City Defenses

Thunderbrd

C2C War Dog
A much underdiscussed subject throughout the development of this mod, when I returned to pick up the new v17, I noticed some neat new considerations and metrics in play here. I presume we've been talking more about this subject but I haven't scoured the ideas discussion thread enough to see where. So I figured we need a place to discuss just these issues.

And, of course, I have some feedback to what we currently have done so far.

Ok, so the main change I can see is that we aren't just measuring cultural % defense anymore. That's a very good thing. We also now have damage being dished out to adjacent troops by some defenses, starting with pit traps and with a march of steadily improving versions. Ironically, these tend to reduce percentage defense but dish out hell at adjacent stacks.

My first impression was, wow that's ultimate cool right there!

But that was in the early stages of the game. There are everbuilding problems with this concept as things go on.

On one hand, its really cool to have more worries than just the city defenses. So we need to make sure we continue to think like that as we evaluate this.

But here are the problems I'm seeing:

Lets start with the fact that the damage is based on %. This means that to make a building on this chain better than the last is to increase the % (there's few other ways to make it significantly improved at the moment.) Sure we can reduce unhealth penalties and so on but primarily the benefit should greatly increase, right? So we are compelled to increase the %.

Now this becomes extremely problematic when you get further and further into the game because the gap between a healthy troop standing next to the city and what they will be the round after they take this hit becomes so extreme that it makes it impossible, outright impossible, to even conceive of taking a city with an army that has a move speed of 1.

Around the time we're working with numbers like power 20 and above and are being reduced by more than 50%, even unpromoted defenders can easily fend off the most highly promoted attackers if those attackers are incapable of greater mobility than 1 space.

This, sadly, outdates the concept of melee city attackers altogether really. It forces us to rely now on mv 2 or more troops or to just throw massive amounts of fodder troops against cities that cannot be surrounded nor approached quickly enough to attack in the same round (aka surrounded by hills and no roads for commandos etc.)

Usually troops with this movement are not granted the strength reserved for the slower units, making cities directly counteract all benefits granted to the slower, more powerful units. Now we must have a city attack force of terrain ignoring horses, city attack hunters, urban combat balloons and helicopters (cool new units balloons btw...) etc. The troops once used to allow us to surround the city and take out stragglers in the field have now become the core troops for attacking the city.

Alternatively, one can now see the headquarters for Confusionism as being the single most important building in the game due to the extra movement it infuses your troops with. ONLY with that building can we create a truly effective army now.

I liked having to figure out what it would take to get around this new challenge. But now that I have, I'm not sure I like how it hedges us into those solutions.

Additionally, I'm thinking we can take this defensive concept and just improve on its design and function to the point that it matches strategic game theory to real-world effect better while improving on the gameplay overall.

Some of this would fall into C++ territory that I, myself, am unfamiliar with but if your listening AIAndy and Koshling (an absolute dreamteam you two have been btw), take note of the following suggestion:

Pit traps and such shouldn't do a flat amount of % damage to all troops adjacent to the city. Its just too oversimplified imo. If I marched an army up to an opponent city, I would expect SOME of the defenses to cripple SOME of my forces, but certainly not in any kind of unilateral easily predicted manner as it currently is.

I suggest, therefore, that every round that a unit is in hostile territory, within the worked city radius (not just right next to the city), that each invading troop has its own chance of running afoul of the defenses and that the effect of the defenses be randomized between a range as well.

So say, for example:
Pit Traps: Chance to injure an enemy unit within city radius: 20%
AND
Damage to enemy units injured: 1-10%

Such a defense would create drastically different outcomes on each city approach, still reward high mobility, and not overwhelm and incapacitate offensive efforts without question. As it stands now, I could nearly set up a completely uncapturable city. So its good cities are harder to take thanks to this thinking, but its a little too much and a little too irrational. This suggestion would fix that. But its going to take a little dll programming.

Who agrees/disagrees or has alternative ideas to solve the dillema?

I have only seen city combat in the early eras, up to the Renaissance, where having a healer in your stacks is enough to keep your main force(s) healthy while your siege units pummel the defenses to zero, so can't comment on latter city combat. However your analysis looks right in the long term.

In later eras, back when I could play that far, I would use cruse missiles to take out city defenses before moving my forces in for the kill. Looks like that tactic would not work now.

I have to agree with Dancing Hoskuld, if you supplement your army with healers you should have no problem taking a city. They cost a bunch to maintain but they are worth it. It also helps to have a great general in play to help heal your troops and make them stronger.

City sieging should be much harder to do then battlefield attacks. I also think that this damage be it from towers above or traps below is a good thing. It makes quick units more useful, healers a must and having a large amount of siege units more effective if you can quickly bombard down their defenses.

The healer isn't enough. Believe it. You get 40-60% damaged the round you move in, no chance to heal because you moved that round. Then next round the healer at best can only maintain your troop health, which is so low as it is that even unpromoted punks can eliminate you in the field, let alone making it impossible for you to attack. This means you're going to have to be too overreliant on speedy units, for even an uninjured 30 pt balloon with 0 promotions for attacking a city would be better than a 20 pt musketman with 4 city attack, 5 combat promotions and anti-every troop type known to man, when reduced to 10 and unable to gain on that every round. The healers aren't as strong and don't kick in until a round after the damage initially does.

Maybe the haler units need to be able to heal more? They are just stitched into C2C with me trying to make some modern ones as well.

The healer isn't enough. Believe it. You get 40-60% damaged the round you move in, no chance to heal because you moved that round. Then next round the healer at best can only maintain your troop health, which is so low as it is that even unpromoted punks can eliminate you in the field, let alone making it impossible for you to attack. This means you're going to have to be too overreliant on speedy units, for even an uninjured 30 pt balloon with 0 promotions for attacking a city would be better than a 20 pt musketman with 4 city attack, 5 combat promotions and anti-every troop type known to man, when reduced to 10 and unable to gain on that every round. The healers aren't as strong and don't kick in until a round after the damage initially does.

Well when I go up to a city at the very least I have a healer, a siege unit, a unit that can see spies, a great general and then some other units. I first sit there bombarding down the defenses why my units heal up. Once healed and the defenses to 0% I will start attacking with any unit that has healed. This can take a awhile to do but I can many times take a city without ever loosing a unit from vicinity damage (dying from city units is another story).

Note that I had the same thing to deal with even before applying towers and traps damage with terrain damage on. Attacking a city completely sounded by desert or tundra was just as challenging. But I bet you do not use that feature do you.

You can't heal fully. Because the damage happens EVERY round and you can't heal a troop to more than 100% healthy (then the damage kicks in before you can attack again). Thus if you just sit there, two things will happen: either you'll be able to catch up to the amt of dmg dealt every round, then be reduced again, in which case you're always at the same damaged amount (-20 to -60% of full health) OR You won't heal as much as the damage being dealt and in this case you'll be eradicated as you try to heal as every round you take more than you recover from.

Attacking a city with Riflemen at 16 when they are normally at 26 is pretty futile. And that's after the first round... it only gets worse from there and no amount of healing will make it better. You seem to be suggesting that the damage only occurs the first round? We may be too impatient to have noticed that if that's the case but it seems to happen round after round making healing only able to mitigate loss but never able to get on top or ahead.

These have been our playtested results anyhow. I mean, 10% damage from terrain is nothing on 40-60% dmg. Its also possible that our playtesting results ares a matter of the simultaneous round timing rather than the normal turn sequence you'd experience in a single player game.

Healer benefits don't stack. The field general's benefits may though... I've noticed he has a drastic impact but I'm not sure exactly what it's stemming from in his repertoire of abilities. Still... doesn't seem right to require one.

Another thing to keep in mind is how snipable healers can be... my healer was killed early in my war tonight despite being safe in the stack. Savage war it turned out to be let me tell you. But I did alright... then again that was largely due to mostly attacking from boats and using 2 mv troops stationed outside the city until they rushed in to attack.

But yeah, kudos to you Koshling on some of the strategic AI improvements... wow. Tough fighting indeed!

I usually have a few stacks that travel together, a siege stack, an army stack and my non-combat stack with has healers, field general and either a dog or a rogue to look for hidden units. I sometimes even have separate mounts who pillage and then run back to the stack. I am not sure if it makes a difference if they are all together or not.

Isn't the point here that you are now required to be "specialized" to capture a city?

So what happens if you can't specialize? You can't capture any more?

If I can't take a balanced Main unit army up against a city and attack it any more then there IS a Big problem.

It was already to the point that if you don't have a siege weapons you were greatly hindered. Now it's even worse. I need WC's, GGs, and healers and assassins and arsonists and.....the list goes on. Too Much I think!

JosEPh

We have been considering using spies for that... of course the espionage costs are tremendous if you're going to do that to every city along the way. If we weren't struggling to keep up with just the buildings in our cities this might be a more feasible option as well.

@Joe: agreed, and more disturbing is the fact that we're now being compelled to abandon all previous strategies in favor of new counterintuitive ones. (aka using only mounted for city attack, etc...)

We have been considering using spies for that... of course the espionage costs are tremendous if you're going to do that to every city along the way. If we weren't struggling to keep up with just the buildings in our cities this might be a more feasible option as well.

@Joe: agreed, and more disturbing is the fact that we're now being compelled to abandon all previous strategies in favor of new counterintuitive ones. (aka using only mounted for city attack, etc...)

I like your earlier suggestion that rather than auto-damaging all units each turn this defense type should just give a chance of damage each turn (possibly just adjacent, possibly in city worked area, that's not the fundemanmtal aspect - the 'chance' bit is).

Another thing this sort of defense (pit traps, tank traps, etc.) could have the capability of doing (not all instances maybe, but makes sense for at least pit traps and tank traps) would be adding moveemnt cost to city-adjacent tiles for enemy units. That way you could build a COMBINATION of chance-to-damage and bog-down improvements which would be balanced by the damage probability and also invalidate the dart-in-and-out-all-in-one-turn tactic which isn't very realistic.

NICE thinking Koshling! That'd work wonders I think... but then again, it shouldn't invalidate Helicopters abilities to ignore terrain mobility, right?

So such defensive buildings would have an xml field to help them define range (either immediately adjacent or full city working radius.) Pit traps and such would be throughout the entire city working radius while something like a ballista tower would only function on immediately adjacent units (but would be a lot more injuring when it strikes). And they'd have an XML field to define mobility hindrance (increases terrain movement costs for enemies within its range.)

Anyhow, you do realize you'd be the guy I'd be turning to for the coding work on this right? lol! Such coding would be FAR outside of my realm of understanding how to enact. Its wonderful to see you like the idea though because it gives me hope we may see some development on this end!

NICE thinking Koshling! That'd work wonders I think... but then again, it shouldn't invalidate Helicopters abilities to ignore terrain mobility, right?

So such defensive buildings would have an xml field to help them define range (either immediately adjacent or full city working radius.) Pit traps and such would be throughout the entire city working radius while something like a ballista tower would only function on immediately adjacent units (but would be a lot more injuring when it strikes). And they'd have an XML field to define mobility hindrance (increases terrain movement costs for enemies within its range.)

Anyhow, you do realize you'd be the guy I'd be turning to for the coding work on this right? lol! Such coding would be FAR outside of my realm of understanding how to enact. Its wonderful to see you like the idea though because it gives me hope we may see some development on this end!

Yes fine, none of that would be hard to do.

That'd be really cool! And I suppose for the benefit of some very powerful future defenses, the current universal damage to adjacent units field could be maintained in the code to add further dimmension to defense.

Pit traps and such shouldn't do a flat amount of % damage to all troops adjacent to the city. Its just too oversimplified imo. If I marched an army up to an opponent city, I would expect SOME of the defenses to cripple SOME of my forces, but certainly not in any kind of unilateral easily predicted manner as it currently is.

I suggest, therefore, that every round that a unit is in hostile territory, within the worked city radius (not just right next to the city), that each invading troop has its own chance of running afoul of the defenses and that the effect of the defenses be randomized between a range as well.

So say, for example:
Pit Traps: Chance to injure an enemy unit within city radius: 20%
AND
Damage to enemy units injured: 1-10%

Such a defense would create drastically different outcomes on each city approach, still reward high mobility, and not overwhelm and incapacitate offensive efforts without question. As it stands now, I could nearly set up a completely uncapturable city. So its good cities are harder to take thanks to this thinking, but its a little too much and a little too irrational. This suggestion would fix that. But its going to take a little dll programming.

Who agrees/disagrees or has alternative ideas to solve the dillema?

i like this very much

What about actual tile improvement traps? Workers or other specialized units could lay out pits, traps, trenches, mines, etc. Or even further for more future time periods, tile improvement defenses like anti-air turrets and guns that can damage nearby enemies.

Top Bottom