New Unit: Challenger 2

utahjazz7

Deity
This is the Challenger 2. It's an English modern armor flavor unit. It could also be used for the Greeks and Arabians, as Greece and Saudi Arabia have tested a Challenger 2E. Well, if something is wrong with my .zip, let me know, and I'll see what I can do. Enjoy, everyone. :D

Download New PediaIcons

Great!!!!!!!! (astrofreak is jumping like crazy in his room):) I have not tried in game yet but everything is right with the .zip file. :love: I only think that the pedia icons are a little wierd but , anyways who am I to say that Well once again great work man you´re the :king:

Utahjazz you are the fastest unit creator, there is no doubt. And very nice:)

This is actually a little too dark - i think more obvious civ-colours would have been able to off-set that. Otherwise, nice work.

Originally posted by Yoda Power
Utahjazz you are the fastest unit creator, there is no doubt.

I guess he´s trying to break a record - something like "who can make the most units before the year is over"....;)

Great unit, btw :goodjob:

Originally posted by zulu9812
This is actually a little too dark - i think more obvious civ-colours would have been able to off-set that. Otherwise, nice work.

Are you ever happy with anything?

Warning! Warning! Warning!

I forgot to mention this before. The Challenger 2, like all of my units, runs slowly in-game. I can't seem to fix it, either. I've tried quickening the animations in FLICster, the program we all know and love, but that doesn't change the in-game speed. As a result, I believe the Challenger 2 plays at 50ms in FLICster, the program we all know and love, and looks way too fast.

I just wanted everyone to know why it was playing so fast. If anyone can improve upon the in-game speed of my units, please, please, please "zip" the animation files and upload them to CivFanatics. I would be very appreciative!

Originally posted by zulu9812
hey man, I figured I was being constructive. Besides, I wouldn't moan if I didn't care...

No problem. I was just joking around because you always have a suggestion on how to make a unit better. Let me try agian . . .

Are you ever happy with anything? ;)

Also, the civ-specific colors show up quite well--better than my previous units anyway.

I've made some new PediaIcons. These are more CivIII-traditional, but the old ones were more dynamic! Take your pick. I added a link to the new icons in this thread's first post.

GREAT! I love the death flc! :D:D:D

Excellent work. It's always nice to see a good British flavour unit. I think it's time now for even more mech infantry alternatives.

Originally posted by Lab Monkey
Excellent work. It's always nice to see a good British flavour unit. I think it's time now for even more mech infantry alternatives.

More mechanized infantry, eh? Hmm . . . I'll look for something I like, but I don't remember seeing anything that jumped out at me the last time I went looking around. Maybe, just maybe . . .

Yay! Cherries and Ice cream all round! :)

Can the unit be converted to desert camouflage as in this pic...? :)

"Excellent work. It's always nice to see a good British flavour unit. I think it's time now for even more mech infantry alternatives."

For mech infantry... the British Warrior is quite popular. It's as fast as most main battle tanks and very acrobatic.

The Challenger is not mech infantry. It's a main battle tank and arguably the best the in the world (greater rate of fire, longer firing range than an Abrams, but slightly slower and the same armour, but tighter turning circle... actually, the uprgraded Abrams M1A2 uses British armour: So, as you can see it's accademic the two machines both stand head and shoulders above the rest IMHO)

Here's an example of more regular cmouflage, from Scotland's Cavalry.

Originally posted by stormbind
The Challenger is not mech infantry. It's a main battle tank and arguably the best the in the world (greater rate of fire, longer firing range than an Abrams, but slightly slower and the same armour, but tighter turning circle... actually, the uprgraded Abrams M1A2 uses British armour: So, as you can see it's accademic the two machines both stand head and shoulders above the rest IMHO) [/B]

Hmmm... the Challenger2 isn't that good tank compared to other high quality tanks in the world.

At first: on the export market it isn't very popular (for example greece and the arabian doesn't use the challanger2 like someone wrote. Greece have currently our Leopard 2A6HEL
in use and arabia the M1A2 Abrams.)
The main problem of the challenger is the fact that it is slow (Max Speed on Street: 59 km/h and on open field: 40 km/h - even the 7 tons heavier Abrams is faster (On Street: 68 km/h; on field: 48 km/h) and it's long acceleration.
It's movement range isn't very wide (about 450 km on Street - our Leopards have Range of about 550 km.)
Challenger2 it's obsolete fireleadcenter makes him slow on aiming and shooting. (The challenger2 wasn't even one time updatet in terms of combat. So the current technics are like the first challenger2s from the year 1994)
At the end the challenger hasn't any special features like our german upgrade system or the american gas turbine or the merkava swapping armor.
Challenger2 isn't a bad tank but there better alternatives out there.

I meant that Greece and Saudi Arabia could use the Challenger 2. I got my information from this site. Here's a quote.

Challenger 2E, the latest development model, has been designed for the export market and is suitable for harsh environmental and climactic conditions. The 2E has been extensively trialled in Greece, Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

k - my failure - my apologies.
Never the less greece and arabia don't use the challenger2 at all ;)

BTW: I know the site - one of the best english military pages IMO :goodjob:

Top Bottom