Test pitboss

Sorry, I must have a more respectful outlook on how these things work, as I am always able to stick my half of the turn when things go down. I am noticing several oversights on your team's part causing LP to jump back into the game, which have led to questions on our part. And then we are the bad guy for bringing them up.

Sorry for taking it out on you, but your reply to Ninja seemed overly defensive considering it's content. Especially for something so reasonable that is usually agreed upon in most games. There's absolutely no reason why LP needs to be the first and last to login on every turn. To me, Ninja's post was just an announcement of how things should proceed. If anything, you and I have been the speechmakers here. ;)

Donovan, please don't spread untruths. I haven't logged in at the end of the turn in quite a while now (although there's nothing wrong with this if nothing is being moved). I also haven't been logging in first thing every turn in a while either (although Irgy and I have been careful to schedule our moves in order). Also, I hadn't even considered changing my build queues in response to what anyone else was building (haven't really been keeping close tabs on it lately anyway).

I do agree with Elkad that 2metra rather jumped the gun a bit with his post, but never mind. I agree with the general sentiment of each alliance having a set part of the turn to perform their moves, although performing non-military actions like trading shouldn't be restricted, since it's often pretty hard to coordinate with your allies on opposite sides of the world within a 12 hour period. Maybe that's an argument for extending the timer, I'm not sure.

Incidentally, Christmas is coming up fairly fast. How are we going to arrange things over that time? Personally I'm going travelling from the 18th of December through to early January (~5th-10th), and am likely to have either restricted access or no access at all over that time. I imagine many other people are probably likely to be busy or away on holiday too.

Since the game could easily be decided by a single missed turn, at least on our side (I'm thinking in terms of a certain stack being moved twice before we have a chance to respond), we'll need to do one of two things over the holiday period - either (a) stop the game entirely, or (b) slow it down drastically.

I'd suggest the solution that's been tried successfully in the past - that is, over the holiday period the timer is extended to an extremely long time (say something in the vicinity of 720 hours). That way, if/when people have time to play they can do so, and we might get in a few turns sometimes when everyone happens to be around (which wouldn't happen if the game was completely down over this period). But it also allows for the event that when some people are unavailable or unable to play, the turn will not tick over without them having played.

Since it's now less than 2 weeks until my own holiday starts, I suggest we sort this out sooner rather than later. So, thoughts? :)

Are you Elkad feel guilty and runs without a chase? I did not said you are double moving. Only proposed alliance turn order - something that is good and clean in organization terms. With the matter of multiple logins, I was mostly referring to Lord Parkin logging in again after his opponents, technically opening the opportunity for a double move. And when he was accused few times of double moving, and I dont know any of you guys, I just want to be sure that everything will be neat and clean.

Also, I got frustrated yesterday because you were finished your turn and I logged in to play my turn and declare war at you, capturing 3 nearly undefended cities by surprise. I started assembling my armies and putting them in attack position. Next thing I knew was Lord Parkin was logged and I know he have visibility on all my territory because of espionage. I moved for about 20-30 minutes and finally was ready to launch my attack, but it happened that it was time for me to go out and I decided that will finish my attack a bit later.

Next thing I saw when I got home and logged in to finish my attack there was a nasty surprise - your previously defended by 1 rifle cities were now defended by a mech infantries + some moved from the front tanks, so I was able to capture only 1 city. It is only my guess as I dont know for sure, but I think Lord Parkin saw my preparations and sent you a message of some kind, then you logged in and acted accordingly to my moves. Technically it is not double move, as we were not in war yet, but it is not the fairest play, gentlemen.

I know, it can be only me, but I think that fairness must be always before advantage. :)

So basically, you want to make a rule against players communicating? I don't know if you're not familiar with these types of games, but... that's rather daft, I have to say.

I should also point out that if you're logging in only 8 hours into the turn when we haven't even finished playing, you can't complain about not having a "split timer".

Further, I should point out that I'm still not done playing yet (have been having some internet issues), so I'm a bit perplexed as to why you and Donovan are logging in already after all this fuss.

So basically, you want to make a rule against players communicating?

That's not at all what he was saying. The communication was not the problem in the scenario he described.

Further, I should point out that I'm still not done playing yet (have been having some internet issues), so I'm a bit perplexed as to why you and Donovan are logging in already after all this fuss.

I'd guess it's because they assumed everyone was finished. The other two had logged in and clicked end turn. You'd logged in as well. You hadn't clicked end turn, but you haven't clicked end turn (other than after everyone else has to roll the turn) for a long time. Certainly not the last 7 turns according to civstats. So you can't expect everyone to be waiting for you to click end turn.

The pms to me have been working well, although I imagine they're a bit of a pain for you. It sounds like we either have to:
1. Extend those PMs to everyone, or post in the thread or something
2. Play to a fixed 12 hour break, maybe extending the timer as 12hrs can be tight and no-one wants to miss a turn.
3. Click end turn when you're finished like everyone else does.

After a whole heap of login issues all day I finally managed to get in and play (got some out-of-sync issues while BCLG logged in, hope it didn't cause any issues). Got booted out again before hitting enter, but I'm entirely sick of trying to log in for tonight, so I'll leave it at that. Everything important is done anyway.

Translation: The 2/5 of you who haven't already done so anyway can safely log in now. ;)

So basically, you want to make a rule against players communicating?
I can quote you again about the pictures that are not there, but you want to draw it, instead of admit that you understand that I want when someone hit EondOfTurn not to login again and adjust/change things exploiting the nature of simultaneous many-hours timer. You are not guilty of speaking to your ally, it just stinks a bit that he logs again to change things.

I'm a bit perplexed as to why you and Donovan are logging in already after all this fuss.

Hey guys, after all that noise against my proposal about alliance splitting the timer, I though you are against it and I moved on by the oldest no-double-move rule - I am at war now only with Elkad, I saw that Elkad finished his turn and I logged to play mine.

Do you say now that you accept the alliance strict timer division? If so, then it is best for me.

2. Play to a fixed 12 hour break, maybe extending the timer as 12hrs can be tight and no-one wants to miss a turn.
3. Click end turn when you're finished like everyone else does.
Thats so simple and working, so I cant understand what else you have to say about it if you are not just trying to cheat and trick us :)

Tired of nameless bureaucrats making you constantly fill out pointless forms? Sick of spending time voting for this and that so often, when you'd rather be doing other things? Well, do we have good news for you! Courtesy of the friendly folks from Western Continental, you have now been liberated of the need for such trivial tasks. You can thank us later. :)

Translation: Operation "Bomb bay at Bombay" = success. ;)

Tired of nameless bureaucrats making you constantly fill out pointless forms? Sick of spending time voting for this and that so often, when you'd rather be doing other things? Well, do we have good news for you! Courtesy of the friendly folks from Western Continental, you have now been liberated of the need for such trivial tasks. You can thank us later. :)

Translation: Operation "Bomb bay at Bombay" = success. ;)

Whatever that means, make sure to wait until 24 hours have passed to check it out, team.

LP, I take it you are on board with our timeclock proposal? It seems that DaveShack has upped the timer to 48 hours without joining the discussion, so we now have the foundation to make this work.

For the record, I should avoid posting remotely from my iPhone when I don't have the time to accurately verify a situation. While I still don't appreciate Elkad's reactionary condescention to a reasonable request, it's pretty clear that 2metraninja's early login during the turn in question went against the very spirit of his own proposal. And since Ninja showed his hand before completing his turn, we'll never know if those upgrades and moves by LP/Elkad were meant to happen or not. With Elkad confident enough to press "End Turn" several hours earlier, I'm led to believe they weren't.

But now there will be no more doubt. With you three having the first 24 hours, and my team having the second 24, things like this shouldn't happen again. Is everyone okay with this plan?

Donovan:

Yeah, I noticed the 48 hour clock... probably a good idea now.

As for the split timer, sounds like a plan. We'll let you know if we're done earlier than the 24 hours this time around. (Just got a couple of minor things to discuss first.)

There are certain minor issues with a split timer that can crop up that we might need to figure out later. For instance, assuming aircraft are in place to pillage all sources of an important strategic resource (e.g. Oil), then the team that moves second will always be able to repair their bombarded resources and build resource-requiring units for the next turn, while the team that moves first can theoretically be in a position where they can never build resource-requiring units (because the second team bombards after they repair, disconnecting their resources for the "build" part of the turn). We can figure that out when/if we come to it though.

Irgy:

I'd rather you didn't, but I guess it's too late now... ;)

Donovan, I proposed the split of the timer when I saw that simple login and ending the turn will not gonna work with so dedicated players as our opponents, who needs to login so many times in a single turn.

Now if we all agree to the split timer, I will of course stick to our half of the timer.

We're done. Your turn. :)

You're up. :)

For the record, the login just now was purely diplomatic, Donovan can confirm this. Nothing at all touched or moved. (The five other half-logins were my crappy internet connection.) ;)

BCLG, not entirely happy with this unannounced out-of-order turn. Elkad and I weren't done yet, we've waiting for a chance to talk first about the situation. With all this fuss about shifting to the "we play in the first half ONLY / you play in the second half ONLY" system, it's really not appreciated when people just ignore that.

Top Bottom