Colonize 2 Brainstorm/Preview Thread

GRM7584

King
Colonize 2 is what I'm set on finishing for the moment..
Colonize 2 being a science fiction extrasolar colonization (go figure) mod, starting in 2208. It borrows heavily from normal sci-fi conventions, and honestly the backstory exists simply to support the 'current' state of affairs.
To sum up: 6 planet types, 24 factions, 8 government types (with 4 military types), lots of organization.
It has obvious similarities to SMAC, Pentagenesis, etc. etc., but I've tried to create something in between plausibility and absurdity in terms of atmosphere; Here's the shortened short history...
...U.N. overplays its hand, nearly dissolves. Humanity begins colonization of Solar System. Unidentified objects observed in solar rim. U.N. dissolved, United Earth created as Multinational Defense Initiative after destruction of solar rim observation posts. Primitive Earth Fleet dispatched to deal with objects. "Great Battle" takes place near Jupiter, obscured from view of all operational observation posts. Fleet returns on autopilot without crew, Artificial Objects not observed again; United Earth claims victory, their scientists claim that an "Alien Death Ray" must have been used which dissolved all organic material on-board.
...United Earth begins 'selling' territory in Solar System to major corporations. Several mercantile organizations claim territory, as well. United Earth gradually becomes more oppressive on both Corporations and Individuals. Mars terraforming begun. Multiple Self-Reliant Space Stations constructed. Italian Corporation "Basilica INC." purportedly creates low-orbit Marius Station on (in) Jupiter. Corporate Wars begin. Basilica INC becomes NeoRoma movement, claims territory on Earth and independence from United Earth; claims that Marius Station found "Supposed Alien Warships" (also claimed to actually be United Earth dummy vessels) in crushed, liquified remnants deep under the shroud of Jupiter. Copycat and splinter movements begin across Solar System. Fundamentalist group "Assembly of the Faithful" announces its existence, with membership comprising 1.2 billion people, successfully executes a battle plan 100 years in the making to seize control of Earth and expel all factions. Following successful seizure of Earth, Assembly 'peacefully' splinters into 3 groups. Decades of uneasy peace follow.
...Council of Major Factions called, Massive Multi-Faction Space Station "Odin's Ring" constructed in Far Jupiter Orbit. Interplanetary Foldspace Drive discovered; immense drive installed at great expense in Odin's Ring; tiny probes launched to thousands of adjacent star systems, information on habitable planets returned. Factions agree to contract wherein each faction sends out a predetermined number of colony vessels, one each to whichever planets they wish, launched a 'speed' so that every ship assigned to a given planet will reach that planet at the same time. Many colony ships launched. Incident at Odin's Ring escalates rapidly; unidentified party introduces antimatter into Foldspace Drive's Power Core. Odin's Ring completely annihilated. Chaos erupts, factions declare total war on each other, Solar System reduced to rubble, factions continue to squabble over remnants. In 2208, first group of colony ships arrives at nearest planet, and immediately receives subspace communique from home system: all rules are off. New Priorities: Found colony, establish subspace contact with home system, subdue local enemy factions, send help.

The game begins with landing on one of 6 Planet Types:
Terran, Ocean, Jungle, Desert, Tundra, Volcanic
Each of which have unique ramifications for population growth, terraforming, power generation, and technology. This may sound like it would make the mod too epic to accomplish, but because the effects of different planets are achieved with minor modifications and terrain sets, and almost all of the graphics and 'trees' are shared, its not as bad as it sounds.

The '24' factions are the result of equalization:
I divided the 8 civ traits into 4 groups of 'opposing' traits, which are:
Authoritarian <-> Free Society (Militaristic <-> Religious)
Capitalist <-> Mercantilist (Commercial <-> Seafaring)
Plutocratic <-> Populist (Industrious <-> Agricultural)
Rationalist <-> Empiricist (Scientific <-> Expansionist)

Thus, any given faction has two traits, and each trait only has 6 possible 'second traits'. In accordance with this, all but 4 possible civ trait combinations are used.

Each Faction is also part of one of 8 different Government Types, with each Government Type conveying a unique set of buildings and advantages, including 1 of 4 Military Types.
The Government Types:
-A.I.- Government by an Artificial Sentience, Cybernetic Army
-Corporate- Government by a MegaCorporation, Mercenary Army
-Fascist- Government by an Extremist Organization, Genetic Army
-Nationalist- Government by an Imperial Nation, Volunteer Army
-Dogmatic- Government by a Ruling Philosophy, Cybernetic Army
-City-State- Government by a Collaboration of Nations, Mercenary Army
-Communist- Government by an Elitist Party, Genetic Army
-Conservative- Government by an Isolationist Republic, Volunteer Army

The Factions, in order of historical founding:
(if some of them sound silly, its because...drumroll...I made them that way.)
Ethiopia - Rationalist, Mercantilist, Dogmatic
Great Britain - Empiricist, Mercantilist, Nationalist
United Arab Emirates - Mercantilist, Free Society, City-State
Assembly of the Shield - Rationalist, Free Society, Dogmatic
Yamato Conglomerate - Capitalist, Empiricist, Corporate
United Earth - Authoritarian, Empiricist, Communist
Behlt Mining Corporation - Mercantilist, Plutocratic, Corporate
The Populist States - Empiricist, Populist, Communist
Free Power Corporation - Plutocratic, Empiricist, Corporate
Union of Solar Soviet Republics - Authoritarian, Populist
New Kievan Empire - Free Society, Plutocratic, Nationalist
Council of Japan - Free Society, Capitalist, Conservative
Nicentient Industries - Rationalist, Capitalist, AI
League of Merchant Triarchs - Mercantilist, Plutocratic, City-State
Lunar Islamic Republic - Authoritarian, Mercantilist, Fascist
Martian Superiority Movement - Authoritarian, Plutocratic, Fascist
NeoRoma - Authoritarian, Capitalist, Conservative
The Confederate States - Capitalist, Populist, Nationalist
Solar Rim Colony-States - Mercantilist, Populist, City-State
Bull Moose Republic - Populist, Rationalist, Conservative
Order of St. John - Free Society, Populist, Dogmatic
Teutonic Knights - Authoritarian, Rationalist, Fascist
Neptune Manifest Entity - Rationalist, Plutocratic, AI
Temple of Astarte - Free Society, Empiricist, AI

What I most need right now:
Terrain Graphics. This is probably the most daunting task; fortunately, there are existing graphics to work off of, or take and recolor. That is my current plan for everything but Ocean-type graphics, which will almost certainly require more than recoloring to achieve the correct effect. If anyone wants to offer their help, it would be more than welcome.
Ideas. More Ideas. I already have this thing packed with ideas, but any additional concepts would be great. Keep in mind: new ideas. Not changes you want made to things I've posted. Stuff I already posted is officially canon, and I'm not changing it.

What I don't really need particularly:
Leaderhead and Unit Graphics. To minimize size, I'm currently planning on just using appropriate Firaxis Modern Era LH graphics for all 4 eras. Unit graphics are already on the forum in abundance; however, it would be good to hear recommendations for existing unit graphics to use. I'll post a list of my planned unit use shortly.

What I've already done:
A ton of Civilopedia work, several 'tabs' of CivEdit are already completely fleshed out, I have a hefty collection of Unit Graphics set up for common access.

This thing kind of got buried before it even had a chance...Considering the number of people who expressed interest in it previously, I'm surprised that there's absolutely no reaction to it now...

Probably other sci-fi fans have died here some time ago :D But i'll play your scenario/mod when it's done, it sounds interesting :)

But there's one thing i'd like to know - will there be allready a map with all factions set up ? :mischief:

Not at first, probably. I'm fleshing it out as a purely random map mod first, then I'll consider doing scenario versions...but with 6 possible planets, its not like there can be an 'official' planet map like in SMAC...

Like I said, some of the ideas are downright silly...but thats part of the idea. I happen to like having utterly ridiculous things portrayed in a serious atmosphere. Its like double the funny!
And, no, they haven't brought him back from the dead, but supposed relics from his life are a frequent feature in their culture centers... :D
Its still far from done, and I'm slowing down a bit from personal disinterest, but I'm sure I'll get back in the flow of things eventually. There's a lot of crossover potential with graphics for the Mars mod in the works (I've already done some techs to be used in both) so that is a reasonable impetus. I don't plan on attempting to commission any new units or LHs for the mod, like I said, because that will just delay it, but anyone who wants to help with static graphics (and potentially help the Mars mod in the process) is welcome to do so...for instance, I don't know if there is a good 'generic' scifi interface, and I can think of three mods offhand that could use one. Could definitely use a terrain person, as well, because of the work required on the different planet types (particularly Desert and Ocean, which can't be done effectively with simple recoloring and cut/pasting)

:scan: GreaT idea, i got some storming in my brain :crazyeye: hold on :scan:

Moontype terrain set may be added (Moon/asteroids/Saturn circle)
What is Assembly of Sheild?

Wanted to propose you The Orthodox Union (some iudaic (jew religion) fanatics relligious group) must Be Free Society, Rationatilist, Conservative

I dont sure (i am really bit buzzy man) but hold on for terrain sketches .

Actually, everything is happening on a different planet, not in Sol, although if I had the time or interest, I think it would definitely be fun to do a Solar-System scenario with the same factions but different everything else. There will be six different (purely random map) .biqs for each type of new planet. I'm mainly concerned with getting everything set up for the Terran mod, from which I can export a vast majority of rules to the other 5 planet mods, which only need planet-specific graphics.

For having a purely Judaic civ: I considered it, but in this fiction Israel was 'on-board' with a late-period Ethiopian attempt at a Generation Ship which didn't succeed; since Israel would have been the best hope/base for a powerful faction (aside from a megacorporation), there aren't any purely Jewish civs. Its assumed the remaining Jews are spread amongst other (relatively) friendly factions, such as the Order of St. John.

Assembly of the Shield is one of three Splinter Factions from the Assembly of the Faithful, the fundamentalist organization that seized control of Earth, the other two being the two "knightly" orders, St. John and Teutonic.

Idea about leaderheads:
NOt to make new leaders (cuz it loooot and looot of work to make nice one - only man here who know to do them is embryodead&co. really) and not to get civ existing one but to do 3d or even grafic illustration of leaders or faction "utopic" environment , then put coloured logo on this illustration and annimation of gracious - furious scale would me presented by bar (like in Alpha Centauri) from bright blue to dark red.
Your oppinion.

The first version will only use modern era firaxis heads to conserve space and time. I wouldn't mind doing static symbols eventually.

Ima make a couple unit lists, for my own reference and in case anyone wants to recommend/make units for this mod. This post will cover common units to all civs, as well as some planet-specific units.

Common Units
Pioneer (settler type) - Pentagenesis Constructor
Laborer (worker type) - Smoking Mirror's Constructor
Leader -
Army -
Combat Engineer (Plants Explosives, Stealth Attack vs. Turrets) -
--Basic Conscripted Infantry--
Conscript -
Militia -
Infantry -
Minuteman -
--Exploration Units--
Rover - Smoking Mirror's Rover(s)
Skimmer (Sea) -
Air Drone -
--Sea Units, Surface--
Cruiser -
Battlecruiser -
Railcruiser - Neomega's Rail Ship
--Sea Units, Sub--
Barracuda-
Shark -
--Sea Units, Carrier--
Carrier -
Super Carrier - Neomega's War Carrier
--Stationary Defense--
Perimeter Gun -
Defense Cannon -
Rampart Turret -
--Artillery--
Culverin -
Siege Cannon -
Singularity Cannon -
Ocean Planet Units
--Sea Units, "Surface"--
Barracuda -
Shark -
Leviathan -
--Sea Units, "Sub"--
Sea Snake -
Sea Serpent -
--Misc. Units.--
Sub Drone (replaces Air Drone and Skimmer) -
--Ocean "Land" Units--
--The following units are also used as "Sea" units on the Desert-type Planet--
Tank (except for this one) -
Crawler -
Mobile Weapons Platform -
Sandship -

Cybernetic-Type Unit Lines
--Infantry--
Cyborg -
Bion -
Scion -
--Vehicle--
Heavy Suit -
Walker -
IntegBiped -
OptiBiped -
--Bomber/Airtrans--
VTOL -
Airship -
Coreship -
--Fighter/Recon--
Thunderbird -
Avenger -
Seraphim -
--UU's for Cybernetic armies will go here--

Mercenary-Type Unit Lines
--Infantry--
Ruffian -
Freelancer -
Wardog -
Landsknecht -
--Vehicle--
Landrover -
Raider -
Quad -
Landship -
--Bomber/Airtrans--
Glider -
Stealth Bomber -
Cloak Bomber -
--Fighter/Recon--
Airfoil -
Airwolf -
Predator -
--UU's for Mercenary armies will go here--

Clone-Type Unit Lines
--Infantry--
Doppelganger -
GenMod -
Mutant -
Abomination -
--Vehicle--
APC -
Organic APC -
Organic IFV -
Behemoth -
--Bomber/Airtrans--
Clone Bomber -
Organic Bomber -
Plague Bomber -
--Fighter/Recon--
Rocket Squad -
WinGELF -
Terror -
--UU's for Clone Armies will go here--
Volunteer-Type Unit Lines
--Infantry--
Grunt -
Soldier -
Loyalist -
Patriot -
--Vehicle--
Armor -
Main Battle Tank -
Hovertank -
Gravtank -
--Bomber/Airtrans--
Copter -
Gunship -
Hovership -
--Fighter/Recon--
Seeker -
Hunter -
Guardian -
--UU's for Volunteer Armies will go here--

I just noticed this thread (the title made me think it was an historical mod about the 16th to 18th century, like the other mod called colonize :) )
Anyway I would be very interested in this mod. I am looking forward to Mars, and WH40K so I'm sure I'll like this. I like your idea of the different planet types. What are your ideas about victory conditions?

Just some quick thoughts ...

1. How big are the planets going to be ... city radius sized or larger ...

2. Will there be Barbs ?
> If so planet based will be indiginous fauna/flora ?
> Space (sea base) will be meteors/inanimate or life form (infection) ?

3. What about Goody Huts ? ... Icon = crashed ship ?
> City - Abandoned Science Base or Escape/Crash Pod
> Angry Barbs - Hostile Aliens or Defence Robot Drones
> Cash - Riches/Spare Parts
> Map - Computer data from planetary scan
> Settler - Auto base constructor drone
> Military Unit - Crashed Military Scout craft
> Tech - Computer Data Base

All victory conditions will be available, albeit ever so slightly altered.

Conquest/Domination: By securing the colony planet in the name of the home faction, the faction colonists ensure that they will become at the very least a vital planet to their faction, and potentially become the factional capital.
Space Race: Still a Space Race, although this time it begins with the construction of a new Foldspace Drive Station in orbit around the colony planet; the Spaceship Parts become components of an immense battleship/carrier, meant to be sent back to Sol to ensure the home faction's victory there.
Diplomatic: If the consent of the other colonial factions is achieved, the colonists can pave the way towards full planetary independence from Sol by establishing their colonial faction as the most potent peacekeepers; this is accomplished through the creation of a Colonial Cooperative organization which becomes an option once colonization of the rest of the colony's star system is possible.
Culture Victory: Demonstrating an overwhelming factional superiority through subtle methods (such as propaganda and aggressive cultural evangelism) allows a civ to seize control of the planet without bloodshed.

Edit:Just some quick thoughts ...

1. How big are the planets going to be ... city radius sized or larger ...

A: Just one planet. No planets. One planet. Not even a star system, although colonists will be able to create orbital stations and I'll include star system exploration in the way of 'wonders'. Still, normal, random civ map. What there will be is 6 different types of colonizable planets.

2. Will there be Barbs ?
> If so planet based will be indiginous fauna/flora ?
> Space (sea base) will be meteors/inanimate or life form (infection) ?

A: Yes. Barbs will be the dominant lifeform, different for each planet, and later, a mutated variant (which begins to appear after certain technology is acquired)

3. What about Goody Huts ? ... Icon = crashed ship ?
> City - Abandoned Science Base or Escape/Crash Pod
> Angry Barbs - Hostile Aliens or Defence Robot Drones
> Cash - Riches/Spare Parts
> Map - Computer data from planetary scan
> Settler - Auto base constructor drone
> Military Unit - Crashed Military Scout craft
> Tech - Computer Data Base

A: Goody huts...yes. Not like that, though. Goody huts will be spots of interest, representing various Biological, Geological, and Physical phenomena sites. Default Money Resource will be a 'research site', most of the individual effects would vary slightly by planet type.

I love the idea of a SMAC type game. Is this solely in the planning stage or is it nearly playable for testing? I'd be more than willing to put it through it's paces no matter how many warts it might have.

Top Bottom