Israeli tanks in Lebanon

Lets just hope they are more accurate than the bombs.

When someone says the UN is powerless they are talking off the top of their head, when someone says the Lebanese governement is powerless, they are spot on, Hezbollah has more manpower better weapons and is insinuated so deep into Lebanon that it would take a large military force to shift it, heads up the Lebanon hasn't got one :D

There not only is this now an "official" political thread because someone has mentioned the UN, but I answered your implicit question as to why the Lebanese people have to die ;)

well if the lebanese people cant do it and the UN demanded they disarm then i have no problems with israel doing it.

i didnt see the UN do it when lebanon didnt.

Mr. Dictator said:
well if the lebanese people cant do it and the UN demanded they disarm then i have no problems with israel doing it.

i didnt see the UN do it when lebanon didnt.

UN isn't a military force,they could only move in under ceasefire circumstances, they are peace keepers not antagonists. They did vote for a cease fire but the US vetoed it unfortunately.

EDIT: Only the Israelis can do it now, and I'm not that optimistic it will be easy or achieved in the long term.

well, they have troops. when hezbollah didnt disarm but continued to fire missiles they could have stepped in. after all, they were the ones that demanded hezbollah disarm.

Sidhe said:
UN isn't a military force,they could only move in under ceasefire circumstances, they are peace keepers not antagonists. They did vote for a cease fire but the US vetoed it unfortunately.

EDIT: Only the Israelis can do it now, and I'm not that optimistic it will be easy or achieved in the long term.

Israel said they would agree to a ceasefire if their kidnapped soldiers were returned. You can't just steal people and not expect a response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Lebanon

The government of Lebanon has contracted the governments of the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Jordan, and Egypt to assess Lebanon's military and security infrastructure to develop reform programs in the near future.

With the departure of Syrian troops in April 2005, the government has made it a priority to modernize and upgrade the military and security forces. As of mid-July 2006 however, Lebanon is under heavy air and sea attack by Israeli forces and the LAF does not seem to be taking any noticeable action to defend the nation from the military campaign against it (since the army does not have any anti-aircraft missiles). Media reports indicate that some Lebanese military facilities as well as LAF personnel have been struck by Israeli bombardment.

The Air Force has no aircraft to counter the Israeli Air Force with. The Army does have anti-aircraft guns which have not fired on the Israelis

Does it sound to you like they have an adequate military? fact is it's not won't it's cant.

Gogf said:
Israel said they would agree to a ceasefire if their kidnapped soldiers were returned. You can't just steal people and not expect a response.

Have you heard their recent demands there's alot of them and they are completley unnachievable, giving back the soldiers now would be step one, they are being careful to point out that now only war is a solution, because their demands are extremely unrealistic, I'll try and find them.

IIRC it's things like the total disarmamnet of Hezbollah, withdrawal from the Lebanon, that sort of thing.

You're basing your argument on a free encyclopedia that anybody can edit? Are you sure you want to do that?

Anyway, if Lebanon can't disarm the militants, what's wrong with Israel doing it?

i never said they had an adequate military. i said the UN shouldve have known they didnt have a military big enough to handle hezbollah and sent in troops or something.

Mr. Dictator said:
i never said they had an adequate military. i said the UN shouldve have known they didnt have a military big enough to handle hezbollah and sent in troops or something.

Unfortunately, the UN is not capable of getting anything done.

Sidhe said:

Yes, the UN can call up military force...it has done so many times in the past. Exactly how is one supposed to keep the peace if not by force? Rolled up newspaper maybe?:lol:

then israel should step up. its them thats being attacked.

imagine an israeli terrorist organization attacking lebanese civilians. of course then the world would be ok with lebanon invading israel. because the world thinks israel has no place in this world.

Gogf said:
Unfortunately, the UN is not capable of getting anything done.

Link please, is that ever or just in this conflict:p it's not over yet, if peace could be restored then they may yet have a role to play. Forget the UN for now it's not relevant and speculation about their innefectiveness is a bit premature wouldn't you say?

MobBoss said:
Yes, the UN can call up military force...it has done so many times in the past. Exactly how is one supposed to keep the peace if not by force? Rolled up newspaper maybe?:lol:

Oh well if you didn't understand what I meant then why explain it, nm :rolleyes:

MobBoss said:

no, the newspaper tactic was dropped in favor of the hand slapping checkpoints

MobBoss said:

Bright day
"UN" cannot call up military force, because "UN" is a stamp. Nations compromising it can call up military force. In that the SC failed both Israeli and Lebanese. Yes France, UK, USA, Russia and China could see this, yet did nothing.

Gogf said:
You're basing your argument on a free encyclopedia that anybody can edit? Are you sure you want to do that?

Anyway, if Lebanon can't disarm the militants, what's wrong with Israel doing it?

My only concern is that Israel minimises civillian casualties, a land offensivve should hopefully do this, although currently I would worry about this, I'm not saying that Israel doesn't have the right to secure peace I'm just questioning the means OK, I've never said it should sit back and take attacks like budhists, I don't thing Kung Fu would be much use against rockets :)

If a cease fire is beyond reasonable means, then the next best thing is a controlled invasion, a discriminatory one hopefully. I still think they should of tried to work with the Lebanese Governement, or at least of handled this with more discretion, they're not helping ease the fundementalist furor in the Middle East by their actions. It all seems, to me at least, to be an act first think later situation. I have the right to be concerned surely?

Right,

Well let me say as one who is against the bombing, I think Israel is right to make a ground assault. It is a much more measured response in their self-defense that, I believe, will have a minimum of civilians caustalties.

sysyphus said:
Right,

Well let me say as one who is against the bombing, I think Israel is right to make a ground assault. It is a much more measured response in their self-defense that, I believe, will have a minimum of civilians caustalties.

But it will have more Israeli soldier casualties and unlike for many nations you cannot say that it was in all cases soldiers choice. Though I do not know much about IDF, and hope that the profesional part if it exists will be the main deployment and servicemen used for containment and support.

:salute: God be with you.

Cousin Sven (named after the inimitable Bertil-Taube) is quite correct in the assessment that a ground invasion is the least worst option, as it does allow close contact with the enemy.
The only way to win is to take ground; ye can bomb it, nuke it, but in the end some poor dogface has got to go in with the clodhoppers and the bayonet and muck it out.

Top Bottom