High Scores Seem Possibly Easier Than Past Civ Games

What level did you play? Mapsize? What year did you win?

Maybe milking won't be the best scoring way anymore.

Anyway, the rankings seem far too low. If you got Augustus with a Chieftain game, what will happen on Deity?

30k seems quite a lot. My first game netted me only 3k :blush:.

Own said:
I bet scoring will be more like jason scoring now.
Aeson was in the beta test. Whatever the scoring formula proves to be, it'll have HOF implications.

Pentium said:
Maybe milking won't be the best scoring way anymore.

Anyway, the rankings seem far too low. If you got Augustus with a Chieftain game, what will happen on Deity?

30k seems quite a lot. My first game netted me only 3k :blush:.

I agree the scoring should never allowed me to get the highest ranking on chieftain.

Does anyone know how high the scores could potentially get, I would hope that there is a multiplier and if I had this same victory on diety it would be 6 or 8 times higher.

I played two games so far with quite different scoring results:

1st game: Noble, standard, Germany(Frederick), space ship victory in 1969AD: 9K

2nd game: Noble, tiny, Japan, conquest victory in 1150AD: 49K

There must be a veryhigh bonus for early victories

I think the scoring system is seriously flawed, worse than civ3. The early victory bonus is huge and doesn't change based on victory type. So an early domination or conquest victory is always going to score highest. Also, from my limited testing (I've won 4 games now) it seems the difficulty level doesn't affect the score at all. I scored 25000ish for a 1650ad domination victory on chieftain. But my 1950AD spaceship victory on Prince only got me 8000. Sorry, even if you win in 10AD on Chieftain it shouldn't score higher than any victory on Prince.

Game is great, but it seems they released another flawed scoring system.

I just finished my first game and I think the score was pretty high, so this is for comparison purposes.

Noble
Domination in 1640 AD
Small Map
Gamespeed Normal

46K on Immortal with a 425 BC victory on a tiny map. It seems there is quite a bit of room for milking in Civ 4.

Aeson said:
The score system in the game is mostly geared towards MP play.
What exactly is the IV score system? I haven't seen the factors/formulas posted anywhere yet.

..\Assets\Python\EntryPoints\CvGameInterface.py
Code:
def calculateScore(argsList):
	#CvUtil.pyPrint( "CvGameInterface.calculateScore" )
	return gameUtils().calculateScore(argsList)

..\Assets\Python\CvGameUtils.py
Code:
	def calculateScore(self,argsList):
		ePlayer = argsList[0]
		bFinal = argsList[1]
		bVictory = argsList[2]

iPopulationScore = CvUtil.getScoreComponent(gc.getPlayer(ePlayer).getPopScore(), gc.getGame().getInitPopulation(), gc.getGame().getMaxPopulation(), gc.getDefineINT("SCORE_POPULATION_FACTOR"), True, bFinal, bVictory)
		iLandScore = CvUtil.getScoreComponent(gc.getPlayer(ePlayer).getLandScore(), gc.getGame().getInitLand(), gc.getGame().getMaxLand(), gc.getDefineINT("SCORE_LAND_FACTOR"), True, bFinal, bVictory)
		iTechScore = CvUtil.getScoreComponent(gc.getPlayer(ePlayer).getTechScore(), gc.getGame().getInitTech(), gc.getGame().getMaxTech(), gc.getDefineINT("SCORE_TECH_FACTOR"), True, bFinal, bVictory)
		iWondersScore = CvUtil.getScoreComponent(gc.getPlayer(ePlayer).getWondersScore(), gc.getGame().getInitWonders(), gc.getGame().getMaxWonders(), gc.getDefineINT("SCORE_WONDER_FACTOR"), False, bFinal, bVictory)
		return int(iPopulationScore + iLandScore + iWondersScore + iTechScore)

..\Assets\Python\CvUtil.py
Code:
def getScoreComponent(iRawScore, iInitial, iMax, iFactor, bExponential, bFinal, bVictory):

if gc.getGame().getEstimateEndTurn() == 0:
		return 0

if bFinal and bVictory:
		fTurnRatio = float(gc.getGame().getGameTurn()) / float(gc.getGame().getEstimateEndTurn())
		if bExponential and (iInitial != 0):
			fRatio = iMax / iInitial
			iMax = iInitial * pow(fRatio, fTurnRatio)
		else:
			iMax = iInitial + fTurnRatio * (iMax - iInitial)

iFree = (gc.getDefineINT("SCORE_FREE_PERCENT") * iMax) / 100
	if (iFree + iMax) != 0:
		iScore = (iFactor * (iRawScore + iFree)) / (iFree + iMax)
	else:
		iScore = iFactor

if bVictory:
		iScore = ((100 + gc.getDefineINT("SCORE_VICTORY_PERCENT")) * iScore) / 100

return int(iScore)

All the "gc.function()" stuff is going to have to wait for the SDK to be released to see the inner workings of it.

If I'm reading that right (and it's very possible I'm not) then the factors are population, land, techs, wonders and early win bonus.

The base factors are population, land, techs, and wonders. So Civ4 scoring is twice as diverse as Civ3 scoring, which only counted population and land. (Assuming the SCORE_FACTOR variables are relatively equal. The tech factor was useless in Civ3...)

There is a complicated formula involving finish date and "max score", but all it produces is the denominator of a fraction (iFactor / iMax). The really interesting factor, iFactor, is calculated in gc.getPlayer(ePlayer).getXXXScore().

But if we assume that iFactor has the same finish date bonus, it appears that finishing earlier pays off exponential returns.
Winning in the first half of the game = score^2 (squared)
First third = score^3
First quarter = score^4

DaveMcW said:
The base factors are population, land, techs, and wonders. So Civ4 scoring is twice as diverse as Civ3 scoring, which only counted population and land. (Assuming the SCORE_FACTOR variables are relatively equal. The tech factor was useless in Civ3...)

There is a complicated formula involving finish date and "max score", but all it produces is the denominator of a fraction (iFactor / iMax). The really interesting factor, iFactor, is calculated in gc.getPlayer(ePlayer).getXXXScore().

But if we assume that iFactor has the same finish date bonus, it appears that finishing earlier pays off exponential returns.
Winning in the first half of the game = score^2 (squared)
First third = score^3
First quarter = score^4

That would explain my score, since I finished in the first quarter of the game.

Hopefully, we will know the actual formula soon.

Pentium said:
Am I the only one who finds this somewhat wrong? Or did MP just have that many wonders?
I had a good amount of wonders, but I agree the score seems wrong. Why would a Noble game score as high as Immortal? Map sizes were just 1 size apart: Small vs. Tiny.

Top Bottom