GOTM 39 Pre-Game Discussion:

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Classic GOTM 39: Germany!

Civilization: Germany (Scientific, Militaristic)
Difficulty: Monarch.
World Size: Standard, Pangaea, 70% Ocean, 5 Billion Years.
Climate: Temperate, wet.
Rivals: 11 pre-selected.
Barbarians: Roaming.

Conquest Class Benefits:
  1. Extra starting worker.
  2. Starting scout.
  3. 50 Gold.

Predator Class Equalisers:
  1. Attack bonus v barbs halved.
  2. AI each begin with 2 pikemen.
  3. AI Unit support increased to emperor level.

Ainwood left this little orphan thread on my doorstep as he stepped on his magic carpet to vacation-land. I thought you might find it interesting, so here it is.

Enjoy ;)

PIKEMEN?!?!

I'm gonna stick with Open this month, just for the sake of getting low-score conquest or domination. (Cheap libraries/unis means 100k might be an option, but I think I won that shield for 38.)

As far as the start goes:
Good:
River
Game on forest
Bad:
No BGs in sight.
Probably 1-2 tiles from coast.

Probably move worker across river to see if there's any hills or BGs in sight, if we're near water it's probably an inland sea or an ocean on a horseshoe-shaped pangaea.

This game on forest means we'll have 30 shields to do things with before getting to size 2. Warrior, barracks, warrior, settler seems like a good start sequence, or maybe just 4 warriors real fast. By the time we get to size 2 we'll have a tile mined so we can time the settler to happen exactly on turn 21. I think. Start research on wheel, then Iron Working, then HBR to secure all AA units and to begin looking for resources. Monarch means probably few/no lux's near start and horses/iron is going to be hard to get to.

Golden Ambulance Progress:
GOTM 32 Spaceship
? GOTM 38(Speculative) 100k
or GOTM 39 Conquest or Domination

That one sounds suspiciously similar to CotM 7, with Austria. It was crowded as well, but continents, on emperor.

let's have a go:

Worker north because game needs to be liberated from the forest anyway. If nothing interesting shows, I'll settle in place. The starting location can create a workerpump in 3 turns. It looks like there is jungle to the south and us being non-industrious and on a crowded map, workers in greater numbers will be important.

When the worker starts chopping right away I'll have time to build 2 warriors before the chopped forest goes in a granary(-prebuild?). But mayby a settler first when the warriors spot a food-rich location.

On a crowded pangea map it's very rewarding to get to know the others asap. Then you'll have to do very little research yourself at first. It also looks very tempting in these circumstances (crowded and monarch) to do a quick archer-rush, just like the good old AI-Bismarck. Though I must confess that it went hopelessly down the drains in my recent Sumerian days. :(

solenoozerec said:
Pikeman? Do they start with Feudalism too?

No, I can't imaging that. The pikemen are probably just parachuted in.

Maybe I should try an archer rush, if just for fun. That would mean that Predator would make it really hard, though. :(

Mistfit said:
Is it a standard size map or is it large (hence the 11 foes)?

Come, come Mistfit, not so negative... 11 friends, or 11 collegues or (if you must) 11 rivals, but surely not foes

Hmm - crowded map. I agree that an archer rush is in order, as I'm going to try for my first Civ III conquest victory. Assuming I have time to play, of course.

I think I'll irrigate the tile between the river and deer before chopping so that I get four food from the tile as soon as possible after chopping.

Edit: I might just move my settler NW, depending what the worker sees when it moves there.

WillowBrook said:
I think I'll irrigate the tile between the river and deer before chopping so that I get four food from the tile as soon as possible after chopping.

Edit: I might just move my settler NW, depending what the worker sees when it moves there.

If you settle in place or NW you can irrigate the deer rightaway after chopping,

@Redbad - I 'vill crush dem all unders my shiny black boots. So yeah they will all be foes.

@ Willowbrook - you will not need to worry about irrigating the tile inbetween the river and the Game as the city will transfer the irragation to the game even if you do not move the settler.

Oops - thanks, Redbad and Misfit.

I'm thinking a settler move may still be in order to maximize the chance of having productive squares (rather than jungle) being uncovered in the fog for the capital city.

I'm with you on this one, Redbad.

I want that +4 food asap so I'll be moving the worker N, hoping to see some bgs under the fog. Move the settler (NW?) if beneficial but get out a couple of warriors and then a barracks or granary depending upon what's in the neighbourhood. If I can't see any bgs after the move, I'll probably head NW as I want two or three for my capital if they are around so that I can pump out archers at a decent rate.

Get around five productive cities and find a willing victim for my archers. I'm hoping that the Russians will be nearby. They can usually be goaded into declaring war first so we even get the war fever as a bonus.

I'm hoping to bounce back after my poor showing as the Sumerians so I can't wait for this game to start.

Nice start(hoping bg after worker move west)...The capital should become at least 6turn settler|warrior factory in the beggining...Or not?11 rivals...wow..Well, early archer rush should help a bit...

This looks like a bad site for an early archer rush to me, as there are almost no shield rich tiles. I think I will move my worker onto the game. If that doesn't reveal anything then I don't know what to do. I'll probably move the settler north-west, but if that is wrong it will potentially be a ruined game at 4000bc. At least there is a fairly quick way to 5spt (city square and 2 forests), but at the cost of growth.

Agree with most everyone... worker to game, then settle in place or NW if something yummy (or just plain better!) appears. As for it being packed... well survivors of COTM07 should be able to handle it, surely?

Neil. :cool:

I have applied my fog gazing skills to this screen shot. I have determined that there is a 99.9% chance of their being game in the forest. This is also a small chance (1%) of their being something in the jungle to S-SW (probably just a graphic shadow.)

Note that my fog gazing skills consist of a magnifier and patern recognition.

I may move the settler 2 or even 3 tiles if the worker shows anything decent. If not then I may settle in place and place and plan for an early Palace jump. I've never even jumped my palace one yet, so that will be new to me. An early Archer rush will also be new to me...

Errmm.. yeah. :p

I like game on forest starts. Normally chop the forest to rush a granary and off you go.
Need a BG from somewhere though otherwise the capital will end up as a worker pump for a few thousand years.

If the start is really as shield poor as it looks, maybe instead I can build a warrior and then rush an archer with the forest chop and then get a settler out around turn 20 by sacrificing a few turns at +1food and getting the food back with the bare game later. Then I can maybe look around for a settler pair to whack. Dunno.

Since it is a pangea with "enough" land I might just build the pyramids within the QSC period. Would make a change for me.

Top Bottom