Test pitboss

Slowing down doesn't bother me, as I'm fairly busy at the moment. Makes sense as we enter the "big war" stage of the game that we allow more time anyway.

By the way, I've been having huge problems logging in (staying at a different house this weekend), and haven't managed to finish this turn. Off to bed now, will be able to log in from home later in the morning (~12 hours from now). Can't log in to pause myself, so if someone else could do so that'd be great. Looks like some other people could use a few extra hours to finish their turns as well. :)

Finished my turn and repaused the game with 1 1/2 hours to go (sorry about that...I had signed out the first time without pausing and luckily caught my mistake 2 hours later.... :blush: ) If anyone needs an unpause, I'll be available about 7-8 hours from now to hook you up.

Ok, I'm officially calling shenanigans on the naval tactics currently being used.

"Someone" is blockading my cities at the turn end, then moving the ships away at the start of the next turn. This is not a legitimate tactic, it's a double move. It has some ridiculous consequences:
* I log in, and my island city "can no longer continue" what I'm building there (because of resource problems). I can then however immediately reselect the same thing that I could supposedly "no longer continue". However I'm making no progress on building it as a result. If I was just legitimately blockaded I could at least build something else instead, as it is my hammers are going nowhere.
* I log in, and find my worked tiles all in a mess and some cities starving. I fix it up, then next turn it's mucked up again. So every time I finish my turn, the cities are working sufficient food, but next turn they've lost food or even population. If I was legitimately blockaded I would at the very least have known what was going on before I lost as much population as I have (I only confirmed this turn I was really losing them although it's been going on for a few turns now), I could have worked different tiles and I would have built farms by now.

And all that's aside from what is presumably the original illegitimate purpose of blockading without leaving the ships quite so exposed as they ought to be.

We've agreed that you move at the start of the turn, I move at the end, how about you stick to it. I'm extremely disappointed in this sort of dishonest play I have to say. I expected a lot better.

Actually I've been trying to play as fairly as possible. The problem is that currently turns take me 2.5-3+ hours to play (call me Mr Perfectionist :p ), and most of the time I simply don't have that amount of time available in one solid chunk. Then there are the cases like this weekend when I have even tighter constraints on when I can play, and when I have a whole lot of connection issues to boot. It's not intentional - I'd love to play a solid session every turn, but frequently that's just not possible.

Anyway, lately I've been doing the only thing I can given the circumstances: prioritising. I try to log in at the start of every turn (as agreed), and the first thing I do is to check the map for units and ensure that I do all my combats (if any) first. I'm sure you'll agree that there hasn't been a single combat move out of order in this war so far. That's been my main concern.

The blockade was an afterthought, and I'm pretty sure it only happened last turn. I hadn't considered that it would be a problem, but your logic makes sense, so I'll add it to the list of priority things to do first thing when I log in. I'm sorry for any upset caused. To be honest though, I don't quite see how it would have made an iota of difference either way, given the relative sizes of our navies (which you surely must be aware of). However, I understand the general sentiment, and it wasn't my intention to come across as "sneaky", so I'll shift any blockading to the start of the turn just for the sake of appearances (not that it'll really change anything). :)

Sorry, but I'm going to have to call BS on that justification.

It's taken me three turns to figure out what's been happening, and as a result it's happened in an identical fashion three times in a row. It's not at all a one off irregularity like you suggest. I simply cannot believe that you are unaware of the fact that you have blockaded my cities for the past three turns.

Your justification does not explain the set of actions you must have performed in order to do it. Those actions being:
1. Move the ships in at the end of the turn, and blockade. This is already a double move, but your explanation would justify this happening once, and if that was all that had happened I would accept it.
2. Move the ships back out at the start of the next turn. This must have happened a very short time after the first action, in fact I expect usually the same log-in. Nothing you've said justifies this at all. Maybe once and you could have changed your mind in a short space of time over whether to blockade or not, but not three times.

So no, it has not happened only once, and no I do not believe it was an afterthought. It will make a big difference when you stop doing it. To blockade the same area that you have been, you will need to split your fleet, and leave it within attack-and-retreat-to-city range. Maybe you have enough ships available that this isn't a difference, maybe you don't, but it's not really the point. More importantly I'll at least know which tiles are blockaded and be able to act accordingly. As it stands I've had effectively three turns of not even knowing what on earth is actually even going on, and suffered significantly from it.

Smart tactic.
Absolutely unfair, but smart, you got credit for that.

The explanations though ruined the initial impression.

It's not a "tactic", it was a mistake. Please don't try to paint a picture that isn't there.

I really don't recall any double move happening before last turn. Regardless, I'll make sure it won't happen again (by making sure blockades are set at the start of the turn). That's really all there is to it.

Whats going on with this game?

Is Classical Hero playing lately? He is under attack for few turns and he seems to do nothing. Is the game paused for him? Anyone have any idea?

If he needs sub, we can arrange something temporarily or a replacement if needed.

EDIT: Just saw CH is playing again. Game on.

I paused the game for him yesterday. Was just about to unpause it and let the turn roll over as it had been 48 hours, but he got in just in the nick of time.

Happy to not pause unless requested in future though. Otherwise, this game's going to end up taking forever to finish... especially if it's just one person we're waiting on and they haven't even asked for a pause. I guess maybe I should have just let it roll over yesterday... oh well.

He's played the last few turns.

he did say he was very busy at work right now

Okay. In that case, I suggest quitting to AI so it'll at least put up a semblance of a fight rather than sitting stagnant. :)

Sorry to see you go from the game, CH.

If the host of the game allows, I will ask a friend of mine to take over Khmers to balance the war somewhat.

I don't know if there's much point in introducing a sub to fight a losing battle (unless 2metra knows something we don't). In the past I've seen it tend to lead to bad experiences.

Either way, please let's not pause an undetermined amount of time for a "maybe" replacement for a civ in a losing battle which isn't really going to have much impact on the game anyway. :)

From this turn, we are at war with Elkad.

For now, the turn order is:

1. Elkad
2. 2metraninja

I will strongly appreciate strict turn order and no multiple logins after EOT because in these modern times it matters a lot.

Also, as this is going to be an alliance against alliance war, it will be better to split the timer and each team to make their turns in their half of the timer, so no mistakes and incidental double moves can occur.

I will strongly appreciate strict turn order and no multiple logins after EOT because in these modern times it matters a lot.

I'd strongly appreciate you not complaining about something until it's a problem... Everyone has been maintaining turn order for the entire game, we don't need another speech from you.

I'd strongly appreciate you not complaining about something until it's a problem... Everyone has been maintaining turn order for the entire game, we don't need another speech from you.

Seriously? How is that an unreasonable request? It's pretty standard practice to relinquish half the turn to an adversary when at war. And it is usually sporting to honor such a request when it arises.

LP has espionage on each of us now, and more power to him. :cool: But it doesn't seem right that he should get close out each turn with full knowledge of what our actions have been, especially since it has been documented that he is making moves at the beginning of the turn. Not that this would happen, but his build queues can be changed in response to whatever we do.

In your case, Ninja took classical's civ as a vassal and set your war in motion. As far as I can see, that locks the turn order between the two of you. And since it probably won't be long until we are all at war, it probably wouldn't hurt to establish an alliance turn order to match. You all seem gung-ho to start each turn (and who could blame you :lol: ), so having you go first works both on precedent and practicality.

If time is a concern, as LP has noted, then I have no problem extending the turn timer to 48 hours. I also would agree, as I am sure we all would, to not log in before the 24 hour mark. But you would have to agree to contain yourselves for the next 24. I really don't think that's too much to ask.

His speech about maintaining turn order was completely unnecessary. We've been maintaining it fine.

Boo-hooing about multiple logins. If the opponent hasn't played yet, it's completely irrelevant. If he played first and is done, again it's completely irrelevant.
For example. Last turn I played and finished. I neglected to complete a trade with LP. He reminded me of that a few hours later. Before I logged back in, I checked civstats to see if anyone I was at war with had already played. Since nobody had, I logged back in.

Gung-ho about playing first? I played 2nd until CH missed a turn. Wasn't a problem (and in resource wars, it's the power position).

Timer. It's the holidays, the turns are getting longer, and the wars are getting bigger. Extending it is fine, as LP and I posted on the previous page. Nobody on your side even bothered to comment on CHs request, so I assumed it was a dead idea.

Sorry, I must have a more respectful outlook on how these things work, as I am always able to stick my half of the turn when things go down. I am noticing several oversights on your team's part causing LP to jump back into the game, which have led to questions on our part. And then we are the bad guy for bringing them up.

Sorry for taking it out on you, but your reply to Ninja seemed overly defensive considering it's content. Especially for something so reasonable that is usually agreed upon in most games. There's absolutely no reason why LP needs to be the first and last to login on every turn. To me, Ninja's post was just an announcement of how things should proceed. If anything, you and I have been the speechmakers here. ;)

Top Bottom