Experiment 626's TDG2 or 'Pinky and The Brain take over the world!'

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls: At long last, the 2nd Solo TDG is about ready to officially begin.

The game (as always) is [c3c] v.1.22. This will also be my first attempt at the :bowdown: HoF. I will be attempting a Conquest Victory, Regent level, Pangaea map.

Firstly, I used MapFinder to find a suitable starting point.

Here is the RuleSet that I used for MapFinder:

AND Rivers>3
AND Food Bonus>1
AND Bonus Grassland>2
AND Forest>0
AND Marsh=0
AND Jungle=0
AND Desert=0
AND Flood Plains=0
AND Tundra=0
AND Coast=0
AND Hill<2
AND Mountain=0​

To see all four of the possible starting positions and experience the Pre-Game show (and all of the silliness therein), check out Experiment 626's Japanese Pre-Game Thread

Secondly, without further ado-whacka-doo, some SCREENIES! All screenies resized to save bandwidth . . .

The World:

Player Setup:

Information for the (hopefully soon-to-be) loyal readers:

If you read this and get confused, click on and read the Pre-Game thread in the above post. Hopefully, that'll clear things up. In a nutshell, I played the first 21 turns of all 4 saves. I wrote and posted the first Journal Entry of each save. If The Brain makes reference to repeating himself, it's because he said the exact same thing in a previous save's Journal.

All of Pinky's lines are in quotes, the rest belong to The Brain.

Journal Entry 1

4000 BC:

Our Settler moves SE.

Our Worker (dubbed &#8216;Yakko&#8217;) begins a Road.

IBT: &#8220;Poit!&#8221;​

3950 BC:

Kyoto is founded. Why do I have the eerie feeling that I&#8217;m repeating myself?

&#8220;Maybe it was the burrito you ate for lunch, Brain. NARF!&#8221;

(The Brain sighs wearily) Just beyond our borders, I can see a village to the SE and some Cattle to the NE.

&#8220;Brain, do people live in that village?&#8221;

I don&#8217;t know, Pinky. We&#8217;ll have to wait and see.

&#8220;I hope that there are, Brain.&#8221;

I dread asking this question, but why do you hope there are people living in the village, Pinky?

&#8220;Because I just love Village People! Y-M-C-A!&#8221;

Don&#8217;t make me hurt you, Pinky!

Back on subject, my loyal subject is currently working the Forest that has Deer in it.

IBT:

The Science Advisor wants some revenue for research as well as orders as to what to research. I allocate 80% of all revenue to the Science Department and tell them to research Pottery. He begins to tell me how long it will take, but stops and looks confused as if he&#8217;d already told me.​

3900 BC:

(Pinky continues to hum Y-M-C-A)

Pinky, if you hum just one more note of that song, I will be forced to hurt you very badly!

IBT: Yakko finishes the Road.​

3850 BC: Yakko begins a Mine.

3800 BC: &#8220;Poit!&#8221;

IBT: Kyoto builds a Warrior! (YES!) I shall call him &#8216;Ooga&#8217;. Another Warrior is ordered as I ponder where I&#8217;ve heard that name.​

3750 BC:

Ooga moves S towards a Mountain to the SE. I have ordered him not to enter the Village.

3700 BC:

Ooga goes SE. He keeps an eye on the Village as he goes past. Good man!

3650 BC:

Ooga climbs the mountains, and sees some Cattle and a herd of HORSES! (YES!)

IBT: &#8220;Poit!&#8221;

Pinky, why do you keep saying that?

&#8220;You told me not to say &#8216;NARF!&#8217;, and I&#8217;ve only said it once this whole time, so I&#8217;m saying &#8216;Poit!&#8217; instead!&#8221;

When did I tell you that, Pinky?

&#8220;I don&#8217;t remember, Brain, but you did say it.&#8221;

Odd that I don&#8217;t recall saying that. Well, no matter.​

3600 BC:

Ooga moves S to some Hills.

IBT:

Kyoto completes another Warrior whom I shall call &#8216;Booga&#8217;.

Yakko finishes the mine. Now that the mine is finished, I move my loyal subject to work the mine so I collect one more Gold per turn.​

3550 BC:

Booga heads W.
Ooga moves SW to more Hills.

I order Yakko to begin building a Road towards the Horses. He moves SE to comply.

IBT: &#8220;Poit!&#8221;

Pinky, please! You&#8217;re giving me a headache.

&#8220;Sorry, Brain!&#8221;​

3500 BC:

Ooga heads S.
Booga heads W.

Yakko begins a Road.

IBT:

The Cultural Advisor pops in, and gives me some good news and bad news.​

&#8220;Oh, no, Brain! Yakko is surrounded! What&#8217;ll we do?!!&#8221;
Pray, Pinky! It&#8217;s all we can do!​

3450 BC:

Ooga heads W to some more Hills.
Booga heads back to Kyoto, but I fear that he will be too late to save poor Yakko.

IBT:

Yakko is killed where he stands!

&#8220;Eww! That looked painful, Brain.&#8221;

Indeed, Pinky.

Kyoto builds a Warrior dubbed &#8216;Ugga&#8217;. Another Warrior is ordered. It&#8217;s dangerous out there!​

3400 BC:

Ugga attacks the Ainu Conscript that butchered poor Yakko. He is victorious and is promoted to Veteran for his efforts, but he suffers a wound in the battle.
Ooga appears to be in a range of Hills. He heads S.

Kyoto&#8217;s production is switched from Warrior to Worker.

IBT:

(Pinky whispers) &#8220;Poit!&#8221;

Odd that the other Ainu are just sitting there. They&#8217;re not attacking or moving! They&#8217;re just sitting there.

&#8220;Maybe they have diarrhea, Brain. When I have diarrhea, all I want to do to sit!&#8221;

Pinky, that has to be beyond the shadow of any doubt the single most disgusting sentence that I have ever heard you utter! On a side note, I thank you for using the word &#8216;sit&#8217; in that sentence.

&#8220;Why, Brain? What other word could I have used there?&#8221;

Never mind, Pinky.​

3350 BC:

Ooga heads E.
Booga goes SE.
Ugga attacks an Ainu Conscript! He is victorious without suffering any further wounds. Sadly, he remains a Veteran.

IBT:

&#8220;Poit!&#8221;

&#8220;Umm, Brain?&#8221;

Yes, Pinky?

&#8220;I&#8217;ve been wracking my brain, but I still can&#8217;t figure out what other word that I could have used in that sentence!&#8221;

Pinky? Drop it! I beg of you!

&#8220;Can I keep thinking about it?&#8221;

(Sighs) Only if the hamster doesn&#8217;t fall off the hamster wheel in your mind, Pinky.​

3300 BC:

Ooga goes E and finds the coastline.
Booga attacks the remaining Ainu barbarian, and achieves a Flawless Victory! He is promoted to Veteran status.
Ugga spends his time binding his wound.

IBT:

Kyoto creates a Worker. I shall call him &#8216;Yakko&#8217; in honor of the one that went before him.

&#8220;Umm, Brain? Won&#8217;t that be a bit confusing?&#8221;

Perhaps you&#8217;re right, Pinky. I shall name him &#8216;Yakko II&#8217;. Will that suffice, Pinky?

&#8220;Oh yes, Brain! NARF!&#8221;​

3250 BC:

Ooga goes SW following the coastline.
Booga (seeing no more danger) resumes his Westerly journey.
A completely healed Ugga heads E.

Yakko II moves SE.

IBT:

We have learned Pottery! With the soon-to-be-ours supply of Horses coming, I order the Science Advisor to research Horseback Riding. Humbly, he informs me that we&#8217;ll have to learn Warrior Code first and then we can learn Horseback Riding. Muttering under my breath, I order him to learn Horseback Riding as soon as possible. He bows and leaves.

&#8220;Umm, Brain?&#8221;

Pinky, I&#8217;m not going to tell you the word that you could have used in that sentence, and that&#8217;s final!

&#8220;It&#8217;s not that, Brain. How do you know the names of what you&#8217;re going to research before you research it?&#8221;

(The Brain slaps Pinky upside the head) <WHAP!>

Stop asking silly questions, Pinky!​

3200 BC:

Ooga is in a desert. He goes S and is now standing in an Oasis.
Booga goes W.
Ugga moves E.

Yakko II begins a road.

3150 BC:

Ooga moves SW and is standing in another Oasis.
Booga goes W.
Ugga moves N.

3100 BC:

Ooga goes W following the coastline.
Booga goes W to a mountain.
Ugga goes S.

IBT:

Yakko II finishes the Road. Well, the first piece of road, that is.​

3050 BC:

Ooga heads N to some Hills.
Booga continues W.
Ugga goes SW. He sees a Sugarcane field in the distance.

Kyoto will build a Settler in 4 turns, but Kyoto won&#8217;t have the necessary population for another 10 turns. Reluctantly, I order Kyoto to switch production from a Settler to a Granary.

&#8220;Oh, Brain, That&#8217;s precious!&#8221;

What is?

&#8220;It&#8217;ll be nice to have a granary, don&#8217;t you think? With his little yellow feathers and tweeting voice . . .&#8221;

NOT A CANARY, YOU IDIOT! A GRANARY! IT'S FOR STORING EXCESS FOOD!

&#8220;Sorry, Brain!&#8221;

Moving right along, Yakko II follows the road, moving NW and then W. He will begin building a road in the Forest with the Deer.

3000 BC:

Ooga goes N to some more Hills. In the distance, he sees some Incense.
Booga goes N to some Hills. He sees Gold in the Hills to the N.
Ugga goes S.

Yakko II begins a Road.

End of Turnset: 30 Gold (+1 per turn);
Warrior Code in 11 turns. TAX 20%, SCI 80%, LUX 0%​

And the pics:

My . . . I mean, OUR Territory:

And here's Kyoto:

Come, Pinky, we must prepare for tomorrow night!
"Why? What are we doing tomorrow night, Brain?"
The same thing we do every night, Pinky! TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

Singing is heard, "They're Pinky . . . They're Pinky and The Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain!" (coda)

As per usual, Pinky's lines are in quotes. The rest belong to the Brain.

Journal Entry 2

IBT: “Narf!”​

2950 BC:

Booga goes N.
Ooga goes W.
Ugga goes S.

2900 BC:

Ugga goes S.
Booga goes NW.
Ooga goes NW.

2850 BC:

Ooga goes W.
Ugga goes E.
Booga goes N.

2800 BC:

Booga goes NW.
Ooga goes W.
Ugga goes SE.

2750 BC:

Ugga goes NE following a coastline.
Booga goes N.
Ooga goes W. He sees a village.

IBT: Yakko II finishes the road.​

2710 BC:

Ooga enters the village. We get a tribute of 25 Gold. YES!
Booga goes NW.
Ugga goes E.

Yakko II begins a road.

2670 BC:

Ugga goes N.
Booga goes SW.
Ooga goes W.

Yakko II enters Kyoto, and follows the road to the SE.

2630 BC:

Ooga goes SW.
Booga goes S. In the distance, he sees a village.
Ugga goes NW filling in that portion of the map.

Yakko II begins a road.

IBT: Kyoto builds a Granary! A Settler is ordered. Kyoto has no Happy faces and 1 Unhappy face. If I don’t fix this, the city will riot! SCI is lowered to 70% and LUX is increased to 10%. Kyoto now has 1 Happy face and 1 Unhappy face.​

2590 BC:

Ugga has finished with his portion of the map, so I send him on a SW course towards the unknown.
Booga goes SW toward the village.
Ooga goes S.

IBT: We have learned Warrior Code! Horseback Riding is next.​

2550 BC:

Ooga goes W.
Booga enters the village. Oh no! He has angered 3 Toltec Warriors!
Ugga continues on his SW course.

IBT:

A Toltec Warrior attacks Booga! Booga is victorious (Flawless Victory!).

Yakko II finishes the road.​

2510 BC:

Booga attacks the Toltec Warrior to the SW! He is victorious, but only just. Booga has 1 Hit Point left.
Ooga goes W towards another village.

Yakko II moves SE to the Horses.

2470 BC:

Booga stays put, nursing his wounds.
Ooga enters a village. He has angered 3 Yayoi Warriors!

Yakko II begins a road.

IBT:

A Yayoi Warrior attacks Ooga! Ooga is victorious (Flawless Victory!). Another Yayoi warrior attacks Ooga! It’s another Flawless Victory for Ooga who is promoted to Veteran Status for his bravery.​

2430 BC:

Ooga attacks the remaining Yayoi warrior! It’s yet another Flawless Victory for Ooga!
Booga again stays put, nursing his wounds.

IBT:

Kyoto builds a Settler! Another is ordered.​

2390 BC:

Ooga goes S.
Booga rests for another turn.

Our Settler follows the road to the SE.

IBT:

Yakko II finishes the road.​

2350 BC:

Booga goes NE.
Ooga goes W.

Yakko II goes S to the Horses.
Our Settler moves S.

2310 BC:

Booga attacks the remaining Toltec warrior! Another Flawless Victory!
Ooga goes W to the coastline.

Yakko II begins the road to connect the Horses.
Our Settler moves S.

2270 BC:

Booga goes S.
Ooga goes N.

Osaka is founded! Because of the ‘Growth in 10', a Barracks is ordered.

IBT:

My loyal subjects give me a Palace Expansion! I choose landscaping.​

2230 BC:

Booga goes S.
Ooga goes N.

IBT:

Yakko II finishes the road.

YES!​

I have Horses at my disposal now. Step 1 is complete, Pinky!
(Pinky sighs longingly while looking at the Horses as they are herded into the city)
I look out the window to see what my assistant finds so fascinating. In the midst of these noble steeds is an all-white horse with the goofiest look on her face.
“Can I go say ‘Hello’, Brain?”
Birds of a feather, Pinky. Go ahead!
“Thanks, Brain!”
(Pinky jumps to the ground outside the window and runs towards the white horse)
I suppose him getting trampled is too much to ask.​

2190 BC:

Booga goes S.
Ooga goes N.

Yakko II follows the road into Osaka, and heads SE.

IBT: Pinky isn’t here to say it, and I refuse to utter such nonsense! Nothing transpired during this time.​

2150 BC:

Booga goes S.
Ooga goes NW.

Yakko II begins a road.

End of Turnset: 68 Gold (+2 per turn);
Horseback Riding in 15 turns; TAX 40%, SCI 60%, LUX 0%.

Our Territory:

Pictures of City Screens available upon request. :mischief:

Singing is heard, "They're Pinky . . . They're Pinky and The Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain!" (coda)

Oh, wow, man, wow.

Heydude, say, uh, man, have I been before?

I could swear I, oh man, why is the earth spinning?

I'm gonna try ta sleep, okayman?

But, hey, before I do that, how about passing me another mushroom?

CBob? ...?

Good things: Good # of warriors. Tech choice. Your (mentor's) victory condition is conquest, is it not? Horsemen [yay, for your horse!] will help you along the way quite well. After all, they upgrade to Samurai and don't die so easily.

Okay things: Good worker count (with poor Yakko's untimely death). You could use more though. Worker should irrigate those cows ASAP (use the plains next to the river, 2 NW of Osaka) Osaka can make a granary or barracks. If you want faster expansion, then pick the former, if an early war, the latter.

Poor things: City spacing is too big. The settling site you chose with take a while to improve fully. (But it's good choice though.) Research rate is not 100% or 10%; there's not much you can do with this extra money for quite a while.

Bad things: Since you got Pottery first, you should use it. Making a granary in at least Kyoto should right now. After all, it can't finish it's settler without wasting 2 turns at this rate.

Yay! I like this story . . . and oddly enough, though I never watched Pinky and the Brain, I know what the Brain sounds like, and Pinky's "Narf!" noises. Hm. Anyway, good luck with the HoF! Go Japan!

Ah, I wondered where you got the idea for Pinky and the brain. I'd never heard of them before, but they are funny. :)

Yay! I like this story . . . and oddly enough, though I never watched Pinky and the Brain, I know what the Brain sounds like, and Pinky's "Narf!" noises. Hm. Anyway, good luck with the HoF! Go Japan!

Strangely, so have I. Keep up the humor, and I'll llurk.

EDIT: What does "TDG" stand for?

Congrats on the turnsets so far. You've made good progress on the settler factory. You haven't covered this idea directly, but I would recommend against the "always war" variant. In TDG1, you were still working on conducting warfare well, and you have a goal to make the :bowdown: HOF. So, let's focus on getting a good initial expansion, and good tech trading, for the HOF. Putting an AW on top of that might be asking too much.

I will not 'Always War' this game.

It helps if you read the lines in The Brain's (or Pinky's) voice. NARF!

@Tasslehoff: TDG stands for Training Day Game.

@Tribute: I know the city spacing is a bit much, but I plan to put another city between them hopefully soon.

@gmaharriet: You've never heard of Pinky and The Brain? Well, you could ask your grandkid(s). Actually, I believe that the DVDs of 'Pinky and The Brain' are available. You could rent it, watch it, and get hooked by it. I have been a huge fan of theirs since they started on 'Animaniacs'.

I wonder what Marsden's up to? He hasn't given his 2 cents yet. :confused:

@gmaharriet: You've never heard of Pinky and The Brain? Well, you could ask your grandkid(s).

:lol: Good idea. I'm sure my 8-year-old grandson would love to explain it all to me. There's a LOT of things I don't know about. :p

Ok so far, but you need some important micromanaging with Kyoto, Why will it produce a 38 shield settler?
Are you working the cow?
It isn't improved, and using an unimproved tile is one of the worst things that happens from poor worker managment which is one of the most vital things in the game. You need at least 1 more worker taking care of Kyoto. Chopping the forest the game lives in and irrigating would be a good idea, also, irrigating the cow via the non bonus grassland straight north of the city square, and make sure you road, trade is important!

Every time you make a settler you will have to reset your worked tiles as the governor will automatically choose the ones it would work.

Tribute is right, either jack research up to 100% (unless you need the entertainment slider) or just go 10%. An increase is in order, and after horseback riding you have to decide what you are going to do regarding future research. You have 2 opponents that know alphabet, but that is what you need to get soon to start on the philosophy free republic technique otherwise known as the slingshot, so start researching it or wait to trade? This is one of the many reasons contacts are important. Plus, as hard as it might be to believe with your recent luck, you might pop it from a hut. But back to choices, if you don't research it, then what? Brozne working is good to have, not for spearmen, but to learn iron working. Also, I think you are going to want to get out of the ancient age and get to at least chivalry, although getting to military tradition might be helpful. I think your first decision is to decide if you want republic or monarchy, both have good and bad points, I think republic is better though and is easier to get with philosophy. Also, bronze working is the practically the default research project of the AI, so you could trade for that probably, too. That leaves masonry, which ottomans start with, or mysticism which is basically useless unless you want monarchy although you are going to need it to advance to the middle ages. Not an easy choice, I'm not sure what I'd do myself short of hoping to find Iroquois or Portugal before you have to choose and trade, then research writing.

I think a barracks is definitely in your future but consider changing osaka to chariot, it will really help your exploration and exploring the map is very important. You need contacts for trading purposes, and also you need to find out where everyone else is so you can ease them into their eternal slumber asap. However, I am against always war just because that's for players that find the game too easy and want more of a challenge, not for training or even standard HoF games because it is disadvantageous, and we want to help ourselves, not hinder.

I'm sure there's more, but we'll get to that later. I like answering direct questions more than lecturing, and this post reads like a lecture.

I'm not sure if I will be able to play the next TurnSet this Friday or not because of the holiday, and I'm in the middle of getting a new(er) Vehicle.

So . . . Like I said in the 1st TDG, Happy Day, Turkeys! :lol: . . . I mean Happy Turkey Day! :D

Now what's your excuse? You can't blame the turkey any more.

Originally posted by Marsden:

Now what's your excuse? You can't blame the turkey any more.

So there I was at work today. 11AM came, and I clocked out. The only problem was that it's payday, and the checks hadn't arrived yet. I waited until 3PM for the checks to get there! By the time I got my errands done, and the rent paid, I was bushed!

I thank you all for your patience. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I will play the next TurnSet next Friday.

And I can still blame the turkey if I want. :mischief: :lol:

Also, I'm still digesting your post with all of the advice in it. :goodjob:

As per usual, Pinky's lines are in quotes. The rest belong to the Brain.

Journal Entry 3

Before I began this TurnSet, I noticed that Kyoto will produce a Settler in 2 turns, but not have the necessary population point for 4 turns. I switched production to Barracks. It was the only choice without wasting a TON of Shields. Even switching to Barracks wasted 2 Shields.

IBT:

Kyoto builds a Barracks. A Worker is ordered.​

2110 BC:

All warriors are exploring.

IBT: &#8220;NARF!&#8221;​

2070 BC:

IBT:

Kyoto creates a Worker whom I shall name &#8216;Wakko&#8217;. A Settler is next.
Yakko finishes the road.​

2030 BC:

Wakko goes N.
Yakko cannot Irrigate where he is so he begins a mine.

IBT: &#8220;POIT!&#8221;​

1990 BC:

Wakko begins Irrigating.

1950 BC:

IBT: &#8220;POIT!&#8221;

PINKY! Don't make me hurt you!​

1910 BC:

IBT:

Ooga encounters a Scout from Portugal.
Osaka builds a Chariot. A Worker is next.​

1870 BC:

I decide to pay my respects to Portugal&#8217;s leader whom I am told is named Henry. He is polite, but dismissive. He has access to 2 technologies: Alphabet and Bronze Working. Unfortunately, he doesn&#8217;t see how a deal can be struck for either of them. I bid him good-bye.

All warriors and chariots are exploring.

IBT:

Ugga notices another stranger, this one from the Celts.

Wakko finishes Irrigation.​

1830 BC:

I contact the Celt&#8217;s leader named Brennus. The only tech he has to trade is Bronze Working. I ask what he would like in return. He tells me 82 Gold (all I have) and +2 Gold per turn. I haggle him down to 80 Gold and +1 per turn. The deal is struck. We have learned Bronze Working!

Wakko moves E.

IBT:

Kyoto builds a Settler. Another is ordered.
Yakko finishes the mine.​

1790 BC:

Wakko begins Irrigation.
Yakko goes W.

The Settler moves SE.

IBT:

Osaka creates Worker called Dot. A Settler is ordered.​

1750 BC:

Yakko builds a road.
Dot joins Yakko.

Tokyo is founded. A Chariot is ordered.

1725 BC:

Dot helps Yakko with the road.

IBT:

We have learned Horseback Riding! Because of low funds, the SCI budget is cut to 10%. The Science Advisor begins to protest, but I silence him with a look. Iron Working is next.

Yakko and Dot finish the road.​

1700 BC:

The Chariot goes S, and sees his path blocked by mountains and a Portuguese Warrior. We do not wish to enter into a war (YET), so the Chariot waits until the Warrior moves away.

Yakko and Dot go to Tokyo.

IBT:

The Portuguese Warrior does indeed move away.
Wakko finishes irrigating the Cow.​

1675 BC:

IBT: &#8220;POIT!&#8221;​

1650 BC:

Yakko and Dot begin a road.

1625 BC:

IBT:

Yakko and Dot finish the road.​

1600 BC:

Yakko and Dot begin mining.
Wakko moves SW.

IBT:

Kyoto builds a Settler. Another is ordered.​

1575 BC:

Wakko begins a road.
The Settler begins his journey.

1550 BC:

Our Settler continues on his way.

IBT:

Yakko and Dot finish the mine.​

1525 BC:

Yakko and Dot move to connect the soon-to-be new city.
Our Settler arrives at his destination.

IBT:

Wakko finishes the road.​

1500 BC:

Wakko, unsure on what to do next, decides to take a break, and begins to belch &#8216;Jingle Bells&#8217;.
Yakko and Dot begin the road.

Edo is founded! A Barracks is ordered. Edo&#8217;s citizen is moved to the where Yakko and Dot are building the road.

Due to lack of population, Osaka&#8217;s production is switched from Settler to Granary.

And now some pics:

The Settled Territory

Kyoto

Osaka

Tokyo

Edo

The Explored Region

End of TurnSet: 42 Gold (+ 6 per turn)
Iron Working in 42 turns (90% TAX, 10% SCI, 0% LUX)​

Sorry but I've just got to add this:

Good story so far(good cartoon too)!

Darn it! I knew that I forgot something! Oh well.

Oooh, lots of room to build stuff in! Too bad there aren't any Luxuries.

Top Bottom