1860 ad

nokmirt

Emperor
This mod is for Civilization 4 BTS 3.19. These are my changes to the 1860 AD scenario, of the GEM mod. My plan is to go up through history from the outbreak of the American Civil War through World War One. This is the first step towards that goal.

I have added units to make the game more diverse, and I went in a different direction with the tech tree. Enjoy!

I would love to give credit to Genghis Kai the creator of GEM, for an excellent mod, and to the unit creators at civfanatics forums, and there are several that created excellent units. All units added, work and look good. Now I realize that Genghis has just updated this scenario to have 48 civs, but I will stick with this version with less civs, because my computer runs it better. This version of 1860 AD runs 36 civs.

Download link here http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/82463/1860-ad

I wanted to create a discussion thread for this mod, so anyone who plays it can give me feedback one what they think.

Just curious:

1) where's the mod

2) Is this a stand-alone mod or is GEM needed (i'm not familiar with it)

3) Is this era specific with it's own techs and victory conditions(in terms of the time frame, i.e., it stops at say 1919 or so. I'd love more era specific stuff, especially ancient and classical but this is still a good timeframe. I hope CIV V will do this more in the normal game

4) Have you expanded the units at all for the era. Things like Calvary, Ironclad, cannon and later machine gun are probably apt. It would be cool to see primitive tanks, bi-planes etc.

Anyway, I will be interested to see how this works out.

Just curious:

1) where's the mod

2) Is this a stand-alone mod or is GEM needed (i'm not familiar with it)

3) Is this era specific with it's own techs and victory conditions(in terms of the time frame, i.e., it stops at say 1919 or so. I'd love more era specific stuff, especially ancient and classical but this is still a good timeframe. I hope CIV V will do this more in the normal game

4) Have you expanded the units at all for the era. Things like Calvary, Ironclad, cannon and later machine gun are probably apt. It would be cool to see primitive tanks, bi-planes etc.

Anyway, I will be interested to see how this works out.

At the download link here http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/82463/1860-ad

Yes, it is stand alone

The game has its own techs, but it is only completed so far. It will be expanded and updated over time. This starts in April, 1861, and the tech tree reaches Parrott Guns and the Ironclad Frigate. Next update, it will sart leading to the Broadside Ironclad. Eventually it will get to pre-dreadnoughts and so on. It's a work in progress. Any feedback will be helpful.

Yes I have started to expand and I have added units. I added a paddlewheel steamer, all different rifleman units so armies look more diverse. For instance I have added several units to the Sioux, Japanese, Mongols, Korea, and China to help them look more true to life. Try it out and have fun. I am going to play a whole game myself and create another add on after. Eventually, we will get to biplanes and early tanks, zeppelins, flamethrowers, stormtroopers all that stuff. It will be intense.

interesting, I wonder if they ever add the western era.... or anything similar.
Typically it will have Industrial era type techs. Maybe someday it will reach the cold war era, who knows. But thats a long way off.

uh, you do know that a bunch of us Leaderhead makers have made a lot of custom art that you could use for leaders in your mod. Especially Hitler, Mussolini, Meiji (good or 1860 Japan).... come check out our stuff!

Thanks, I will look them over.

Sounds interesting. A screenshot or two would be nice. ;)

Yes, there will be a story coming soon on civ 4 stories. But today there is a blizzard here and I am catching up on Harry Potter.

I tried play that scenario as CSA. Things look cool and all but it's a bit much even an my high-end PC. Looking that Diplo screen is hilarious with that many Civs. There's just too much going on and the ending the turn takes forever. Not saying this scenario shouldn't exist or anything, but I hope to see some more focus scenarios location and Civ wise. Maybe separate the Western and Eastern theatre for one, and an American Civil War Scenario with maybe Native Americans, Mexico,etc. would be real cool.

As for the CSA - and I only played a few turns - they seem a little nerf on units. Of course, the US had them on numbers so this should be a challenge. However, it seems that they would some remnants of a navy to work with. Regardless, very authentic how you start off with the US basically attacking Ft. Sumtner (even if it's really Richmond on the map) Oh...also note that the first use of a submarine in combat was by the CSA...interesting bit of history

I tried play that scenario as CSA. Things look cool and all but it's a bit much even an my high-end PC. Looking that Diplo screen is hilarious with that many Civs. There's just too much going on and the ending the turn takes forever. Not saying this scenario shouldn't exist or anything, but I hope to see some more focus scenarios location and Civ wise. Maybe separate the Western and Eastern theatre for one, and an American Civil War Scenario with maybe Native Americans, Mexico,etc. would be real cool.

As for the CSA - and I only played a few turns - they seem a little nerf on units. Of course, the US had them on numbers so this should be a challenge. However, it seems that they would some remnants of a navy to work with. Regardless, very authentic how you start off with the US basically attacking Ft. Sumtner (even if it's really Richmond on the map) Oh...also note that the first use of a submarine in combat was by the CSA...interesting bit of history

Yes, and just think this mod for GEM was upped to 48 civs, to me the last version with 36 is more than enough. As for the Hunley, if someone creates the unit I will gladly add it. Adding Fort Sumter was more from imagination and what happened in real life, to set the war off, than what is present on the map. I was thinking of adding a small island of the coast with a fort on it. But in reality, Sumter was not strategic in any case, so I decided against it.

As far as the Confederate Navy, I added an ironclad and two frigates to Richmond before I started, to the map, so my story could have potential to have a clash between the Union Navy and the USS Virginia, which is what occurred. I felt they needed at least a couple of ships. Thanks for trying the mod, and it will be updated when I finish my first story.

Sounds cool - will try it soon and let you know how it plays ... I think it is very interesting that there are virtually no mods for the American Civil War out there - if someone knows of another, please post a reply and link.

Sounds cool - will try it soon and let you know how it plays ... I think it is very interesting that there are virtually no mods for the American Civil War out there - if someone knows of another, please post a reply and link.

It encompasses the whole world, but yes America is divided.

Hi nokmirt,

I tested and commented on your "The Great War" mod before, now i tried this one. I really like it. I am not completely sure what you changed because i never played the original scenario.

My first thought was (and that was before i read the scenario thread) I would love to play "the great war" mod with all its unique units on this map, that would be brilliant.

I read you want to start in 1860 and go up to ww1 or up to the end of ww1 (i am not entirely sure).

One point I would raise is: - Prussia is at war with Austria in your mod, now historically what happened was: Prussia won the war with Austria (it was fought about who is taking the leading position in a new German Empire). Then Prussia together with the alliance of northern German states fought and defeated France and founded 1871 the German Empire. Whilst in WW1 now this German Empire is in alliance with Austria. (how will you manage to have an somehow realistic ww1 by starting in 1860??)

Another point, of a similar origin is: The Ottoman Empire, fought in the Balkan War against Bulgaria now in WW1 they were allies.

As well an idea for the mod is to replace the leaderheads with flags of the time like in "the great war" mod.

The technology tree needs some serious updates. I am playing the mod as the Ottoman Empire, I did not try playing it as someone else, but most technologies do not give me anything but i have to research two to three technologies like this before I get to one which gives me an advance.

Regards
Ben

Ok, I have something else to add, I thought I will just use my previous double post for that.

Just some feedback and ideas:

1 Domination Victory with 34% World Population and 51% Land is ridicules. I guess you will agree. (population 30% and land 30% seems more realistic)

2 The "Church of nativity" should be in Jerusalem.

3 Christianity should be divided into "Catholic", "Protestant" and "Orthodox" (it would limit the influence of the apostolic palace as well)

- Rome could be the holy city of Catholic Christianity, London the holy city of Protestant Christianity, and you could use Jerusalem as holy city of Orthodox Christianity.
Making the Apostolic Palace the holy site of Catholic Christianity, the Church of Nativity the holy site of Orthodox Christianity, and maybe "St Paul's Cathedral" being the holy site for Protestant Christianity

4 I remember those options you have at the beginning of the "the road to war" modification where you can choose either a complete scripted version with original events as they occurred in history or a version where at the beginning you start of with the original diplomatic situation but then you can make diplomatic agreements over peace or war, or another version where it is all open I think. Why not implement something like this, then you could start 1860 and go through the ages until 1918 or 1920. Then again, over such a long period of time it might be difficult to let the game develop like history did.

5 You should get rid of those ancient and medieval units. It is a bit weird to fight against macemen, spearmen, archers and catapults.

6 You could add a few civics which are important for that period of time.

Hi nokmirt,

I tested and commented on your "The Great War" mod before, now i tried this one. I really like it. I am not completely sure what you changed because i never played the original scenario.

My first thought was (and that was before i read the scenario thread) I would love to play "the great war" mod with all its unique units on this map, that would be brilliant.

I read you want to start in 1860 and go up to ww1 or up to the end of ww1 (i am not entirely sure).

One point I would raise is: - Prussia is at war with Austria in your mod, now historically what happened was: Prussia won the war with Austria (it was fought about who is taking the leading position in a new German Empire). Then Prussia together with the alliance of northern German states fought and defeated France and founded 1871 the German Empire. Whilst in WW1 now this German Empire is in alliance with Austria. (how will you manage to have an somehow realistic ww1 by starting in 1860??)

Another point, of a similar origin is: The Ottoman Empire, fought in the Balkan War against Bulgaria now in WW1 they were allies.

As well an idea for the mod is to replace the leaderheads with flags of the time like in "the great war" mod.

The technology tree needs some serious updates. I am playing the mod as the Ottoman Empire, I did not try playing it as someone else, but most technologies do not give me anything but i have to research two to three technologies like this before I get to one which gives me an advance.

Regards
Ben

Basically the GEM scenario 1860 ad scenario, follows standard civ 4 techs. I have started creating a tech tree to make gaining techs more realistic. For instance, ironclads will evolve to better ironclads, then up to protected cruisers, armored cruisers, pre-dreadnoughts, and then dreadnoughts. Eventually, all the units I have used in the great war mod will be in this one. However, I am going to organize my recon planes, monoplanes, and bi and tri-planes a little differently this time. I have read some interesting books about the first air war, and about some of the flying aces(and info about the planes they flew) of the time.

You ask an interesting question about Prussia and Austria, about them being at war, and then they are desperate allies during World War One. What I think I should do is have the mod split into a few parts, and then one overall mod that encompasses everything, though this would be alternate history, because you never know who will end up friends or not.

In any case I have some industrial units to add to diversify the South American countries, and I was thinking of adding a few more techs, maybe enough to get me just before protected cruisers come out. I have to do some research, and reading on the development of weapons from 1860-1895. I am also going to play some of the Civ 3 AoI v.4 mod, which starts in 1895, but it will help me get a feel for the time period I am trying to emulate with this mod. I also have opened a History thread in the forum that may help me get some info, for questions I have. There are some folks like Cheezy, Dachs, and Masada, who have fairly extensive libraries, on these subjects, especially when it comes to ships and navies of the time.

The reason I made you learn techs that lead to other techs, to gain better units and so on, is because I have the game time in weeks. And over time there is going to be plenty of turns to research new techs. I also, know I have some work to do in this department, so I am always looking for feedback. But I want things to be produced fairly close to when they were in History. I don't want machine guns in 1861, or artillery in 1861, I want them to become available when they are supposed to. So I think plenty of playtesting and tweaking will need to be done.

I want people to list if possible, the civ they are playing and in what year and month they discovered, rifled cannon, parrott rifles, paddlewheel steamer, and ironclad frigates. I want to get a feel for when theses techs become available. I realize every civ is different. For instance if you play as Morrocco, you start with musketmen, so you will have a long ways to go. But as Great Britain, with her vast empire, staring the game, discoveries come every 7-8 turns. This feedback will be important, when it comes to figuring out where to go from here. Thank you, and thanks to you Ben for your feedback( I will look into leaderheads as well). I hope everyone had a Happy Holiday, Dave

Ben, on your second post I will look into it, and get rid of the old units in the next update. I will find out how to change the churches and religions around. I had not considered that, playing as the United States, I have been abstaining my apostolic voting. To me it seems too medieval, and it should be reworked. I do not know Python well enough, so I can make any changes not requiring Python. However, later I can send the mod one to someone who know's python, to make certain changes to the mod. Also, Ben can you tell me what civs are using Medieval units, I know of only the Sioux, who have horse archers and the like. Some civs may still be primitive, but I would imagine most main civs should at least have basic gunpowder knowledge.

Ben can you tell me what civs are using Medieval units, I know of only the Sioux, who have horse archers and the like. Some civs may still be primitive, but I would imagine most main civs should at least have basic gunpowder knowledge.

The Arabians used Camel Archers, Longbowmen and Catapults.

The Abyssinian used Longbowmen and Catapults.

The Minor Nations used Macemen

They do have Gunpowder Units, but they seem to produce those medieval ones.
As well, if you could replace the Musketman with a something more fitting for the period, like for example for arabien, african and south east asian countries "armed tribesman" or something like that. For smaller "developed" countries it could be something like "armed militia"

As well, if you could replace the Musketman with a something more fitting for the period, like for example for arabien, african and south east asian countries "armed tribesman" or something like that. For smaller "developed" countries it could be something like "armed militia"

Thanks Ben, I will look into it. Some of these civs are going to be easy meat to prey on. In Africa it was like that, many of the civs would be way behind in technology. It's the same in some south east asia. Pretty much though it's going to be more modern civs that win out.

I am going to be working on a second update soon, but I want to take some time and play the game for awhile, and I will brainstorm as I go. I want to work out some more of the tech tree, and start getting to the point where I can add the world war one techs and units. I have to add the Boer commando, and I found some diverse cavalry units. I have more riflemen and cannons for South American civs, and other civs.

Before I work on the second update I want to play some more of the game. I am trying to figure out when I discover techs, and how long it takes. I have to re balance the Confederates, they were too easy to defeat. They did come after my blockade fleet but they were overwhelmed. I am going to give them more land units, so they can at least put up a fight. I have them pushed back to Texas, and they have no ports, it's December of 1861. I am at war with Brazil and they look like a pushover too.

I have started working on 1860 AD part 2. What I am going to do is add all techs right up before I start adding World War One Technology. Now all early units, maceman, longbowman, all those are going to upgrade to musketman, instead of rifleman, grenadier. This way they build musketmen instead of earlier units. I will look in to some diverse units for these civs that are backwards, but it all depends on what is in the unit graphics thread. I am limited to what I can add based on what units have been created. One unit creator named zerver has taken out all his unit creations, so my choices are very limited. In any case, I would rather fight at least a musketman, instead of a damn maceman. I re added scientific method, and then it will be Biology, Improved Farming, and then Early Medicine. After Improved Coaling, it will be Naval Armor I, and then after Ironclads I will be Ironclads II(requiring paddlewheels, ironclads I, and Naval Armor I). After Naval Armor I will be Naval Armor II, and then Improved Turret Design. Then after Ironclads II will be Improved Steam Engines and then Ironclads III(requiring Improved Steam Engines, and Improved Turret Design).

After these and new units are in place I will upgrade old units(maceman, and longbow, etc.), and add some diverse cavalry, such as Asian Cavalry(for Japan Korea and so on). I have Industrial units to add for Kmer, Mali, Mexico, Italy, and some others, many in South America, Argentina, Brazil, Chile I think. When this is done I want to rebalance the Union and Confederates for a much livelier Civil War. If there are any other suggestions, not requiring Python let me know.

1 Domination Victory with 34% World Population and 51% Land is ridicules. I guess you will agree. (population 30% and land 30% seems more realistic)

2 The "Church of nativity" should be in Jerusalem.

3 Christianity should be divided into "Catholic", "Protestant" and "Orthodox" (it would limit the influence of the apostolic palace as well)

I think I can change 1 and 2, but I do not think I can change 3 without knowledge of Python. I could ask Genghis Kai, maybe he could do something in his spare time. He created GEM for whoever does not know. I will try to get these things done in my spare time, it will take awhile, so that any other feedback can be taken into account, and changes made. Thank you, this is going to be worth it when it's finished. One thing I have changed is the modern sounds you hear when the city display is up, cars beeping and so on, I have changed that to the industrial sounds. I cannot change the RevolutionsDCM interface from modern to industrial, so I think we will have to live with that for now. But I can make it as Industrial Era feeling as possible.

RFC Protestantism uses, well, Protestantism. With an 1860 start you don't need a schism to occur, just the right buttons and such and the AP linked to Catholicism (not Christianity). I reckon the AP is the tricky bit (although you could make it obsolete, ofcourse).

Top Bottom