Problems loading GOTM-02 save file

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
If you cannot load the starting save file because of an error, then please read the details below:

Have you got the correct patch version?

This game must be played in patch version 1.52 (save file version 102). If you get a error message that looks like this one:

Then you need to patch your game to version 1.52. To do this, either:

* Start the game, and from the main menu choose "advanced". From the next menu choose "check for updates" to download and install the patch.

OR:

* Download the patch manually from here, then install it.

Is it a problem with modified assets files?

If you get an error message that looks like this:

The it is due to one of two issues:
1.) You have modified the XML or Python files in your install directory \assets\ subfolder.
2.) You are one of a small number of people who have an as-yet unsolved problem with the way the checks for these assets files are handled.

If you have this problem, then please do the following:
1.) If you have changed any of your XML or python files in the install directories (NOT the Custom Assets directories!), then please reinstall the game & the patch. You may not play the GOTM with modifications to the original XML or Python files.

If that doesn't fix it, then:
2.) Visit this thread. There is a small utility there that I would like you to download and run. I am trying to diagnose the assets password problem, and running this utility and posting the results will help. If you have got the .NET 2 framework installed, please use the .NET version. If you have the .Net 1.1 (only) framework installed, please use that one.

3.) After following Step 2. above, please e-mail Alan & myself with the results of the test (If you don't have the .Net framework installed, and that program won't run, just e-mail me anyway). E-mail to gotm@civfanatics.net AND gotm_submit@civfanatics.net mentioning that you can't load the save file, and we'll send you a copy without the password protection.

Does Civ4 not recognise it as a valid save file?

If you get this error, its probably due to internet explorer putting a .TXT subscript on the file name. If this happens, rename it (right-click on the file and choose 'rename'). Delete the .txt bit of the file name. Alternatively, download a zipped version of the starting save file from here.

Sent the email.

Thanks a bunch.

Looks like the GOTM-02 doesn't go with the German Community Translation because of the altered xml's. Actually I wouldn't consider it 'cheating' to use a proper translation. Are these checks really unavoidable? Isn't there a way to distinguish between a translation and a tweak?

/Blue

KindOfBlue said:
Looks like the GOTM-02 doesn't go with the German Community Translation because of the altered xml's. Actually I wouldn't consider it 'cheating' to use a proper translation. Are these checks really unavoidable? Isn't there a way to distinguish between a translation and a tweak?

/Blue
The best option would be to get Kai /coldfever to hound Firaxis to include the translation project into the next patch ;)

E-mail sent.

That stupid 1.1 .net thing was a 23 meg d/l and then when I installed it, it frickin changed my windows startup and user settings! I hate stuff like this. Only to then see upon rereading the first post that I am an idiot and the test results weren't neccessary and I coulda just e-mailed :mad: :blush: :mad:

And now after the countdown of days and whole night free I can't play it and must wait even more. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :cry:

Awesome! I e-mailed: gotm@civfanatics.net

Now to test if I can wear out the refresh button ;)

EDIT: oops. Sent to the alternate address too now. Appreciated.

EDIT2: Legend! I have it, only 20 minutes after encountering a problem too. And on New Years day no less! I see this forum's name is definately appropriate. Thanks Muchly. 10:50pm here and I won't be sleeping till these lakes are teaming with Lizzy.

I could not load the save.:rolleyes:
I reinstalled game and patch (took me half an hour).:mischief:
I still cannot load the save.:(
I tried to run the check-tool and it gave me the attached message. :mad:

Attachments

• grrrr.jpg
    grrrr.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,474
Just in case this gets me the save file any quicker... I've sent an email requesting it without the password protection, it will not run. Thanks! :)

Replies sent.

FYI Emails should get a reasonably quick response while I am online, as my system picks them up every 15 minutes. Posts probably won't help much as I have to refresh the forums manually to see them.

I just have a question I'm trying to reinstall the patch now to fix my problem, but is the modified assests message then supposed to drop you back to the desktop? Seems a bit severe, I mean couldn't one then go and play some other game that isn't password protected instead?

I guess you'd have to ask Firaxis why they did that. Is it a big deal to relaunch Civ4?

AlanH said:
I guess you'd have to ask Firaxis why they did that. Is it a big deal to relaunch Civ4?

It's not too bad, except for having to hold down the shift key during the loading procedure. I've found its just best to hold the shift key so it'll clear the cache.

Xevious said:
This happened to me also (drop to desktop).

This did NOT happen with GOTM1.
I noticed this when the patch (1.52) came out. I wanted to load my old Rome saves, but it wouldn't let me and shuts down Civ.

Top Bottom