DNES2: War and Civilization

The skies were bright over the palace gardens. A virtual forest of exotic fauna and overwhelming beauty had been gathered here over the years, for those of the Royal Family to enjoy and to escape to from the overwhelming burdens that came from ruling.

For him, it was simply a place of serenity, filled with nostalgia that added to his peace as he quietly drank his tea. The harmony he had felt wit this place had not changed over the many years of his life, nor did he believe, that the magic it invoked would ever truly wane. Rustling from the grass told him that perhaps the garden was just getting started.

He turned around, smiling as he saw the little figure of his grandson staring back at him looking a bit more then annoyed. After giving a nod his grandson took the chair beside him, and then placed his head on the table in frustration.

Chuckling he patted the small boys head and decided to voice the question the boy was silently pleading for.

“What is it this time Xao-lan?”

The boy immediately picked up his head and launched into a frantic description of his predicament.

“Grandpa Kilik, Nobleman Aso’s daughter Tasi is always following me around!! She doesn’t leave me alone, I can’t go anywhere without her popping in to say hi!! The only reason I can even come here is because I made Pu-lan dress up like me!!!”

Surveying his clothes for the first time, Kilik finally noticed that his grandson wasn’t wearing the usual Royal attire. Instead he was decked out in plan brown cotton pants, a standard blue coat, and gray-vest along with a black linen melon cap to top it off.

Chuckling silently he placed his hand on top of his grandson and started to pat his head.

“She probably just likes you Xao-lan”
His reaction was immediate and intense.

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!”

Still patting his now thoroughly disgusted grandson on the head, Kilik decided to play out the roll of the elderly and paternal grandfather.

“You know Xao-lan, I remember a time when I was like you. It must be, what? Sixty years I believe. I was barely 4 years old when they introduced me to my destiny…”

60 years ago

“Kilik, would you come here for a moment?”

A young Kilik looked up from the scroll he had been deciphering, along with his puzzled tutor. The young masters studies had always been the forefront of his routine. No one was allowed to interrupt him at this time.

Of course, no one else was the current ruler of the thrown to Tian either.

So the tutor did as he was silently told by the stare in the current Khan’s eyes, bowing quickly and leaving the room for the two to use privately.

“Yes Uncle?” he asked cheerfully as the Khan took the seat formerly held by the dismissed tutor.

“Kilik, I have special guest coming to the capital soon. I’d like to introduce you to some of them when they arrived. Do you think that would be alright?”

Kilik looked at him pensively, and then cautiously nodded his head. It was a bit strange, even as a part of the royal family Kilik was not as important as his cousins were, so it was somewhat unusual to include him in front of a delegation of all people.

Three days passed after that meeting, and the whole capital was alive with festivities to bring in the New Year. At the same time a delegation from Ryakhi had also graced the streets of Aral Tiyu, embraced warmly by the people as they indulged in merriment and celebration. It was sometime before they eventually made it to the palace. Kilik was by the Khan’s side when they did.

The usual banter of cordial greeting was exchanged. Delegate after delegate came to bask in the Khan’s glory, and there seemed to be no end to them. After the 16th member of the delegation Kilik began to wonder why his uncle had wanted him there in the first place.

Then all of a sudden, a large, slightly chubby figure stepped out of the carriage, closely followed by a much smaller one. It took a moment for Kilik to recognize it was a little girl. She clung shyly behind the taller man, but followed him obediently towards them.
“Khan, it is good to see you again!” boomed the big man as he enveloped Kilik’s uncle in a hug.

The Khan simply smiled politely and let the big man currently crushing his bones continue until finally being put back onto the ground.

“I’m glad that your spirit and goodwill have not changed Ki’thal,” the Khan replied, then bent his head down to peer back at the little figure shyly looking back up to him. “And I assume this is your lovely daughter Raiya, am I correct?”

The little girl nodded shyly to answer in the affirmative.

He simply beamed back at her, then took an arm around her fathers shoulder and led him toward a private chamber, followed closely by the two munchkins, who kept a sharp distance from each other.

Three hours after a rather sumptuous meal, they were all kneeling down on their cushions enjoying tea, the Khan and Kilik on one side, Ki’thal and Raiya on the other.

While the Khan and Ki’thal were having an animated discussion of recent developments with the rest of the world, Kilik was focused in his own world as he studied Raiya, who was desperately looking anywhere except at him. He could tell she was nervous, but that didn’t make him stop staring. Too confused about what exactly was going on he focused on his counterpart who he believed was somehow involved in whatever his uncle was dragging him into.

His examinations proved unnecessary though, because his uncle had decided then to finally shed some light on what was going on.

“Kilik, relations between ourselves and the kingdom of Ryakhi have been exceptional these last few years, and after careful negotiation, Ki’thal and myself have come to an agreement as how to seal this partnership permanently.”

The uneasy feeling Kilik had been having the whole night came back in force. Raiya simply stared at the floor, trying to avoid meeting anyone’s eyes.

“As my nephew, and as Ki’thal’s daughter, we have decided the two of you will be married, in order to act as a living symbol of our two countries union, and to integrate both Royal Families noble bloodlines together.

He should have been expecting it, it was only natural really, and it was how most agreements were settled these days. Still, he couldn’t help but feel as though he had been caught completely off guard. Yet the prospect of marrying someone he didn’t know, might have contributed to his surprise.

Eventually, Kilik’s uncle and Raiya’s father gave the two some privacy out in the Royal Gardens while they discussed important matters abroad and finalized the agreement.

They stood across each other along a grassy clearing in the arboretum, casting shy and hesitant glances toward one another. A strong wind blew then, gracefully lifting Raiya’s shoulder-length hair, catching Kilik’s attention and making him notice for the first time how… cute she looked. He quickly shook his head of that intruding thought. Noticing how quiet and reserved they had been with each other, he felt that he should make an effort to get to know her.

“Uh, so uhmm… Raiya was it?” She nodded her head in acknowledgement. “Yeah… uhmmm… want to play a game?”

She looked a bit shocked at his suggestion, and he was half-expecting her to refuse. But she decided to surprise him as well, nodding a little hesitantly. He beamed when she did.

“Great, hey c’mon I know this really cool place just up ahead,” he said eagerly, grabbing her arm and pulling her along. They prowled through the thick fauna for sometime, until they reached a small, man-made river inside the compound. Still excited at being able to show off his secret spot, Kilik continued to pull Raiya along until they came upon a huge tree just on the river bank, overlooking everything. Raiya seemed a bit intimidated at first, but with a little encouragement, Kilik got her to follow him up. Making sure to be especially careful they made their way up to the very top. When they finally reached his spot, he grabbed her hand, while brushing away some of the branches in front of them with the other one, and guided her along to through to what was possibly one of the most beautiful images she had ever seen.

Before their eyes lay the virtual forest that made up the entire garden, Exotic plants, and a coordinated pattern of trees and fauna, brought together into a vast arrangement of color and nature, bathed under the bright starlight from the night sky. Taking in the gorgeous view they had, Kilik barely noticed that Raiya was clinging onto his robe, her small frame leaning into his as they continued to watch.

“And then what happened grandpa?” asked an awed Xao-lan.

Kilik simply smiled at his now eagerly attentive grandson. “I think it best we leave that for another time. You seem to have company, my boy,” he said, nodding behind Xao-lan’s puzzled form. At once, a horrified revelation registered on the boys face as he slowly turned to see the bane of his existence, impatiently tapping her foot.

“There you are Xao-lan, I’ve been looking all over for you! Your idiot servant led me all over the palace before I finally caught and beat the snot out of him,” cried Tasi as she made to grab Xao-lan in a hug.

Xao-lan yelped, slipping out of her reach and ducking under the table, then coming out the other side and running for his life into the garden interior, closely followed by a gleeful Tasi who thought they were playing tag.

Kilik simply chuckled to himself as he watched them leave, musing a little more about the past, then finally went back to drinking his tea.​

OCC: Man this story took me awhile. As you can guess, this’ll probably be a two-part piece. So stay tuned for more. And daft, when is the update? :p

Looks like an awesome story! I'll read it when im offline later

Update is tommorrow definately.

Viva la daft!! :D

Heil updates!! :salute:

Viva la daft!! :D

Heil updates!! :salute:

Using French and German at the same time? My my, what would the Frenchman say about that krimzon :mischief:

Daft doesn't need anyone to acknowledge his Greatness since Everyone Knows of His Greatness that all the Heavens and the Stars Bask in Eternal Light from them. ;)

Daft Is Greatness Beyond Mortal Comprehension :scan:

OOC: It didn't seem to have had any effect on you in LINESII so I improved :p

Update ETA = within 4 hours

You might understand when you see the size and complexity of this thing. Its got even bigger than last time! I realise for the sake of this NES I really need to stop making them so big...

I KNEW IT!!! PANGA AND ORMASH INVADED THE TAEJ EMPIRE! :mischief:

Okay, maybe I didn't really see that coming ;)

Soooo had any new medication lately alex? ;) I can recommed some myself personally as I am well aware of the signs of paranoia, and general madness. Lord knows your Taej subjects will probably need it if you keep this up :rolleyes:

By the way, when do I get into the region spotlight, this turn maybe? :D

Krimzon, you won't believe how many times my paranoia saved me :p Really, it's better to have a ruler paranoid about external enemies then one who isn't ;)

Personally speaking, I think the Antalese Empire should get the update :cool:

I KNEW IT!!! PANGA AND ORMASH INVADED THE TAEJ EMPIRE! :mischief:

Okay, maybe I didn't really see that coming ;)

Probably before the Thulean delegation to your big party go there...

"Was it a thousand leagues east of new Panga or five hundred west? This map is crudely drawn at best"
"Well I did my best, I was pretty young at the time on the last trip"
"That explains why it was drawn in crayon"
"Yeah, ooo I need the toilet!"
"You should have gone before we left, you'll get no sympathy from me"
"That was eight months ago!"

Map in question, toilets not shown

Hah. You're kidding me. I know- after the many times of chiding me for it- that alex isn't admitting common knowdlge (that a touch of paranoia is good for the soul ;). )

I'm just saying, stuff like that is why he ends up with over a million people dead :D If your bloody well built, then quit worrying about somebody picking a fight with you and instead worry about keeping your body fit! Analogy's are wonderful, don't you think ;)

Another thing, he wouldn't need to worry about being attacked so much if he was actually nice to the people around him :lol: Or he wouldn't worry at all if you know what I mean :mischief: Whichever comes first :p

OOC: Those people were already rebelling against me :p That has nothing to do with paranoia but proven facts ;) And really, the Taej Empire can take on Tian one vs on and still win at this rate :mischief:

OCC: Oh yeah, count the numbers my friend, one on one I have the bigger army, so I'd think again if I were you ;)

OCC: Oh yeah, count the numbers my friend, one on one I have the bigger army, so I'd think again if I were you ;)

OOC: Heh, if size is all that matters then China wouldn't have lost to the Europeans in the 19th Century :p Half your army is made up of obsolete cavalry to begin with :lol:

Top Bottom