P38 Lighting

nautil

Warlord
Here the result of my first attempt in model creation. Atfer some people here, at civ forum started to publish their new models , i got so interested in modeling something by myself that i rushed to autodesk site and downloaded trial version of an amazing software product - 3ds max. So i spent a couple of nights leaning basics of the basics, since the programme is extremly hard to learn in depth and probably impossible to master.I had especially hard time trying to figure out how to export textures as a separate file, till it occured to me that i must first convert original texture, made in photoshop, to DDS, and then point to that file as a diffuse map. Well, i tell u all this just to ask not to be to harsh while judging my model :)
Now about model itself. It 's a replication of the famous WWII plane Lockheed P38 Lightning, on of the most important american fighters of that time. Here link to an aticle about this plane at wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P38 , if some would like to use this model in his mod and need info for civilopedia entry.The model isn't animated yet, since obviously only when SDK comes out we will be able to implement animations. Till then the only way is to try to attach animations of an existing ingame units to the models, but it's quite comlex and success never guaranteed. OK, back to the model itself, it's relatively lopoly - only 1564 , but i may dare to say that it looks quite all right in game and at the same time wont stress most of rigs.
So ,here come screnshot, polycount, the model itself and a button in case someone would like to include it in his mod. If some from the guys who make WWII mods find this model acceptable then i may offer my help in creation of other units.

Attachments

• lightning.jpg
    lightning.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,412
  • polycount.jpg
    polycount.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 705
  • p38button.jpg
    p38button.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 2,802
  • p38Lightning.zip
    56.6 KB · Views: 827
It looks great nautil :goodjob: In fact, if that's what you were able to do couple of days after downloading 3dsmax then I'm eagerly looking forward to your next models.

wait is it possible to make new models now?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Presumptuous remark removed.

vingrjoe you could at least give him the benefit of the doubt. I mean that would be soooooo laaaame for some one to take credit for the model just to impress some people on the internet.
I don't mean to argue with you or anything. Its actually kinda funny either way if theres a model just like it in the tutorial.

2vingrjoe

Do you really think that i could do such lame and dishonorable thing as uploading ready model pretending it was made by me ? Don't know what it means for u, but for me it's extremely obscene and disgraceful step.
It's not that i try exonorate myself in the light of your statement, but i just want to make things clear. First, i couldn't use the model that came with the 3ds Max programme, since i have demo version that is only 80Mb ,and it has neither model nor tutorials. Second, the model was made from scratch , every vertex and polygon of it by myself , and yes i used online tutorial for creation P38 Lighting plane as a guide, here is the link - http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/gmax.htm If u think it's a crime to use such guides, especially by those who know nothing about highly complicated programme as 3DS max, that your own right, but i personally find nothing disreputable in such a thing. In addition i made some things that aren't covered in the tutorial ( i know it's trifle for 3d gurus, but for me it was quite a trial) such as changing shape of sponsons, making them more authentic and applying textures.
So again, if you believe that i posted someone's else model in pursuit of ephemeral "fame" here, at CivFanatics Forum u absolutely misjudged me.
Thank u for your attention :)

I think you did amazing job nautil. :goodjob:
As for tutorials - this is the best way to learn and if you did it from scratch it gives you full right to claim your model as your own.

I never said you didn't make it. However, one can easily think that from my statement.The reasons for my suspicions is that I have seen people on the Civ3 boards use models without giving the creator credit, heck, I've seen guys post other people's units and claiming it to be their own. So, you have to understand my suspicion when I see a model that looks very recognizable. However, I realize I should give someone the benefit of the doubt, until they prove otherwise.

With that said, I think you did do a good job for just beginning with Max. In fact, seeing how you made the model so close to the one in the tutorial should be a compliment. I mean, you did it right, it's not a glob of unrecognizable polygons. I do not belive there is anything wrong with posting a model you made from a tutorial. I apologize for offending you, and encourage you to increase your modelling skills, and to continue to contribute to the CivIV community.

Thank u guys for your kind and encouraging words !:D
2 vingrjoe I can understand your suspicion , particually after taking in account that there were already cases of falsification , though i was suprised to know that there are such individuums here at CivFanatics, and that my model look very similar to the one that comes with 3DS Max, but honestly it's hard to make something different by following the aforementioned tutorial, since it is so detailed and describes literally every move. Well, after all I'm glad that we cleared the situation.

2 Paasky The skin comes with zip file in DDS format, but here i made JPEG and layered PSD for your convenience:

Attachments

• textre.jpg
    textre.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 389
  • textre.zip
    301.7 KB · Views: 259
I know this is an old thread, but is there any chance of someone polishing this unit - animations etc - I also get an odd noise with this unit if I just leave it sitting in a city - the noise goes if I put it on patrol.
Many thanks.

This is hardly your model if you used the tutorial. Anyone can follow step by step instructions. I just finished making a P38 lightning myself.

Nice texture though.

WarKirby

and does yours have animations / not make an odd sound? If so could I wash your feet in olive oil and have a copy of it please?

Excellent job.. Nautil: about ur in developpment Yak-1, could u make it a Yak-9? it's a much better looking aircraft..

Any updates on this excellent model? Like a USAAF emblem and/or animated props?

Bumpety bump...

Anyone with some experience want to see about fixing the animation/prop issues with this excellent model? Would love to see this excellent model with animated props, but I lack the skills!

hey wolfs...i think danrell's "7 modern units" has a p-38, american markings, but i cant tell for sure if props r working.....

They aren't, otoh the props now use a skin which makes them look as if they are (i.e. you do not see the blades, only a swirl).

Top Bottom