Civ5 for Mac on Its Way

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
According to forum member dojoboy, Aspyr Media, publisher of Civ3 and Civ4 for Mac, officially confirmed its plans to publish Civ5 during the holiday season (it seems no specific date has been given yet). Here is an email they sent out:

ASPYR MEDIA TO PUBLISH SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION® V FOR MAC

Aspyr Media bringing gaming's most prolific strategy franchise to the Mac platform this holiday season.

AUSTIN, TX - October 19th, 2010 - Aspyr Media, Inc. announced today they will publish Sid Meier's Civilization® V for Mac, the latest entry from the flagship turn-based strategy franchise. Released in partnership with 2K Games, a wholly owned publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), Sid Meier's Civilization V is the newest addition to the enormously popular Sid Meier's Civilization franchise on the Mac.

>> See the forum thread

Heck yes!

why do they release it for a mac anyways? macs aren't designed for gaming. and its market share is too low to make any decent profit from it.

There's one thing I'd like to know. Will mods be compatible with the Mac version? That is the only issue that concerns me with this. Once the question is answered, I'll know which version to get. I'm sceptical that they will be compatible (and have no understanding of the technical mumbo jumbo necessary to form an educated opinion), but I feel stupid rushing into buying the Windows version if there's even a slim possibility that the Mac one will offer the exact same benefits.

I liked their ports of IV. I hope that they will release via steamplay, but I will probably rebuy the game for my macs if necessary.

There's one thing I'd like to know. Will mods be compatible with the Mac version? That is the only issue that concerns me with this. Once the question is answered, I'll know which version to get. I'm sceptical that they will be compatible (and have no understanding of the technical mumbo jumbo necessary to form an educated opinion), but I feel stupid rushing into buying the Windows version if there's even a slim possibility that the Mac one will offer the exact same benefits.

Any of the mods out now will work on Macs, there won't be any conflict with XML, LUA or SQL. Mods that change the core files will probably work on Mac if they worked in Civ 4 on Macs, but I don't have a mac so I never looked into this :p

Their ports for IV weren't very good, so I hope they do better at not making me hate them this time.

the big question is whether or not us Mac users who bought the game via Steam to play on our Bootcamp installs will have to pay a second time for our fix and will we have to pay extra to get the DLC that we have already paid for (i.e. the Deluxe edition)....

To avoid any doubt, this is confirmed on Aspyr's website.

Mods that recompile the CvGameCoreDLL.dll will not work on a Mac unless Aspyr do a better job with Civ5 that they did with Civ4.

ARGH, no, not another Aspyr port! :(

Now that Civ's on Steam, I was so hoping for a native build, like Valve does for their own software. :sad:

why do they release it for a mac anyways? macs aren't designed for gaming. and its market share is too low to make any decent profit from it.
OS X's market share is 10% in the US now if you count iOS which is really just a stripped down version of OS X with touch add and compiled for ARM (takes 5-30 minutes to recompile for OS X)
I hope so unfortunately Aspyr makes it native not a port (everything except DLL will work)
Any of the mods out now will work on Macs, there won't be any conflict with XML, LUA or SQL. Mods that change the core files will probably work on Mac if they worked in Civ 4 on Macs, but I don't have a mac so I never looked into this :p
THis is correct
happy with the announcement of Civ 5 for Mac, not happy with the company porting it.
Same here
ARGH, no, not another Aspyr port! :(

Now that Civ's on Steam, I was so hoping for a native build, like Valve does for their own software. :sad:
Civ IV was natively a POS

Yeah ! Really Civ 5 on Macs, i will abandon my bootcamp for sure :goodjob:

Top Bottom