News: TSG1 Announcement

Erkon

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator
Civilization 5 – Game of the Month Training Series Game 1
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the first game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It’s better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition once it starts.

In this game you will play as Augustus Caesar and lead Rome to world domination. It’s a small Pangea map played at Warlords difficulty and at standard pace. The preferred victory is Domination, although all victory conditions are enabled. To achieve Domination, you will need to conquer all capitals in the world*. In other words: KILL’EM! KILL’EM ALL!!! :aargh::ar15:

Civ V - TSG1 game settings
Playable Civ: Rome - Augustus Caesar
Map type: Pangaea
Map Size: Small
Difficulty Level: Warlords
Game pace: Standard

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), and the most important: your path to glory! The first post will be updated with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in afterwards.

Starting save attached. Download to your computer, save under "..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single", load it from Civ V, and enjoy :goodjob:

* The actual requirement is to be the only civ who controls its original capital.

Attachments

• TS1.Civ5Save
    279.4 KB · Views: 1,755
  • TSG1large.jpg
    TSG1large.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 6,123
Welcome everybody. This thread is open for you to post any comments or questions regarding the TSG1 game. Once you have started playing, please use the TSG1 Game in Progress thread.

Not a complaint, but it would be nice to post a screenshot of the starting position, for those of us who aren't opening the game right away.

sorry, I didn't have time to do anything but create the save earlier. When I get a chance to I will post a screenshot for everyone :)

My game unlocks tonight, so I'll be pleased to begin playing - I got through about 60 turns of the demo last night and I must say I'm REALLY looking forward to this!

Wish me luck trying to be sure I can save it when I need to stop playing ... save functionality has been problematic for some of us (steam cloud and quicksave are all I can do reliably) ... see the bug forum for details. Still, should be good fun.

Note to self ... set autosave to 1 turn ... :lol:

dV

Wish me luck trying to be sure I can save it when I need to stop playing ... save functionality has been problematic for some of us (steam cloud and quicksave are all I can do reliably) ... see the bug forum for details. Still, should be good fun.

Note to self ... set autosave to 1 turn ... :lol:

dV

it is a lot easier to do now! It is part of the in-game menu, rather than a .ini file adjustment.

but.. I already played this exact setup, won a domination victory. my second game. It was an easy win, AI was alright (or I was lousy) in teching, but didnt build units according to their techs. so I fought spears with my legion, knights and then rifles.

Wished it would have been another leader, dont feel like playing the exact game again. but oh well.. maybe next time..

How long does the GoTM stay up? I'm still on my first game which I don't want to quit to start another, but if I can't get my act together and start this up before it's finished will the starting save still be around?

I am new to the game of the months (I have made a few half hearted attempts at Civ 3 ones a long while back) and have just completed the first Civ 5 one. I was wondering for Civ 5, where does one save for the victory? Is it a "just one more turn" save post victory? Also, where do I submit it?

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I looked and seemed unable to find it

@xxxlambo - Yes, the save stays up forever as LC stated. At least in theory since it's stored as an attachment tied to my forum account. The proper Civ 5 GOTM will be stored on a file server which is much more safer. Bottom line - you will be able to play TSG1 for a long time (as long as Firaxes does not introduce a new save format which is not backward compatible).

@Xger - Welcome! You don't submit for the TSG games, you just write down the date and score in a post over at the After Action Reports thread. We will clarify the procedure once the proper GOTM competition starts. Does this answer your question?

*When u atack a city,never EVAR try to take it with a couple of units,as specially archers

@Xger - Welcome! You don't submit for the TSG games, you just write down the date and score in a post over at the After Action Reports thread. We will clarify the procedure once the proper GOTM competition starts. Does this answer your question?
Mostly. I noticed for the TSG you guys wanted saves/replays to help build the mod/methods. What should I do to help those?

Mostly. I noticed for the TSG you guys wanted saves/replays to help build the mod/methods. What should I do to help those?

Just attach your final save to a post in the After Action Report thread. It might be useful to attach a copy of your Replay file as well, if you can find it. This may help us to work out how to interpret the saves.

Top Bottom