Should It Be Legal To Homeschool Your Child That The Holocaust Never Happened?

Should It Be Legal To Homeschool Your Child That The Holocaust Never Happened?

• Total voters

Pontiuth Pilate

Republican Jesus!
Simple question.

This goes to the heart of the homeschooling debate in the other thread, basically the question is - do parents have a right to grievously miseducate their children? i.e. teach them Young Earth Creationism, or that pi is actually 3, etc?

Simple question.

This goes to the heart of the homeschooling debate in the other thread, basically the question is - do parents have a right to grievously miseducate their children? i.e. teach them Young Earth Creationism, or that pi is actually 3, etc?

I'm not going to touch the young earth creationism one. That's a religious issue and you'd catch hell trying to prevent people from teaching that if they want. Besides, can you absolutely prove beyond a doubt that God didn't set up the earth, all the fossils, and so forth to LOOK like it's billions of years old as a test of faith, while in reality it is indeed only 6000+ years old? (no, I don't believe that, btw).

As far as Pi and the Holocaust, that is pure math and documented history. There should be standards, of course, that have to be met.

No, visit the Anne Frank museum in Amsterdam.

Yes.
In a capitalistic society, there need to be those who have to end up working in Burger King.

There are people who say that the Holocaust never happened, or the moon landings, or what have you. Not often (sometimes) religiously motivated in their claims, but I don;t think we can suppress the teaching of even ridiculous claims.

Wow that is a tough one. I voted no but what I mean is that you can teach that but the the kids need to be tested to have a valid education credential. So if it is on the test they better know the factual answer. Same goes for evolution. You can teach that it's wrong but you will get tested on it and if you don't give the right answer well you better do well on the rest of the test if you want a diploma.

seriously, the social penalties of teaching your child, or not teaching your child this would far outweigh the good they would receive. same for young earth creationism, etc etc. is your child really better prepared to enter the collegiate world teaching them religious or conspiratorial beliefs in a society where they are mocked and contrary to possible career paths? teach your children at their peril.

It's sad, but probably "yes". How would it be much different than homeschooling your child that the universe has an age of 6000?

I think people should know these facts, but how often does these facts affect someone from doing 99% of the jobs out there? I could see knowing Pi is important in some technical fields, but knowing about evolution and the holocaust isn't going to affect someone's job performance in over 99% of the jobs out there.

There should be standards, of course, that have to be met.

The irony of someone saying that more "standards" have to be met in history than in science is probably totally lost on you, huh? :|

I don;t think we can suppress the teaching of even ridiculous claims.

Well certainly that is the case if one adopts the standard of "Nothing a parent teaches his or her child can ever constitute child abuse" which was evident in the other thread.

This thread is kind of a proof by contradiction.

what I mean is that you can teach that but the the kids need to be tested to have a valid education credential. So if it is on the test they better know the factual answer. Same goes for evolution. You can teach that it's wrong but you will get tested on it and if you don't give the right answer well you better do well on the rest of the test if you want a diploma.

I like this answer.

I think people should know these facts, but how often does these facts affect someone from doing 99% of the jobs out there? I could see knowing Pi is important in some technical fields, but knowing about evolution and the holocaust isn't going to affect someone's job performance in over 99% of the jobs out there.
If they go around spouting that garbage at work, I don't see how they ever would get a promotion in 99% of the workplaces out there.

How about teaching them there is no such thing as child sexual abuse? (I'm trying to make a point, not actually suggesting it!)

how often does these facts affect someone from doing 99% of the jobs out there?

All of us have a second fulltime job, it's called being good citizens.

Someone who believes the Joooos made up the Holocaust - I have a hard time believing they could be a good citizen and make good voting choices.

Similarly, how can someone judge science policy issues wisely and fairly if they've been misinformed since childhood?

Top Bottom