How to disband a settlement?

PeeDub

Warlord
(BTW, I *hates* the Google search feature on these forums. Can't target to a specific forum (or I know not how.))

How does one disband a settlement? I did the old trick of finding some treasure, building a settlement, shipping the treasure, but now I'm stuck trying to disband. I can't seem to move the scout back out of the colony, and there don't seem to be any special buttons anywhere. I also checked the Civilopedia and the manual, but I can't find reference.

I too was trying to do this for about 10mins but don't see any way to do it.

To search a specific forum use the forum's search function rather than the google one. Just look a little lower along the bar where the links to Home, My Account, Downloads, etc are.

As for your question, I don't think you can but I'm a Colonization noob so I could very well be wrong about that.

Oh jeeze, if we were allowed to do that in Civ 4........

Oh jeeze, if we were allowed to do that in Civ 4........

Well sometimes we can leave it to enemies/barbs as you've demonstrated. ;)

In the original col you could disband a settlement by moving all the colonists out of it unless you had a stockade in the settlement, which is why I never got Sieur de la Salle (Hernan Cortes in Col2).

So who's in the know, does it work the same in col2?

I got caught the same way - built a temporary colony to sell treasure then couldn't abandon it. The simple answer is that not all the Col 1 tricks will work here. If you build a colony you are stuck with it for the rest of the game (unless it is captured). It's just a case of adjusting your playing style to suit the new game rules.

Yes you can Maddog. You go to settlement screen. Drag a worker to the garrison icon. It asks if you want you worker to be an colonist/preacher warrior outside of city. Exit settlement screen and Voila. (It does mention this in manual).

Yes you can Maddog. You go to settlement screen. Drag a worker to the garrison icon. It asks if you want you worker to be an colonist/preacher warrior outside of city. Exit settlement screen and Voila. (It does mention this in manual).
No, that doesn't work. I drag my scout to the garrison and it gives me a single "Never mind" option. i.e. "Nope, can't do that"

Sorry but it does work (for me anyway). It says never mind and the 3 choices under this saying Colonist, missionary or soldier. I can't think why your not getting this too. Sorry:confused:

I created a test colony just to see if i could abandon it.

I started it with a Free Colonist, and then once built, went into the colony screen, and tried to drag the colonist to the Garrison area. The only option that came up was "Never Mind".

I brought in an expert Silver Miner and put him to work, took the Free Colonist out, and tried to remove the Silver Miner. I got the exact same "Never Mind" only option.

I also tried pressing alt, shift or ctrl while dragging, still to no avail. I also tried the double right click to bring up the jobs menu, and again, when there is only one colonist, i could not abandon the colony.

I was playing the game on Pioneer level (1 up from easiest).

Unless there is some secret handshake way to fully abandon a colony, i don't think it can be done, which is really dumb if you ask me...

You could always gift the city to a rival...

Although that might not help with the original question it is actually a very good option to take when you capture an enemy settlement if you want to plunder it rather than disband it immediately. Then you can reduce it to a single colonist and give it away. Can you gift it to the Indians?

I'm not saying you guys are doing anything wrong but I really have no problems and do get choices under the never mind option. Perhaps the software company might be the best place to ask as it might be a generic problem for certain people only. I'm sorry this is spoiling your enjoyment of the game and hope you get a quick solution.
Ps please click on thumbnail to show what you should be getting

Regards sabana

Attachments

• new.JPG
    new.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,584
And another screenshot of when their placed in garrison

Attachments

• new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,145
I'm having the same issue as the OP. I downloaded the game through Steam. I wonder if you might be playing a different version, sabana?

edit: added image
Apologies about the size, can't seem to find a size parameter to the IMG tag.

I'm not saying you guys are doing anything wrong but I really have no problems and do get choices under the never mind option. Perhaps the software company might be the best place to ask as it might be a generic problem for certain people only. I'm sorry this is spoiling your enjoyment of the game and hope you get a quick solution.

I wonder if this is just a mis-communication. What Maddog asked was how to disband a settlement, and the example he gave was using a 1-man colony to ship his treasure. Yes you do get a list of options under 'never mind' when you have more than one colonists, but not when it is the last colonist to leave. What happens to your colony when the last guy leaves it Sabana? Does it collapse into ruins?

Yes dalgo miscommunication. I didnt try with the last colonist as to empty the city completley. I will try to find solution for you.

Regards Sab

Top Bottom