New Unit: Highwind Airship from FF VII (14JUN05)

DJ Bonebraker

a.k.a Laura
Well, I've got 'er done: one of the most bad-donkey airships in the whole Final Fantasy series, the famous Highwind. This unit finishes out the AVALANCHE UU lineup for the Final Fantasy mod. I've recycled some of the sounds from my advanced airship unit, so if you're using both units in a mod, you can just link the sounds from the ADAS folder to save some HD space. I've also included all the standard required PCX files as well.

Anyways, here's the files:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/Highwind.zip

Animated Preview, Fidget-Run-Default/fortify-AttackA-AttackB-AttackC-Victory-Death:

And finally, the Extra-large civilopedia preview:

Attachments

• HighwindLarge.jpg
    HighwindLarge.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,322
Wonderful Airship :D

Glad you guys like it.

Tim: I've designed all my airships as land units that have two movement and treat all terrain as roads, since, IMNSHO, Air units in CivIII are generally useless. Airfields will still be useful, however, since I've given the airships the recon and rebase abilities (so that they can move accross oceans to any city or airfield), and the only things that airports do now is allow airlifting of units and air trade, so they stay as well (but arrive in the middle ages with the tech that allows for the first airships).

Reno, to answer your question, here's my civilopedia entry on this unit:

The Highwind airship was designed for the Shinra corporation by its ace airship pilot, Cid Highwind. After Cid's dreams of space travel were repeatedly crushed by Shinra, he joined the AVALANCHE resistance group. Shortly after joining, Cid was able to convince the airship's crew to mutiny against Heidegarr, their current abusive commanding officer. With the aid of the airship, AVALANCHE was able to defeat Diamond Weapon, saving Midgar from certain destruction, as well as defeat Shinra for good and put an end to Sephiroth's evil plot.

This should've been one of the very first units done on this forum, such an awesome Airship, I haven't seen a design I liked better yet (and I'm not thinking I will) for an airship.

Very nice work, that attack looks particularily painful (though I might have said that in the preview thread).

:goodjob:

I love it! I'm definitely including this in my mod, as a sort of helicopter-battlecruiser for Air Innovators.

Orthanc, I'm with you. Of course, it probably took this long before all the unit creators had developed the skills to do the amazing work they are doing. I would definitely consider 2005 to be the Golden Age for anyone making sci-fi or fantasy mods. It is amazing what is coming out in the final 11 months before CivIV's release! Which makes you wonder it maybe it won't be until 2008/9 that we'll have a golden age of CivIV modding.

It makes me want all the more to finish the stuff I'm working on, before December!

Orthanc said:
This should've been one of the very first units done on this forum, such an awesome Airship, I haven't seen a design I liked better yet (and I'm not thinking I will) for an airship.

Very nice work, that attack looks particularily painful (though I might have said that in the preview thread).

:goodjob:

Thanks, really. You're right that it should have been done much sooner, but I didn't find out about this place until late Feb. 2004 (I lurked for a couple weeks before registering), and I didn't know enough to start making units until sometime in July of last year (and I'm sure that many will agree that the models, as well as the finished products were a bit... unrefined), and only now has my skills with Bryce gotten to the point where I felt confident of doing something this complex (the Victorian Land Battleship was a major milestone/confidince builder in that regard). I see your own model of the Jet-propelled version is coming along nicely.

Camber: I aint giving up on Civ III yet, especially with all the nagging things I don't like about Civ IV. Even if everyone abandons Civ III, then I'm sure that enough people will jump to Steph's Strategical Simulation for me to continue work along these lines.

Top Bottom