FFH Promo Video

Jupei

Chieftain
Greetings fellow FFH'ers!

I happen to be so blown away by this mod, I decided to dust off the old amateur machinima skills and cut a promo vid of sorts for it!

I was going to go ahead and post it on youTube but I figured I should get dev/community approval before going THAT global with it.

Anyways, I have a pretty good deal with my webhost but please be try to be gentle with my bandwidth and only download 1 copy.. thanks! I'll post 3 different sizes for the folks with slower connections. They are all in WMV format, and as long as you're running a copy of windows from this decade you're probably good to go.

This was only a first cut / first attempt, so I'll post my own self criticisms in a spoiler box below. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up making some more of these really soon. Enjoy!

[most likely you will wanna do the 'right click and save as' deal]

16.8 MB Cut
21.7 MB Cut
32.0 MB Cut

Spoiler :
Hope you enjoyed it! :D

1. The Music/Audio

a) The music is lifted from the game ninety-nine nights for the 360, and its not the most stellar rip. I spent like an hour trying to pipe my 360's output into my PC every which way I could (I even fed it through my guitar amp!) and it always came out horribly overmodulated--so instead this is just ripped from a promo I found on IGN or something like that. Still I think the song is a pretty good fit.

b) All of the "SCHWING!" sound effects were actually from the original NNN video, I did my best to at least make the FFH shots choreograph somewhat, but its hit or miss.

2. Language/Typography:

a) I don't know if all my feature claims are perfect as far as figures go. That would be up to the devs to tell me technically how many new units there are for example (I stopped counting at like 150 and I was only up to the G's) I also left out/couldn't fit some important points like all new (and important) religions, that all the civs are very unique with their own strategies for victory, etc. My bad, I don't work for a marketing firm, See point B.

b) I'm not a writer by any means, and like most people under 25, my imagination is pretty much completely gone thanks to TV, Movies and Video games so god help me to come up with anything very interesting or non-cliche on my own.

c) Its a little cluttered, and obscures some of the action, but when you're working with such a small screen as something that could be potentially on youTube, your options are limited. Any smaller and it would be very hard to read and then VERY distracting IMO.

d) I probably should have stuck a link in there, but I figured http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1 would be a little cramped, and I'd have to leave it up there for about 90 secs for people to be able to copy it down, See bullet point c. Has anybody bothered to do, like a tinyurl or some kind of redirector for the download page?

3. Good & Evil
I know all you bloodsucking vampires out there are gonna say "Hey whats the deal with lopsided representation of good and evil civs?!" Well, the truth is, recording Civ isn't exactly like taping world of warcraft--Its not very often you capture anything thats particularly visually stunning, or "reads" well at all when you compress it down for distribution. In fact, setting up and recording the shots probably took longer than the editing, so I just recorded some snippets from a few game sessions and set up a couple shots in the builder. Better luck next version.

4. AC
I need to re-do/clean up the armageddon counter effect at the end. I had something like that in mind the whole time I was making it, and wasn't sure if I was even able to pull it off. The very first technique I fooled around with to create the effect, wasn't half bad, so I just slapped it in there and called it a night. If I only I had some official high resolution textures to begin with. HMM! :rolleyes:

I've always fantasized about making wicked videos like this. Congratulations on making a really wicked video.

I wonder if my girlfriend would be too upset if I woke her up to watch it...

- Niilo

oh my god that was better than i could have imagined. only thing that bothered me though that the interface was showing all the time and sound quality was a little too compressed :)

Great job. :goodjob:

That is truly an amazing first cut man. It makes me want to play again!

And I saw my old archmage skin in the beginning. :p

That is awesome work! Just like Woodelf said its so good it makes me want to start up a new game. Feel free to youtube it or distribute it hwoever you like but I would use the link Nikis-Knight suggested.

Amazing work, I hope you don't mind if I link to it in the major FfH threads. I can host all of them so you dont use up all your bandwidth.

Attached is a high quality version of the FfH symbol. Let me know if you prefer it in a different format.

Attachments

• ffhsymbol.jpg
    ffhsymbol.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 179
only thing that bothered me though that the interface was showing all the time and sound quality was a little too compressed :)

Agreed, like I said in my self criticism it wasn't a perfect rip of that audio piece, but it was the best I could find. :blush: If anybody's got a better recording out there of that intro from NNN, please let me know!!

Here is a link to use that is less cluttered
www.civfanatics.com/ffh2/
Also, some battle shots could be zoomed in a little more.
A couple good evil shots might be an eater of souls summoning a bunch of Balors/Chaos beasts, etc., and A vampire feasting on a large city.

OK cool! even "civfanatics.com/ffh2" without the 'http://www' seems to work, that will be nice and clean for the re-edit--I will check out those units, I pretty much only play good or neutral but I've only been playing for about 10 days now. :D A request for more suggestions, including dazzling magic effects would be good too. I mainly stick to physical combat oriented civs since I'm still a nub.

As for zooming in more, the angles of all the battles were the default zoom that civ4 does during a battle, its a toss up between letting it do the automatic one, and disabling the combat zoom and trying to line up shots myself, I will try out both. Also, my video capturer does not allow me to just snip a smaller dimension (higher res) portion of the frame, but I know of some that will. Sometimes combining footage from 2 different apps can look cheap though, but I think you're right. My wife is not really a hardcore civ player and her first reaction was "the fights should be zoomed in more!" and I said, hey, its civ, not wow, everything is pretty tiny all time...

That is awesome work! Just like Woodelf said its so good it makes me want to start up a new game. Feel free to youtube it or distribute it hwoever you like but I would use the link Nikis-Knight suggested.

Amazing work, I hope you don't mind if I link to it in the major FfH threads.

I think I will most likely do 1 re cut either this weekend or during this week, tighten it up a little bit and then upload it to youtube. Its a real harsh crowd over there they will demand perfection! :p Of course, you octopus overlords can link it wherever, or do whatever you want with it!!

Attached is a high quality version of the FfH symbol. Let me know if you prefer it in a different format.

Oh wow, yes, that is excellent. I basically grabbed mine from a snapshot of the first "the AC counter is moving" in-game pop up. :mischief: This, will do nicely.

I edited my above post to offer to host for you if you would prefer and provide a higher resolution version of the symbol.

Honestly, after it was done I wished it were 20-30 minutes. It's better than any TV show. My wife loved it btw.

Thanks for all the great feedback folks. This was essentially just a 'proof of concept' for me to see if this could even be recorded well and how it would look as a finished product. When I do the re-shoot/re-edit, I will actually have a plan in mind, so it should be great in the end.

As for language/typography, since I've got your attention kael et al, what all would you guys want it to say? I tried to stay true to the lore and stuff Kael posted on This Thread, but as for the figures like 'hundreds of new units' I pretty much guessed or pulled out of my arse. I know its rapidly changing, but does there exist such a document that summarizes with facts and figures how massive the mod actually is? I was scouring around for something with actual unit counts and spell promotions, and the like.

Well I'm not sure about the numbers, but I think one thing that would be cool would to like actually show a large scale battle between good and evil at one point. What I mean is like set up a bunch of good units (malakim knights are a perfect example) and then show them being blessed and then attacking swarms of demons. Then show it from the other side and have a ritualist blast them and then some other evil units (vamps, eastesr of dreams, Mardero) all attack.
Dunno, just think that would be cool.

btw I'll admit I watched the video several times.

Top Bottom