email notification floods

ironduck

Deity
I was wondering if this is a known issue or just happens to me..

Sometimes I get a load of email notifications to a thread - all consisting of the same post. And I regularly get notifications to threads even though I haven't visited them in between (I thought the idea was only to send one notification, and then not anymore until you view the thread again).

I suppose the latter could be something with my browser (but cookies are set to standard, using mozilla 1.7x), but the former seems peculiar.

Not a big deal, just wondering if there's any obvious solution other than unsubscribing?

ironduck said:
Sometimes I get a load of email notifications to a thread - all consisting of the same post. And I regularly get notifications to threads even though I haven't visited them in between (I thought the idea was only to send one notification, and then not anymore until you view the thread again).

Nope, it's every visit to the forums. And while you're online, you'll get one for each new post that you get.

Of course, you could go to your UserCP and turn off email notifications. I think that'll only change for the new posts, tho.

I have all mine go into a folder, and empty the folder as necessary.

But what about when I get a load containing the same post? Like, I'll get 5-6 notifications in one lump all linking to the same post with no new posts.. just wondering if it's a known issue.

That, I don't know about.

I've had it happen where I get two of the same post, but that was before the upgrade to vB 3.5, and it has been a while since then.

Ok, it's easy enough to sort through since they all have titles, just thought it was a bit strange.. :)

I just want to add that i get multiple email notifications referencing the same post as well. It's not all the time and the number of emails may be from one to 4 so far.

Amusingly I just got 3 notifications for this one. It seems completely random..

Because often people would reply to me and I wouldn't remember to check the thread :)

That's not the issue. The issue is some of us get a flood of identical emails all containing the same notification. I just got 4 emails for the post you made above. I don't need four, one would suffice :)

I seem to have the same problem I keep getting 2, 3, or 4 duplicate emails
the first time it happened was monday morning GMT

I just got 3 notifications to ironducks message.

I can see no reason why someone would start 126 threads but then, that's just me.

I'm subscribed to many hundreds of threads, most of which are no longer active. The few that are, i like being informed about new posts but something is wrong with the email notification system and it is sending out multiple emails. It's just one more thing slowing down the forums other than record users.

Top Bottom