SGOTM 08 - Geezers

I will be interested to see how we can knock off Shaka without derailing our progress towards needed techs and wonders.

You can't quite see it on the screenie, but Ulundi has tons of food. We should be able to work some merchants while the courthouses are being built. In fact, between marble island, a city 3 W of the cow site (which will have 3 food), and Ulundi, we can run a great SE. Kind of makes me want to know who will build the Mids for us.

Edit: Oops, crosspost. This is what happens when 5 of us are on at the same time...

Oh I wasn't suggesting we should start building any wonder until we have sorted out Shaka. However choosing techs that will allow the wonder building is another matter.

No, I know you weren't, sorry if it sounded like that. What I'm thinking is that we have time to research several techs before we're in a position to start building a Wonder, and now The-Hawk has confirmed that Shaka is going to take a little while to sort out. If we play this right, we can keep our tech going reasonably well, especially with a few trades, and still knock out the Wonders once we're ready. Great Library is a good Wonder, no question, but I think it would be a mistake to gear up just for that given the other options on offer.

Looking at the completion times that The-Hawk posted earlier I'll plump for Alpha & cross my fingers that we can meet another civ by the time we get it. However I don't mind Currency either.

Question: Given that there are a load of us around right now ... and to enable The-Hawk to play on a few turns

What tech do we go for next?

For Alphabet: The-Hawk, Misotu, AgedOne, Sam_Yeager
For anything else: No votes so far

Vote early! Vote often! Vote now :evil:

Actually, come to think of it ... that's 4 out of 8. I bet at least one person out of the other four would go Alphabet :mischief:

@The-Hawk Guess you could play on?

:lol: If we get one more vote tonight, I'll finish tonight. Otherwise, I'll pick it up 1st thing in the morning.

Nyahhh ... Harbour Boy would have voted Alpha but he has that Gen-X attention span :) If he had really objected, he'd have said so, I'm sure :) :mischief:

Just out of interest, where are we in terms of units right now? Any cats?

Edited to add: erikthecelt is on-line now. How do you feel about Alphabet erik? :) :) :deal:

I just finished turn 9. I think I've built 2 axes, 1 spear, 2 cats on my turn. IIRC, we had 2 axes and a spear already. I think 6 axes, 2 spears, and 5 cats should do it (the spears can kill wounded units too). Hari will be building units shortly as well. So, maybe 6-7 more turns, plus a couple to move them into position. Only thing that would slow us down would be Shaka killing our scouts.

Sounds terrific. Just a few more cats & a couple of axes to go then. And then we have to sort out our economy :twitch: :) But it should be doable with The Merchant Task Force, esp if you reckon Ulundi is a Merchant Factory.

Joao is not a highly rated wonder builder, he's only rated as sometimes. He is very expasionist though and will make a good trader if he shares our religion. We have CoL already so courthouses will be fine until we go beyond 6 cities. Aesthetics is good for trading and opens up the Mausoleum (one of my favorite BTS wonders) as well as PArthenon and G. Lib.

A shrine will go a long way to helping out the economy.

A shrine will go a long way to helping out the economy.

Yes ... and unless we get a temple/priest running in Yas, we're not likely to have that for a long time, esp if we're looking at building the Great Library there. I think that, as soon as we have a chance, we build a temple and run a priest, while growing Yas to the happiness cap. That shrine in Hari will be key - and Hari will become our economy city, with a market once we have currency and other gold-enhancing improvements as they become available. Good thing it has at least *some* production :)

Spreading confu to Joao with a missionary, if necessary, might be a good idea from what you say, erik. Does he spread his religion?

Summary:

• Our army is built, but not quite in position (I stopped after Alpha so we could discuss next tech.
  • The-Hawk shows his warmonger side and kills one Shaka chariot.
  • Copper and horses are pillaged. Do not know if Shaka has other resources or not. (Have not completed scouting.)
  • Academy built.
  • Confus has spread to Yaso, but we still have our missionary.
  • Research complete through Alpha.
  • We met Joao.

Turn 0 (950 BC):
  • Per our plan, fire scientists in Yaso, add scientist in Hari.
  • Although we agreed to use the missionary in Yaso, I decide to let him sleep until pop grows. Maybe Confus will spread for free and we can save the missionary.
IBT: Barb warrior heading for our warrior at choke. :(

Turn 1 (925 BC):
  • Decide to take a risk and attack barb warrior with spear (at 89%). I really want a medic promoted unit and don’t want to lose the warrior. Attack succeeds. :)
Turn 2 (900 BC)
  • Yaso: Axe -> spear
  • Promote spear to medic and move to warrior choke point.
  • Worker 1 is going to road to the choke point and camp the phant later.
  • Worker 2 is now mining a hill for Hari.
Turn 3 (875 BC)
  • Yaso: Spear -> axe
  • Workboat exposes Nobamba on southern coast. It is protected by 1 axe, 2 impis, and 2 archers. Shaka has metal somewhere.
Turn 4 (850 BC)
  • Construction -> Sailing
  • One sci spec in Hari goes back to pigs. The other two sci specs continue to build a GS.
Turn 5 (825 BC)
  • Confu spreads to Yaso with 2 turns to spare. We can save the missionary for later. :D
  • Sailing -> Agri
  • Yaso: Axe -> Cat
Turn 6 (800 BC)
  • Spear is healed, spear and axe heading West to scout.
  • WB is heading due south, Shaka’s part of our continent extends southward. Finds another Shaka archer and impi just south of Nobamba. Looks like he can get a stack of 7 in that city.
Turn 7 (775 BC)
  • Yaso: cat -> cat
  • Agri -> Pottery
  • Drop research to 80%
Turn 8 (750 BC)
  • Axe and spear find Ulundi. Guarded by 2 axes and 1 archer. Also see a worker to the NE of Ulundi.
  • Yaso grows to pop 7, working 3 hammer hill.
  • Hari is 3 GPP’s away from GS, so 1 sci spec goes to work the mine worker 2 provided.
Turn 9 (725 BC)
  • WB finds Joao on south of Shaka.
  • Yaso cat -> cat
  • Axe and spear move N, and sees another Shaka worker. If they don’t move to Ulundi this turn, I will cut them off.
  • OB with Joao
IBT: WB sees a barbie axeman way to the south near Joao. I think it’s time to send our warrior to fogbust. :rolleyes:

Turn 10 (700 BC)
  • Pottery -> Alpha
  • Build academy.
  • Hari’s 2nd mine is done, so I put the last sci spec to work.
  • Research to 70%, alpha in 9 turns.
  • Shaka’s workers don’t move, so I move axe and spear to the road between the workers and Ulundi to cut them off. In doing so, I find his copper. However, Shaka now has 3 axemen in Ulundi. Wonder if he’ll kill our scouts.
IBT: We get a random event that adds 44 beakers to Alpha. :)

Turn 11 (675 BC)
  • Hari: Barracks -> spear.
  • Yaso: Cat -> cat.
  • I decide I can’t cut off the workers (they can go around me through the forests, so I decide to move to the copper mine to pillage it.
Turn 12 (650 BC)
  • Pillage copper and road.
IBT: Random event destroys a Hari mine. :mad:

Turn 13 (625 BC)
  • Yaso: Cat -> cat
  • Hari: One citizen becomes sci spec. Workers are both roading to choke point, so it will be a while to fix the mine.
  • Scouts heading south hunting for workers or horsies.
  • Research to 60%
Turn 14 (600 BC)
  • Yaso: Cat -> axe
Turn 15 (575 BC)
  • Hari: Spear -> axe
  • Worker 2 heading back to Hari, worker 1 continues roading to choke point.
  • Research to 50%
Turn 16 (550 BC)
  • Yaso: Axe -> axe.
  • Our power curve now has reached Shaka's.
Turn 17 (525 BC)
  • Yaso: Axe -> axe.
  • Scouts reach horses.
Turn 18 (500 BC)
  • Yaso Axe -> Cat
  • Hari to pop 4, working 2 sci specs until mine is complete.
  • Pillage horses and road.
  • WB hits dead end to south. Will need to work its way back.
IBT: Shaka chariot appears on forest hill near scouts.

Turn 19 (475 BC)
  • Kill chariot with spear, move axe to the forest hill with the spear.
  • Alpha -> Currency.

State of our army:
  • 7 axes, 3 spears, 5 cats.
  • Another cat in 1 turn, another axe in 3 turns.

Need to decide what to tech next. I set it to Currency for now, but no beakers invested.

We have CoL already so courthouses will be fine until we go beyond 6 cities.

We will go beyond 6 cities, no question. We have 2, Shaka has 3, and we want Iron City, Stone City and Marble City. So we have to pay serious attention to the economy. A shrine is one way. Merchants are another. Currency is a third.

Aesthetics is good for trading and opens up the Mausoleum (one of my favorite BTS wonders) as well as PArthenon and G. Lib.

Why Mausoleum? This is a genuine question. I haven't played much BtS so I have no idea. But it generates artists and the only impact is longer Golden Ages. I can't see us generating many golden ages in this game? Maybe that's a mistake. I'm probably missing something. (I usually do :( )

Personally, I'm a fan of the Parthenon, esp in long-term games (which this is going to be). So I would go for Parthenon before Great Library. With this number of cities, we can get a couple of scientists. No probs. But 50% GP boost - now that seems really worthwhile to me, especially if we're going for a priest or two.

A couple of other thoughts before I forget.

Our fogbusting warrior can't quite cover all of the land between us and Shaka. We need to be on guard for barbie axemen.

When the worker is done re-building Hari's second mine, I'd suggest he build some cottages. Hari is running out of tiles to work. I left it working sci specs, but we want to stop them at some point so we pop our prophet.

Top Bottom