BirdNES 3 Survey

Would you consider playing ssuch a NES?

• Yes

Votes: 36 66.7%
  • Yes, but only if I could play a non nation role

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Maybe if you made some changes like....

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdjaguar

Hanafubuki
Super Moderator
Supporter
I have been working on a new NES that is really a redo of my first one with major changes. Before I expend the effort to finalize all the various aspects of this game I would like to gauge how much interest there might be, so please vote based on the summary descriptions posted here. You may ask questions and offer suggestions too.

Game begins 1492ish
5 year turns

Rules would use the best or most appropriate parts of BirdNES 1 & 2 including:
VoD and Trade
Less elaborate black box stats
Mercenary armies
European transition from mercenary to standing armies
Policies
Colonies
Religious strife

New items being developed:
Battle calculator to resolve wars
Regional as well as national stats
Clearly defined tech tree for weapons and warships
Government type impact on economics and tech change
Automatic spread of technology across regions

New Roles
BirdNES 1 had nation players and a Pope who had a different kind of role in the game, and towards the end, a pirate leader who preyed upon the lucrative trade between America and Europe. I have been working on several more non nation roles that might be fun: Bankers who would supply cash to needy nations (which all were in this time); Mercenary army leaders who will raise armies and rent those troops to European nations for gold; and possibly traders who will try to connect the world’s markets for their own profit. None of these are definite yet, except the Pope. I have sketched out how each might work, but making them integrate smoothly into play has yet to happen.

The tech tree is pretty far along and should enable me to include both European arms and armor along with those of the Americas, Africa and Asia. I am building it to reflect the advantages the Europeans had, but make progress and catch up possible by the non European regions. The three core paths are: a nation’s economic system, its progress in manufacturing technique and the weapons age it is in. The tree ends with the 19th C advancements of the percussion cap musket, Napoleonic cannon, and early ironclads.

The single biggest change will be the map. Europe and Asia will start as you might expect, but I plan on erasing all of the Americas, Australia and southern Africa and replacing those lands with entirely new land masses that will be cloaked until discovered. The new lands will be entirely new shapes. The "Americas" will still have the Aztecs, Incas, and Mayans as playable nations plus other tribes. It’s just that no one will know where they are until they are discovered. Nations will have to actually explore to discover new lands or find trade routes to the east. This means that the finished maps of the cloaked lands will be completely fresh and new.

Earliest expected start date: late Jan 09; most likely: Feb 09.

Thanks!

I would join this no matter the non-nation roles you include :D

Would there be any reworking of the map besides the cloak of darkness?

I would join this no matter the non-nation roles you include :D

Would there be any reworking of the map besides the cloak of darkness?
All the hidden land masses will be entirely new. I've started on the map and actually have the continents in place. The tedious and painful work of filling them out is next. Was that your question?

I'd consider it, yes. :)

So that's what you meant by reworking the map. I had thought that you were just going to make new nations up. :p

Will who ever voted to play the non nation role let me know what roles interest you? I did not make the poll public, so I can't see who you are.

To show what the starting map would look like, I grabbed Sheep's map and hid the areas where I will have new continents. Ignore the nations, they are sheep's.

Attachments

• Test 2 1500 world map.png
    Test 2 1500 world map.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 162
I would love to join! But I have some problems with some of the things brought up.

What exactly do you mean a battle calculator to resolve wars (not battles)?

I'll bring other stuff up when they come up ;)

I'd definitely play if it's anything like what's previewed.

I would love to join! But I have some problems with some of the things brought up.

What exactly do you mean a battle calculator to resolve wars (not battles)?

It will resolve battles and therefore wars.

What issue?

The calculator doesn't take into place tactics :p

Oh, you can win the battles and still lose the war bird ;)

Does this mean awards for Birdnes 2?!?! :D

I already brought them up.... Don't be difficult now, save it for the game. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom