Wife or CIV?

The most important choice ever:

• Spouse

Votes: 86 50.9%
  • CIV

Votes: 57 33.7%
  • My spouse plays CIV with me. Commence your jealous rage.

Votes: 26 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tadster

Chieftain
OK. So last night I was playing Civ4, as usual. I'm on a Pangea map, as the Incans. I've already eliminated Peter and the Russians, and I'm using my strong, technologically advanced units to gradually cripple the Chinese Empire. Just one more city...

Anyway, I'm on the brink of breaking the Chinese back when my wife comes home. She had a reeeally bad day, and all she wants to do is talk about it. She's begging me to listen! But sheesh! I'm on the verge of global domination!! "Pleeease, talk to me," she says, "Turn off the computer!" OMG. That's the last thing I want to hear.

I've only been playing for an hour. The Chinese will fall in about 10 turns. Wife is on verge of tears. Elizabeth wants my corn. Wife is pleading. Cyrus might stab me in the back if I don't build another machine gun.

What would you do?

I reluctantly saved the game and turned the computer off. CIV is for a day, wife is forever, right? At least... until Civ5.

Golden rules of civ...

1 - Put children up for adoption
2 - Stockpile coffee and snacks
3 - Get divorced

Qin or Mao will still be there tomorrow if you ignore them, your wife won't be.

As Wesley Snipes said in White Men Can't Jump, "You got to listen to the woman."

Think of your wife as a particularly unpredictable AI. Be very, very careful. Even if your main goal is to play as much Civ as possible, be aware that divorces can get very ugly. Worst case scenario: Wife gets all your money *and* the computer. No money to buy new computer. No Civ. Nothing to live for.

I hope this isent a serious question. Real life ALWAYS comes before games

Put down the game, have the discussion, she will eventually get tired and go to bed, resume Civ. Sleep is for the weak...

What I finid annoying is after she says we're done, I resume the game and then she starts asking me a bunch of questions, things that are waaaay less important than world conquest. This is why I say wait til she goes to bed, then you can play uninterrupted.

This is the best way I know to be able to keep playing Civ.

zerksees said:
Put down the game, have the discussion, she will eventually get tired and go to bed, resume Civ. Sleep is for the weak...

LOl won't work for me as she only moans because i don't come to bed with her unless theres something on offer ;) even then i come back down when she falls asleep :goodjob:

My girl likes to watch me play Civ 4. Two nights a week me and friends play a MP game online and she sits next to me and watches. She is moving in soon and when she brings her computer in she will play as well.

tadster said:
Anyway, I'm on the brink of breaking the Chinese back when my wife comes home. She had a reeeally bad day, and all she wants to do is talk about it. She's begging me to listen! But sheesh! I'm on the verge of global domination!! "Pleeease, talk to me," she says, "Turn off the computer!" OMG. That's the last thing I want to hear.

I've only been playing for an hour. The Chinese will fall in about 10 turns. Wife is on verge of tears. Elizabeth wants my corn. Wife is pleading. Cyrus might stab me in the back if I don't build another machine gun.

What would you do?

I reluctantly saved the game and turned the computer off. CIV is for a day, wife is forever, right? At least... until Civ5.

No offense, but your wife shouldn't have to beg you for your attention. Any good husband should have anticipated his wife need and be there for her without her asking. Even after her countless pleading, you were still insisting on ignoring her and reluctantly saved the game...big mistake! Chivalry seems pretty dead these days.:(

I'm glad to see that at least at this moment, most poll respondents have chosen their SOs over a game. The latter I find frankly scary, since we live in the realworld where people are paramount. Forgetting this to manipulate pixels puts a whole new twist on Plato's cave analogy.

Moonsinger said:
No offense, but your wife shouldn't have to beg you for your attention. Any good husband should have anticipated his wife need and be there for her without her asking. Even after her countless pleading, you were still insisting on ignoring her and reluctantly saved the game...big mistake! Chivalry seems pretty dead these days.:(
:lol: Chivalry had its roots in war, so it is funny you should mention it as a reason not to play war games.

From: http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/chivalry

WORD HISTORY:
The Age of Chivalry was also the age of the horse. Bedecked in elaborate armor and other trappings, horses were certainly well dressed, although they might have wished for lighter loads. That the horse should be featured so prominently during the Age of Chivalry is etymologically appropriate, because chivalry goes back to the Latin word caballus, "horse, especially a riding horse or packhorse." Borrowed from French, as were so many other important words having to do with medieval English culture, the English word chivalry is first recorded in works composed around the beginning of the 14th century and is found in several senses, including "a body of armored mounted warriors serving a lord" and "knighthood as a ceremonially conferred rank in the social system." Our modern sense, "the medieval system of knighthood," could not exist until the passage of several centuries had allowed the perspective for such a conceptualization, with this sense being recorded first in 1765.

Naismith said:
Think of your wife as a particularly unpredictable AI. Be very, very careful.

Excellent advice. I find that our diplomatic exchanges can be either extremely beneficial or cause for war.

Moonsinger said:

Of course Chivalry is dead. It happened a long time ago, but the deal was sealed with the feminist revolution. Women can't fight for equal treatment and then expect men to treat them like incompetents.
But seriously, Moonsinger, and all else, I hope no one gets the wrong idea. I did choose my wife over the game. I always would. She just happened to come barging in the moment I thought global domination was a surefire bet. You know, it's the point in the game where you are so hooked that it feels like nothing can pull you away? Oh c'mon, you're a civfanatic, you know what I'm talking about. Besides, haven't you ever had to plead with your wife to leave the mall? C'mon. Those times when your feet are killing and you're about to go into a psychopathic mall-rage induced hurricane? In these situations, I usually hear her say, "Oh wow, look at this shirt!" She seemingly ignores my catatonic drool.

[edit, I apologize for this male-centered example. It might not make sense to women.]

btw, my wife usually loves watching me game. Especially shooters. But for some reason, she just has absolutely no interest in CIV. She comments, "That game looks too complicated. Why are your arrow men taller than your buildings?"

PS - I voted for spouse.

Naismith said:
Think of your wife as a particularly unpredictable AI. Be very, very careful.

Yeah, and the diplomacy modifiers are a real pain! :p

-10: You ignored me!

hmmmm woman civ,woman civ . . .

Hard choice after the women I've dated in the past. My best friend tends to say I'm attracted to trouble, but if your not Me and actually have a wife, and she's not totally psychotic, then I suggest you put away the game for a few minutes. After all, crazy *Beeps* are a dime a dozen, women worth actually going down the isle with . . . not so easy to find, and your game will be there later, after say . . . a candlelit dinner for two?

If my experience of woman is anything to go by you'd better listen to the old girl or you'll find your precious computer in bits.

Top Bottom