British-Commonwealth WWII Infantry

GeneralMatt

Emperor
This actually started as and example/experiment today, but got kind of carried away and spent the afternoon on it.

Anyways, I have played a few WWII scenarios and though there is (literally) a ton of units, there has been no real British infantry. There has been American, French, German, Japanese, Russian, even Italian, but no British or Commonwealth (Save the Anzacs or the British Marine with a Sten.) Neither really qualify for the tough, unshakable British "Tommy".

So I decided to fix it. ;)
This uses the Infantries animation.

Thanks to asioasioasio for taking a peak now and then and giving ideas.

Download

Pretty good work Matt... I'll have to see about tossing it in my mod!

5 stars job - this will find home in 1939 for sure :)

Pretty good work Matt... I'll have to see about tossing it in my mod!

Very cool. :) For some reason every military unit I did that was not seacraft, was British, or Canadian.. :p

5 stars job - this will find home in 1939 for sure :)

I think I know who made the helmet though. ;) I think it came from your add on pack though I re-uvmapped it so I could use the helmet part of the texture I showed you yesterday from CoH. There is actually a helmet skin with the mesh on it but I liked this version better..

Mind you... you're not the 1st to do a Tommy WWII soldier... I had found this model out there and was using it in my mod... but I forgot where I found it...

I do like yours better though... and will use it in my mod.

P.S.
Speaking of which... while there are WWII Russian infantrys out there, there's not really I consider top-quality. There's a REALLY GOOD WWI Russian infantry (top notch)... then there's some "okay" WWII Russian infantry.

That is actually a WWI soldier that came with the original Civ 4 and found in the unpacked art. So I did not really think it fit.. It was used for all the Civs n Mr Shafers WWI scenario.

Oh... well... WWI/WWII... British infantry didn't change a whole lot in looks between wars (unlike some other nations).

Like I said... yours is better anyways and I've already tossed it into my mod... maybe you should work on some E-X-P-L-O-R-E-R-S now (hint, hint)... dang, we still only have ONE Conquistador looking Spaniard for EVERYBODY... yet nobody seems to want to pick up the gauntlet... more infantry... more spearman... we're DROWNING in custom soldiers... dang... we've got a million of them... why can't we get some freakin' unique looking explorers around here?

:confused:

I thought Chuggi was on it? Hmm, well I can do a British on for you. Other than that cannot justify takng anymore time away from my list, I have been gone long enough...

I thought Chuggi was on it? Hmm, well I can do a British on for you. Other than that cannot justify takng anymore time away from my list, I have been gone long enough...
Hmmm... well I'm not sure what Cuggi's plans are. He's got a laundry list too, and I think he's holding his work to release in his pending mod... he just showed-off a new spearman (that I guess is for his mod, cuz there's no download), and he said he hasn't gotten to any explorers yet... dunno? :crazyeye:

Maybe PM Chug and see where/what his plans are (if any) on explorers and if he's going to release them as they're done or hold them for his mod?!?!?

Chug does excellent work, but I think he wants to debut what he's doing in his own mod (and he certainly has that right).

I have no idea where Explorers fall into in Chugs plans (if at all).

Poor old Wolf simply lacks the skills to do them himself, so must beg from more talented people... then hope they do them, then hope they release them publicly when finished?!?!

I'm just looking for two or three unique explorers to break up the monotony of the Conquistodor... starting with Germans, English and American versions.

I will give him a shout. :) Meanwhile, you know of any other very cool looking images of explorers, specifically of British ones in Africa? I was thinking that a nice set of animations to use would be the musketmans, nce relaxed, explorerish pose...

Well, if you're going to go

You might want to open the below up to reveal what you seek...

Hope those help Matt.

A little history for the interested...
Spoiler :
Dr Livingston was the first white man to walk across Africa, doing so from east to west. From 1841-1851 he explored the deserts, rivers and lakes of Southern Africa. From 1858-1863 he explored the Zambezi river and the area to the north of the river. It is true that he didn't accomplish 2 of the main goals he had set for himself. He hoped, by his explorations, to open up the African interior to economic development which would eliminate the slave trade. This didn't happen during his lifetime. He even compromised his principles and accepted food and hospitality from Arab slave traders as his second goal became his primary goal, and even an obsession- to find the source of the Nile. He was about 600 miles too far to the south, and never found what he was looking for. Indeed, after being found by Stanley, Livingstone remained in Africa and died in pursuit of his obsession. Despite these failures, Livingstone did map quite a bit of Africa and measured the height of, and gave the English name to, Victoria Falls.

In March 1866, Livingstone steered a massive expedition into the heart of Africa. In his path lay nearly impenetrable, uncharted terrain, hostile cannibals and deadly predators. Within weeks, the explorer vanished without a trace... years passed with no word. While debate raged in England whether Livingstone could be found -or rescued- from a place as daunting as Africa, an American newspaper tycoon sent a young jounalist Henry Mortan Stanley to search for Dr Livingston.

Henry Mortan Stanley, while undoubtedly a racist (he beat his porters for little or no reason) did not have an easy time finding a very lost Dr Livingstone. As Mr. Dugard makes clear in his book "Into Africa", Stanley relentlessly made his way through jungles, swamps and savannah, having to deal with crocodiles, lions, hyenas, and tsetse flies along the way. He survived bouts of malaria and dysentery, encounters with cannibals, an attempted rebellion by his men, and porters running off with essential supplies. He also wound up in the middle of a war between Arab slave traders and various African tribes. He was genuinely fond of Livingstone and didn't just stick around to say, "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" He spent five months with Livingstone, bringing essential supplies so that Livingstone could go on with his explorations. Stanley later, in 1874, returned to Africa and circumnavigated both Lake Victoria and Lake Tanganyika and followed the Congo River all the way to the Atlantic.

Ah yes, thank you! I was having trouble finding images, few would show up in my search..

Amazing person, Mr Livingston was..
That is a lot of walking and 'xploring..

I am having a spot of trouble placing this unit in game. It shows up in game with a pink English helmet. :cry:

I am using the infantry animations.

Here are my ArtDefinesUnit.XML for the unit.

<NIF>Art/Units/England/Infantry_England/infantry.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Infantry/Infantry.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/England/Infantry_England/infantry.nif</SHADERNIF>

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

No, the helmet texture is in the folder as british_helmet.dds, exactly as it came.

I just checked, this one, for some reason needs british_helmet2.dds...

Where do I get that file or do I just rename the .dds?

Top Bottom