Crossover Games: BTS Running (non-Steam)

LanceWeber

Chieftain
I really wanted to see if I could get BtS running under Crossover games. I hate jumping into Bootcamp just to get a gaming fix, and I don't know about you guys but Civ4 + Parallels brings my machine to it's knees. I won't even discuss the Aspyr option.

With Crossover, I could have just forked over the money for the Steam version, but the last thing I wanted to do was buy even more Civ4 software, so my objective here was to use my existing PC versions.

The good news is that after about 3 hours of messing around I have the retail version of BTS working on my MacBook Pro using Crossover Games. Graphics, sound, movies all work great and gameplay is more responsive than running it under parallels. I'd definitely recommend this over the Aspyr version of BtS! *snark*

Now, it does take a little juggling. I had to install the directx 9.0c version that solves the shader loading problem, and of course BTS exe's copy protection won't work on a Mac - you are on your own working around that problem.

I don't know about Multiplayer yet, someone else can followup on it if they'd like.

I couldn't get to first base. If I try to create a new 'bottle' in Crossover I get a fatal error to do with not being able to execute a basic 'sh' command, which has no problem running from my own Terminal window. I tried contacting Crossover support, and they just came back with "we only support Civ4 under Steam". I pointed out that my problem occurs before I even get to the point of trying to install Civ4, but they've ignored me :(

would just copying an existing bottle to a new directory work? Might be worth a try...

I think Crossover Games made me a bottle by default, I'm pretty sure I didn't have to make one to get started...

update: The guys on the IRC channel were really helpful to me, you might try hitting them up

I've already spent more time on it than it's worth. I have Parallels if I need to run BtS, but I don't actually play it, so I can live with the odd missing leaderhead features.

Okay, so I've gotten Civ IV BTS to work fine after a bit of tinkering.
Tried to install fresh but it kept installing Vanilla/Warlords/BTS in different folders for some strange reason. Fixed it by simply copying my installed BTS version from bootcamp to the c_drive/program_files/firaxis_games/ and voila, works perfectly. Unfortunately, I have an issue. For some strange reason, Blue Marble terrain graphics are not showing up. I tried a reinstallation but still no luck.

Any ideas?

I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on how you guys managed to get Civ iv going in Crossover games. I've alread installed Civilization iv complete (patched up to the newest Bts) into my bootcamp partition.

For crossover games, I've tried installing from the CD, then copying the contents from the civilization iv complete directory over the top of the c_drive/program_files/firaxis_games directory.

I've also tried just installing directx 9 and then copying the civilization iv complete directory into the c_drive/program_files directory.

Each time, I get the following error:

"caught unhandled exception creating xml parser object current XML file is:" (there is no filename mentioned after the ":"

Would anyone be so helpful on the steps that they took to get Civ iv going? (I own PC game and I've disabled the dvd check).

After some messing around, I've gotten it all working quite well in cx games 7.1.1 with Civilization iv Complete PC DVD. I'll include the steps below to get Beyond the Sword working for others who need help in the future.

1) Install Crossover games.

2) Start Crossover games. If Crossover games doesn't automatically detect the disc and give you the option, select to install an unsupported game.

3) Be patient. There are times that it looks like the installer has hung (about 2/3 of the way through the progress bar) but actually it is working.

4) Download the official patch for Beyond the Sword. From Crossover games, install the patch into the same bottle from step 2.

6) Download and install into the same bottle "Install Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7)".

You will also need to deal with the DVD check but you'll have to find your own way around that.

I haven't played it much but it seems to work very well for me. The movies show fine and leader head graphics show correctly.

For anyone who wants to try Crossover, either with or without the Steam versions of Civ4, you may be interested to know that the Crossover products will be free for one day on 28th October.

Apparently, this follows Codeweavers Inc's challenge to George W. Bush earlier this year. He (inadvertently) made good on his part of the deal, as the price of gas/petrol in the US has dropped to $2.79. So Codeweavers are honoring their promise.

Trials are normally free every day. This is for real. Follow the link I gave, but you'd better be quick, it's only available today!

Okay, so I've gotten Civ IV BTS to work fine after a bit of tinkering.
Tried to install fresh but it kept installing Vanilla/Warlords/BTS in different folders for some strange reason. Fixed it by simply copying my installed BTS version from bootcamp to the c_drive/program_files/firaxis_games/ and voila, works perfectly.

I got it to load using this method. Unfortunately it hard-locks after a few turns.

Same here. Also some odd graphical glitches with leader heads and unit animations vanishing or getting totally distorted. Can anyone point to a good guide to getting this working?

Same here. Also some odd graphical glitches with leader heads and unit animations vanishing or getting totally distorted. Can anyone point to a good guide to getting this working?

The crossover site has Civ4 listed as "Bronze," i.e. "barely working."

*sigh*

I've managed to play it through with a standard sized vanilla game. There are some minor glitches but nothing as major as leaderheads or distortions. I didn't ever have a lockup.

I've detailed how I installed it in a prior post. Also, I run the game at medium detail, not sure if that helps. Also, make sure you have the latest Directx 9.0c is installed in the bottle.

I'm trying to get Civ4 Colonization to run in Crossover. It installed and opened up to run, but a CD check through up a road block. Some others suggested getting a nocd crack, but I'm disinclined to go that route.

I'm assuming there is an issue preventing Crossover from identifying the CD, because the CD is there. Any ideas?

Crossover has problems with DVD copy protection on all Civ4 games. That's why they only support the Steam versions.

I have run Colonization - DVD version - in Parallels with no problem, except for the usual cosmetic problems with leaderheads, and fog display arriving late sometimes.

hi guys! i've installed civ4 e warlords, but bts doesn't install. someone helps me? (sorry for my bad english!)

I have the solution! install civ4 and all expansions on windows xp (through virtualbox), then copy The "Firaxis Games" folder in a crossover games' bottle. Launch Crossover, then "run program", search Civ4BeyondSword.exe.. and enjoy! :)

I just bought Civ Gold + BTS for Windows, but I'm having a bit of a problem installing it. There appears to be some sort of Corrupt data on the second disk, because Crossover Games conks out about 1/2 the way down with the second disk. I get an error, the installer stops and nothing goes onto my computer.

I tried copying the file in disk 2 onto my Desktop, and it stops at about the same point as the Installer does, saying there is corrupt data. Again, nothing goes onto my computer.

Here is the error I get once the Installer stops: (I could post the log here if needed, but it is very large and I would need to try to reinstall so I can get the log back.)

Attachments

• CivGoldError.png
    CivGoldError.png
    9 KB · Views: 97
Top Bottom