Enceladus has an Atmosphere -- NASA

Babbler

Deity
Cassini Finds an Atmosphere on Saturn's Moon Enceladus 03.16.05

The Cassini spacecraft's two close flybys of Saturn's icy moon Enceladus have revealed that the moon has a significant atmosphere. Scientists, using Cassini's magnetometer instrument for their studies, say the source may be volcanism, geysers, or gases escaping from the surface or the interior.

When Cassini had its first encounter with Enceladus on Feb. 17 at an altitude of 1,167 kilometers (725 miles), the magnetometer instrument saw a striking signature in the magnetic field. On March 9, Cassini approached to within 500 kilometers (310 miles) of Enceladus' surface and obtained additional evidence.

The observations showed a bending of the magnetic field, with the magnetospheric plasma being slowed and deflected by the moon. In addition, magnetic field oscillations were observed. These are caused when electrically charged (or ionized) molecules interact with the magnetic field by spiraling around the field line. This interaction creates characteristic oscillations in the magnetic field at frequencies that can be used to identify the molecule. The observations from the Enceladus flybys are believed to be due to ionized water vapor.

"These new results from Cassini may be the first evidence of gases originating either from the surface or possibly from the interior of Enceladus," said Dr. Michele Dougherty, principal investigator for the Cassini magnetometer and professor at Imperial College in London. In 1981, NASA's Voyager spacecraft flew by Enceladus at a distance of 90,000 kilometers (56,000 miles) without detecting an atmosphere. It's possible detection was beyond Voyager's capabilities, or something may have changed since that flyby.

This is the first time since Cassini arrived in orbit around Saturn last summer that an atmosphere has been detected around a moon of Saturn, other than its largest moon, Titan. Enceladus is a relatively small moon. The amount of gravity it exerts is not enough to hold an atmosphere very long. Therefore, at Enceladus, a strong continuous source is required to maintain the atmosphere.

The need for such a strong source leads scientists to consider eruptions, such as volcanoes and geysers. If such eruptions are present, Enceladus would join two other such active moons, Io at Jupiter and Triton at Neptune. "Enceladus could be Saturn's more benign counterpart to Jupiter's dramatic Io," said Dr. Fritz Neubauer, co-investigator for the Cassini magnetometer, and a professor at the University of Cologne in Germany.

Since the Voyager flyby, scientists have suspected that this moon is geologically active and is the source of Saturn's icy E ring. Enceladus is the most reflective object in the solar system, reflecting about 90 percent of the sunlight that hits it. If Enceladus does have ice volcanoes, the high reflectivity of the moon's surface might result from continuous deposition of icy particles originating from the volcanoes.

Enceladus' diameter is about 500 kilometers (310 miles), which would fit in the state of Arizona. Yet despite its small size, Enceladus exhibits one of the most interesting surfaces of all the icy satellites.

Full story

During its very close flyby on March 9, 2005, the Cassini spacecraft captured this false-color view of Saturn's moon Enceladus, which shows the wide variety of this icy moon's geology.

Some geological regions on Enceladus are old and retain large numbers of impact craters; younger areas exhibit many generations of tectonic troughs and ridges. Subtle differences in color may indicate different ice properties, such as grain sizes, that will help unravel the sequence of geologic events leading to the current strange landscape.

This false-color view is a composite of individual frames obtained using filters sensitive to green (centered at 568 nanometers) and infrared light (two infrared filters, centered at 752 and 930 nanometers respectively). The view has been processed to accentuate subtle color differences. The atmosphere of Saturn forms the background of this scene (its color has been rendered grey to allow the moon to stand out).

The Sun illuminates Enceladus from the left, leaving part of it in shadow and blocking out part of the view of Saturn. This view shows the anti-Saturn hemisphere, centered nearly on the equator.

The images comprising this view were taken with the Cassini spacecraft narrow-angle camera at a distance of approximately 94,000 kilometers (58,000 miles) from Enceladus and at a Sun-Enceladus-spacecraft, or phase, angle of 48 degrees. Resolution in the image is about 560 meters (1,800 feet) per pixel.

The Cassini-Huygens mission is a cooperative project of NASA, the European Space Agency and the Italian Space Agency. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the mission for NASA's Science Mission Directorate, Washington, D.C. The Cassini orbiter and its two onboard cameras were designed, developed and assembled at JPL. The imaging team is based at the Space Science Institute, Boulder, Colo.

For more information about the Cassini-Huygens mission visit http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov . For additional images visit the Cassini imaging team homepage http://ciclops.org .

Credit: NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute

Any information on how thick the atmosphere is, and of what type of gas?

Elrohir said:
Any information on how thick the atmosphere is, and of what type of gas?

Water vapor, apparently.

The observations showed a bending of the magnetic field, with the magnetospheric plasma being slowed and deflected by the moon. In addition, magnetic field oscillations were observed. These are caused when electrically charged (or ionized) molecules interact with the magnetic field by spiraling around the field line. This interaction creates characteristic oscillations in the magnetic field at frequencies that can be used to identify the molecule. The observations from the Enceladus flybys are believed to be due to ionized water vapor.

Not too thick of an atmosphere I guess.

Enceladus is a relatively small moon. The amount of gravity it exerts is not enough to hold an atmosphere very long. Therefore, at Enceladus, a strong continuous source is required to maintain the atmosphere.

"In 1981, NASA's Voyager spacecraft flew by Enceladus at a distance of 90,000 kilometers (56,000 miles) without detecting an atmosphere. It's possible detection was beyond Voyager's capabilities, or something may have changed since that flyby."

Nasa is embracing catastrophism?

Man theres water all over the place! Theres more than one home for life in our own solar system, imagine how much life is out there in other solar systems waiting for us to get our act together and go check it out:goodjob:

@BE: If it's only bacteria-like organisms, I doubt they're waiting for us to check them out!

Maybe in the future we(humans) would go to another planet/moon to live, because the way we destroy/pollute Earth, this planet won't be a friendly place for us for much longer.

King, my point is that if our solar system harbors intelligent life, and numerous worlds with their own bacterial ecosystems, then there must be alot of life out there waiting for us. Some of it intelligent, some of it not.

Bozo Erectus said:
King, my point is that if our solar system harbors intelligent life, and numerous worlds with their own bacterial ecosystems, then there must be alot of life out there waiting for us. Some of it intelligent, some of it not.

Where in this scenario would you place the Klingons?

And concerning bacterial ecosystems I guess they should stay where they are. We're still busy enough with Staphylococcus aureus and its comrades.

Raser, Im looking forward to meeting the Kzin more than I am the Klingons. Klingons are just pissed off humans with cheesegrator browridges.

Those basterial ecosystems on other planets are in much greater danger of being harmed through contamination than we are.

Bozo Erectus said:
Raser, Im looking forward to meeting the Kzin more than I am the Klingons. Klingons are just pissed off humans with cheesegrator browridges.

Good point ;)

Bozo Erectus said:
Those basterial ecosystems on other planets are in much greater danger of being harmed through contamination than we are.
quod erat demonstrandum.
Never seen this evil greenish slightly glowing flubber which enzymatically sets free the bones from a mamal in a 10th of a second?

FearlessLeader2 said:
"In 1981, NASA's Voyager spacecraft flew by Enceladus at a distance of 90,000 kilometers (56,000 miles) without detecting an atmosphere. It's possible detection was beyond Voyager's capabilities, or something may have changed since that flyby."

Nasa is embracing catastrophism?
All of science is embracing the power of Catastrophe! Of course it's not your silly religionist concept of catastrophism! Also, this is likely not of (recent) catastrophic cause. Remember, it could be that it was too small beforehand to be deteced.

Bozo Erectus said:
Man theres water all over the place! Theres more than one home for life in our own solar system, imagine how much life is out there in other solar systems waiting for us to get our act together and go check it out:goodjob:
I can imagine. Zero.

Quasar1011 said:
I can imagine. Zero.

This seems to be right at least for our planet.

Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life out o'here... :lol:

Quasar1011 said:
I can imagine. Zero.
Zilch? Nada? Zip? The entire universe, nothing? Do you have anything besides bible passages to back that up?

Bozo Erectus said:
Zilch? Nada? Zip? The entire universe, nothing? Do you have anything besides bible passages to back that up?

Well, I think it is possible and I don't need and bible passages to justify such a poision. There is no empirical evidence for extraterrestrial life; there is only some theoritical hunchs, abeit very strong hunchs.

Babbler, the evidence is our own solar system. Does it seem logical to you that in a universe filled with trillions of trillions of solar systems, that ours would be the only one with life?

Bozo Erectus said:
Yes. Mathematics. I don't have enough space to type out all the zeroes it would take to illustrate this! Back in the 1960s, Carl Sagan proposed that there were billions and billions of planets that could support life in the universe, if only 2 parameters were in balance. Doing the math for just 2 parameters did yield such numbers. However, today's astronomers realize that there are many more criteria which must be met for a planet to be able to sustain life. I believe the list of criteria is now approaching 40. If you calculate the number of likely planets in the universe, it is STILL much less
in comparison to the odds that there is other intelligent life in the universe.

I have posted this information before. I am out of town now, but can go into more detail when I return, if you like. :)

Bozo Erectus said:
Babbler, the evidence is our own solar system. Does it seem logical to you that in a universe filled with trillions of trillions of solar systems, that ours would be the only one with life?
Seems logical to me.

By the way, there really aren't trillions of Solar systems. There is only one. There are certainly billions of planetary systems, but only our star is named Sol, giving rise to the Solar system. A planet in orbit around Antares would be part of the Antarean system, for example.

Okay Quasar, Im sure it would be very interesting, although to be honest, if its in math, it might as well be Sanskrit to me. Last I heard though, all you really need for life is a heat source and water.

Quasar1011 said:
Seems logical to me.

By the way, there really aren't trillions of Solar systems. There is only one. There are certainly billions of planetary systems, but only our star is named Sol, giving rise to the Solar system. A planet in orbit around Antares would be part of the Antarean system, for example.
Oh come on but thats just semantics. You know what I mean, call them 'star systems' instead. Antarres is a star right?

Bozo Erectus said:
Okay Quasar, Im sure it would be very interesting, although to be honest, if its in math, it might as well be Sanskrit to me. Last I heard though, all you really need for life is a heat source and water.
Well I am talking about things like: the planetary orbit must not exceed 5 degrees from the equatorial plane of its parent star; otherwise, it would be bathed in too much cosmic radiation.

Even using your own terms, Venus and Mars should support life. Evidently, the water on Venus boiled away early in its history. What happened to most of the water on Mars is still a mystery. Yet, it does have a heat source.

And you're right, it is semantics about the phrase "solar system". But it was one of my astronomy professor's pet peeves, so I remember it.

Top Bottom