Civ IV and Leopard share your experiences

Mumster

Chieftain
I have it going and it seems a little faster. I still have the "black ice" bug and the app crahes on me quite a bit. Just as it did in TIger. No difference. I have the latest patches.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro2,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP21.007F.B06
SMC Version: 1.15f3
ATI Radeon X1900

My Powerbook G4 1.33 with 1.25M Ram is doing much better after the upgrade!

Previously Warlords would run, but with buggy graphics (random shapes appearing on the screen, which would go away when I switched the view options off & back on). Now it is shockingly smooth in comparison, though I haven't made it to an end-game yet (no fault of the computer).

This computer wasn't supposed to be able to run it at all, so I'm extra-happy with the upgrade.

Cyberhippy

My Powerbook G4 1.33 with 1.25M Ram is doing much better after the upgrade!

Previously Warlords would run, but with buggy graphics (random shapes appearing on the screen, which would go away when I switched the view options off & back on). Now it is shockingly smooth in comparison, though I haven't made it to an end-game yet (no fault of the computer).

This computer wasn't supposed to be able to run it at all, so I'm extra-happy with the upgrade.

Cyberhippy

That's good to know, I have a G5 and the same powerbook as you. Cool! Now I can take it on trips and play (though I will probably stick to smaller map sizes anyway).

Looks like the patch won't work with my setup either. I'm running the following:

iMac G5 2.1 GHz
1GB RAM
OS 10.5 (build 9A581)

Tried moving the Civ folder to multiple locations, but no go. It even gives me the option to select the item to upgrade, but then has the Civ IV application icon grayed out in the open dialogue. What gives?

I've raised a ticket with Aspyr on the problems with the installers in Leopard. Their response was:

Aspyre Support said:
Unfortunately, this game was not developed for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). Games that were developed for a previous Mac OS, as this one was, may have problems running on Mac OS X 10.5. Unlike PC operating systems, the Macintosh operating systems have video card driver and other updates built in, and this can cause problems we cannot immediately fix.

Thus, this game is not supported on OS 10.5. Nevertheless, we will be working diligently with Apple to get these issues resolved as quickly as possible. Please keep in mind that there are some things that can only be fixed by Apple, and we will be in direct contact with them to fix the issues that can be fixed.
I wrote back pointing out that the games run fine in Leopard, patched or unpatched. It's just the installers that fail.

There are various workrounds. One is to install everything on a Tiger system then migrate it across to Leopard using the migration assistant - that is what I did.

Another is to network a Tiger Mac to the Leopard Mac and share the Leopard disk. Run the installer on the Tiger system and choose the Leopard Civ4 installation.

I proposed an extreme solution in this thread, involving hand-installing the patched files by extracting them from the Aspyr installer using Pacifist.

A new response from Aspyr. They've obviously investigated now. See this post for the full details. Bottom line is the installers will run if they are first copied out of the disk image onto your desktop. Don't run them from within the disk image.

Hello all, is anyone else getting this. Civ IV starts fine and seems to work however none of my settings are saved. When Civ IV starts, it is always with the default/lowest settings even when I change them.
It makes no difference to have a patched version or unpatched verison. And it is the same for both Civ IV Classic and CivIV Warlords.

Just tried to create a new user to try it, no change.

It was working fine under Tiger.
I have a new install of Leopard.

Any Suggestions?
Q

Yeah, the 174 patch (at least) won't install on Leopard so you are stuck with the release version if you didn't upgrade with Civ IV already installed.

This game release never seizes to amaze me, and you know what I mean... :rolleyes:

Edit: I didn't notice the instructions above. Yes, it seems you can install the patch after all.

Hello all, is anyone else getting this. Civ IV starts fine and seems to work however none of my settings are saved. When Civ IV starts, it is always with the default/lowest settings even when I change them.
It makes no difference to have a patched version or unpatched verison. And it is the same for both Civ IV Classic and CivIV Warlords.

Just tried to create a new user to try it, no change.

It was working fine under Tiger.
I have a new install of Leopard.

Any Suggestions?
Q

1. Where is Civ4 installed?

2. I know it's the same old voodoo, but have you tried Repair Permissions using /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility?

I bought a MBP on the day Leopard came out, along with Civ IV. The book actually came with 10.4 installed on it, and I upgraded with the drop-in upgrade discs that came with it.
After installing Civ IV I noticed that I had the "Cheshire Cat" bug, I'm able to see stars on the other side of the world when I zoom out to globe view. It didn't go away when I upgraded to 1.74, and I wonder if it's a permanent fixture--having to do with video hardware.
After one long session, I also experienced the black land and music choppiness that others have reported.
I'm sorry I can't vouch for this being a Leopard issue or a hardware issue, since I really don't feel like downgrading--this isn't Vista, but it is annoying, and I haven't been able to find any more reports of it since Oct 2005, and naturally, only on PCs.

Runs great on my MacPro...except the enemy will not build tanks, modern armor, or battleships!!!!!! RUNIED THE WHOLE GAME!!!!!

(yes, they have the requsite resources)

Runs great on my MacPro...except the enemy will not build tanks, modern armor, or battleships!!!!!! RUNIED THE WHOLE GAME!!!!!

(yes, they have the requsite resources)
Wait a minute... did you not post an entry in another thread asking how to do just that? Prevent technology from advancing past the medieval era?

If you've modified the game, remove the mod. If you modified the core files, re-install.

Hi,

My experiennce with Leapord is pretty good.

I migrated the patched version from my old Mac. Then, I was up and running and everything was great. Graphics resoiultion was better and performance was up. Then, after a day or so, it started acting dog slow. Oh no. Anyway, bringing up the activity monitor, it showed that only 600MB of memory was free. I have 2GB!! So, looing at all the processes running, there were tons of 'HP IO Trap Monitor' processes that had spawned and re-spawned. Killing those freed up more memory. Then, re-started the machine and it had about 1.2GB free. Found out that these HP IO trap monitor thingys were having a problem (error message pops up) and then re-spawning. So, killing them after a re-start and everything is fine again.

Sent a report to Apple about the HP IO Trap Monitor thing, but Civ IV is running beautifully right now.

Morale of the story: If Civ IV is running slower than you think it should be, use the Activity Monitor to try and figure out what's going on.

Cheers.

Well I've just upgraded from a 1.67GHZ Powerbook with 1.5 GB Ram playing Civ IV on mostly Duel or Tiny maps with very little detail to buying a new iMac yesterday with a 2.8GHZ processor and 2 GB of Ram and it runs like a greasy pig (after the patch to 1.74 mind you). The little things, all the animations are what I've noticed the most with my upgrade, but it's extremely smooth and it feels like a real game now.

Now just for Warlords...

(I know it isn;t about Leopard as such, I haven't had any issues that haven't been solved by the vanilla 1.74 patch).

This is such a pain in the ass. I can't install this, it keeps telling me to insert the original disk. My original disk was destroyed in 2007 so I just have this downloaded image. Is there a straight forward way to mount this image or if I burn it and insert that would that make a difference? I'm on 10.6.1

Welcome :wavey:

The requirement to use a disk is an anti-piracy measure, so we do not permit discussion of ways around it on these forums. If you have lost or destroyed the disk then you'll have to contact Aspyr for a replacement, giving them proof or your original purchase.

I realize this thread is a little old but I haven't been able to find an answer to my problem elsewhere and I'm hoping someone can help.

The issue I'm having is with sound effects. Music plays fine (in game and in menu); wonder music plays; I get Leonard's narrations on the tech tree :) but I can't get any other sound effects :( Not when a building is complete, not when I click on a unit, not when I open the city screen, nor when I engage in battle. On the very odd occasion I get an abrupt 'half play' of a sound file for certain events (globe circumnavigation, capture of a city) but nothing else.

I have consulted Dr Google but alas to no avail. Such is the desperation that would you believe in all my years of playing civs 1 - 4 for the very first time **ever** I played an entire game without so much as attacking a single unit of another Civ. Not even once. In the whole game. Disgusting, I know. For the record I had a cultural victory in that game :) I would like to come to my senses and trample other civs underfoot...but without sound it just isn't the same.

I'm running Leopard on a Macbook 4,1. The game loads and runs ok aside from the sound issue. There's been the odd graphics glitch but nothing that didn't resolve itself after a save/reload. I'm running v1.61 of the game.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

I can understand why you might run an old version of Mac OS X, since upgrades cost money. But you can, and should, upgrade Civ4 to the current version, 1.74. I have no idea whether it will fix your sound issues, but it has to be worth a try.

Top Bottom