WW II Infantry: German Mauser 98 Pack

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
This will hopefully be a 3 part unit pack for the German Mauser Kar 98 bolt action rifle. Units are based as closely as possible upon illustrations featured in the Osprey "Men-at-Arms" series of publications.

=============Mauser 98 Pack I==================

Spoiler :

***THIS FILE HAS BEEN UPDATED AS OF 9:30PM SEPTEMBER 20th 2008***
There is an all new run animation for all 4 units in the update pack.

DOWNLOAD HERE

=============German Afrika Korps==================

Spoiler :

Just a single unit this time, a stragler from the Mauser 98 pack.

DOWNLOAD HERE

=============German Afrika Korps II=================

Spoiler :
One more stragler from the Mauser 98 pack. This unit was actually done before I decided to switch to a two handed rifle run. So this is one more unit where the guy is holding his rifle in one hand on his side while running. Units afterward will have both hands on the rifle.

DOWNLOAD HERE

nice looking stuff :thumbsup:

Nice, we have some Landsers to invade our neighboring civs with! :goodjob:

Thanks guys! Yeah. Run animations are probably the hardest to make IMO. It always seems like there is a hitch in the motion that just won't pan out. This run started as a 15 frame run but when I noticed the pause in motion between the 15th and 1st frames I took #15 out. Apparently that didn't quite solve the entire problem although I have to say the current run looks a lot better than what I started out with.

Also I've tested the unit in game and think that the run looks better in game than it does in an endless loop. You can see the hitch in the looping animation. It's a little harder to spot in the actual game.

@Ares: All I currently have is the Osprey installments on the German army from 1943 onward. I have an earlier book on its way though. Hopefully I will be able to get some good pics of earlier German uniforms and the more classic gray uniform with them. Most of the later German uniforms appear to be camo or more dark brownish greenish in color. BTW, thanks for the Mauser 98 sound! :goodjob: I'll try to incorporate it in the 2 following packs.

I don't know which version of Poser you use, but I've found that with Poser 5, I just start with one of the basic run/walk animations (or a combo of two or more), and when I apply it to the model, I set it for 30 frames (which is what the default Poser walk and run animations are), and to "walk in place" as well as repeat only once.

Once I apply those settings, I then go to the "animation" menu and chose the option "Re-Time Animation" and set the source frames to 1 for the first and 30 for the last, and the destination frames to 1 for the first and 15 for the last... What that does is compress the animation into the first 15 frames, but you'll still have to delete frames 16-30 (just click on the box on the animation toolbar that has the number of the LAST frame and change it to 15).

I've never had any trouble using this method.

....Of course, with carying items with two hands, or other objects that need to have less arm movement, you'll have to modify the appropriate arm settings... For carrying rifles or staffs in both hands, I just record all the settings for both arms (shoulder, forearm and hand), then go into the almost-finished run animation, set the arm parameters, and delete all other keyframes associated with the arms (use the "graph" option for this, otherwise you'll delete the keyframes for the WHOLE figure, rather than just one part of the figure or a single parameter.... Granted you'll have to delete all keyframes for each parameter, but at least you can do that by selecting ALL the keyframes and just pushing the delete key... then all you have to do is click on the other paremeters while you have the graph window open, and it'll automatically switch the graph to those parameters with the selection still in place.....)

I'm using Poser 7. Where is the "Walk in Place" function located on the menu?

EDIT: Never mind. I finally discovered the "Walk Designer" feature! Wow! I've been living in a cave with Poser! :crazyeye:

Thanks Hikaro! :goodjob:

OK. Here's a run using the "Walk Designer" in Poser. Much better I think than doing the frames custom, 1 by 1 on my own.

Thanks Hikaro! Once again you are a life saver! This makes my life infinitely easier! :goodjob:

Much Better Gary! I had no idea you were trying to make the Run animations totally manually, one frame at a time. Crawling Brains, Skreech and Cars, etc... have to be made manually but Bipeds are easiest to start with the Walk Designer for the Runs.

You will need to play around with the Frame Rate and tweak the Runs to obtain more natural speeds...rather than the Slow Motion that most people do with the Walk Designer. Many times you can remove a frame and adjust, keeping 14 Frames with an adjusted Frame Rate for example.
CIV Units sort of Hop Run as you know and this seems to be the way Fraxis got around the Game Engine "idiosyncracies" but with some experimenting, you can get Normal Run/Walk Speeds when generating your Flcs that will play correctly in Game.

OK. Here's a run using the "Walk Designer" in Poser. Much better I think than doing the frames custom, 1 by 1 on my own.

Thanks Hikaro! Once again you are a life saver! This makes my life infinitely easier! :goodjob:

Well, this knowledge was gained from several months' experience with Poser BEFORE I even tried to make units with it (at the time, I was running Poser 5 on my Pentium III laptop with less than 512 MB of RAM :ack: ), and like the old saying goes, "Good judgment comes from experience, which in turn, usually comes from bad judgment." :lol:

Yes, that are real Krauts :D .
Looking very good, especially they would with the new run anims. Do you further plan to make weapon variations, Gary? :goodjob:

Hi John, Weapon variations are still in the overall plan. I'm redoing the run animations for my M1 Garand pack right now. Next I am going to redo the run animations for the Germans I've just done.

As far as my older units, my British, Japanese etc. I will probably redo the units entirely from scratch using what I've learned since their original creation. Therefore I won't be redoing the run animations for them per se, however, the new units will incorporate the better run animation along with the improvements in other animations I have managed to come up with since then. Basically I consider the units in the World War II Infantry Collection thread as experiments or stepping stones toward better units. :)

BTW: I've tested my new run animation in game and I think it looks very good. This should be a very promising improvement.

OK. This pack has officially been updated with the new run animations. I simply uploaded the file over the old one so the download counter has been preserved. Also I kept the same GIF sample files and everything that were in the old one. Therefore the new run won't show in the preview GIFs in the OP, but don't be fooled, it's a new pack as of 9:30 September 20, 2008.

Special thanks to Vuldacon for straightening me out on the palette problem I was having. :goodjob: Apparently Civ3FlcEdit and Flicster were having different quirks when it comes to the loading the palette in the Flic file. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom