New Unit: Qin Soldier (May 19, 2005)

utahjazz7

Deity
Here's a unit based on the movie "Hero." It was a special request. I hope that some of the other people requesting east asian units will find a use for it as well. I just took my Spanish Pike unit and changed the clothing and props.

Also, because I'm away from home, I've had to create the pediaIcons a different way than normal. They should still work, but I'd appreciate it if someone could report back to me about that. :)

Download.

Looks great, nice job!

I've wanted a guy like this for ages. What would eb really cool would be al lthoes cool siege archers from the Attack on the Calligraphy School scene. Like, the big Siege cross bows and the guys who lay on their backs... tha'd be cool.

That's beautiful, utah! :thumbsup:
The pedia icons work as is, but I prefer if the small icon is anti aliased, so I took the liberty to make one like that. :)

Attachments

• QinSoldierSmallAlt.pcx
    1.6 KB · Views: 240
Yeah, this unit captures the pikemen from Hero perfectly. I loved that movie, BTW.

This is great stuff! Now I have a suitable Pikeman unit for my "Art of War" mod. :)

Actually historicly this unit is an anciant unit, and should replace the spearman.

It is really great btw! :goodjob:

Yes! A much needed and superbly done unit. Thank you immensely.

Heheh.. I was just saying the other day how I could use one of these! How'd you know?!
Outstanding job, utah. I love the props: I never knew you could do a tassle.
Thanks a million.

Outside of Asian scenarios and mods, historically and artistically speaking, this unit is preferable to the current Chinese UU, the ambiguous "Rider!". Aside from looking cool in the movie "Hero" (and being totally useless sword-fodder for said hero), these spearmen from the Warring States period of China comprised the backbone of Qin's army. Qin was one of the seven states vying for control of ancient China, which grew to considerable power during the 3rd century BC. Under Qin Ying Zheng, a one million man fighting-force was raised, the size of which would not be seen by the western world for two-thousand years. More than just poorly-armed rabble, the army was equipped with cast iron weaponry and was highly disciplined. Through superior numbers, arms, strategy and discipline, Qin's troops were able to take control of all other seven states and most of what is modern day China. It is thousands of terracotta replicas of these soldiers that accompanied Emperor Qin in his tomb.

Bungus- You are right. I would make it replace spearman, with 1.2.1 +2hp and cost 5 shields more. That would be a killer!

Bungus said:
... the army was equipped with cast iron weaponry ....
Cast iron? :eek: That sounds quite stupid.

Personally I use the Chu ko nu as the chinese UU, leaving the 4.3.3 stats to be used by the mongols. :)

Top Bottom