DNES2: War and Civilization

OOC: Heh, if size is all that matters then China wouldn't have lost to the Europeans in the 19th Century Half your army is made up of obsolete cavalry to begin with

Obsolete? I don't see your men carrying a bunch of muskets. Actually, who has the gunpowder unit here anyway? Why me!! :D I have the more varied force as well, and some of them are even better trained then yours!! So if anyones behind in terms of military might it's you :p

OOC: I do believe that Napoleonic French troops one for one wasn't as well trained as their counterparts ;) And really, population, production and etc wise, the Taej would crush you. Sure, you might win the first few battles, but in the long run... :mischief:

And your cavalry doesn't carry muskets if I might say so, and neither does your army :p

OOC: I at least have gunpowder in my arsenal by now, what's your excuse?

And in terms of all those things, I'm not exactly far behind you know...

Plus, if I had my way you wouldn't be having those advantages for very long ;)

I'm built for blitzkreg, just look at the mongols :p

OOC: We keep things very secretive. We have no gunpowder weapons. What are you talking about?

OOC: Well I do, Screaming Arrows unit uses gunpowder, what do you think I used when I conquered Karthia? ;) So in terms of advancement in military, I'm still ahead of you for the moment. You might be ahead in terms of your civilization but I'm catching up, and with the way things are going I'll soon match you in size as well!

Besides, if we make civilization comparisons, my country is based on the Mongols, while your nation is based on China. Who won that fight? I think I can hold my own :D

OOC: Of course! You will catch up to the Taej Empire very quickly. It is assured. And of course, Mongolia has such a massive impact on today's economic and political stage! They obviously have the 3rd largest factory output in the world and their annual economic growth is over 5%.

But of course, let's stop the spam. :)

I'm talking about when Genghis came and whipped China's butts, remember the name of Khan alex... remember it.

But yes, let's stop the spam shall we, so long as I get in the last word ;)

And where the heck is daft!!! :confused:

Hey, at least the Mongol's won!!!! :p That's all that really matters in my book!

So all I'm saying is, if Tian fought Taej then I stand a good chance of winning as well. :D

EDIT: Everythings in place now!

Again, not expecting people to read all this… Please take your time :)

This is way too huge, frankly im embarrassed to be posting it. And it jumps about quite a bit. I hope next one will be better+quicker. Instead of finishing things off, I was adding more stuff all the time. I’m determined this will be the last time the update will get so complicated and overblown. Though I know I said that several times before…

Andis-1 said he’d find me and beat me up if he lost one ship. He isn’t going to like this :D

@Luckymoose, I apologise for comparing you to a ‘senile’ person, but that’s kinda the impression I got from your orders :D I could have asked you for clarification about the Catalia thing, but I thought it would be more interesting this way…

I could be accused of ‘god-modding’ here, but I had honestly decided on all major NPC actions before I received any orders.

New nations = Freiland, Tamlki, Zhizhou, Arzamber Kalhipate, Pangari Republic
Renamed nations = Savaria (was Aj-Savar)
Contacted nations = Chaunka (different to ‘Chamka’!)
Dead nations = Bretoen, Cyrasian Empire

IC:

355-380 AD
In 365 AD, a huge celebration is held at Tianzou, the wonderous new palace of the Taej emperor. It is the greatest gathering in history. Envoys arrive from all over the world, some travelling for a year or more to get there. The only major war that is taking place at this time is Almoth’s battle for survival, in faraway europe. The borders of the great powers remain quiet.

South asian scientists forge ahead with new technologies. Ancient trade routes begin to recover, and new ones are being made. The prosperous colonies of the new world are becoming home to a thriving mix of Thulean, asian, and native cultures. For a brief moment, it seems like a new enlightened age of peace, trade and global contact is about to begin.

But even while the celebrations are taking place in Tianzou, great fleets and armies are already on the move. The world would soon be divided again, struck down by war, civil war, rebellion, and plague… The age of gunpowder had truly arrived…

Taej Empire

With Emperor Li dead, Emperor Ding now ascended to the Dragon Throne and the Zehju dynasty continued.

A census in 357 AD revealed around 150 million people within the empire. The vast majority were Taej by race and culture, and practised Taoism as their religion.

Several government and military reforms were carried out.

The plague caused several thousand deaths in the east of the empire, after spreading through Yutan and Ugasan. No major cities have been affected so far.

Severe earthquakes along the border with the Orion Empire caused damage in the most northern provinces.

---

For the first years of Emperor Ding’s reign, the attention of the empire was focused on Tianzou (The Seat of Heaven), the huge palace complex near Huich’on, which was finally completed by 365 AD. In terms of resources and manpower used, it was the biggest building project in history. Most who saw it also said it was the most beautiful (a blend of traditional Taej and other asian architecture, surrounded by huge ornate gardens).

The celebrations surrounding Tianzou were just as big. Envoys arrived from all over asia, including royal princes from Panga and Tian. The navigator Jan Husii arrived with several high-rankings envoys from the Thulean League. There were also envoys from Saruk (who sent royal Prince Fasru), Tusca and Umidia. The only notable absence was the ‘Thaoist’ envoy from the Cyrasian Empire, as that country was falling apart due to religious unrest (see Tusca).

The envoys enjoyed great banquets (with delicacies such as shark fin and sea cucumber) and large firework displays (which were especially impressive to those unfamiliar with gunpowder).

Emperor Ding gained much popularity from all this, both from his own people and from abroad.

For the first time in history, representatives from all across the known world had gathered in one place. For a while afterwards, there was great interest in foreign contacts and exchanges of ideas. This was helped by the Emperor’s ‘Pragmatic Edict of Defamation’, which allowed scholars and philosophers to discuss or write about anything, including controversial Taroist ideology, so long as this was confined to closed circles and kept away from the general public.

Across southern asia, it seemed like a new ‘age of enlightenment’ was beginning. But, it was not to be, at least not yet. Even while the foreign envoys were enjoying great banquets inside Tianzou, Taej guards were fighting outside against rebel agents. Almost every night, the crossbow-bolt ridden corpses of would-be assassins were piling up outside Tianzou’s walls. Trouble was brewing…

---

Firstly, there were scattered peasant uprisings across the Empire. Rural people became angry about the census and the increased taxes that came with it. In some places, there was even a small revival of Yaktan/Ongan separatism. Imperial agents and army garrisons were able to stamp out the rebellions before they got too serious, but thousands died in the process.

> Taej Empire: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

There was more unrest in Quipeng. Small bands of Taroist fanatics continued to fight local Quipeng/Taej garrisons in remote areas of countryside.

> Taej Empire: -1 Heavy Infantry
> Quipeng: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry

Taroist fanatics also infiltrated the Taej Empire and tried to assassinate high-ranking officials, without success.

At the same time, the Taej were making a major effort to rebuild the war-torn areas of Quipeng. The local people were grateful, but also wary, as many Taej farmers and craftsmen began to settle in the area. There were still many in the country who wanted greater Pangan influence instead of Taej.

Anti-Taej extremists in Panga were also watching all this…

Anyway, Quipeng’s king was now spending most of his time enjoying the luxury of Tianzou, and was increasingly distant from any unrest in his own lands.

---

Meanwhile, the Orions and Antalese had gone to war (see Orion Empire). Emperor Ding declared support for Ugasan’s fight against the Antalese, even though peace had already been agreed…

A large Taej army was then sent to Ugasan, with orders to lead Ugasan’s forces in a new invasion of the Antalese Empire. Ugasan could hardly refuse, especially as their king was busy enjoying the luxuries of Tianzou, and had no intention of upsetting Emperor Ding.

The combined Taej/Ugasan army met with success against the overstretched Antalese forces (see Orion Empire).

---

At the same time, the navigator Zheng He was sent into the western ocean to establish a Taej colony in the far south of the new continent. Sailing with Zheng He’s fleet was a new kind of ship, the ‘Yuan Junk’ (comparable to Umidia’s galleons, though generally larger, with an emphasis on durability and cargo space). These new ships are impressive, but very few have built so far.

Zheng He reached the new continent, though several ships were lost along the way (due to bad storms, and Taej inexperience with the open ocean). The surviving troops were landed on the densely-forested south cape. The local peoples were soon subdued with a mix of force and diplomacy. The vassal kingdom of ‘Zhizhou’ was declared. This would have been an ideal location to benefit from Thulean/New Pangan trade routes, but these were badly disrupted by the east ocean war (See Umidia).

The Pangans were angry, as they had their own envoys in the region, and had been trying to absorb the natives into their own sphere of influence. The traders of New Panga also took a hostile stance towards this new competition, and there has been very little cooperation from them.

So, at this point, Zhizhou is not doing too well. Taej colonists are making little trade income, and are dependent on native farmers for survival.

> Taej Empire: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -3 Caravels
> Taej Empire to Zhizhou: 3 Heavy Infantry (Pikemen/Armoured Swordsmen)

---

Back in asia, trouble started in Panga, and has now spilled over into Quipeng (see Panga). Quipeng is once again looking very vulnerable…

The Gyu peoples within the empire (around the cities of Toju and Ismatan) are watching the progress of the Gyu rebellion in the southern Orion Empire. So far they have not caused any trouble.

Trade has been badly affected by wars and unrest in all directions. Only the trade routes to Ormash are unaffected.

In 380 AD, another wave of peasant tax revolts has just broken out across the empire. All kinds of separatists and Taroist factions might soon get involved.

Most of the empire still enjoys relative peace and prosperity, but Emperor Ding’s popularity is slowly falling...

Panga

A mass shipbuilding programme continued. Panga soon had one of the biggest fleets in the world, though its Caravels were starting to be outclassed by the new ship designs of other countries.

Panga had also maintained a large army for many decades. After years of inactivity, they were keen to prove themselves…

Hocatelco War

In 364 AD, the Pangans sent a full-scale invasion against Hocatelco. The Pangans sent as many troops as their navy could carry, which was tends of thousands. The Pangans landed north of Catochen, near the central straights, and quickly overran the whole area. Meanwhile, the New Pangans had a tougher time as they advanced from their own borders, trying to break through the well-garrisoned fortifications in the north. They took heavy losses, until detachments of Pangan soldiers sailed down from the north and attacked from the rear. Much of Hocatelco’s east coast was then captured.

Both Pangan armies were now using large numbers of light infantry, as they learnt from the lessons of previous battles with Hocatelco. Many of the Navvian Guard were retrained as ‘New Guard’, carrying less armour and lighter weapons.

The massed Pangan navy fought a major sea battle against Hocatelco, in the straights near Tecochen (their capitol). As with the battle at Kemperof, which took place a few years later (see Umidia), it came down to boarding the enemy ships and fighting at close quarters. Both sides were roughly matched in terms of numbers, but the Pangans benefited from the use of gunpowder grenades, which were especially effective against the densely-packed deck of an enemy ship. The light crossbows carried by Pangan sailors also proved very effective (though the Hocatelcans actually had crossbows and heavy ballistas of their own).

In the end, Hocatelco’s fleet was scattered, dozens of galleys were lost or captured, and thousands of men were killed. Panga’s losses were only a couple of ships and a few hundred men. The main transport route for the Hocatelcan army now became a major barrier for them. Panga’s ships made sure that few of the enemy could get across in either direction.

The adventurous Pangans then probed the defences of Tecochen, but were soon forced back to their ships by enemy catapults and large formations of enemy infantry.

---

Even though half of their army was now stranded on the northern side of the straight, the Hocatelcans pressed on towards the Pangan beachhead. A major battle took place north-west of Catochen…

The combined Pangan/New Pangan army had an advantage in numbers, training, and weapons. But they were suffering from disease in the tropical conditions, and supplies were another serious problem for them.

The Hocatelcans had better knowledge of the local terrain, and were able to sneak up on the disorganised Pangan army camps, catching them off guard. The Pangans suddenly found themselves fighting for the first time against Hocatelco’s elite ‘Hawk Warriors’, who fought with a fanaticism that hadn’t been seen before.

Hocatelco’s troops attacked from every direction. This battle was becoming very messy and disorganised. But for the first time in warfare, the Pangans had a hot-air balloon in the skies above, with an observer onboard (who could signal to the ground by waving coloured flags). The Pangans were then able to send their reserves in roughly the right direction, and their better-armed soldiers eventually repelled the Hocatelcans. Heavy losses were still suffered on both sides.

After this close victory, the Pangans reorganised themselves and gained support from friendly native peoples. As the years past, there were many other smaller battles, and Hocatelco’s borders steadily shrank.

The Thulean colonies were aware of what was happening, but they had their own troubles at this time (see Thulean League). Apart from a few small bands of adventurers travelling with the Pangans, the Thuleans weren’t involved at all.

The central straights are still dangerous, but they could become the new highway between europe and aisa, if things calm down elsewhere.

Finally, as Hocatelco’s power declined, the local tribal peoples gained more power, especially in the mountainous region west of Catochen. These people are not necessarily friendly to Panga…

> Panga: -5 Heavy Infantry, -4 Light Infantry, -2 Heavy Cavalry, -2 Light Cavalry, -4 Caravels, +7 Galleys
> New Panga: -3 Heavy Infantry, -3 Light Infantry, -2 Light Cavalry
> Hocatelco: -9 Heavy Infantry, -11 Light Infantry, -19 Galleys

---

Back in old Panga, these were exciting times. Tales of glory overseas came at the same time as the Tianzou celebrations, and a high-point of contact and exchanges between different peoples. There were advances in the understanding of alchemy, metallurgy, atomic theory, physics and anatomy. Steam engines were used to drive mill-stones and pump water to major cities. Philosophy also thrived - As european ideas arrived from the Thuleans, they caused a flood of new debates and discussions.

But there were also old tensions lurking in the background... There were a growing number of fanatics calling for the return of ‘greater Pangari’, the reunion of Quipeng and Ongan territories with Panga, and the restoration of old Republican ideals.

The mood in south asia began to change, as Orion and Taej went to war against the Antalese, Tian and Ormash came close to war, contact with europe was cut short by foreign wars (see Umidia), the first signs of the plague appeared, and a wave of rebellions began.

The Taej Empire then caused more anger among the Pangan fanatics, as it increased its influence in Quipeng and Taej citizens settled there (see Taej Empire). Some saw the ‘reconstruction’ of Quipeng as a prelude to its annexation - and Panga itself would be next…

Then, Taej interference in the new continent caused yet more anger (see Taej Empire).

The Pangan leadership made efforts to calm things down. But for the anti-Taej factions, it was all too much to take. They decided on a pre-emptive strike…

Pangan Civil War

In 379 AD, Pangan fanatics crossed the border into Quipeng, along with much of Panga’s homeland army. They received mixed support from the local peoples. The Pangan Emperor sent urgent messages to the Taej, asking for time, while loyalist forces tried to stop the mutineers. Unfortunately, as luck would have it, most of the calmer heads among the military were still overseas, with most of the young radicals left at home. In a battle at Byka (on the north west coast of Quipeng) the Pangan fanatics and Quipeng volunteers defeated a half-hearted attack by a joint Pangan/Quipeng loyalist army.

The mutineers now spread propaganda throughout Panga, declaring ‘The Emperor’s honour has been compromised by corrupt Taej influence’. Soldiers and civilian mobs stormed the capitol city of Panga itself, and declared a new Republic of Greater Pangari (with a far more militant tone than under the Emperor’s rule). Panga’s Emperor and his loyalist allies escape to north, declaring temporary capitol at Tarsa.

> Quipeng: -1 Heavy Infantry
> Panga: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry
> Panga to Pangari Republic: 8 Heavy Infantry (Pikemen/Navvian Guard), 2 Heavy Cavalry (Armoured Horsemen), 5 Light Cavalry (Horsemen), 2 Galleys, 2 Caravels

Both sides are willing to press the issue, but neither side wants to see Panga in ruins. There has been some small-scale skirmishing and manoeuvring while everyone waits to see what will happen. As news spreads to New Panga, the people there have become especially anxious about the future. There is a small, but growing separatist movement there.

Quipeng’s army is becoming very weak, as some troops desert to join the Pangan republic, while others are still fighting Taroist fanatics.

Around half of the Pangan army is still overseas. These troops are still loyal to the Pangan emperor, partly because he is the one sending supplies, and partly because their commanders are mostly old traditionalists.

Meanwhile, the Hocatelcans were also regrouping under their new religion, ‘Altoc’. It teaches that the King of Hocatelco is a lesser God, created by the greater God, and sent into the world to bring order and justice, with divine authority over all lands and peoples. It is the duty of all peoples to serve their god-king, and it would be an insult to the greater God to disobey him (basically, ‘Altoc’ is being used to get fanatical support from the people).

Chimuko

The Thuleans had made an alliance with the native powers of Chimuko and Tolmecahu against the more powerful Hocatelco kingdom. But after the war in the east ocean (see Umidia) and greater Pangan/Taej involvement in the new continent, this idea began to break down.

The Chimukans had begun to adopt both asian and european weapons (crossbows and pikes in particular) in addition to their traditional maces, and now had a fairly powerful army of their own.

Chimuko’s own ambitions took over. Chimuko invaded its weaker ‘ally’ Tolmecahu. They fought back well, but couldn’t match Chimuko’s heavier infantry. Tolmecahu was left with just its capitol and coastal provinces.

The faith of Orhadism (a mix of Oruism and Taoism) continued to take hold throughout Chimuko, after spreading from New Panga. But it became jumbled up with native beliefs, and is now quite different to the faith as it is known in Ormash (where it first began).

Thulean League

In 365 AD, after sailing across both of the great oceans, the Thulean navigator Jan Husii arrived off the shores of Quipeng, carrying Thulean envoys from New Panga and other Thulean nobles from the west. This time they made a much better impression, and arrived with gifts of gold for the Taej Emperor. After the great Tianzou celebrations, Husii began a return trip to the Counille peninsular by continuing eastwards, sailing south of Saruk (where coastal commerce was slowly returning to normal, despite Tarrist raiders) and north along the Umidian coast. It was to be the first circumnavigation of the world…

This was a highpoint of the Thulean League. New exploration and colonisation was taking place in the new continent. Religious exiles from Germanica and the HRE were given the chance to go to the colonies, and many accepted. Pictish and Juhtish rebels were also shipped off to the new world. Contacts were established with the Chauka peoples in the heart of the continent, while the new Husii Straits Company was pushing far into the north east.

The Thuleans now had a web of contacts and trade routes that covered much of the world. In particular, there was growing contact with south asia, via New Panga. Philosophies and ideas were being exchanged as much as trade goods. An academy of Pangan sciences was established in Saint Gustparsberg. It was an exciting time for the many.

---

Trouble still remained in europe. ‘Nordism’ with its Phosist-influenced ideas was causing some upset to the old establishment.

There were rumours of Thulean aid for the Lanvinquist rebels (see HRE), and relations with the HRE remained tense. But Lanvinquist influence also spread into the Thulean province of Geldra, which then declared its support for the Lanvinquist cause and left the League. Thulean forces have so far been unwilling to retake Geldra by force.

Skirmishes continued against Pictish and Juhtish rebels. The Juhts were unified under an Aeonist chieftain (see Norgar) but Thulean’s hold on their ‘Juhross’ coastal province has not been threatened yet.

> Thulean League: -1 Heavy Infantry, -3 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

---

As for the great circumnavigation of the world, this was never completed. Husii suddenly found himself imprisoned by the Umidians at the port of Cadith. Unkown to him, a war had begun in the east ocean (See Umidia – ocean war). Fortune had suddenly changed for the worse.

The war of the new world

At the same time as the massive blow to their east ocean trade empire, the Thuleans were drawn into a messy war across the north of the new continent. With a Thulean army pushing deep into Scota territory, the army of Kinland suddenly attacked from the north, pillaging Thulean settlements along the coast. A few months later, the Great Chief of Hanawauk decided to lay siege to New Nazer in the south, at the head of tens of thousands of warriors, and declared his support for Kinland.

The Chief of Alganwi then declared support for the Thuleans (who had, after all, been helping train and equip his army) and a chaotic war began, with no real front lines. Battles were fought all along the coast, from Kintag to Yahoss. The Scota tribes and other native peoples found themselves fighting against both sides.

The Thulean navy was hardly at full strength here, but it was enough to check the coastal galleys of Kintag and Hanawauk. On land, the Thuleans were usually outnumbered by at least two to one, and had most success when they were fighting defensive battles. Nonethelss, the Thuleans made gains (especially where cavalry forces could be gathered together), capturing Kintag, the capitol of Kinland, and establishing it as a fortified base, while pushing north from Yahoss into the mountains of southern Hanawauk land.

But New Nazer was lost to Hanawauk, and much of former Scota territory was taken by Kinland. The Hanawauk galleys and warriors also made several raids on Mahutan island, but these were easily repulsed. Mahutan’s population swelled as refugees arrived from other colonies.

Hanawauk and Alganwi armies now became more entangled with each other. Alganwi generally had most success, thanks to its Thulean-supplied arms and armour. They came close to recapturing New Nazer, so close in fact that the Hanawauk warriors decided to burn it to the ground. Alganwi armies pushed south past the Ohiwa lake, and were deep into Hanawauk lands by the time that fragile cease-fire treaties began to be negotiated. Fighting gradually came to a stop, and a fragile cease-fire still holds at this point.

In the end, the only real ‘winner’ was the Alganwi chiefdom, which remains on good terms with the Thuleans.

> Thulean League: -4 Heavy Infantry, -3 Light Infantry, -2 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Cavalry, -1 Galley, -1 Ys Sloop
> Alganwi: -4 Heavy Infantry, -6 Light Infantry
> Hanawauk: -2 Heavy Infantry, -16 Light Infantry, -2 Galley
> Kinland: -7 Light Infantry, -2 Galley

---

Thulean confidence has been severely shaken by all of this. With the east ocean full of hostile Umidian ships, there is only a vulnerable northern route open to the colonies. Few traders are willing to risk the journey to New Panga, let alone asia. Everywhere south of Mahutan is now almost cut off from the Thulean homeland. But Thuelan traditions continue there, as the colonies have neither the will nor the ability to go independent at this point. The colonies are also becoming home to determined anti-Umidian pirates.

Back in Saint Gustparsberg, a crisis was brewing. The trade economy was crashing, with the sudden loss of the most valuable trade routes to the new world and asia, along with the loss of many trade ports, merchant ships, and huge stockpiles of goods. Many great trading houses were left bankrupt. This had an impact on other countries, especially the HRE, where Thulean merchants had been well established (see HRE). The only major trade route left was the north-west route to Videssos.

A new faction emerged - the ‘Patriots’, made up of mainly of ethnic Yssians. They blamed the northern Picts for hijacking the glorious legacy of Ys, and then crashing it into ruin. They called for the reunion of all Yssian peoples and former territories, including Roazhon in the HRE, and the straights of Oriant. The ‘Patriots’ are threatening to split the republic and establish their own capitol at Ys. Roughly half of the aristocracy support them.

But most of the common people are against this. Wealthy merchants may be suffering, but life goes on pretty as normal for the peasant masses. The Pictish and Yssian cultures will not be so easy to split apart; there is now hardly any distinction between them in much of the Thulean mainland. Despite the situation, there is still a great deal of pride in the Thulean ideal and the legacy of Gustornii the Great.

Umidia

Umidia’s leadership was reorganised to cope with the growth of its territory, army and navy, especially the latter. A merchant’s guild was established. Many other reforms were taking place.

Money and materials continued to flow into Umidia’s shipyards, and many more ships were launched.

Umidia’s physicians were tasked with finding a cure for the plague. They failed to do so, but they did encourage general cleanliness and hygiene among the sprawling cities of Oryx and Abydon.

It was a time of peace and relative prosperity. Unlike neighbouring lands, there were no real religious or ethnic divides in Umidia. Even in the recently-conquered mediterranean islands, many Umidians were already living there, and they supported Umidian rule. Jerusalem still lay in ruins, and the remaining Judean people were demoralised. Only Bantlwan in the south had a sizeable population of non-Umidian africans, but there was little dissent among them.

Meanwhile, after Saruk’s efforts to unify the Theosist faith, the Umidians dug a new divide. ‘Reformed’ Theosim was established as the state religion of Umidia. It preached full tolerance for all religions, so long as they have ‘good and noble’ ideals, regardless of whether they actually follow the Haijs. War in the name of religion was no longer to be justified; only wars ‘in defence of the kingdom’ were to be considered just.

On mainland africa, Reformed Theosim had little impact beyond Umidia’s borders. But overseas it began to clash with ‘orthodox’ Theosim. Both versions of the faith were competing for influence in the native kingdom of Ohukal (though native beliefs were still strong here too). After several bungled assassination attempts on Sarukian missionaries (probably funded by Umidia), the religious issue boiled over into open conflict between different Theosist factions across Ohukal and the nearby Umidian colonies. Native peoples and Umidian garrisons became involved on both sides…

> Umidia: -1 Light Cavalry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -2 Light Infantry

This violence hampered efforts to expand the colonies (particularly the building of gem/diamond mines south of Ohukal), as the area was fought over by the different factions.

Further south, a renewed attack was launched against the Tarrist island kingdom of Ankul, with reinforcements of cavalry and infantry. The cavalry were of limited use in the mountainous terrain here. But the infantry had success. The native army was broken, and the city of Ankul was captured. The natives later regrouped, and established a new Tarrist kingdom in the south of the island.

> Umidia: -1 Light Cavalry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Infantry

Back in the mediterranean, the Umidians swallowed up the small island of Tano, formerly part of ‘Almothien’ under the HRE’s overall authority, and now in a state of disorder. Most of the defenders fought half-heartedly, but some were stubborn enough to inflict losses.

> Umidia: -1 Galley, -1 Light Infantry

Umidian cavalry forces also helped subdue the Aeonist rebels in Catalia, and defeated a probe by a HRE army (see HRE).

---

Meanwhile, after years of training and careful preparation, a great armada was being gathered off the coast of Oriant. It was enough to carry tens of thousands of troops, along with dozens of heavy siege weapons, and huge amounts of supplies. It could not be kept quiet; rumours spread throughout southern europe, especially in the HRE, after the clash in Catalia (see HRE). Others thought that Umidia was going to aid the Almothian cause. But the armada eventually disappeared into the east…

Now, the Umidians embarked on a bold campaign, striking suddenly and directly at the heart of the Thulean League’s trading empire. This was a shock to peoples across the eastern ocean. The Thulean’s hold on the eastern islands had gone unchallenged for centuries. Thulean colonies were caught unprepared.

The Ocean War

‘For the prosperity of Umidia, and defence of africa against outrageous Yssian/Thulean expansionism’, these were the words of the Umidian King…

Umidia’s huge armada reached the island of Astura, sailed up to the main city and opened fire with its new weapons – ‘cannons’. Over a dozen of them were carried by some ships. The cannon was Umidia’s secret weapon; early versions of them had brought down the defences of Elaphos. For decades, Umidia’s leaders had been fascinated with these weapons, and had poured money into the refinement of them. They were still clumsy, dangerous, inaccurate, and difficult to reload. But the sights, sounds and impacts of these weapons were terrifying to the Thuleans, especially as gunpowder was still hardly known in eastern europe.

Many dozens of caravels sailed with the fleet, but the core was the Galleon, the largest type of ship in the world at this time (at least until the Taej Empire’s ‘Yuan Junks’ appeared). They could carry a considerable amount of artillery.

Shock and surprise were total. Astura was soon in a state of panic. Many of the city’s inhabitants began to flee, along with most of the defenders.

Several Thulean trade ships had seen the Umidian fleet, and returned to the Thulean mainland to spread the word. But the Umidians had already headed out into the east ocean. They didn’t wait to conquer the whole island of Astura, and Thulean loyalists managed to hold out in the south.

After roughly a month at sea, the Umidians arrived at Ember, a major Thulean colony deep in the eastern ocean, the hub of several trade routes. The Umidians had surprise on their side once again. Troops and siege artillery were unloaded; Ember fell to a combined attack from land and sea. The fleet then split up to capture the other ports on the main island. Thousands of tons of trade goods were captured, along with many merchant ships. Thulean garrisons were outnumbered and overwhelmed; the Coastal Levies and Kornden Militia were rarely a match for the invaders. Umidia’s forces were led by thousands of Immortals (many now carried ‘voulges’, or long-bladed pikes, instead of the traditional curved Falx blades), and backed up by thousands more bowmen and ‘Phalangite’ pikemen. Only the Thulean ‘Pictish Guards’ could really go toe-to-toe with the Umidians, but there were only a handful of these across the colonies.

Meanwhile, mixed ethnic Thulean/native peoples were able to wage a successful guerrilla war in the interior, amongst the steep mountains and dense jungle, where there were many ideal places for ambush. Siege artillery was no use here, and the Umidian infantry also suffered from disease in the hot, damp conditions. Most of the interior remained free of Umidian control, but was not exactly loyal to the Thulean League either. The memory of Yssian atrocities against native peoples centuries ago had not gone away.

The Umidians were also attacking the smaller islands in the south with more success. However, the Thulean colony of Arzamber actually fell to a Theosist uprising before the Umidians arrived - Sarukian missionaries had gained influence among the populace, especially among disenchanted mixed-ethic peoples. With the collapse of local Thulean authority, the Theosists were able to take power, declaring the ‘Kalhipate of Arzamber’. Unfortunately for Umidia, they follow ‘orthodox’ Theosim, and have taken a pro-Saruk stance, distancing themselves from the Umidians.

As the Umidians struggled to tighten their grip on the islands, they were battered by fierce storms, made worse by the Umidians lack of knowledge about the local waters. Several more Umidian ships were wrecked, and the fleet was scattered for a while. Some ships were never found again - it is rumoured that some of these were caught and captured by Thulean/Yihamcoross privateers.

> Umidia: -2 Heavy Infantry, -4 Light Infantry, -1 Support, -2 Caravels, -4 Galleons
> Thulean League: -3 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry, -2 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Cavalry, -2 Galleys, -2 Ys Sloops

The Battle at Kemperof

Umidia’s fleet was reorganised. Half the ships and soldiers would stay to guard the islands and hold down the resistance, while the other half would head far to the north east, towards the colony of Kemperof. When the sick and wounded troops were taken into account, along with the losses of ships, it was more like a quarter of the original troop strength and a third of the original fleet. Nonetheless, the Umidians were still confident of further success.

Up to this point, the Umidians had avoided any major naval battles with the Thuleans. The sudden mass of ships, and the shock of the cannon-fire had scared away most of the Thulean ships they had run into. But as Umidia’s progress slowed down, news had finally spread all across the Thulean League.

The Thulean League still had huge numbers of galleys, but these were of little use in the open ocean, and most were left to guard the north european islands. The Thulean’s main ocean-going ship was the Ys Sloop - these came in various sizes, but the biggest of them were still a third smaller than the Umidian Galleons. At most, they carried a couple of large deck catapults. But it was a strong and sturdy design, built to survive in severe storms. And although the new Galleons had larger sails, making them faster in most cases, the Ys Sloops were generally easier to manoeuvre.

The Thuleans managed to gather most of their Ys Sloops at Kemperof. It was an impressive sight, and Thulean morale was raised; they were eager to restore their seafaring pride. In terms of numbers, it was still small compared to the original Umidian armada, but about equal to the reduced Umidian force that now approached…

As battle commenced, the Umidians still had little experience of using cannons against enemy ships. They had spent months practising, but things were always going to be different in actual combat. The effect of the cannons was not as overpowering as the Umidian commanders had been expecting. The problems of inaccuracy and slow reloading were made far worse against a small, moving target. Hits were rare, without getting very close. And when the cannons did hit, they damaged sails and killed men, but they were rarely able to sink the sturdy Thulean ships.

The Thuleans also had centuries of knowledge in navigating around these islands. They could use the tide, wind and currents to their advantage. They were able to outmanoeuvre the Umidians, and approached quickly with the wind on their side, giving the Umidians less time to use their cannons.

So, the Thuleans bravely approached the Umidian fleet, sailing through a scattered barrage of cannon fire, until they came into range with their deck catapults. But the Thuleans didn’t stop until they literally crashed into their enemies. In the end, it came down to boarding the opposing ships, a form of warfare that the Thuleans had much more experience of.

Galleons fired their cannons point-blank into the decks of Sloops, as boarding hooks were thrown in all directions. Thulean and Umidian ships became mixed up and entangled on all sides. The Thuleans attacked with great ferocity; several charismatic commanders were among them, inspired by their Ultimist beliefs to seek fame and glory. Several Umidian caravels and one of the galleons were overrun. But the larger size of the galleons made them difficult to board, and they also carried more troops. Most of the Thulean boarding parties were fought off. The Umidians began to counter attack, and captured many sloops. By this time, cannon fire had begun to sink several Thulean ships. The remaining Thuleans retreated east to Manhutan island, taking some captured caravels and one galleon with them.

It wasn’t the great victory that the Umidians would have wanted. Tthe Umidians had plans to go even further, but they had reached their limit for now. After their losses in the sea battle, the Umidian soldiers got bogged down against determined Thulean resistance on these mountainous islands (most were pure blood Yssian/Pictish, with very little dissent here). And despite the best planning, Umidia’s supply situation was now very precarious. With the Thulean ships threatening to regroup, the Umidian admiral didn’t want to send his ships away.

The morale of the Thuleans was low, especially as their new-world colonies were attacked by other foes (see Thulean League). But it wasn’t crushed.

> Umidia: -3 Caravels, -2 Galleon
> Thulean League: -8 Ys Sloops, +2 Caravels, +1 Galleon

Raids on Ohukal

Meanwhile, trade routes through the east ocean were thrown into chaos. The occupied ports were disrupted by riots, or attacks by Thulean loyalists or native warbands. Thulean/Yihamcoross privateers also begun to prey on Umidian shipping, especially the traffic to Umidia’s own colonies in the south…

These raiders also plagued the pro-Umidian kingdom of Ohukal. It was the one place in the ocean war where the Thuleans and their allies really went on the offensive, and Thulean morale and influence remained strong. Large coastal areas of Ohukal were pillaged, and Yihamcoross even established permanent beachheads in some places. Ohukal is now in total chaos, with fighting between Theosist factions going on at the same time. Yet Yihamcoross overstrained itself with these raids, and now has problems of its own, with many islands breaking away from central rule.

> Yihamcoross: -3 Light Infantry, -1 Galley
> Ohukal: -5 Light Infantry, -2 Galleys

---

The Thuleans are left with only a vulnerable northern route to their surviving new world colonies. Despite some causes for hope overseas, the Thuleans now faced a crisis at home (See Thulean League).

Umidia has suddenly become a great colonial and naval power. Umidian confidence and prestige are running high. The Umidian people have heard stories of glorious victories, and great fleets travelling to the ends of the earth. But so far they have seen no real benefit to trade. In Catalia and along the straights of Oriant, there are also fears about more HRE invasions (see HRE).

Saruk

As 355 AD dawned, large sections of coast were still in ruins. There was such concern over the number of bodies lying around that an official order came to dispose of them in special mass cremations. Only the bodies of Theosists were granted the dignity of being burned face-up.

The ruling Kalhipan of Saruk died aged 69, to be forever remembered as the destroyer of Alhmhadar and Kenbu (though Kenbu actually still existed). As his eldest son was now considered too old to take power, it was the middle son - Jarek al'Jiaz - who claimed the throne.

After being summoned to witness the first ‘massa’ (prayers) of the new Kalhipan’s reign, the veteran generals of Saruk set out on a mission to destroy the small Tarrist chiefdom of Logrono, which had so far resisted probes by Saruk’s forces. General Usuf gained greatest glory, as his large cavalry army stormed across the plains and routed all opposition in its way. Logrono was taken (soon renamed Lageria), and all the Tarrists were slaughtered, as had become the custom of the Sarukian army. Officially, the Kalhipan had wanted to exile the Tarrists to Kenbu; but General Usuf and his troops had become too hardened by their many gruesome battles to show any mercy now.

> Saruk: -1 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

The nearby chiefdom of Koa was watching this, and was determined to avoid a similar fate. It is said that their chief has now converted to Theosim.

Meanwhile, the islands of Oro and Nysar were easily regained from Tarrist forces. There was actually no resistance on Nysar. The small Tarrist force on Oro was lacking supplies and didn’t put up much of a fight. The last remnants of Kenbu’s invasion were removed.

The ‘Sulchan League’ was rebuilt; it was given Sulchan, Lageria, and the island of Oro. The leaders of the League were very grateful for this.

The Aj-Savar vassal state was made independent as the Savarian Kingdom, their ruler being granted the title of ‘Dalhipan’. This was a great honour, but also caused some uncertainty. Some feared that Saruk did this to prevent being drawn into another war with the Antalese, and the Savarians were now a ‘buffer state’.

The peace treaty with the Antalese was honoured by both sides. The Savarians regained some land, and focused on regaining their strength. They have avoided tackling the Judean rebels at Beer Sheva, though they still claim rights to that area.

The rebels at Tamlki were also granted semi-independence. Their leader was given the title ‘Shabaye’ (meaning ‘guide’) and a Theocratic form of government was introduced.

Tamlki formed its own small army, and began to slowly take control of the unsettled plains in the north. This angered the nomadic tribes living in the area. There are rumours of a great uprising by barbarian peoples...

Population growth was encouraged; it was steadily rising in any case. Roads were built in the east, and Sarukian settlers moved into former Tarrist or Almhadar areas.

There was a steady increase in trade with the Antalese Empire (even after the Orions invaded – see Orion Empire) and Umidia. But Tarrist raiders caused trouble along the southern coast. Kenbu continued to destabilise and fragment into smaller factions, and the coastal areas became bases for piracy.

Although brave and determined, these pirates lacked access to good quality boats, and the Sarukian navy made sure they were no real threat for now. Several small sea battles were fought, but the Sarukians took no real losses.

Meanwhile, Prince Fasru (Jarek’s younger brother) made a good impression on his arrival at Tianzou, and stayed for some time in asia. Relations between Taej and Saruk improved somewhat. More asian countries became aware of Saruk and Theosist civilisation.

Finally, work began on the wonderous Ihali-al-Gadan (the Mosque of Gardens). This was to be a grand temple of Theosim, and symbol of victory over Tarrist and heretic forces.

Holy Rovien Empire

Emperor Laurent II ascended to the throne in 356 AD. He was already an old man, and he certainly didn’t get any younger as the years past. Although much loved by the people, he became increasingly senile and incapable of good judgement; yet there were no advisors willing to countermand his orders.

The plague continued to kill tens of thousands, but there was no response from the Emperor (not that he could have done too much about it).

The border with Almoth was kept well guarded, but no attempt was made to attack the Almothians. Relations with Germanica continued to worsen for various reasons…

There was still no official interest in the idea of a unified Aeonist church. Germanica took the initiative with this idea (see Germanica).

After many decades of inactivity, and a complete lack of interest in seafaring by successive Emperors, the east ocean fleet fell into a state of disrepair. Many older ships were no longer refitted or replaced. Some ships were sold off to Thulean traders, others were scrapped.

> HRE: -4 Galley, -1 Caravel
> HRE to Thulean League: 2 Caravel, 1 Ys Sloop

The Lanvinquist movement (a philosophical offshoot of Aeonism, with heavy Ultimist influence) was underestimated by both of the Aeonist Empires. Its ideas continued to evolve - it began to preach that the every person was part of God, and promoted freedom, respect and honour for all. Its followers remained strongly opposed to ‘corrupt’ Aeonist authority.

Fanatical Lanvinquist troops defeated several half-hearted attacks by Rovien garrison forces (possibly with material aid from the Thuleans, or ‘Juhtish’ mercenaries). Some land was retaken in the south, but the rebellion spread and took hold further north. Eventually the new state of ‘Freiland’ (literally, ‘the free land’) was declared, based on democratic and Lanvinquist ideals (basically a combination of Aeonist and Ultimist ideals, but strongly opposed to ‘corrupt’ Aeonist authority).

Emperor Laurent made appeals to the Freilanders in the name of Aeonism, but they had already cut ties with the faith, and had their own new religion.

After a final, close-fought battle near Sandac, the Rovien army was forced to completely withdraw from the most northern provinces, along with an exodus of devout Aeonist believers who refused to live under the Freilanders.

By this time, Lanvinquism had also spread into the Thulean province of Geldra, which now left the League and joined Freiland. Thulean forces have yet to get involved.

> HRE: -4 Heavy Infantry, -2 Heavy Cavalry

Sometime around 361 AD, a devout peasant girl by the name of Joania was said to have begun performing ‘miracles‘ among the villages near Auxierde, in the war-torn vassal republic of Bretoen. Hundreds of sick people were said to have been cured by her presence alone. She claimed to get her power from Aeonis himself… Unfortunately, she died of unknown causes a few years later. The authorities declared her to be a ‘Saint’.

Partly due to this, the faith of Aeonism was strengthened across the empire. Stability increased. The warring factions in Bretoen had their support undermined by devout Aeonists. The war in Bretoen ended, but the republic was seriously weakened. The Bretoens gave up most of their powers to Rovien, and ceased to be a separate vassal state.

> Bretoen to HRE: 5 Heavy Infantry (Pikemen/Campagnard), +2 Heavy Cavalry (Chevalier), +3 Light Cavalry (Horsemen)
> Bretoen is no more!

Meanwhile, Emperor Laurent called for the ‘restoration of order’ in Catalia. This caused panic among Rovien’s military; they wondered if the Emperor really understood the situation - Catalia was currently split between warring Aeonist and Theosist factions, but it had been a vassal state of Umidia for many decades, and the HRE had long ceased to have any real authority there. This would effectively be a war with Umidia.

Nonetheless, none dared question the Holy Emperor’s orders. A small army was gathered near the border, and was joined by many Aeonist volunteers (not as many as would have been liked, as many had gone to Catalia in previous years, and had already been captured or killed by the Theosists).

The army made a half-hearted invasion of Catalia. The Aeonist factions there were overjoyed at its arrival, but things quickly went wrong. Umidia had also sent a cavalry force to help its vassal defeat the Aeonist rebels (see Umidia). Things could have gone the way of the HRE, if their forces had stood their ground. But only the Umidians and their Catalian allies were really sure of what they were doing. The HRE called a retreat at the first sign of danger.

> HRE: -3 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry
> Catalia: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry
> Umidia: -1 Light Cavalry

With the quick retreat of the HRE’s army, the Umidian leaders did not press the issue further. But paranoia gripped the south coasts of the HRE, especially after Umidia claimed the island of Tano (see Umidia). Rovien’s admirals then took control of Germanica’s mediterranean fleet (which had been stationed in Lenierde since Germanica lost its southern ports to Almoth) and added it to their own mediterranean fleet. This didn’t help relations with the Germanicans (See Germanica).

> Germanica to HRE: 12 Galleys

The region around Anguilairme also looked vulnerable to Umidian attack. With a revival in old Gallic culture, the ‘Gallic Knights’ were formed to defend the old Gallic heartlands. They have declared themselves a military order, separate from the HRE army, but still under its overall authority.

> HRE to Gallic Knights: 3 Heavy Infantry (Campagnard/Pikemen), 4 Heavy Cavalry (chevalier)

As one final piece of bad news, the empire's trade economy also began to suffer. The empire had never been particularly wealthy since its formation at the end of the ‘40 years war’. Thulean merchants had become well established across the empire. As the Thulean trade network was thrown into chaos (see Thulean League and Umidia), many of these merchants were closed down, and they left gaping holes in Rovien’s trade economy. The price of many foreign goods and luxuries rose through the roof, and trade declined even further.

Almoth

Centuries ago, during the collapse of old Almoth, some of the Almothian peoples fled overseas, and dispersed across the Mediterranean. Some of these people had kept Almoth’s culture and traditions alive to the present day. Now they were keen to join the fight to defend new Almoth. The volunteers came mainly from the islands of Buto and Tano, as these islands remained in some disorder after the Umidian invasions, and there was less incentive to stay. A few volunteers also came from Tusca.

> Almoth: +3 Heavy Infantry (Armoured Swordsmen/Eagle Pikemen), +3 Light Infantry (Crossbowmen/Spearmen), +1 Heavy Cavalry (Armoured Horsemen), +1 Light Cavalry (Horsemen)

Almoth was also training more troops from within its own borders, including the recruitment of many women soldiers, as had been the tradition in Almoth’s past. Even some children were recruited. And the state of Tusca sent ‘unoffical’ support in the form of supplies and weapons (especially powerful Mycenean repeating crossbows, which the Germanicans were also using by this time), while Tusca’s democratic ideas began to spread in Almoth. Altogether, Almoth’s forces were now almost equal with the southern Germanican army.

The Germanican emperor declared Aran Denton to be insane and an anti-Aeonist, and had him excommunicated from the new Holy Aeonist Church. This created unrest among occupied peoples, causing riots in Almoth’s cities, but it had little impact on the loyal Almothians. In fact, it made them more open to embracing ‘Lanvinquism’ (a philosophical offshoot of Aeonism, with heavy Ultimist influence - see HRE).

Almoth also tried to spark more rebellion in Germanica, sending weapons and supplies across the border, but these were intercepted and the efforts came to nothing (see Germanica).

Meanwhile, the morale among the Almothian people was soaring. Almothian patriotism, Lanvinqiust philosophy and democratic ideology were mixed together. And there was still the inspiring leadership of Aran Denton, who convinced the people (whether it was true or not) that they were fighting for their existence, and that failure would lead to a final genocide of Almoth’s people. In short, the fanaticism of Almoth’s army was now as great, or greater than any others in history.

---

Germanica did, of course, renew its attack against Almoth, starting with a feint against the former-Cyrasian city of Almos. Germanica’s small force was intercepted by fanatical Almothians and was badly mauled. But they managed to link up with a band of Cyrasian Aeonist volunteers (see Germanica).

Germanica sent a larger force along the central river line, towards the city of Talbar. This would split Almoth in two; Aran Denton was determined to prevent this, and gathered the rest of Almoth’s army to face the Germanicans outside Talbar. There was a disaster for the Almothians, as their ‘Golden Legion’ cavalry received incorrect orders and charged too soon, with the result that they were cut down by Germanican pikes and crossbows. The spearhead of Almoth’s army was suddenly lost. But the battle continued, and became a gruesome, brutal infantry fight, with both sides much the same in numbers and weapons. Neither side showed any mercy. The superior morale of the Almothians began to give them the upper hand, though Germanica’s ‘Holy Crusader’ troops fought on and prevented their lines from collapsing. In the end the Almothians claimed victory, though both sides had suffered heavily.

Aran Denton survived the battle, but was not the same leader he had been. Increasingly old and in poor health, and perhaps traumatised by the horrific battle, he kept his forces on the defensive from then on. The threat of invasion from the HRE also made the Almothians reluctant to risk their forces.

Talbar was never completely relieved. The Germanicans regrouped, and moved into the well-fortified northern territories with heavy siege weapons (such as large trebuchets), and managed to isolate several other cities. The war dragged on for decades though; after several more campaigns, several more prolonged sieges and several more tough battles, the Germanicans had made little progress. Germanica was also facing other threats by this time (see Talibria).

In the towns and villages that Germanica did capture, there were no reports of atrocities against civilians. Though, very few civilians stayed behind to find out.

For several years, Germanica’s mediterranean fleet had continued to sail out from Lenierde in the HRE, raiding the coast and disrupting what little coastal trade the Almothians had. But they never regained their old ports, and the ships were eventually commandeered by the HRE, to defend against expected Umidian attacks (See HRE).

> Almoth: -11 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry, -6 Heavy Cavalry, -3 Light Cavalry
> Germanica: -12 Heavy Infantry, -3 Heavy Cavalry, -3 Light Cavalry

Almoth was now fragile, lacking food and more of a battlefield than a country, but it still existed.

The death of Aran Denton in 379 AD did little to discourage the Almothians. By then, a new generation of leaders had emerged, and a new generation of soldiers had grown up who had not even been born when Almoth’s independence war began.

Talibria

Relations with the Antalese remained good. Talibrian volunteers joined the Antalese army (see Antalese Empire).

As Talibria expanded, it began to absorb the horse riding culture of the peoples it had come to rule over. In the north-western borderlands of europe, there were still remnants of the old Talani horde (an offshoot of Ulakam that had threatened to invade central europe centuries ago, but had been scared off by the united army of the early Gothic and Saxon kingdoms). There were also the descendents of Kyzar peoples who fled from the Antalese. Some of the local Germanic/Motrian tribes had also become skilled horse riders. The result was the formation of the ‘northern horsemen’, riding on small, but very hardy horses, which can negotiate the rough terrain, and survive harsh winters out in the wilderness with little food.

Cavalry commanders began to gain more power in the Talibrian leadership. The focus began to shift away from the old capitol at Aster, and shifted towards the old Motrian heartlands. The Talibrians now had their sights set on the fertile borderlands of Germanica…

This took the Germanicans by surprise. Forces were rushed from the Thulean border to counter the threat, which was enough to stall the Talibrians for now.

> Talibria: -1 Light Infantry, -3 Light Cavalry
> Germanica: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Infantry

Meanwhile, with the Talibrians busy in Germanica, Norgar declared war and quickly captured the old capitol at Aster (see Norgar). The Talibrians recovered from this blow, and established a new captiol at Konig, while refusing to withdraw forces from Germanica. There was now serious strain between the traditional Librian tribes and the emerging, mixed-culture, mounted aristocracy.

Empire of Germanica

The people of Germanica remained mostly loyal and mostly united behind the faith of Aeonism. But constant war was beginning to take a toll on morale. More trouble was brewing…

Plague swept across the German heartlands from the HRE. The death toll was severe in places, especially in the densely packed cities of Merlin and Dresden.

Germanica’s emperor became interested in foreign technology. Paper making and printing became more widely known. Gunpowder and repeating crossbows were also brought by Aeonist converts from Cyrasia.

A Holy Aeonist Church was declared, based in the city of Dresden. To begin with, this was a temporary arrangement. The Germanicans still saw Rovien as the true home of Aeonism, as Aeonis himself had lived and preached near Lenierde. Officially, the Holy Aeonist Church was to move to Lenierde at a later time, once peace was restored in the south. But the HRE showed no interest in this idea. It seems likely that Dresden will become the new heart of the religion…

Indeed, Germanica became more active in spreading the Aeonist faith, as the new Church declared this to be the duty of all Aeonist followers. Germanican missionaries were very busy in Tusca and the Cyrasian Empire.

Growing tension between ‘Thaoist’ and Aeonist factions plunged the Cyrasian Empire into chaos. Tusca exploited this for its own gain, and despite being mostly Aeonist, it began to take sides against Germanica (see Tusca).

Germanica gained some enemies but also some allies - Aeonist volunteers from Cyrasia were gained for the fight against Almoth:

> Germanica: +3 Heavy Infantry (Eagle Pikemen), +2 Light Infantry (Repeating Crossbowmen), +1 Support (War Wagon)

Germanica also gained a friend in the north. The fractured Juht peoples began to regroup under an Aeonist chieftain known as Offa (see Norgar).

---

Almoth attempted to supply weapons and arms to start another gothic pagan rebellion, but Germanican loyalists intercepted the supplies and stamped out the rebellion before it could begin.

The Holy Aeonist Church and the bulk of the Germanican army were now committed to the destruction of Almoth. Much fighting ensued. (See Almoth)

As the fighting against Almoth dragged on, Germanica was suddenly attacked by the ‘Northen Horsemen’ from Talibria (see Talibria).

Tensions remained along the northern borders, especially as Germanica was unable to guard them properly. But the Nor and Thuleans had their own problems.

---

Germanica’s army has been seriously worn down by all this fighting, as is being spread thinly. Though most of the Germanican people are still determined to fight for their faith and empire.

Tusca

The Cyrasian Empire’s hold over Tusca as a vassal state was totally reversed. Cyrasia fell into chaos as Aeonist factions grew in strength and challenged the traditional ‘Thaoist’ leadership, which had already been weakened by defeats against Talibria. Tusca’s army then moved in to take control of Empheros, the Cyrasian capitol, after promising to allow the free practising of Thaoism under their rule. There was no real resistance.

> Cyrasian Empire is no more!

Meanwhile, the Knights of Mycenae retook the city of Mycenae for the Antalese Empire, with the support of local people.

Aeonist factions are left holding the northern area, and seem to be seeking an alliance with Germanica. Meanwhile, Tusca has sent supplies to Almoth.

Alexandyr, the brother of Bazilevs Karlyk, had been exiled to Cyrasian Empire before the trouble began (see Antalese Empire). It is not known what has happened to him.

Norgar

Thulean influence was increasing, but could hardly compete with Videssos. Videssian priests and envoys now hold a great deal of influence in Norgar’s royal court.

Videssian engineers helped to build an extended road system in the heart of Norgar. Videssian farming methods began to be used in some areas.

Parts of the army began to be reformed along Videssian lines. Norgar even formed its own elite unit of ‘Halogar Guard’, based on Videssos’s Haloga Imperial Guard (which were themselves influenced by Nor voyagers to Videssos in ancient times).

The king of Norgar now decided to make a move against the Talibrians. Things were complicated by the fact they were fellow Phosists, and the Videssians also had advisors and influence there. Relations with Videssos were threatened. But the Nor were concerned about losing control of the Hundar-Harfall straights to a strengthened Talibria.

With the Talibrians busy invading Germanica (see Talibria), the Norgar army was able to swiftly capture Aster (the capitol), and isolated Talibria’s most northern territory. Little fighting actually took place. The Nor began to negotiate with local Librian tribes, seeking out allies who might turn against the increasingly foreign aristocracy of Talibria.

> Norgar: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry
> Talibria: -3 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

Meanwhile, Norgar’s attempts to subdue the Juhts ended in another failure. Many Juhtish tribes were united under the chieftain known as Offa, who had converted to Aeonism after meeting a Germanican missionary (maybe because he honestly believed in it, or maybe because it was a useful tool to rally the people against Phosists and Ultimists...) Offa resisted the Norgar soldiers, and pushed them further back. Thulean expansion on the peninsular was also halted - Offa gained more support after the Thuleans began capturing Juhtish people and deporting them to the new world (see Thulean League).

> Norgar: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

Antalese Empire

The so-called civil war was brought to a swift end, as prince Karylk consolidated his power and kept Alexandyr isolated and under siege at Tarakyan. Seeing that he had no real support left, Alexandyr agreed to a peace offer, and went into exile in the Cyrasian Empire. Prince Karlyk officially became the new Bazilevs. Almost immediately, he went on a tour of the major cities, and had some success at instilling a new sense of optimism and unity among the people.

However, plague was also sweeping through the east of the country, killing hundreds of thousands of people, and causing unrest in the major cities.

Meanwhile, in Agre, one alchemist carried out experiments with what might later be known as electricity. It was found that certain metals, when placed together in combination, produced a weak kind of ‘charge’ that was different to magnetism, though both forces seemed to have effects upon each other. This was little more than a scientific curiosity, and attracted little attention.

---

Antalyak remained a very important city for the Kristinyd dynasty, but was no longer the real centre of their power. Karylk wanted a more central capitol for the enlarged empire. So the capitol was moved to the slightly-less-sprawling city of Altyn Sarai, which had been the capitol of the ancient Altyn-Kanalt empire and was the home of the wonderous ‘Hanging Gardens’ (which had lost much of their wonder after centuries of repair and reconstruction, and were now outdone by the private gardens and palaces of several wealthy aristocrats, but were still important cultural icons of the empire).

Anyhow, the city of Agre still outshined all the other cities of the empire, and was still the most beautiful and magnificent city in the world east of Huich’on (indeed, some felt that it also surpassed anything in asia). The city had never been pillaged or seriously damaged since it had been re-established as Agre in 255 BC (before that, it had been the unimportant Aahnad city of Ankara, and had seen its share of violence). The great statues and monuments of the Agrinese golden era were still standing, though they had become a little worn down over the centuries.

Bazilevs Karlyk now ordered many of Agre’s monuments to be dismantled, placed on river barges, and sailed down river and across the Altyn-Kule (golden lake), to their new home in Altyn Sarai, where they were cleaned up and reassembled. It was a cheap and quick way of making Altyn Sarai more beautiful, and more fitting as the new imperial capitol, but the citizens of Agre were angry. The spread of the plague had already made people uneasy. There were some riots, and even some full-blown street battles in Agre, as the residents fought to prevent some of their most historic monuments from being taken away. The death toll was rumoured to be in the hundreds.

This was a set back for Karylk, be he continued to appeal to the people, promising a glorious new age for the empire. Karlyk made it known that he had grand plans for the further rebuilding of Altyn Sarai, including a huge network of canals to link the city centre with both of the great lakes on either side, and the rivers that lead to Antalyak and Agre. A grand canal would also be dug through the Herakleia isthmus, to connect the mediterranean and Ak-Dynghez seas (expanding on an abandoned attempt by the Mycenaeans from centuries ago). The empire would be united by waterways, with Altyn Sarai at the centre. New academies of science and philosophy would be built, along with grand new temples for all the faiths of the empire.

But this would have to wait for now, as most resources were directed to the strengthening of the military, which had been run down by many decades of constant war. The Antalese Empire still had huge amounts of manpower available, but the training and equipping of new troops had never been enough to outpace their losses. Karylk was determined to reverse this situation.

To this end, peace was agreed with the Theosist powers after much negotiation. Some of the hard-won territory was given up, but Herakleia and the mediterranean coast were kept. Also, the siege of Byzar’s capitol (Aydin) was lifted. The Bazilevs had mixed support from this from his advisors. The situation in the Savarian lands had been looking increasingly bad, and prolonging the fight did not fit in with Karlyk’s goals of restoration and recovery.

Trade was now re-established with the west africa coast. The trade routes across the empire between asia and europe also continued to strengthen, at least for a while… (see Orion Empire)

Meanwhile, at the request of Talibria, the north-eastern provinces (part of what had been the Kyzar Khanate) were reorganised and given some autonomy as ‘Inner Libria’. Ethnic Librians were given priority over the Ulak/Kyzar and other peoples of the area. In return, the Antalese army gained ready-equipped volunteers from Talibria and local Librian peoples.

> Antalese Empire: +2 Heavy Infantry (Armoured Swordsmen), +5 Light Infantry (Swordsmen)

With the east looking secure, Karylk also tried to pull back from the unofficial desert war against the Orion Empire in the west, but didn’t have a chance…

Orion Empire

Many government reforms were taking place in the Orion Empire. The new system borrowed somewhat from the Antalese and Taej models (in particular, the use of civil examinations to raise standards in the bureaucracy).

Great efforts where made in the areas of science and education. A new ‘scientific institute’ was established, and a new generation of thinkers and philosophers came into being. Pangan, Taej and Antalese works were studied with great interest, especially Antalese ‘Oiukumenography’. Orion was now firmly in the same league as the other asian powers when it came to science.

Efforts were also made to improve industry. The new scientific institute toured neighbouring countries to get ideas. Pangan-inspired steam engines were built - though not up to Pangan standards, they were successful at pumping out water from mines (thus allowing access to deeper mineral veins). Waterwheels were also used for various purposes, based on Taej ideas.

Work on the ‘Great Foundries’ began. This was to be smelting and metal-working on a scale never seen before, a ‘palace of industry’ as some called it. But progress was slow, as Orion’s leaders had other priorities.

General wealth and confidence remained high. Ormash/Tianese tensions took pressure off the northern and western borders. There were good relations with the Taej Empire in the south. Altogether, the empire was in a good position to go to war in the east…

After decades of skirmishing, ‘Full and total war’ was declared against the Antalese Empire for its ‘continued aggression against the states of the world and for its oppression of Artan and other peoples who are of Orion descent’. Though the latter part didn’t make much sense (the Artanese/Altynai having little in common with Oru or Ormash peoples), it sounded good to the soldiers.

The Desert War

First, as a small Orion army moved north-west, towards the ancient Ulak town of Talulak. Antalese garrisons moved in to resist. They were hoping for another small-scale skirmish. Unfortunately, a much larger Orion army then invaded further south, heading along the Ghulaman-Baraylk road. This main army had well over one hundred thousand men, mostly infantry, with heavy cavalry in support. It was an awesome sight.

Bazilevs Karlyk was not expecting this. The Antalese struggled to enough gather forces to oppose the Orions. Meanwhile, the Orions reached the city of Baralyk, which fell with little opposition, especially after the Orions began exploding large barrels of gunpowder against the city walls.

Yet, the march across the desert had taken its toll. Despite the best efforts by the Orion commanders, many thousands of men and horses died from exhaustion and lack of water.

The lack of light cavalry also hampered the Orion advance. The Antalese had small bands of experienced Camelmen, and had recruited local Turuk peoples; both of these were skilled at desert warfare. They harassed the flanks of the Orion army, attacked supply wagons, and melted back into the desert whenever Orion’s heavy cavalry pursued them.

The Antalese kept control of the deserts, but the Orions kept advancing. After Baralyk, the terrain was more forgiving, and the army was soon attacking the walls of Eluai. If Eluai fell, the new capitol of Altyn-Sarai would be under threat. At this point, Bazilevs Karlyk sent in everything he had available. Still, by the time they arrived, it was too late to save Eluai. The Orions had already stormed the city. A major battle was fought outside the ruined walls.

Battle at Eluai

In terms of experience, the Antalese were a real mix. Some troops were veterans of many campaigns, while many were raw recruits with rushed training. The Orions had far fewer veterans, but had higher training overall.

Both sides were fairly equal in size. The Orions had a large advantage in infantry, the Antalese had an advantage in cavalry (especially light cavalry) and also had some war elephants (which were increasingly vulnerable in battle these days, and were more of a morale weapon than anything else).

Antalese cavalry ruled the day. The Orion’s heavy horsemen couldn’t match the veteran Ildyrn Cavalry. Large formations of Baghaturs and horse archers began to harass the flanks of the Orion infantry. Lacking their own cavalry support, the Orion infantry had a tough time getting through the walls of ‘Agrinese’ pikemen.

But the Orion infantry sill managed to overrun the enemy line in several places. Orion’s Imperial Guard were generally superior to any of the Antalese infantry. The lightly armed Oru fanatics, the ‘Ascended Warriors’, were also able to rout the Librian volunteers fighting for the Antalese.

The ‘Fire Lancers’ were another shock. Their weapons had been slowly evolving; many of them now carried metal tubes, which spewed out metal shards with some force when ignited – enough to pierce armour. They were inaccurate and almost impossible to reload in battle, but they terrified the new recruits in the Antalese army, and caused another part of their line to break.

For several hours, the battle was going in Orion’s favour. But just as the whole Antalese line was about to crack, the Antalese cavalry regrouped and made a determined charge against the flanks of the advancing Orion infantry. The Orions faltered; instead of advancing, they began to form a giant defensive circle, which gradually became more disorganised. Several more hours passed, as the Orions made a long fighting withdrawal to Eluai. Even then, fighting continued along the ruined walls of the city. Both sides were thoroughly exhausted by this time.

The Orions kept Eluai, but Altyn-Sarai was saved for now. The following years were spent on constant manoeuvring, with many smaller battles. The Orions eventually reached the coast, but they were still fighting against Antalese raiders in the Ak-Ibir desert, and supply remained a big problem.

> Orion Empire: -15 Heavy Infantry, -9 Light Infantry, -7 Heavy Cavalry, -4 Light Cavalry
> Antalese Empire: -12 Heavy Infantry, -6 Light Infantry, -5 Heavy Cavalry, -9 Light Cavalry

---

Meanwhile, a large combined Taej/Ugasan army suddenly entered the fray (see Taej Empire), crossing from Ugasan into Artan and the far south of the Antalese Empire. Local Antalese forces were totally overwhelmed. Sarbaralyk held out for a while, until the Taej forces undermined the walls, and detonated large amounts of gunpowder underneath them. This took a while to pull off, but the effects were spectacular. The city was forced to surrender at once.

The Taej/Ugasan army also attacked the huge city of Tandak, a major trading port. This time there was a large urban battle lasting several days. The outnumbered Antalese fought a fighting retreat through the streets. Much of the city’s wealth and many of its citizens were evacuated by boat. The Antalese troops then fell back to the port themselves, where many were able to escape under a protective hail of crossbow and ballista bolts from the Antalese fleet.

The Antalese were now forced to abandon many of their southern provinces. Garrisons were evacuated by sea and used to strengthen other areas.

An uneasy border was drawn between areas of Orion and Taej/Ugasan control. For the most part it split along the Artan river, though the Orions still held the area around Basara, west of Sarbaralyk.

> Taej Empire: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry
> Ugasan: -1 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry
> Antalese Empire: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Cavalry

At this point, Orion confidence is still running high, and several grand victory parades have already been held in Oro. But many commanders are increasingly uneasy about the situation on the front lines. Antalese morale has been dented, but they still have much population and resources at their disposal, and it seems their military is in position for a strong counter-attack at any time. Bazilevs Karylk remains in Altyn-Sarai, making inspiring speeches to the people.

---

Meanwhile, the Orions had more trouble at home…

There were a few scattered cases of the plague, probably brought from the Antalese or Taej empires.

All trade links with the Antalese ground to a halt because of the war. Orion traders were now heavily dependent on trade with the Taej Empire, but this trade route also became disrupted…

Several major earthquakes took place in the southern mountains around Gyunai. Local infrastructure was damaged, and thousands were killed - the governor of Gyunai province was one of them, killed when the roof of his palace collapsed. Local Gyu peoples saw this as a divine sign, and began uprising against Orion authority. There weren’t enough troops around to put down the rebellion, and it spread through much of the southern mountains.

> Orion Empire: -2 Heavy Cavalry, -2 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

Ormash

Ormash remained confident and wealthy. The mainland borders remained calm.

Asia had never seen so many strong empires existing at once, and Ormash was the only power that shared borders with all the others. This inspired many books and treatises on the subjects of war and diplomacy…

A low-ranking army official from the city of Ingash wrote a book, ‘the Way of Emperors’, which dwelt on everything from the politics and intrigues between the empires of asia, to the military tactics used by the great armies of past and present (while having a subtle pro-Ormash tone throughout). This book became popular with the aristocracy across asia and beyond.

Ormash sent a royal prince as representative to Tianzou, who made a good impression on the other envoys there.

Relations with Chamka increased, as its leaders encouraged the spread of Orhadism among their people.

During this time, the focus was shifting inland, away from the navy and the colonies. Ormash’s expansion into the north western islands slowed to a crawl.

---

The situation with Oda and occupied Koyon remained messy. Ormash had now gained supporters and enemies in both these lands. Koyonese unrest continued, but paranoia took hold. There were constant intrigues and conspiracies. The anti-Ormash factions became disunited again – rebel Koyon and Oda factions began fighting each other, as well as Ormash. The government of Oda is now becoming unstable.

Meanwhile, various other native peoples caused trouble on the nearby islands. The morale of Ormash’s garrisons in the region became low... Few soldiers wanted to be posted to these remote corners, with no chance of fame or glory.

> Ormash: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry
> Oda: -1 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

---

Back home, great efforts were made to strengthen the army and recruit more infantry. This was helped by a wave of patriotism across Ormash. There were also rumours of new gunpowder weapons being tested by Ormash’s forces.

Then there was a massive movement of troops into Jara, with the agreement of their rulers, in order to defend the country against an expected Tianese invasion. Ormash even persuaded the Jarans to abandon their capitol city of Jaipav (which was in an defenceless position, close to Tian’s border and surrounded by open plains) and move to the central mountains. Many preparations were made to defend both Jara and Khanapor. Tensions were running high everywhere.

Ormash now had over a hundred thousand men in Jara. Ormash commanders were forced to take supplies from the local people. The country became a virtual vassal state. The Jarans put up with this for a while, as it seemed Ormash was there to ‘protect them from Tianese imperialism’.

But Tian’s invasion never came. Jara’s leaders remained supportive of Ormash, but unrest grew among the common people (this was probably helped by Tianese and Garudan agents). Large scale rebellions took place, and were joined by deserters from Jara’s army. Ormash and loyal Jaran forces fought back. After years of fighting, parts of Jara are still in rebel hands, especially the jungles of the south east, and the central mountains – the same areas that were supposed to be used as strongholds against Tian…

> Ormash: -2 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry, -1 Light Cavalry
> Jara: -3 Heavy Infantry, -1 Heavy Cavalry

Videssos

Due to their position in the world, the Videssians had less contact with the other asian powers during this time. Still, knowledge of both printing and gunpowder was gained from other countries. Scholars in the Holy Acadamy of Videssos continued their work to acquire knowledge from abroad.

Great efforts where made in shipbuilding, many new Caravels were launched.

A constant stream of supplies, advisors and missionaries headed out to Norgar and Talibria. Videssian and Phosist influence in those countries was increased.

Norgar then invaded Talibria, which complicated things (see Norgar).

The Tungusi peoples showed kindess towards Videssian missionaries, though they refused to give up their way of life to join Videssos.

Meanwhile, the troublesome Nakuri were on the verge of establishing their own centralised kingdom, until they were finally confronted by Videssos. Two demands were made on them – First, to become a part of Videssos, and secondly, to accept the Holy Light of Phos as their God. Both of these were refused. Videssos had been expecting this...

There were no half measures in this campaign. After careful planning, Videssos sent in three separate armies by land and sea. They quickly sliced up the Nakuri’s territory. A small band of Phosist fanatics from Norgar also joined the attack from the east.

The Videssians took losses, but nothing really held them back. The Vaspurikan infantry did well in the rough terrain. The Videssians were also blessed by unusually mild weather in the far north. The most fanatical Nakuri warriors were quickly wiped out; the rest of the Nakuri peoples were forced to accept Phos and the rule of Videssos.

The Videssian commanders gained much confidence from this success. The morale of the troops also remained high.

> Videssos: -1 Heavy Infantry, -2 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry

Videssos now had one less troublesome border region to worry about. Though, there was still trouble elsewhere…

Desperate Tarkan raiders pillaged the south of Ryzovy, carrying away treasure, food and cattle (see Tian). Ryzovy’s inexperienced and ill-equipped garrisons fared badly.

> Ryzovy: -1 Heavy Infantry, -3 Light Infantry, -1 Light Cavalry
> Tarkan: -1 Light Cavalry

These raids took place without the blessing of Tarkan leaders, let alone Tian. But still, relations have soured between Tian and Videssos. Ryzovy is now asking for retaliation…

Chamka

There were continual fears of an invasion by Videssos. Paranoia gripped Chamka’s rulers. Very harsh reprisals were carried out against rebels and against innocent civilians. This only made things worse; anger and unrest continued.

Despite the troubles, the country’s manpower and wealth were slowly increasing.

The capitol was moved from Angor to the new city of Kiwat in the centre of the country. This was an area recently conquered and settled by ethnic Cham peoples.

Chamka was making efforts to improve relations with Ormash, their only real ally. Orhadism was encouraged among the people. Ormash’s traders were given special privileges.

Tian

As with many other countries during this time, several reforms were taking place in Tian. Immigration from other countries was still being encouraged, with limited success.

Tianese scientists and philosophers probably benefited the most from the brief increase in contacts and exchanges of ideas that occurred in asia (around the time of the Tianzou celebration), before wars and unrest took hold again.

Great efforts went towards a new project, the ‘Great Hall of The Khans’ in Aral Tiyu. This was to be a huge monument to the great leaders of Ulak history, as well as a place to keep old documents and treasured relics. Many people were already being inspired by this, but some advisors wondered if it was wise to create more ties with the past; some would prefer Tian to distance itself from the less cultured, more warlike peoples that had gone before.

Parts of Tian’s vast cavalry army were demobilised, and released back to their farms and villages. This helped towards a general increase in population. Though, the troops had to be ready for service again in the event of war.

Wealth and trade began to increase again, as fewer supplies were needed for the military. Tianese traders were able to expand their business across asia, as wars and rebellions disrupted the usual trade routes.

Tianese officials gained yet more influence over Ryakhi and Tarkan. Tian sent money and advisors to help its vassal states. Relations with the Tarkan were improving, but many people there still remained bitter towards Tian. Many were still desperately poor…

Several Tarkan tribes got together and decided to raid into Ryzovy territory to steal food and cattle. The Ryzovyans were unprepared for this, and the raiders were able to carry away much loot from the south of the country. Relations with Videssos and Ryzovy were damaged (see Videssos).

Meanwhile, the Tianese were alarmed by the mass movement of Ormash’s troops into Jara (see Ormash). But they made no attempt to move into Jara’s territory.

Tianese morale and confidence remained high. But tensions were increasing with Ormash especially. Many were now actually looking forward to war, as a chance for Tian to prove its military might, and end all this uncertainty…

---

Regional Spotlight – Central Tian

Along the Tiepe (or Tiyu) river, through the major cities of Altin Tiepe, Aral Tiyu and Mandal Tiepe…

This land contains many layers of history. The first cities appeared during the time of the ancient Sumeyan and Mittani city states, roughly three thousand years ago. These cultures are now long forgotten. Artefacts are occasionally be dug up by Tianese farmers; but the strange carvings and the grotesque-looking figurines of ancient deities are nothing more than a curiosity. These first cities had fallen into anarchy before 2500 BC.

For centuries afterwards, there were only a few unsophisticated towns along the great river. Then came the Ulak, expelled from the east by the rise of Altyn-Kanalt. From 1000 BC onwards, a centralised Ulak leadership emerged, and the first horseback-riding traditions appeared. These traditions flourished along the fertile river plains, where thousands of horses could be kept well fed and watered.

With their horses, the new Ulak conquered in all directions. The great empire of Ulakam was born, with its capitol at Altin Tiepe. Only here, at the capitol of the great Khans, did true urban culture begin to reappear. For centuries, this was the only major city in the region. With the fall of Ulakam, came the rise of Tian. New cities came into prominence. Urban culture began to spread along the river and beyond, a process that continues to this day.

The major cities now show little signs of old Ulakam. Here and there, old temples and palaces may be seen, especially in Altin Tiepe. But the newer style of Tianese architecture is most common. This is a colourful blend of old Ulak, Ormash and Agrinese styles. Some say these are the most beautiful cities in the world. The cities continue to expand rapidly.

The climate is hot and fairly dry. As there isn’t much distance to the equator, there isn’t much difference between the seasons. ‘Summer’ lasts for a few weeks, during which it hardly ever rains, and temperatures rise. Large tracts of land may become barren, even parts of the southern swamps may begin to dry out. Strong winds from the north can carry sand with them, and large sandstorms are not uncommon. During ‘Winter’ there are heavy rainstorms, or at least a constant drizzle of light rain, which can last for several weeks. In wilderness areas, this is followed by a sudden blossoming of plants, and a mass migration of animals that feed on them.

The natural riverbanks continue to sustain plant life all year round. Crops can also be grown all year in the large irrigated areas. Indeed, the great ‘Aqeuous’ irrigation system remains in full operation, several centuries after it was first built by the Ulakam Empire. It has been gradually extended over time, and now brings green crops to large areas north of the Tiepe river, where only arid land had been before. Conversely, in the south, it also drains large areas that used to be swamp, allowing crops to be grown there too.

The sprawling cities of Tian could not exist without all this irrigation. Almost all of the rural people are farmers. Those who don’t work on farms usually work in stables – nearly every family owns a horse, and there are many hundreds of stables across the countryside. Many of them are used by the royal army. It is often possible to see thousands of armed horsemen at a time, galloping along roads between the main army stables.

There are no major industries in the area, but the cities support a growing amount of varied craftsmanship and metalworking, along with a large number of scholars and philosophers. The faith of Phosism is strong throughout the area, though the southernmost city of Mandal Tiepe has a large Oruist community (it being closest to the Orion Empire).

The great market place of Tianem Square, in the capitol of Aral Tiyu, is usually home to swarms of people. These open markets cover a large area of the city center, and are surrounded by many imposing warehouses, auction houses, and the houses of royal trade officials. Here, it is said, you can buy anything from across asia. There is even dried tobacco from New Panga, which sells in huge amounts. For several years previously, there were also various Thulean goods on sale (in particular, fine glassware and coloured glass ornaments), which were prized for their novelty value. Every time trade routes are disrupted further south, more and more foreign merchants are traveling here instead.

---

NPC Diplo

To: Germanica

We have common enemies, and we ask for your help. We propose that a Germanican prince becomes our king, and we will become a vassal state of Germanica. Together we will fight against the enemies of the Holy Aeonist Church!

To: Germanica

I send greetings on behalf of my people. I hope that we can cooperate against the enemies of Aeonism.

To: Taej Empire

We ask for your support for a new Gyu kingdom, as a vassal of the Taej Empire.

To: Germanica and Almoth

We propose that Almoth becomes a vassal state under our rule, as a way to end the fighting. Almoth will give up some land east of Somerfyld, to give Germanica access to the mediterranean.

Attachments

• DNES2m18b.png
    DNES2m18b.png
    313.2 KB · Views: 275
To Tusca
From Almoth

Get lost, we have not fought for a generation for our independence to simply return to vassalage!

Wonderful update! We didn't get all we want, but we shall press forward!

TO: The Antalese Empire

Your armies prove unable to defend your homeland, and our armies have crushed you and sent you reeling. We may have lost more, but we have more to lose. Relinquish us the cities of Atil, Akguai, and Arylak in conjunction with our current gains and we will have peace.

OOC: An excellent update, though my paranoia has just rose to unparalled levels. Wow, Iggy also just happened to have left for a week...

To Antalese Empire
From Taej Empire

His Majesty the Emperor has little desires upon Antalese Territory. He simply wishes for Antalese recognition of our vassal Ugasan's gains.

To Umidia
From Saruk

We find your actions in these times increasingly troubling. First off, the Thuleans have never been a threat to any African people and have only been our friend and ally for centuries past. Not once did they interfer with our people- in fact, they even -in a world filled with intolerance of our faith- accepted the Divine to take root in Arzamber. Dispite our uneasyness with your war against the Thuleans, we will not interfer- you may do as you wish for now.

Secondly, your constant attempts to take the lives of fellow theosits is extremely alarming- do you not know that killing a brother is a sure path to eteral suffering? We should work togethor as one against those who opprese us, not fight like children. Note, since the spreading of the faith centuries ago, Saruk has taken no part in Umidian affairs. It is time for you to do the same.

Lastly, do not forget who you are. You may be a king, you may still be a king of a very powerful nation, but you are still the servant of the Divine- no matter what heritical version you follow. Do as the book instructs and the Divinity may yet look down upon your endavours with pleasure. Continnue your ignorant path and you shall surely fail. For the last word, we have no probelm with those who choose to follow a different faith as long as it is not derived from the corrupt iselanders- those who purposely harbor Tarrists within their borders are no friend of ours and shall be dutifly punished. Remember this warning next time you try to imprese your people- and remember what it may cost you.

To Savaria
From Saruk

Rest assured, we still consider a full alliance to be held between our peoples. Should any nation be ignorant to make war upon you, they will have more than they can handle to reckon with.

To Tamiliki
From Saruk

A condition of your indepence was the acceptance of your role as a vassal state. We hope this was just a misunderstanding....

Top Bottom