SGOTM 07 - Maintenance Thread

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the C-IV SGOTM 07 Maintenance thread. This thread gives you and the Staff somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff about matters that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc., but please do not divulge information about your team's progress. Please subscribe to this thread so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds.

The team lists are at the end of this post.

The Game
You are Qin Shi Huang, the great Chinese leader. You find yourself on a tiny world, surrounded by all the other vanilla civs. You can only build or own a single city, and the difficulty level is .... Deity!

We have Gyathaar to thank for designing this game - again :goodjob:

The Objective
This Deity OCC game is on a Tiny map, at Normal speed, against 17 rivals. All victory conditions are enabled, and the laurels for this contest will be awarded to the teams who achieve the earliest victory date in the game.

Versions
This game will be played in Civilization IV version 1.74, and using the latest vanilla HOF Mod.

Windows players need the HOF Mod at: HOF-1.74.002.
Windows players who have not installed BtS 3.13 will need to swap their vanilla CvGameCoreDLL.dll file so that their Civ4 installation is compatible with copies that have the BtS installation. Download the new DLL zip file here. The enclosed Readme file gives details for the installation.

Mac players are in a separate team as the HoF Mod cannot be made to work cross-platform. They will use Civ4 for Mac version 1.74, and HOF-Mac-1.74.002.

Schedule
Start files for each team will be available on the SGOTM Progress and Results Page at midnight, server local time, at the start of April 24.

Please try to complete this game within three months of the start date.

Starting Position
Here's the starting position - click the image below to see a larger version.

Map Parameters
Playable Leader/Civ - Qin Shi Huang of China.
Characteristics - Industrious and Financial, starts with Agriculture and Mining
Unique Unit - Cho-Ku-Nu (Crossbowman)
Rivals - All of them
World size - Tiny
Difficulty - Deity
Landform - Continents
Environment - Temperate climate, low sea level
Game Speed - Normal
AI Aggression - Normal
Barbarians - Normal
Permanent Alliances - Enabled
City Razing - Enabled. China auto-razes to enforce OCC.

Notes
  • Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.
  • Teams will compete for up to four awards - the Gold, Silver and Bronze Laurels for the fastest finishes, and the Wooden Spoons for the lowest scoring finisher. The laurels will be presented to the three teams who achieve victories in the fewest turns.
  • All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Do NOT view any other team threads until you have submitted your last save - win, lose or retire.
  • Do NOT download any other team's save.
  • Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Current Team Lists.
This is a dynamic feed from the database.

Apologies. I omitted to give credit to Gyathaar for this game design. I've corrected the error.

Thanks, Gyathaar :D

Hi!

It is not allowed to look at other teams threads, but can we look old threads? For example, SGOTM 5. I presume it is allowed, but I ask to be safe. Learning from the masters would be very useful. :)

Hehehe, I've made the anthem of my team. It's 没有Trash Team就没有新中国 (If there's no Trash Team, there won't be new China), made after the communist propaganda song Without the Communist Party, There Would Be No New China. Enjoy it.

Spoiler :
没有Trash Team就没有新中国

没有Trash Team就没有新中国
没有Trash Team就没有新中国
Trash Team辛劳为中国
Trash Team要复中国的威
他指给了人民景气的道路
他领导中国走向光明
他的工人要谋幸福为中国
他的士兵一定要保卫北京
他要兴建很多世界的纳罕
他要采纳新的原则好处多
没有Trash Team就没有新中国
没有Trash Team就没有新中国

English translation:

If there's no Trash Team, there won't be new China

Trash Team works hard for China
Trash Team will restore China's prestige
He pointed the people the road to prosperity
He leads China toward brightness
His workers will amass fortune for China
His soldiers will for sure defend Beijing
He will build many world wonders
He will adopt new principles, bringing many advantages
If there's no Trash Team, there won't be new China.

(Trash Team has been masculinized because in the original song the communist party is also masculinized)

Please don't spam this thread. I need all players to be subscribed to it in case I have to broadcast new information. If the signal:noise ratio goes down then some will unsubscribe.

Map Parameters
Playable Leader/Civ - Qin Shi Huang of China.
Characteristics - Industrious and Financial, starts with Agriculture and Mining
Unique Unit - Cho-Ku-Nu (Crossbowman)
Rivals - All of them
World size - Tiny
Difficulty - Deity
Landform - Continents
Environment - Temperate climate, low sea level
Game Speed - Normal
AI Aggression - Normal
Barbarians - Normal
Permanent Alliances - Enabled
City Razing - Enabled. China auto-razes to enforce OCC.

You might want to add "One City Challenge - Enabled" to avoid any confusion.

You might want to add "One City Challenge - Enabled" to avoid any confusion.

What? In every team thread? Just in case people can't read "You can only build or own a single city," ... "This Deity OCC game is on a Tiny map, at Normal speed, against 17 rivals."?

I'll admit that I wondered if it was a true OCC with the box checked and game parameters adjusted accordingly, or a self-enforced OCC with the box unchecked. That said, it seems clear now and you shouldn't need to update the team threads.

I just wanted to let the staff know that I subscribed to the RSS feed for this forum, not realizing that would result in my feed reader (Google Reader) downloading the first post from each team's thread. Fortunately, the first post for each thread is identical, and the feed reader doesn't download subsequent posts in the threads.

Team 14 have now reinvented themselves as "Unusual Suspects".

Lazarillo has been reassigned to iWarbadly from Smurkz, as he has a Mac. He hasn't shown up there yet, though!

Hi!

I've never played a succession game, but I've played some GOTMs.
I have some questions:

1) Is it allowed for more people in the team to look at the same save, or just one player at the time can have access? Can a player upload a save on a team thread while still playing his turns?

2) Can a player open a save, take screenshots and notes, post a "got it" on the team thread and close the game? Do we have to play right away all in one go? How many sessions can one player make when playing his turns?

1a. Anyone on your team can download and look at the current save. Only the current active player may make any move or turn.

1b. The active player may upload a save during a turn set. If you upload a second save at the same game date then you will replace the first one. You may not upload a 4000 BC save.

2a. Opening the save without making any moves or playing any turns is no different from 1a above, and is not a problem.

2b. You can play your turn set in multiple sessions as long as you do not replay any turns or moves.

The only exception to the No Replays rule is if your system crashes. In this case you should PM me to let me know it happened, and then replay your moves from the last save or autosave as accurately as possible. You MUST set autosaves to occur every turn so that you should never have to go back more than one turn. This is a setting in your CivilizationIV.ini file. If crashes occur frequently then I shall encourage you to fix your computer or your software, or retire from the team.

Moreover, as now HoF mod allows to set up autosaving at the end of turn too, I recommend switching this option on mandatorily for SGOTM.

I cannot load the file. I've the correct HOF mod version and I've made sure that I downloaed the file of my team. Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss any step?

What error do you get? If it's a "Locked assets" error message:

Do you have BtS 3.13 installed? If not you need to get the DLL file that would be installed by that expansion pack. See my first post in your team thread for the download link.

If this is not the problem, do you have any other mods that load on launch. If you have used CivScale to modify your graphics scale you need to revert it to defailt. If you have installed Bhruic's mod then you need to revert it, as it replaces your standard DLL file.

If you have installed Bhruic's mod then you need to revert it, as it replaces your standard DLL file.
Bruic's patch should have no influence on this game since it is a in Vanilla.. (for BtS gotms however it would cause problems)

Top Bottom