Sirius Intra-Team Pitboss Game!

Lord Parkin

aka emperor
The game has begun. Information:

IP: daveshack.dyndns.org:2057
Civstats: http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=1755
Civstats registration password: sirius

As promised in the sign-up thread, we will be having an intra-team pitboss game exclusively for Team Sirius members, starting in the next few days (when we have enough members). DaveShack has kindly agreed to host the game for us. :)

If you are interested in playing in this game, sign up below! :D

Basically, this will be a friendly game intended to let some of the players whole are unfamiliar with multiplayer gain some experience with it in a fairly non-competitive environment. I propose we go with a "house rule" that either (a) no-one can declare war on anyone else until 1 AD, or (b) the more experienced players (such as myself, DaveShack, HUSch and Azzaman333) cannot declare war on the less experienced players until 1 AD. In the case of (b), the more experienced players CAN declare war on other experienced players before 1 AD, and the less experienced players are free to declare war on anyone at any stage. Of course, you must be honest about your experience when you sign up - no claiming you're a newbie if you've played many multiplayer games before. ;) (EDIT: Decision - no war by anyone until 2400 BC / turn 40.)

We will be playing on a Huge map, Low sea level, on either the Fractal or Big and Small map script. There will be 18 leaders in total, sorted into 9 teams with 2 leaders each. Some teams will be played by one person, and other teams may have 2 people (one controlling each civ). There is always room for another person to join, so don't be shy about signing up! :)

Signups and Leaders:

Team 1: Lord Parkin (Ragnar and Huayna Capac)
Team 2: azzaman333 (Shaka and Hannibal)
Team 3: hell_hound (Zara Yaqob) and BLubmuz (Napoleon)
Team 4: grant2004 (Willem van Oranje) and champinoman (Julius Caesar)
Team 5: fed1943 (Darius I and Mansa Musa)
Team 6: DaveShack (Pericles and Gandhi)
Team 7: Irgy and T. Claudius (Elizabeth and Genghis Khan)
Team 8: Allan79 (Louis XIV) and Altjung (Pacal II)
Team 9: caveman1917 (Lincoln) and pindicator (Augustus Caesar)

In case it wasn't already obvious, I'm definitely in. :D

I am in :) Maybe we could make this a team game a bit like your game with sistuli, pairing experienced players with less experienced players, in order to help them learn?

We might not have even numbers of experienced and less experienced players, though. Probably the best way to go about things is to have an open style of play, much like the "Test Pitboss" that's just started up in the main forum. Everyone can post screenshots of their start, and explain what they're planning to do and/or ask for advice on how to play the start. And we can keep up open communication through much of the game, especially early on, so people can hear and comment on what's going on in other parts of the world.

True, but if we do run the dual civ system this would help to familiarize people with it.

I'd be open to playing in teams for this game - in fact, it could be quite a lot of fun. I just think that if we do that, it shouldn't be with the expectation that there will be a teacher/student thing in all cases, mostly because there are a greater number of players who are less experienced compared to the number who are experienced. So if we did this, there would be a few teams where two less experienced players were paired together. As long as they didn't mind, that wouldn't be a problem. I think the key thing is to avoid having two very experienced players on the same team, as it would be a bit overpowering. ;)

Although, if we go ahead with this idea of teams, it doesn't necessarily have to be teams of two. We could have teams of 3, 4, 5 or even 6 - although the larger the teams the more complex it is to make strategic decisions together. (For instance, with teams of 6 players each, you'd essentially need another private forum for each team within that game. :crazyeye: ) On the other hand though, the larger the teams, the less imbalanced they'll be - because the presence of a strong player on a particular team is diluted more.

As long as it isn't stupidly one side the balance of power shouldn't be too much of a problem, seeing as we are only playing for a bit of fun and experience. On the other hand we don't want to make the game boring for the high level players. The last pitboss game worked well in that regard.

I am in. I'm experienced in SP (Emperor-Immortal) and somewhat in a non-simultaneous MP, like
PBEM or non-simultaneous pitboss; and I'm horrible in simultaneous (I always lose a ladder game).
Same in a team game: if non-simultaneous or if in behind position and the teamer is not too harsh,
I can handle; if I need to be fast, I'm doomed.

The game will be simultaneous turns so it doesn't last forever, but you need not worry. This is not like a ladder game where we will be playing it all in one setting; rather, it will be a long-term game where each turn typically takes 12-24 hours. So you'll have plenty of time to think, and won't have a very fast timer pressing on you. :)

I'm in. A normal game, or the teams idea, or each of us playing two would work (if 9 or fewer are signed up).
True, actually. Playing 2 civs each would be quite neat. Strange as it may seem, I hadn't thought of that, but it'd be a very good idea, as long as we're not leaving anyone out by doing it. (If we have 10 or 11 people, one or two of the players might want to team up with another person so nobody is left out.)

Open spoilers with honor rules?
Sure, sounds good to me. :)

Signups thus far:

1. Lord Parkin
2. azzaman333
3. hell_hound
4. champinoman
5. fed1943
6. DaveShack
7. Irgy

Updated the first post with this info, and I'll keep it updated from now on.

What about having a team game that you like? By that having an experienced player with some one who is not so experienced. I know when we played the team game in OT with LP and azza, I learned a lot from that, so I am thinking that a team game might help players to learn when they get help from those who are good at the game. Just a thought.

Actually that was proposed a while back in this thread. ;)
I am in :) Maybe we could make this a team game a bit like your game with sistuli, pairing experienced players with less experienced players, in order to help them learn?
The only issue is that there are not even numbers of "experienced" and "less experienced" players around here. Although I guess it could work if we had teams of 3 or 4. Would depend a lot on who got paired with who though, IMHO.

Actually that was proposed a while back in this thread. ;)

The only issue is that there are not even numbers of "experienced" and "less experienced" players around here. Although I guess it could work if we had teams of 3 or 4. Would depend a lot on who got paired with who though, IMHO.

Also, some experienced players are better than other experienced players.

Top Bottom