mouse in the wee small hours, wondering where the heck I was. My troops wandered about the map as if on a Cooks tour, and there was no chance of writing up any spoilers. And flippin' cities kept me just below the domination threshold for well over those two turns.

Congratulations to all players :goodjob:. I really must sit down and read the details of some of these games, and work out how the quick guys managed to get around this map so fast. Those fast Conquests represent a level of logistical know-how I can only dream of achieving.

Wow, facinating results this month, especially with the Sir Pleb/Civ_Steve space race and Klarius's lowest scoring conquest/4th highest Jason finish. :hmm: (Sorry for the small part I played in the latter one). If I had not played, would Klarius have recieved the lowest and highest scoring conquest awards???

Congrats to all who played, and especially to Dynamic and A'AbarachAmadan. Great games guys! :goodjob:

Edit: Good luck on that 100k award Space, although I went 100k in COTM6 also, so I hope you don't have too much luck! Those 100k games take too long, and as soon as I can get the two awards for them (COTM/GOTM), I doubt I will play them again unless it is some sort of special challenge.

Congrats to the winners and thanks to Ainwood and the GOTM staff for organising the game. I finally managed a top 100 finish, although with only 91 submissions that wasn't too hard :) .

Top Bottom