Sid Meier and the 48-Hour Game

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Motherboard has posted a 23 minute long video feature of Sid Meier at a 48-hour game-making contest. The contest, titled "7th Annual Wolverine Soft 48 Hour Game Design Contest", took place at Sid Meier's alma mater University of Michigan and pits coders and designers against each other in a race to create a game in two days. Sid Meier participated in the contest and made a game called "Escape from Zombie Hotel!". In addition, he judged the games made by the student teams.

Thanks to Willowmound for posting about it.

The contest, titled "7th Annual Wolverine Soft 48 Hour Game Design Contest", took place at Sid Meier's alma mater University of Michigan and pits coders and designers against each other in a race to create a game in two days.

and thus Civ5 is born:mischief:

That was hilarious. Thanks for the vid TF!

I am just in awe about what polished game Sid created in 48 hours, it was clearly better than any of the kids games.

Great competition. Looked like some very original games. Could be fun playing Sid´s game :lol: Well deserved first place. Looked like they put a lot of effort into design and effects.

Great competition. Looked like some very original games. Could be fun playing Sid´s game :lol: Well deserved first place. Looked like they put a lot of effort into design and effects.

What time is Sid's game at? COuld find that part of the video, and too lazy to watch the whole thing.

I really like how down to earth he is. He really enjoys what he's doing, you can see that just by looking at how he's busy with the whole thing, no audio needed. If you enjoy what you're doing and can make a good living off it... very nice indeed! What more can you wish for in a job, right? Jealous! :)

I'm sure the Sid Meier tag on the games is a PR choice and not his choice. Then again if my name would sell stuff... you can be sure I would use it :)

Am I wrong in comparing him a bit to Brad Wardell in his outlook on gamedesign? These guys seem to enjoy the success the job brings them... but the most important thing to them is still being able to design games for a living.

Man, I would give a lot to be on such a 48-hours gamedesign event with a great game designer like Sid!

I am just in awe about what polished game Sid created in 48 hours, it was clearly better than any of the kids games.

The video makes it seem like Sid created that entire game in 48 hours, but he was almost certainly using a premade engine and was definitely using premade models / animations. What he did was very impressive nonetheless, but it's very lame in my opinion that they never stated this in the video, it does give the wrong impression.

Heh, I go there, and I've met some of the people in that video. Didn't see Sid Meier though.

Top Bottom