New Unit: Legion of the Wall (Dec. 15, 2004)

CamJH

Uncle Cam
Legion of the Wall

Download the Legion of the Wall

Previews:
Fortify, AttackA

The Legion of the Wall will serve as a unique unit for the nation of Ghealdan in the upcoming Wheel of Time Mod.

Credits: Many thanks are due to Kinboat once again for allowing me the use of his models. Cyber Dreyk and Steph also deserve credit for their wonderful programs that make unit creation that much easier.

Enjoy! :D

Awesome work. Can't wait for this mod. I think I have been saying that too much. Hearing myself echo.

This looks like it could be an excellent halberdier in a regular game...

This unit is great! I definately have use for it in my present game, and can't wait to see this WoT mod. Nice job!

nice, but a bit late.

I just uploaded my mod and I really could have used an armored halberdier figure.

I'll dl it for v2.0 of my mod.

Nice work again. Ah . . . I remember the good old days when I couple pump out units one right after the next--only yours are of better quality than mine were. But, time it seems has passed me by. Anyway, congratulations on another fine unit, and keep 'em coming.

Hey, this is really good. It's pretty much perfect for use as "Kain's Dragoons," one of the UU's for the Kingdom of Baron for the Final Fantasy mod. :D

I don't know about that utahjazz7, I'm a big fan of your units. But thanks for the compliment. ;) I'll try and keep churning them out.

dugfromthearth, that's what patches are for. :mischief:

And thanks to everyone else as well. Hope you can put it to good use. :)

Again I have to say....MOST EXCELLENT!! :goodjob:

Looks very good... Is he tossing his halberd up in the fortify? :D Nice touch.

Yup. :D I looked at the animation for the Civ3 Pikeman fortify, and it looks like the pike magically slides slides into position, so I wanted to come up with something a little bit better. Glad you like it. Although I do believe aaglo beat me to it with the fortify for his Chaos Dwarf Hero in its fortify animation.

That's one great unit! :wow:
I don't remember any Ghealdean halberdiers, but whatever, most of us can use this unit, I think. I've been missing a really good halberdier for ages, it seems...
(Hopefully constructive) criticism: It seems that the attack doesn't really circle, it "jumps" back to the start position...
I think that a hacking AttackB could be cool (I can wish, right? :mischief: ).
I really like the fidget. :D

I made an alternative small pedia pic, the broken halberd looked a bit strange. I'm guessing that you shrunk the big one in indexed mode; in Photoshop, at least, I think it's better to change it to RGB before shrinking, and then reindexing, this gives a smoother pic. IMO, of course. :)

Attachments

• LegionWallSmallAlt.pcx
    1.4 KB · Views: 228
Thanks for putting together an alternate small pcx mrtn. :) And you're right, WoT doesn't mention the Legion of the Wall as being halberdiers, it actually doesn't describe them as anything specific. It just seemed that a number of the units I've done for WoT and am in the process of doing are largely sword units, so I figured this would be a good unit to switch things up a bit since there was a bit of room left open to interpretation. Glad you like the fidget. :) I actually had no idea what I wanted to do for the fidget animation, and all of a sudden that popped into my head.

The attack may look that way because I sped it up quite a bit to match the pacing of other civ units. I gave it 3-4 frames from the end of the second attack motion (of AttackA) to return to the start (usually plenty of space). I'm really crunching my time together to try and finish up the Kandori unit before I take off for a couple of weeks, but if I get it done soon enough. I may post an extra attack. We'll see.

I like walls. I like lesions, but only the good kind. So you bet I like this guy.
As others have said, nice fortify. Something I'd like to see in a polearm attack (for the next animator who does a pikeman type) is the soldier taking a step or two back to make some distance before going for a lunge with his 9 foot stick. That way he wouldn't totaly run the other guy through. Downside might be the swordsman or mid infantry he's fighting probably wouldn't reach all the way for a convincing body shot. Perhaps have and attack B where the poleman grips up and steps in to take a whack. Just suggestions, oh great unit creators, they which bestow flavor upon all walks of civ3.

Excellent pikeman flavour unit! Perfect, really good.

Rufus T. Firefly said:
uhlala', finally we have a good halabardier.
Precisely!

Thanks so much for your work, CamJH!

Heh, I thoguht I recognised that style of fortification, could a human feasibly do that with such a large weapon, out of interrest? It's a really great-looking unit anyway though.

Top Bottom