Realpolitik CIV - An Interactive AAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's because of power structures. I'm American, so I'll use US history if anyone doesn't mind.

When you have an established power structure, elections are pretty straightforward; two or three coalitions slugging it out, no repeat. In the US, that would be the Republican and Democratic party.

However, when the power structure is struck down or altered, chaos reigns until a new power structure emerges. Here, it would be the collapse of the CoF and Unity. In American history it would be around the 1860s when the Republican Party sprang forth from the remains of the Whig Party. Then, it was a four way election. Of course, Lincoln won, won the Civil War, freed the slaves, causing the Republicans to be in office for the next 25 years; in the process creating the new Republican-Democratic power structure that exists to present day. (My interpretation, feel free to correct if wrong.)

After the collapse of the CoF, if people remember, we had a chaotic 3-way election that was decided at the eleventh hour. Then Unity sprung up, creating the second power structure. Then it collapsed, and we now find ourselves in a 3-way election.

I wont guarantee anything. You dont know me that well after all these pages and months of RP do you MN?

But i wont sab just because i dont like Ilduce. Why dont you guys lay off trying to think you KNOW what im going to do?!

But i will do SOMETHING (could be anything from sabs to customized opposition actions to crazy speeches) if Ilduce implements ANY of his policies he has been going on about. Such as wonder and missionary spam right now. Such as peace RIGHT NOW. Such as stuff that is basicly the opposite of what i support.

I also believe he is very incompetent for the presidential position. He plays his own way, a very different way from what is apropraite to play as in this game. He also comes up with crazy ideas such as needing the tech rate to be at 100% all the time or else its a bad tech rate, and that the economy is defined by the tech rate. NO, i would never support Ilduce as president, and if would be elected, then i wouldnt be a very nice opposition member. Cant speak for my coalition here, but i am saying that i WOULD NOT cooperate with the government. Really, the only presidents i would truly 'cooperate' with outside my coalition would be spectrite and maybe MN.

:agree: Ilduce being Prez would not turn out good. Period.

I don't think ilduce's joining the CPS anytime soon WIM...;)

In fact if I may hazard a guess, I would say that the Imperials and the Consortorium have been planning this for...a while now. Perhaps since before Tuesday, even.

You have no idea how wrong you are, Aysee. :lol:

In any case, I accept coalition with Ilduce, reforging Aegis. My final vote goes for the PCE.

While there is still technically negotiations to be made, I'm putting myself forward as the presidential candidate because I'm pretty sure that there's more support in our coalition for me. We'll see if that changes any of the conjecture going on.

MathNerd: If your cavalry comes charging through, that'll be quite the shake up. Lookin' forward to seeing what happens.

In any case, let England grow might and powerful! We shall be a leader of nations! Whatever may happen when this election ends, I call on all Englishmen to unite for the betterment of our nation!

I would rather not see ilduce as President. Nothing against him personally, but I don't think his ideas would be best for the nation. Especially making peace immediately.

Sigh. I dont want whosit to be president either.

Well im going to have to come up with a few tricks here. Better get at it. Im gonna need some coffee...

The election is on the verge of being decided by lurkers...

(How much time left, out of curiosity?)

It ends saturday afternoon.

Well thats 2 more votes for the monks and one more for the jokers. 3 total additional votes for the patriots coalition. And i have more coming as well.

So if my tally is correct:

Patriots Coalition: 14

CPS: 11

Reformed Aegis: ??? (potential max with their existing parties is 12...)

We have till noon tommorow. In the mean time, I'll go see what I can do about scrounging up some lurker votes.

I have contacted Gruekiller already aysee. The only other one i can think of is Mr. Primm, and i dont think he would be willing to come back.

But i think we have a max of 17 votes at this point. I think that is also the CPS max IF all their lurkers vote. So we may still yet have a tie...

Well, well, well. I leave you guys for less than a month, and the thread runs up past the 300 page mark! I'm rejoining as a member of the LMP. Two things: whom are we in a coalition with, and what's the state of international affairs? (I see we're still at war with the Romans. xD)

Okay gruekiller the LMP is in a coalition with the monks and the jokers (the jokers are led by myself and include darthcaesar) in the Patriots Coalition.

International affairs is that everyone is cautious or worse with us. We are at war with rome, and are basicly in a race with the vikings to take italy by various means. I would recomend reading page 309 which has the latest gameplay update, and the last few pages to gain your bearings and to understand the situation a bit better. Especially look out for Ravus's posts, which always seem to include some of the more importantant info during this election.

Well well, quite the turn of events.

Perhaps Imperial will end up in the Opposition for the first time in history. I'll have to write up some contingency plans.

Patriots now have 16 votes!

That means that civplayah still has another vote...only he can tie the elction for us if Mn gets his lurker army in here...

Current events
You know, when i said this would be decided by lurkers i expected it to be one or two lurkers... :eek: I guess people enjoy the power that comes from throwing down a swing vote.

I certainly didn't expect the lurkers to be on my side, thats fun. Hi civplayah, i know you hate how fast and spammy this thread gets but thank you for the vote. You too Omega!

So ilduce has some of his own lurkers (and Sonereal and Nuke still have a second vote to cast) Cull and MN are bringing in some lurkers of their own... but there is definatly a divided loyalty there if said lurkers are friends with both of them while they are in different coalitions...

Keep it up everyone. And wellcome back gruekiller :goodjob:

Finally... wow. How does a party with only one active and one lurker politician end up with 9 votes :eek: crazy stuff.

Election Status
Last Update & Election started = page 309

Main Election Question

Agent Remus' Proposals -

Spoiler :
"Remus" - a deep cover agent inserted into Rome by Lighthearter within the last decade, has recently informed us that Caesar is throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the battle at Medio. If we can take the city regardless, Caesar might cave and surrender, allowing us to occupy Italia. However, if the Viking deathstack takes the city first, they'll get the same deal. Or we could send the Night Eagles to assassinate Caesar - his chief general, Pompey, is a vehement Vikingphobe and would rather see us occupy the entire Empire then let the Vikings rule in Rome. However, if we try and fail then the Copperheads will raise hell which knows no bounds. This is a matter for the next president, landing in the middle of the elections, but what do the various candidates propose?

Elections end on Friday.

- Lighthearter

Options
During chat and allready mentioned in passing on the thread are the options available to us to end the war quickly. Ragnar will not make peace with Rome. we only have 17 gold and literature to bribe him with. He isn't impressed. Our remaining options are below:

1) Negotiate with Germany.
Spoiler :
Fredrick could draft some of his people into our army outside medi. As medi only has three units, badly damaged, this could easily let us take medi and make the roman empire collaspe. Fred would probably want a lot of techs in exchange and maybe even all of italy.
Pros = High chance of sucess if negotiations go well. Germany becomes a powerful ally and a player on the political scene. Someone who would willingly convert to christianity.
Cons = Fred becomes powerful and a potential threat in the future. (He is however still "friendly") The Attack could still fail. Ragnar would be annoyed at us stealing most of the Roman cities.

2) Assassination attempt.
Spoiler :
The night eagles. The loyal unit of England are sent in to dispatch Julius. According to the informat Remus if Julius was killed then pompey would be willing to annex Rome into England rather then see it fall into Viking hands.
Pros = Gets us all of italy without risking more war. The assassination is a controllable and plannable option.
Cons = If it fails and we are implicated their could be riots everywhere. Even if we succeed and are implicated this could happen. Also we don't know if Remus or Pompey can be trusted...

3) Rush Medi alone.
Spoiler :
We have minor half dead units next to Medi. Medi itself only has three Roman units. As seen by Cull these are a Maceman, Longbow and Archer. Our units aparantly include 2 BADLY damaged maces, one cat, one horse archer, one damaged sword, one fully healthed mace.
Pros = We would show our power to europe. Taking medi ourself means we would get the most gains and be able to dictate how the war ends.
Cons = Nearly impossible to pull of. Would probably loose the great general! (he hasn't even been upgraded to a knight yet). Even if we won we'd lose the army and then have nearly no units left in all of england.

4) Negotiate with Ragnar.
Spoiler :
Ragnar has a 20+ stack of military units. He has become the european superpower (as i said he would). As we have proven trustworthy in the war ragnar would be willing to sit down and discuss how to split up the roman lands after they are killed. He would want the city we stole from under him and probably Medi (eastern europe cities) we could perhaps get Italy in exchange... All of this is suspect information and would have to be confirmed during the talks...
Pros = Easy way to end the war. We could make sure we got at least one or two cities of our choice from the old Roman empire. Could improve relations with Ragnar...
Cons = Ragnar aparantly wants to set up his own vassal as a buffer state between us... this would make waring against him in the future nigh impossible and further cement him as the european power.

-

Ravus's Unofficial Vote Tally

Politicians
Spectrite = Co-Op & PPP
Ilduce = Consortium & Green Party of England and Wales
Aysee = LMP & Monks
Arya = Joker & Monks
Death Ceaser = Joker & Monks
Mathnerd = Co-Op & PPP
Captain Fargle = PPP (Progressive Pragmetist Party) & Co-Ops
Ravus = Monks & LMP
Nukeknockout = Imperial