Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Recon777
Chieftain
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Unhappiness from specialists

Just curious - is there something other than having specialists that can cause "unhappiness from specialists" ? I have 7 cities, 3 of which are puppets. I've built theaters and am trying to get my happiness back above zero. Currently its -8 unhappy and hovering over the face informs me that its because of 21 from number of cities, 69 from population and 12 from specialists. So I went and removed ALL my specialists putting everybody back to work on the land to see how that affected things. It didn't change *anything*. A couple turns later and its still -8. Do I have to do something else to get the specialist unhappiness to go away?
Recon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:30 AM   #2
wcbarney
Know-it-all
 
wcbarney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon777 View Post
Just curious - is there something other than having specialists that can cause "unhappiness from specialists" ? I have 7 cities, 3 of which are puppets. I've built theaters and am trying to get my happiness back above zero. Currently its -8 unhappy and hovering over the face informs me that its because of 21 from number of cities, 69 from population and 12 from specialists. So I went and removed ALL my specialists putting everybody back to work on the land to see how that affected things. It didn't change *anything*. A couple turns later and its still -8. Do I have to do something else to get the specialist unhappiness to go away?
Specialists each generate 1 , the same as normal citizens. The cure for this is the Democracy SP on the Freedom Policy Tree, which reduces specialist unhappiness to 1/2 the normal amount.
__________________
Q
wcbarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Creepy Old Man
Warlord
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 295
Puppets assign specialists, especially merchants, but these do not show up on the puppet city screen. You can count how many are working tiles, and from there work out how many are specialists. You can't modify the assignment.

If you have no applicable policies, it doesn't matter, happiness-wise, whether those citizens are specialists or working a field. Democracy makes it good that puppets prefer specialists.
Creepy Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Recon777
Chieftain
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Oh I see. thanks.
Recon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:35 PM   #5
IONDragonX
Chieftain
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25
I never understood why allowing the middle class to exist (specialists) should actually increase unhappiness. You would think that a promotion from serfdom (working a tile) would actually be a relief, thus adding happiness...
IONDragonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:08 PM   #6
DemonMaster
A.K.A. Fenhorn
 
DemonMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by IONDragonX View Post
I never understood why allowing the middle class to exist (specialists) should actually increase unhappiness. You would think that a promotion from serfdom (working a tile) would actually be a relief, thus adding happiness...
If the specialists are chosen/allowed by the great leader and a form of middle class is formed that middle class will protect their rights with whatever means they have (for example by guilds) so the lower class don't take what they think is theirs. This can cause additional tension in a city.
__________________
"War, war never changes" - Lone Wanderer
DemonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:36 PM   #7
AznWarlord
Monarch
 
AznWarlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 397
I miss Civ 3 Clowns. Seriously, adding Artists should increase happiness at least, that gives me a reason to use them over engineers.
__________________
You have met Alexander the Great

. . . Reroll.
AznWarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Becephalus
King
 
Becephalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznWarlord View Post
I miss Civ 3 Clowns. Seriously, adding Artists should increase happiness at least, that gives me a reason to use them over engineers.
It doesn't increase unhappiness.
Becephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions > Unhappiness from specialists

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Advertisement

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site is copyright Civilization Fanatics' Center.
Support CFC: Amazon.com | Amazon UK | Amazon DE | Amazon CA | Amazon FR