Should It Be Legal To Homeschool Your Child That The Holocaust Never Happened?

Should It Be Legal To Homeschool Your Child That The Holocaust Never Happened?

• Total voters
No. Intentional educational misdirection is not something we should tolerate in any school, including a "school at home". However, if the parents were to simply tell their children that the Holocaust never happened (out of the context of homeschooling), that should be legal.

@ Yuri2356. ahhh ok,. but where did anyone say that home school cuts out the experts? I didn't say that. I read this thread and no one else said that. But I did read a lot of people who said that is way off base.
I suppose that parents could get at the same textbooks and sources easily, but wouldn't you agree that a parent's lack of knowledge in some fields would have a negative impact on their ability to teach? (The same could be said of an incompetant teacher, but whent he system is working properly they tend to either improve or be replaced)

But PP's statement was one of a person being "automatically suspect" because he was homeschooling.

how it is not wrong to moral wrong to "automatically suspect" someone just on the bases of them being home schooled?

Dude, stereotype like that are bad? Or am I missing something?
The phrasing may be coming off as a bit extreme.

We've established earlier that the decision to homeschool tends to come from either a percieved inadequacy of the local schools, or a conflict between the beleifs of the parents and the carriculum. In the case of the latter, I'd be suspicious of how the kid turned out. In the former, much less so. I'd need to see some statistics on how common either of these are before making a broader statement.

Have you ever watched videos of the bodies being piled up?
Know anyone who lost family in the holocaust?

I did. Sure, I wasnt alive then, but my family would be much larger (2/11 kids on one side of the family survived) without it. So not only those 9 immediate, and the countless cousins, but if those 9 had 2 kids each, and they had two, thats 63 family members I dont have because of the holocaust.

on ONE side of the family (and I could subdivide further, but wont go into it)

Yes, it should.

No. Intentional educational misdirection is not something we should tolerate in any school, including a "school at home". However, if the parents were to simply tell their children that the Holocaust never happened (out of the context of homeschooling), that should be legal.
I suppose that the "teachers" "teaching" that the Holocaust never happened would actually believe in this claim (otherwise what's the point of teaching that?). As such, it cannot be considered intentional misdirection.

How is this not outright bigotry?

You would think that the way Jews were automatically suspect of many thing and how it lead to the holocaust, that history would teach you that words like that are bad.

Hey, guys, do me a favor, and save your faux OH NOES WE'RE BEING OPPRESSED! IT'S JUST LIKE THE JEWS! for a time when it actually counts, ok?

Trying very hard to keep my response to the above ^ civil, and boy is it hard.

Making sure that kids who will grow up AND VOTE are actually getting educated with real facts instead of growing up as thick as their parents, is not "outright bigotry," and people who claim it is are making a mockery of the actual victims of bigotry.

Never having actually been oppressed, I guess they're just dying to be victimized. :rolleyes: Or at least pretend (fantasize?) about how oppressed they are.

Boo frickin hoo.

So, you are racially a jew.

There's no such thing as a Jewish race. There are Jews in many ethnicities.

Do you practice the Jewish faith?

No. Judaism and Jewish identity are not the same thing.

Because you talk more like an atheist to be honest

Wrong again; I am a theist.

There's no such thing as a Jewish race. There are Jews in many ethnicities.

Errrrr. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew

Jews (Hebrew: יְהוּדִים, Yehudim; Ladino ג׳ודיוס, Djudios; Yiddish: ייִדן, Yidn)[1] are members of the Jewish people, an ethnic group originating in the Israelites of the ancient Middle East and others who converted to Judaism throughout the millennia. The ethnicity and the religion of Judaism are strongly interrelated, and converts are both included and have been absorbed within the Jewish people.

So, again I ask, are you merely ethnically a jew, or religiously a jew?

No. Judaism and Jewish identity are not the same thing.

But they are 'strongly interrelated'.

Wrong again; I am a theist.

So you dont practice Judaism.

I repeat, there is no single "Jewish ethnicity," there are Jews who are Polish, German, Russian, etc. (called "Ashkenazis" as a group), there are Jews who are North African, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Latin American (called "Sephardim"), there are Jews in Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Israel and Egypt (called "Mizrahim"), and people from these three groups share about as much "ethnically" as three people from Holland, Syria and Poland do. Additionally there are other small groups such as the Black Jews of Saharan Africa, as well as Jews in India and even China who are ethnically Indian and Asian yet are not converts, they have simply been in those countries for a long time.

I am Sephardic with Dutch and Tunisian ancestry, I don't write "Jewish" down for my ethnicity, I write "White" cuz that's what I look like.

Anyway, please stop MobBossing the thread, let's get back on topic.

I suppose that the "teachers" "teaching" that the Holocaust never happened would actually believe in this claim (otherwise what's the point of teaching that?). As such, it cannot be considered intentional misdirection.

Certainly not necessarily. Many Holocaust deniers actually believe that the Holocaust happened but would like for the world to think it didn't.

In any case, there should be standards of education even for home schooling about what must (or must not) be taught. However, I don't see the absolute necessity of the Holocaust being taught in home schooling.

Hey, guys, do me a favor, and save your faux OH NOES WE'RE BEING OPPRESSED! IT'S JUST LIKE THE JEWS! for a time when it actually counts, ok?

Trying very hard to keep my response to the above ^ civil, and boy is it hard.

Making sure that kids who will grow up AND VOTE are actually getting educated with real facts instead of growing up as thick as their parents, is not "outright bigotry," and people who claim it is are making a mockery of the actual victims of bigotry.

Never having actually been oppressed, I guess they're just dying to be victimized. :rolleyes: Or at least pretend (fantasize?) about how oppressed they are.

Boo frickin hoo.
I dont mean to cause incivility, but you never answered the question.

In spite of many counterexamples here in the thread, you lump all home schooled children as the product of (attempted at least) brainwashing, presumably for religious reasons. You call the parents abusers, and call the children "victimized" and "oppressed." Nowher, at least where I have seen, do you substantiate this vile language with anything resembling a reasoned argument or solid data.

Random House Dictionary said:
big·ot [big-uht]
–noun a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

This seems to fit your attitude, including the last statement quoted here, to a T.

J

Top Bottom